Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
What happens when you restart in a Safe Mode? If in Safe Boot all is well then it has something to do with 3rd party kexts that you could've have updated and the update hit the system performance.

On a side note, I'm having another problem: stock dictionaries typically shipped with macOS (Thesaurus, Oxford) got missing after a recent re-installation. Did you run into that? If no, and you have these files in your system could I kindly ask you to share them? The only solution, as it seems, is restoring them from a TM back-up but I don't have one.

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
Found the test files and made a bootable USB.

I ran the AHT and got this error.

4sns/1/C0000008: Te1S- - 142

Anyone know what sensor that is?

@h9826790 any ideas? ?

Attachments

• PXL_20210627_053850482.jpg
    PXL_20210627_053850482.jpg
    803.5 KB · Views: 128

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
Error from PCIe slot 1 device temperature sensor.

This is expected due to the sensor reading from your 280X is not supported.
Ok cool.

So nothing to worry about?

Reason I did the AHT is because my Mojave installs keep corrupting.

While in operation everything works fine. But then all of a sudden when I turn the machine on to start work the apps stop launching. Nothing fixes it except a clean install.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Had Mojave permanently restarting with grey error screen just seconds after finishing booting.
-Booting from another Mojave drive gave the same behaviour.
-Booting in safe mode failed too.
-Windows10 ran, albeit felt slightly slower.

Finally the culprit was a buggy SD card in the SD-slot of my MBA, once removed everything ran well again.
Reformatted the SD card under Windows fixed all problems.

A buggy SD card should not completely crash an OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkC426

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
A buggy SD card should not completely crash an OS.
TBH, depends.

In terms of data integerity, when any storage issue are detected, the OS / file system should stop at there, and avoid corrupted data writing.

Of course, for normal home user, most of us prefer the computer just keep working. But I can understand the logic why a simply SD card (external storage) issue can crash the whole OS. Most like it's not the SD card crash the OS, but the OS was designed to crash when this kind of issue happen.

Reactions: decafjava

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
TBH, depends.

In terms of data integerity, when any storage issue are detected, the OS / file system should stop at there, and avoid corrupted data writing.

Of course, for normal home user, most of us prefer the computer just keep working. But I can understand the logic why a simply SD card (external storage) issue can crash the whole OS. Most like it's not the SD card crash the OS, but the OS was designed to crash when this kind of issue happen.
A well designed system should stop writing to that card, and report a problem, eventually unmounting it, but there is absolutely no reason to crash a complete system on a defective SD card (which does not carry the OS itself).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.