Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
If I cannot find the original 5400 RPM, 500 Gb hd, I can get another on Amazon for a reasonable price, & just might upgrade to a 1 Tb drive. I'll clone my current HD onto that, install it, and try Mojave once more. A spinning HD takes a long time to boot, but not as long as Mac forces on a Samsung SSD. I saw one WD for $50.

Update: I did a clean install OS 10.14.1 on a new 1-Tb Seagate 5400 RPM drive. Everything is good, except for Word. A copy my son bought for me failed, because it asked me to sign in again, but when I did, they said I had too many machines using it. Big lie, it was a replaced HD, but there's no way to complain to them about it.

Last edited:

ccorry

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Has anyone a way to get external CD/DVD disk drives to recognize blank discs with Mac OS 14.1 Mojave on a Mac mini? I've tried it with Samsung and Verbatim drives, Geek Squad couldn't fix it, and City Mac here in Colorado Springs has no answers.
Both the external drives work with recorded material on the disk, just not when I insert a blank disc.

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
There's not that much software on that laptop, and I doubt malware is involved, since I go mostly to weather sites, read email and use Skype to talk with my grand daughter. For news, its WSJ mostly. Occasionally, Pravda (NYT) or Izvestia (WaPo).I do have up-to-date virus/malware software, Commodo.

I got a new 1 Tb Seagate Drive, since Apple seems to have a problem with Samsung SSD's. Did a clean install, and moved apps slowly. So far. so good. Only major problem seems to be the MS office my son got me a couple of years ago. MS wanted me to sign in, I did, and they said I had too many machines. Lie, only a replaced HD. Go figure.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I got a new 1 Tb Seagate Drive, since Apple seems to have a problem with Samsung SSD's. Did a clean install, and moved apps slowly. So far. so good. Only major problem seems to be the MS office my son got me a couple of years ago. MS wanted me to sign in, I did, and they said I had too many machines. Lie, only a replaced HD. Go figure.

I believe you can deregister your old machine if you log into Office 365 online...

notgonna

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2018
Update: I did a clean install OS 10.14.1 on a new 1-Tb Seagate 5400 RPM drive. Everything is good, except for Word. A copy my son bought for me failed, because it asked me to sign in again, but when I did, they said I had too many machines using it. Big lie, it was a replaced HD, but there's no way to complain to them about it.

There is a way. Call Microsoft support, and they'll go through a series of question and then reset your software/account enabling Office on the new drive. I've had to do this twice over the last many years. I don't have the number, but a few transfers and they fixed it. Good luck

Have your serial number "key" handy.

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
There is a way. Call Microsoft support, and they'll go through a series of question and then reset your software/account enabling Office on the new drive. I've had to do this twice over the last many years. I don't have the number, but a few transfers and they fixed it. Good luck

Have your serial number "key" handy.
Thanks for that insight. I'll do so when I find the original install DVD - I have it somewhere, just have to locate it.

gobilly

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
Mail is totally useless now.. connection problems.. and super slow when it does coonet.. messages will not stay deleted or moved.. total nightmare

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Mail is totally useless now.. connection problems.. and super slow when it does coonet.. messages will not stay deleted or moved.. total nightmare

you have a mail issue, this isn't a common issue with the OS. apple mail? gmail or?? start a new thread, post some details... and maybe someone here can help.

Teddybear093

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2018
Brooklyn, New York
I'm r
Has anyone a way to get external CD/DVD disk drives to recognize blank discs with Mac OS 14.1 Mojave on a Mac mini? I've tried it with Samsung and Verbatim drives, Geek Squad couldn't fix it, and City Mac here in Colorado Springs has no answers.
Both the external drives work with recorded material on the disk, just not when I insert a blank disc.
I'm running a 2017 27" iMac with Mojave 10.14.1(on an external drive as I'm running Sierra on my main drive) and I have no trouble with burning CD/DVD/Blu-ray discs with Toast 15 Titanium on a OWC/LG external burner. Blank discs are recognized as so.
What external burners and software are you using? It's possible your burners are not being recognized because of firmware issues.
I'm assuming you had no issues with High Sierra or Sierra? Perhaps a clean install of Mojave might clear up the problem.

