Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
VS Code seems to work, don't know about Sublime Text and/or GitHub Desktop.

Have you take a look at this thread: Monterey Working/Not Working

I've not seen that thread, thanks. (Skimmed through a similar one, with a lot less information, thinking that was it.)

But, if VS Code works, and the abomination that is MS Teams also works (according to that thread), then it should be a good chance that GitHub Desktop, which is also an electron app, should work.

:)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Monterey installed. Just did a quick upgrade, and all my apps and setting were intact.

Very briefly tested Sublime Text, VS Code and GitHub Desktop. All seem to work. :)

Tested Music, and a bug I've had for the last couple of versions in Big sur seems to be fixed (although I need to test it for a longer period before I'm totally convinced). Edit: Nah, was too optimistic. The bug is still there. :(

Safari looks nice, but is a bit buggy, with pages hanging on load. So far a quick restart (of Safari) has worked as a quickfix whenever a page stops loading, though, so not a big issue.

All in all macOS version 12 seems very nice. :)

Last edited:

jshul001

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
I haven't bothered looking into it but my M1 mini panics when sleeping, so when I wake it up from sleep it's actually restarted with the magic mouse and keyboard disconnected. It has happened twice already so for now I just keep the computer always on and let the display be turned off automatically after 10 minutes or so.
Yep. I actually just turning off my computer for now since I only use it like once a day. They need to fix this lol. Very annoying.

dumiku

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2017
Accra (Ghana)
Monterey installed. Just did a quick upgrade, and all my apps and setting were intact.

Very briefly tested Sublime Text, VS Code and GitHub Desktop. All seem to work. :)

Tested Music, and a bug I've had for the last couple of versions in Big sur seems to be fixed (although I need to test it for a longer period before I'm totally convinced). Edit: Nah, was too optimistic. The bug is still there. :(

Safari looks nice, but is a bit buggy, with pages hanging on load. So far a quick restart (of Safari) has worked as a quickfix whenever a page stops loading, though, so not a big issue.

All in all macOS version 12 seems very nice. :)

I wanted to do an upgrade but was afraid of major bug, so far so good on a separate partition,
Homebrew works so far, installing without issues.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I wanted to do an upgrade but was afraid of major bug, so far so good on a separate partition,
Homebrew works so far, installing without issues.
I did a update / upgrade of Homebrew yesterday, without any issues.

When doing the same today I get this warning:

~ % brew upgrade Warning: You are using macOS 12. We do not provide support for this pre-release version. You will encounter build failures with some formulae. Please create pull requests instead of asking for help on Homebrew's GitHub, Twitter or any other official channels. You are responsible for resolving any issues you experience while you are running this pre-release version.

And when trying to install a new formulae I got:

Error: Your Xcode does not support macOS 12. It is either outdated or was modified. Please update your Xcode or delete it if no updates are available.

So, I'm off to download the new Xcode beta, I guess... :)

Edit:

After installing Xcode-beta AND change Xcode preferences > Locations > Command Line Tools to using Xcode 13.0 (and not 12.5 which was default) it works as expected. :)

Last edited:

dumiku

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2017
Accra (Ghana)
I did a update / upgrade of Homebrew yesterday, without any issues.

When doing the same today I get this warning:

~ % brew upgrade Warning: You are using macOS 12. We do not provide support for this pre-release version. You will encounter build failures with some formulae. Please create pull requests instead of asking for help on Homebrew's GitHub, Twitter or any other official channels. You are responsible for resolving any issues you experience while you are running this pre-release version.

And when trying to install a new formulae I got:

Error: Your Xcode does not support macOS 12. It is either outdated or was modified. Please update your Xcode or delete it if no updates are available.

So, I'm off to download the new Xcode beta, I guess... :)

Edit:

After installing Xcode-beta AND change Xcode preferences > Locations > Command Line Tools to using Xcode 13.0 (and not 12.5 which was default) it works as expected. :)

I also get this warning and it can be ignore I think.

Unless you also need Xcode, you will be good to go by just installing the Command Line Tools only either from the developer page or Terminal.

