Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
2) You need to enable TRIM manually by yourself
Code:
sudo trimforce enable

I have the same issue, TRIM was always enabled but somewhere in the process of updating Mojave it became disabled. I have 3 internal SSD's (Samsung) and all have TRIM disabled no matter what I try. I even bought Trim Enabler and although it indicates "everything looks good" it remains disabled.
But here's the thing... when I boot into recovery command-R and try sudo trimforce enable in Terminal... it says "command not found". :confused:
Perhaps I have an old recovery partition, but not sure how to fix that or troubleshoot it.
High Sierra is sure looking good right now. Mojave has become frustrating.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have the same issue, TRIM was always enabled but somewhere in the process of updating Mojave it became disabled. I have 3 internal SSD's (Samsung) and all have TRIM disabled no matter what I try. I even bought Trim Enabler and although it indicates "everything looks good" it remains disabled.
But here's the thing... when I boot into recovery command-R and try sudo trimforce enable in Terminal... it says "command not found". :confused:
Perhaps I have an old recovery partition, but not sure how to fix that or troubleshoot it.
High Sierra is sure looking good right now. Mojave has become frustrating.
The sudo command does not even exist on Recovery, it's not needed since the user is already root.

Btw, you have to enable or disable trimforce from your macOS install, not Recovery or Installer.

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
The sudo command does not even exist on Recovery, it's not needed since the user is already root.

Btw, you have to enable or disable trimforce from your macOS install, not Recovery or Installer.

Hi Alex.
That's the 1st thing I tried (just opening Terminal from my main account) but the command just doesn't stick for some reason.
Everything seems to go through as it should, I wait for Terminal to reboot, but when I check System Report it says "no" beside each SSD's TRIM state.
I guess I'll just keep trying the process with fingers crossed.?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi Alex.
That's the 1st thing I tried (just opening Terminal from my main account) but the command just doesn't stick for some reason.
Everything seems to go through as it should, I wait for Terminal to reboot, but when I check System Report it says "no" beside each SSD's TRIM state.
I guess I'll just keep trying the process with fingers crossed.?
Try with a clean install on another disk, maybe your problem is your Mojave install since you tried different things.

Remember, enabling TRIM activates it only with the macOS install that you are running now. It's not system wide, you have to enable it for each one of your Mac Pro macOS installs.

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
Try with a clean install on another disk, maybe your problem is your Mojave install since you tried different things.

Remember, enabling TRIM activates it only with the macOS install that you are running now. It's not system wide, you have to enable it for each one of your Mac Pro macOS installs.

Thanks Alex, I'll definitely try that.

Zippy3505

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Indiana
Is there any reasonable to downgrade to Mojave to see if it solves my random reboot/kernel panic issues with Catalina? App Store won't let me download Mojave. Ty

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Is there any reasonable to downgrade to Mojave to see if it solves my random reboot/kernel panic issues with Catalina? App Store won't let me download Mojave. Ty
You can use installinstallmacos.py to download the installers, from macOS High Sierra to Catalina.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Just a warning that the latest Security Update 2020-006 (released today, Nov 12, 2020) caused issues for some users, including myself:

My Mac was / is running on 10.14.6 for months. I never had issues until this update.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Just a warning that the latest Security Update 2020-006 (released today, Nov 12, 2020) caused issues for some users, including myself:

My Mac was / is running on 10.14.6 for months. I never had issues until this update.
Google News has an article, actually a link to:
which shows some to many users had slow downs due to an Apple server overload.
Maybe we need to start a new thread on the 006 update.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
One more bug in Preview (a butchered app since Mavericks) prevents the effect of a dimming overlay (the Overlay Mark-Up tool) from saving in Quick Look mode. In open app mode, if you open the image with a dimmed area you cannot apply the tool again without a subsequent darkening of the image like adding a 1 f-stop with every repeated use. Lame engineering.

Last edited:

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
I have a very strange recurring issue with my Mac Pro.
Every time Apple issues a new security update, or update of any kind for Mojave, I lose TRIM support after I install it.
I have 3 SSD's installed, and after the last update no amount of "sudo trimforce enable" in Terminal would stick.
After resetting the PRAM (3 chimes) I was able to get TRIM back.
Today there's another update, and I'm not looking forward to the same dance.
I have a legacy installation of Windows 10, but I'm wondering about my boot rom?

Other than that my Mac Pro works flawlessly.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have a very strange recurring issue with my Mac Pro.
Every time Apple issues a new security update, or update of any kind for Mojave, I lose TRIM support after I install it.
I have 3 SSD's installed, and after the last update no amount of "sudo trimforce enable" in Terminal would stick.
After resetting the PRAM (3 chimes) I was able to get TRIM back.
Today there's another update, and I'm not looking forward to the same dance.
I have a legacy installation of Windows 10, but I'm wondering about my boot rom?

Other than that my Mac Pro works flawlessly.
This "bug" never happen on my cMP. Anyway, if you don't mine to install OpenCore, you can keep TRIM enabled by using OpenCore. Even you never run the trimforce command, TRIM can still be enabled.