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
Thanks, I'll try, but it is only the HD, not a new machine.
So far, no good. I cannot find any way to de-register the old drive. They wanted access to my laptop, I granted it, and they sent a new copy, but the same problem prevails, I cannot register the newer installation on my new HD. Go Figure. Next, I will try a phone call.

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
Got it, finally. I contacted them 5 times, and only the last rep seemed to know not only what was wrong, but how to fix it as well. You were right about needing to contact them multiple times.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
I'm running 10.14.1 on a spanking brand new 15" MBP. Actually it's my second one. The first one kept getting the dreaded spinning beach ball, would not force quit w/o setting down the computer and would crash when in sleep mode. Went to the Apple store and they gave me a totally brand-new replacement which still shuts down completely when in sleep mode.

Reactions: NoLoginUser

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I'm running 10.14.1 on a spanking brand new 15" MBP. Actually it's my second one. The first one kept getting the dreaded spinning beach ball, would not force quit w/o setting down the computer and would crash when in sleep mode. Went to the Apple store and they gave me a totally brand-new replacement which still shuts down completely when in sleep mode.

a software issue? ie an app or something you've installed/migrated? and check your electric outlets, perhaps try plugging in to a different outlet.

carolinom

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2018
Hello all!
After upgrade to Mojave Developper Beta 10.14.2 (18C48a) i'm not able to run any of apple apps. like mail, calendar, app store.... please help!
Anyone with this same problem?

Starman535

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2018
a software issue? ie an app or something you've installed/migrated? and check your electric outlets, perhaps try plugging in to a different outlet.
My 2015 Macbook Pro always shut down when in sleep mode. When I do not want that to occur, I fire up either Terminal or XQuartz to prevent that. Its done that ever since I bought it, so I think its a Macbook thing, not so much a software issue.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
My 2015 Macbook Pro always shut down when in sleep mode. When I do not want that to occur, I fire up either Terminal or XQuartz to prevent that. Its done that ever since I bought it, so I think its a Macbook thing, not so much a software issue.

have you tried resetting the nvram & the smc?

Joobs333

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2016
Anyone having bluetooth issues since upgrading to Mojave? My apple wireless keyboard connection keeps on dropping out and reconnecting. Ive deleted the bluetooth plist file, reset the bluetooth module, done a factory reset of my bluetooth devices, reset the smc, and the problem is still happening.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Anyone having bluetooth issues since upgrading to Mojave? My apple wireless keyboard connection keeps on dropping out and reconnecting. Ive deleted the bluetooth plist file, reset the bluetooth module, done a factory reset of my bluetooth devices, reset the smc, and the problem is still happening.

do you also have a BT mouse? is that working ok? (or any other BT devices to check). it could actually be that the keyboard is failing...

Joobs333

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2016
do you also have a BT mouse? is that working ok? (or any other BT devices to check). it could actually be that the keyboard is failing...

I connected a spare keyboard, hasnt disconnected so far, you might be right. Do you know if intermittent disconnecting is a typical behavior of a failing apple wireless bluetooth keyboard? thx

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I connected a spare keyboard, hasnt disconnected so far, you might be right. Do you know if intermittent disconnecting is a typical behavior of a failing apple wireless bluetooth keyboard? thx

ha, i don't know anything; i use macbooks, but... if the spare keyboard works, seems to suggest the issue is with the original keyboard.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
-I am running dark mode and changed the accent color from blue to green, then back to blue. The menu bar time machine dropdown highlighting still stayed green, despite everywhere else being blue. Restart fixed it.

-Periodic odd behavior with wallpapers when connected to an external display, hard to describe.

-Clicking the iCloud Drive sidebar option in Finder results in a quick highlighting of that sidebar but then the highlighting disappears. A second click highlights it properly.

All small stuff, but there is definitely some polishing to be had IMO.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Hello all!
After upgrade to Mojave Developper Beta 10.14.2 (18C48a) i'm not able to run any of apple apps. like mail, calendar, app store.... please help!
Anyone with this same problem?
New beta 4 is out might fix it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.