Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
I suspect that there is some obscure third party software involved. Or undetected malware. At this point, I would format the whole disk and do a clean install.

DS
There's not that much software on that laptop, and I doubt malware is involved, since I go mostly to weather sites, read email and use Skype to talk with my grand daughter. For news, its WSJ mostly. Occasionally, Pravda (NYT) or Izvestia (WaPo).I do have up-to-date virus/malware software, Commodo.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I did ask for Apple help. They said, restart Command-C, when the utilities screen comes on, open Terminal, type "resetpassword" and the password utility will allow resetting the passwords. I did that, it only worked ONCE, on update from 10.13.6 to Mojave 10.14.0, never again. Couldn't tell if I lost anything, because I couldn't even log on. Its a laptop, and I couldn't even let it go to sleep without losing the ability to log on again. Like I said, the crappiest OS since 10.0.0. I need to keep it up to date, but my wife uses it too, and she could not with this OS.

it's not the OS, it's something happening on your mac. did you try resetting the password after you installed mojave?

also, you don't need comodo, and there's no need to reformat and start over. at the least, if everything's working on 10.13.6, you're probably ok...

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
it's not the OS, it's something happening on your mac. did you try resetting the password after you installed mojave?

also, you don't need comodo, and there's no need to reformat and start over. at the least, if everything's working on 10.13.6, you're probably ok...
Thanks, but yes, I did input a new password of the same length as the old one. Everything was (and hopefully, still is) running well on 10.13.6, but I haven't had time to check it all out (finished overnight). BTW, a restore from a Time Machine backup starts by reformatting the HD, in case you didn't know that.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Thanks, but yes, I did input a new password of the same length as the old one. Everything was (and hopefully, still is) running well on 10.13.6, but I haven't had time to check it all out (finished overnight). BTW, a restore from a Time Machine backup starts by reformatting the HD, in case you didn't know that.

a new password can be any length you want; and i was referring to reformatting before installing mojave. next time, you can ask this community for help before you revert your OS. but hope all's ok, and you're back in business.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I gave up on Mojave. Couldn't restart without losing all user passwords on 10.14.0. Upgraded to 10.14.1, and the no user passwords working continued. Reverted back to 10.13.6. Damned crappy OS, Haven't seen anything like it since the days of OS-X 10.0. Been using Macs since OS 7 (ppc) came out. I really hope Apple people scan these pages to find bugs to fix.
Uh, are you sure iCloud Keychain was turned on when you upgraded to Mojave?

I haven't had any issues with Keychain on my system, so I know for sure that it does work. Maybe just do a clean install?

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
a new password can be any length you want; and i was referring to reformatting before installing mojave. next time, you can ask this community for help before you revert your OS. but hope all's ok, and you're back in business.
No problem. Reformatting before installing Mojave is a no-go. Don't have a way to do that unless I re-install 10.14.0 from the Time Machine backup, and I really don't want to go that route. I originally updated because crappy Microsoft said the current version of Skype would be disabled by July 2019, and that would eliminate video from my granddaughter, something I would miss greatly. Newer revisions will be for Mojave and later, I expect.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
No problem. Reformatting before installing Mojave is a no-go. Don't have a way to do that unless I re-install 10.14.0 from the Time Machine backup, and I really don't want to go that route. I originally updated because crappy Microsoft said the current version of Skype would be disabled by July 2019, and that would eliminate video from my granddaughter, something I would miss greatly. Newer revisions will be for Mojave and later, I expect.

where did you read that about skype?? haven't heard that. and i had suggested not reformatting... at all. also, no reason to think that skype's current version won't continue to run for some years... but why would skype discontinue video? isn't that exactly what it's for??

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
I got an email from them at my office address saying they were going to do that. When Microsoft bought the company, the first thing they did was kill the ppc version years before I bought this laptop I'm on. Can't use Skype at the office either - firewall won't allow it, and the IT folks won't put a drop outside it in my office.

BTW, I don't have an iCloud account. So when it asks for one, I ignore it.

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I got an email from them at my office address saying they were going to do that. When Microsoft bought the company, the first thing they did was kill the ppc version years before I bought this laptop I'm on. Can't use Skype at the office either - firewall won't allow it, and the IT folks won't put a drop outside it in my office.

BTW, I don't have an iCloud account. So when it asks for one, I ignore it.

they're killing off skype classic, not the app completely. and why not icloud? you'd have facetime as an option. anyway, whatever works.

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
That (facetime) would work for my cousin in Ohio, because she has an iPhone, but my daughter does not - she has a pc household. I have skype on my Samsung phone anyway, but that is not very satisfying (small screen). As I get older, my vision is slowly deteriorating.

interessiert

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Here my story with 10.14.0 and update to 10.14.1:

Change from 10.13.6 to 10.14 was done without any interference. The only I realized was that screenshots needed more time to arrive at desktop ;)

Update to 10.14.1 with iMac as a lame duck: printing of photos needed exorbitant time, at once warning of SSD space limit – before I read 139GB of 1TB left – then file corruption with good synchronization App Sync Folder Pro, even slow behavior on LibreOffice/OpenOffice – ventilator was to hear in arousing waves with maximum power (never had this before on my iMac 27" Mid 2015 i7 32GB). What to do? Help of macOS HD Utility and cleaning with OnyX brought no improvement.

The only reason I thought could be: this time I allowed Apple to analyze my Mac... :apple: :rolleyes:

First I tried to overwrite 10.14.1 with combo update – no success, same mess.