Reactions: howiest

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
After the most recent Mojave update, Google Drive File Stream stopped working? Is there a way to fix it?

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
I have a MAJOR issue.

Today (yesterday was ok) my 5,1 won't launch any Apps. Nothing will launch except disk utility and system prefs.
I was on the 2nd last Public Beta for Mojave.

What I have tried:
Restarting in Safe Mode
Installing 10.14.6 (18g9028) 2021-003 Mojave
Removing all PCIE cards
PRAM
Removed power plug
uninstalled Evoluent Mouse utility
Unplugging all USB devices

Problem persists.

Problem not present on my High Sierra disk

Am I looking at a clean install of Mojave?

Is it safe to post crash reports here?

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
Restored from a Backup and updated to 10.14.6 (18g9028) 2021-003 Mojave.

Seems to be stable. Bizarre...

Last edited:

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I discovered the weirdest bug I ever encountered. Much like ridiculous, inept problems (which Apple engineers call "regressions") with such an old app as Finder in Catalina, this one partakes in the competition for the top Prize winner in the morons race. In Mojave, TextEdit (an app as old as Finder) chokes on every Rich Text file with the action of (a) duplicating (b) spellchecking and correcting. By "choking" I mean it hangs for a good 10 seconds before coming to senses. I'd expect such issues crop up in FCP, Logic or Indesign but not in a utility as light-weight as TextEdit, more so with rtf and rtfd files! Of course, since the OS is going to be dropped and doesn't receive bug fixes it will be left in its present state forever.
Terrible shame!

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I discovered the weirdest bug I ever encountered. Much like ridiculous, inept problems (which Apple engineers call "regressions") with such an old app as Finder in Catalina, this one partakes in the competition for the top Prize winner in the morons race. In Mojave, TextEdit (an app as old as Finder) chokes on every Rich Text file with the action of (a) duplicating (b) spellchecking and correcting. By "choking" I mean it hangs for a good 10 seconds before coming to senses. I'd expect such issues crop up in FCP, Logic or Indesign but not in such a light-weight piece of code as TextEdit, more so with rtf and rtfd files! Of course, since the OS is going to be dropped and doesn't receive bug fixes it will be left in its present state forever.
Terrible shame!
Must be something wrong on your system, I never had Textedit choke on me in any OS X/macOS version.

Try creating a temporary new User, then log into that user, still the same?

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
The problem narrowed down to a specific kind of text: the text causing headache is not generic rich text but HTML-formatted. I use an Automator service that extracts the text from a web page and has additional conversion options to produce an RTF(d) file. When I open these files TextEdit hangs when I'm doing the aforementioned actions.

Last edited:

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
In "Notes" select a group of notes you want to delete and hit the "Backspace" (or "Delete") key. Watch what happens.

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
I have a MAJOR issue.

Today (yesterday was ok) my 5,1 won't launch any Apps. Nothing will launch except disk utility and system prefs.
I was on the 2nd last Public Beta for Mojave.

What I have tried:
Restarting in Safe Mode
Installing 10.14.6 (18g9028) 2021-003 Mojave
Removing all PCIE cards
PRAM
Removed power plug
uninstalled Evoluent Mouse utility
Unplugging all USB devices

Problem persists.

Problem not present on my High Sierra disk

Am I looking at a clean install of Mojave?

Is it safe to post crash reports here?
This has just happens again. Only this time when I erase the corrupted dusk and restore from the backup it won't boot.

Can someone PLEASE help?

Thanks.

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
I have a major problem with my machine. It was all fine up until recently and I have no idea what caused it.

Basically no apps will launch in Mojave. I've done a clean install about 3 times. Works for a bit then all of a sudden when I start the machine back up it happens again.

I'm at my wits end with this.

It isn't my ROM cause I just re-flashed it to the 140 version @tsialex built me. Or it could be Black Magic Desktop Video v11.4 but that doesn't seem likely.

I've managed to upgrade Hi Sierra's apps so I can get going for today but any ideas would be most helpful as this is my work machine. Today I've missed most of today trying to get up and running.

Thanks

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Are you running it from the external drive? It you're then either the drive needs to be powered on, or in any other case it's failing. It has nothing to do with the system itself because you noted that all was fine and dandy. Have you checked the state of the disk with one of accepted diagnostic tools (such as DriveDx)?

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
Are you running it from the external drive? It you're then either the drive needs to be powered on, or in any other case it's failing. It has nothing to do with the system itself because you noted that all was fine and dandy. Have you checked the state of the disk with one of accepted diagnostic tools (such as DriveDx)?
No I'm not running 'it' (the OS) from and external drive.

Don't think it's the drive itself as I've a clone of if and another clean install of Mojave on another drive (m.2). All display the same issue once the issue arises.

It's like something is getting corrupted as the machine shuts down. During normal operation it's as smooth as silk.

I tried deleting 'Pro Tools' (that's my main app) preferences and it started ok for a little while.

So maybe the preferences are getting corrupt upon shutdown. But that's just an idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.