I successfully setup a Laravel web dev environment, working fine, now I'm just waiting for 2 more beta before I fully migrate, because I had a few random kernel panic & I am using an unsupported Mac.

dburkhanaev

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2018
Safari really does need an option to return the dedicated address/search bar. And customize toolbar should let you at least get back the button to invoke the share sheet with a touch. Is the (…) submenus in the search/address bar smaller than the other subcontextual menus in Safari? When I invoke the menu the list of options aren’t shrunken looking in a way that looks buggy, per se. But compared to any other drop down menu it’s certainly not as easy to read and seems to be fairly easy to dismiss by accident.

I was expecting to be more excited about the Safari update given the amount of time I’m using it, but I honestly don’t like it much.

dburkhanaev

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2018
I’m having an annoying bug with notification badges on messages. I don’t see that it has been mentioned as a known issue. It’s been a bug for me in WatchOS for some time, but in Monterey messages now have badge notifications for messages that have been checked. They were synchronous in Big Sur, but it seems to lag in Monterey.

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
HomePods are my issue right now, but not sure if macOS 12 or HomePod 15 beta is the cause. Currently the using a HomePod as the speaker for a Mac, if you use it from the menu bar (which is still airPlay 1) when watching anything through the browser, the audio/video is on a 10 second out of sync.
Also if you connect with AirPlay 2 using TV or Music app. It plays 5 seconds and stops.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Something that I’ve never had an issue before: Usually I receive iMessage notifications on the device I’m actively using otherwise it defaults to my Apple Watch. For some odd reason my iMac is waking up and delivering me the initial notifications. Screen is black, backlight wakes up and I get the message notification in the corner.

I was wondering why I was missing messages and this seems to be the reason why. I’m more sure if this is a setting I can turn off or something.

dumiku

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2017
Accra (Ghana)
MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

I am here to report that for 14 hours I have found DP1 to be frigging amazing. Far and away the most seamless OS upgrade I have ever performed, beta or not. I had exactly ONE app that flat out refused to run, and all it did was crash gently into a crash report window. Another app needed to install a System Extension that required me to restart into Boot Options and reduce my Security Policy before I could get them approved for loading. And then it worked fine. EVERYHING else has worked great. Not one hiccup.

I haven't had enough time to really explore all over the place, but one thing that I was eager to check into was the new built-in 2-factor authentication feature, and I can report that it works flawlessly. I was using OTP Auth before, and thought that was an excellent Mac/iOS/iCloud combo solution, but now I don't even have to go and GET codes to enter, it all happens automagically. It's fantastic!

• 1Blocker 3.16.1 (works flawlessly)
  • AdGuard 2.5.3.955 release (works flawlessly)
  • Airflow 3.3.1 (works flawlessly)
  • Audiobook Builder 2.1.2 (works flawlessly)
  • Carbon Copy Cloner 6.0.1 (gives message about unsupported operating systems, then allows you to continue anyway, and seems to work fine. I wouldn't necessarily use it for a restore, but definitely to do a backup)
  • Cisdem PDFMaster 4.0.0 (crashes on launch)
  • CleanMyMac X 4.8.4 (works flawlessly)
  • DAEMON Tools 8.2 (requires System Extensions and rebooting twice to get up and running, then works flawlessly)
  • Deliveries 9.1.2 (works flawlessly)
  • Downie 4.2.6 (works flawlessly)
  • Droplr 5.9.5 (works flawlessly)
  • ExpressVPN 10.3.0 (works flawlessly, but after connection, got a message that it conflicted with iCloud+ Protected Browsing)
  • FE File Explorer Pro 3.0.4 (works flawlessly)
  • ff·Works 2.3.2 (works flawlessly)
  • Filmage Screen 1.3.1 (works flawlessly)
  • Fission 2.7.0 (message about unsupported operating systems, allows you to proceed anyway, seems to work fine)
  • Friendly Streaming 5.9.7 (works flawlessly)
  • Google Chrome 91.0.4472.77 (works flawlessly)
  • HandBrake 1.3.3 (works flawlessly)
  • IINA 1.1.2 (works flawlessly)
  • iMazing 2.13.8 (works flawlessly)
  • KeyboardCleanTool 3 (works flawlessly)
  • Linguist 2.4 (works flawlessly)
  • Facebook Messenger 97.11.116 (ONLY item to indicate needing Rosetta to continue, works flawlessly)
  • Meta 2.0.5 (works flawlessly)
  • OTP Auth 2.17.4 (works flawlessly)
  • Pacifist 3.6.2 (works flawlessly)
  • Permute 3.6.4 (works flawlessly)
  • Plex 1.31.1 (works flawlessly)
  • PlistEdit Pro 1.9.2 (works flawlessly)
  • Radio Silence 3.1 (works flawlessly)
  • Remote Desktop 3.9.4 (works flawlessly)
  • Signal 5.4.0-beta.4 (works flawlessly)
  • Skype 8.72 (works flawlessly)
  • Spotify 1.1.60.668.gff09d345 (works flawlessly)
  • Tampermonkey 4.11.6117 (works flawlessly)
  • The Unarchiver 4.3.0 (works flawlessly)
  • Transmission 3.00 Nightly (works flawlessly)
  • WhatsApp 2.2119.6 (works flawlessly)
  • Yate 6.5 (works flawlessly)
  • zoom.us 5.6.6 (works flawlessly)