Then I returned over TimeMachine to 10.14 – worked again properly – but who wants to stay without security updates ? I had to choose between TimeMachine return to 10.13.6 (with offered security updates for macOS and Safari) with the disadvantage to renew all folders/files, Mail and Fotos etc. – big work ahead – or what I did finally:

Over cmd+r I reinstalled macOS (they just offer the newest version) and got 10.14.1 on iMac working quite ok for now :)

Last edited:

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
This is a weird one, but since the 10.14.1 update, I've been regularly getting an irregularly dotted or dashed line forming in Mail, between the column with your mail accounts in it and the column with the message headers. This is happening on both my computers.

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
I hear you. I went from 10.13.6 to 10.14.0 seamlessly, but then my passwords didn't work anymore. Apple help said to re-boot with command-C or command-R to get into the help utility. Said use terminal from the utilities menu and type passwordreset and a reset window would appear. So far, so good. created new passwords for my user accounts, everything went fine. I was able to log in. I have a laptop with I5 processor, 16 Gb RAM, 500 Gb Samsung SSD. Takes forever to boot under both 10.13.6 and 10.14, so I left it on (used Terminal to keep it from going to sleep). When 10.14.1 came out, install went well, but the laptop had to restart. Passwords AGAIN failed. Passwordreset utility CLAIMED passwords were reset, but I still could not logon. Reverted to 10.13.6, and everything on the laptop works again. 10.14.1 Mojave is still not for prime-time. Didn't try Onyx, because some functions require a restart, and I didn't want to have login problems.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I hear you. I went from 10.13.6 to 10.14.0 seamlessly, but then my passwords didn't work anymore. Apple help said to re-boot with command-C or command-R to get into the help utility. Said use terminal from the utilities menu and type passwordreset and a reset window would appear. So far, so good. created new passwords for my user accounts, everything went fine. I was able to log in. I have a laptop with I5 processor, 16 Gb RAM, 500 Gb Samsung SSD. Takes forever to boot under both 10.13.6 and 10.14, so I left it on (used Terminal to keep it from going to sleep). When 10.14.1 came out, install went well, but the laptop had to restart. Passwords AGAIN failed. Passwordreset utility CLAIMED passwords were reset, but I still could not logon. Reverted to 10.13.6, and everything on the laptop works again. 10.14.1 Mojave is still not for prime-time. Didn't try Onyx, because some functions require a restart, and I didn't want to have login problems.

the fact that your mac takes 'forever to boot' indicates a problem. again, mojave itself is not the issue (since this isn't a commonly-reported issue); might be worth having your mac checked out.

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
The problem is that they seem to hate anything Samsung. My SSD booted fast as lightning under Sierra 10.12. When I went to this forum for help on that issue, they said only SSD's (at thrice the price I paid per Gb) from OWC were the only ones supported. My only solution for that is to revert to my original 5400 rpm HD. I don't want to pay $200 for 500 Gb. An identical Samsung SSD boots my ancient PPC G4 450 MHz in < 1 minute.

Reactions: a3w275

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
If I cannot find the original 5400 RPM, 500 Gb hd, I can get another on Amazon for a reasonable price, & just might upgrade to a 1 Tb drive. I'll clone my current HD onto that, install it, and try Mojave once more. A spinning HD takes a long time to boot, but not as long as Mac forces on a Samsung SSD. I saw one WD for $50.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Sigh ... rMB (2015) - my "You are not connected to the internet" on awakening is back. :(
Damn.

Other item, on wake, it connects to my 2.4ghz instead of the 5ghz where it was when I closed the lid. :(

Last edited:

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
Sigh ... rMB (2015) - my "You are not connected to the internet" on awakening is back. :(
Damn.
I reverted back to 10.13.6, where everything works, including the internet. However, I'm going to have to do some delicate surgery on my MacBook to swap out the SSD for a regular HD at some point, if I can't find the original. Had the Samsung SSD for > 2 years. ifixit.com has(had) the breakdown on its site. Hope its still there to guide me.

Reactions: dk001

rob.shaw

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2018
Johannesburg, South Africa
Problem with OneDrive on Mojave 10.14.2

I find that I now cannot right-click in the OneDrive Cloud Icon on the Menu Bar - if I do, the application freezes and reports non-responding in my Activity Monitor and I have to Force-Quit.

The app does work if it has already been set up but I now cannot add another account as I can't right-click.

Anyone finding the same problem and is there a fix?

Thanks, Rob

lloyd1981

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2013
Miami
Problem with OneDrive on Mojave 10.14.2

I find that I now cannot right-click in the OneDrive Cloud Icon on the Menu Bar - if I do, the application freezes and reports non-responding in my Activity Monitor and I have to Force-Quit.

The app does work if it has already been set up but I now cannot add another account as I can't right-click.

Anyone finding the same problem and is there a fix?

Thanks, Rob

Same issue. The app appears to be inactive but the menu bar "cloud" starts a pinwheel. The app does show as unresponsive in Activity Monitor but does not show as a running app in the finder's Force Quit.

Apparently, the fix will have to come from MS. The latest version appears to be 18.192.0920 / 11/02/18

Mac Mini ~ Mojave 10.14.2 Beta 18C31g

Reactions: ajayjp

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Since there is no thread for 10.14.1, I will write here.

Safari is unnecessarily cleaning up the menu bar, even though there is plenty of space:
Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 6.17.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 6.22.18 PM.png

dougmon

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
A small thing, but I can't find a mention of it here:

No matter what the CD settings are, iTunes will open when a music CD is inserted. I set the CD settings to ignore the insertion of music CDs, but iTunes still opens for a new musicCD.

I hope that this isn't the way it's supposed to work, because it feels like a step backward.

lanceh5

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
My problem with upgrading from 10.14.0 to 10.14.1 is the Mac Pro locking up, no mouse and no keyboard running SETI and trying to open Apple Maps. I have to turn off the power to the computer and external hard drives then tun the power back on. I can not use Apple Maps, it locks up the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.