An intermittent but very annoying problem where nearly all my "messaging" apps (Messages, Signal, Facebook Messenger, etc.) would stop playing notification sounds has gone away. They seem totally consistent in always playing them now.

SMB network connections seem more reliable.

Podcasts app continues to occasionally not remember my specified window placement and size.

Everything else has been seamless so far - KNOCK ON WOOD.

I'm NOT a developer, but the way I see it, with Catalina they introduced the split system and data volumes with "firmlinks" to make it appear as one unified file system, and System Integrity Protection (SIP). Lots of stuff was badly broken right from the start. Big Sur introduced the cryptographically Signed System Volume (SSV) and totally eliminated kernel extensions in favor of system extensions, while also making it much harder to install and authorize and load them, so many other things badly broke. Introducing the M1 architecture brought changes to all things related to the Restore/Install/Security boot-up modes, and the way of making external drives bootable. With Monterey, it does not SEEM to have nearly as many fundamental architecture changes that appear to be breaking apps. In the past, I would DEFINITELY already have had an app freeze or crash or a kernel panic by now. This time: nothing - flawless!

-Pete

The working apps should be added here, if you can edit the wiki macOS Monterey Working/Not Working.

dumiku

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2017
Accra (Ghana)
It seems like there not many bugs in this beta, the thread didn't spiked yet?

This is probably related to the fact that my Mac is unsupported but, I can seem to download apps from the App Store,
from the App Store I can start the download but there is no progress been there for days now.

I sometime experienced random kernel panic and finder seems slow.

MattC101

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2021
My cursor is delayed. im using 2019 Mbp 13' 4 thunderbolt port :( shortcuts and airplay to mac are working fine. I am still testing new features. The delay is pretty annoying though.

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
Generally ok, but I am sometimes seeing Safari hang on page load - sometimes for a number of minutes, sometimes indefinately. Also a few apps have a tendency to go into spinning beachball mode including todoist, whatsapp. Others seem to work perfectly - iterm, slack, onenote, spotify etc. The other noticeable feature is a lack of clock/tray, so icons for wifi etc also missing.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Anyone else seeing very high CPU usage from the suggestd daemon? It’s pegged at 100% CPU…

Edit: Resolved it by turning off iCloud and turning it back on again.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwhinnen

z1r0_

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
I often use Facetime on macOS to make phonecalls through the iPhone (some pandemic made me have pretty good audio-setup, so it's more comfy then using the iphone itself). Today I noticed that they droped the search input in the facetime app on monterey. Previously it was possible to search for contacts or enter any number you want to call in it.
However I noticed (dunno if it was the same on big sur already) that you can just type a number in any input field and dial it from right-click context menu. So no biggy but still missing it somehow.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I often use Facetime on macOS to make phonecalls through the iPhone (some pandemic made me have pretty good audio-setup, so it's more comfy then using the iphone itself). Today I noticed that they droped the search input in the facetime app on monterey. Previously it was possible to search for contacts or enter any number you want to call in it.
However I noticed (dunno if it was the same on big sur already) that you can just type a number in any input field and dial it from right-click context menu. So no biggy but still missing it somehow.
It’s still there - Click the green “New FaceTime” button and you can enter the phone number that way.

Reactions: Mishkale

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Tiny: Hotkey/shortcut for Show Notification Center doesn't work for me on my M1 MBA. Tried changing the button, still no luck. Working for anyone else?

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
I've seen folks say that NordVPN IKE can work, but I can't get any server to connect on my M1 MBA. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.