Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
I ran through all the apps that I have installed on my 2015 rMBP 13", and did as much quick testing as I could to compile a list of fairly common third party apps that do/don't work in macOS Sierra. Feel free to add to this list as you see fit and I'll try to keep it up to date.

For the purposes of this test, I did not check built in/Apple made apps (with the exception of Final Cut) since that will largely be discussed in the bugs thread. Although I was unable to load any content in Time Machine (even from backups made since the update) which was frustrating. But that's another thread. Anyway, on to the list.

Apps that work in Sierra:

1Password 6
Adapter
Airmail 3
Alfred 3
Amphetamine
BetterTouchTool
Blackmagic Disk Speed Test
coconutBattery
Disk Inventory X
Dropbox
Duet (with iOS 10, although a bit choppy)
Evernote
Final Cut Pro X (launches but have not used)
Firefox
Flux
Handbrake (launches but have not used)
Itsycal
Kodi
Magnet
Malwarebytes
Microsoft Office 2016
OpenEmu (tried several emulators)
Plex
PopClip
Scrivener
ScummVM
Shazam
Simple Comic (will not install latest update but reads CBR files okay)
Spotify (although slow to launch and ever the memory hog)
Steam
StuffIt Expander
The Unarchiver
Tweetbot
uTorrent (can crash in certain circumstances)
VLC

Apps that do not work in Sierra:

Bartender 2 (crashes at launch)
CleanMyMac 3 (crashes at launch)
EtreCheck (crashes during scan)
Final Draft 9 (crashes at launch)
Fluid (any apps made with Fluid crash on startup)
Maintenance (crashes at launch)
Onyx (crashes at launch)
Ulysses (crashes at launch)

All in all, this is a pretty stable first release with most of the apps I use commonly working without issue. Hope this list helps those that are debating updating their main machine against all recommendations like I have.

Not sure if anyone uses it, but Sophos Home is compatible.

Szoker

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2016
Poland
Anyone tested apps like
Virtual DJ,
Serato,
Traktor?
Specialy first of my list

p.s. sorry for my english - a hate translators, so... ;)

Porsupah

macrumors regular
Re: turning off "accelerated graphics" in a VMware Fusion 8.1.1 VM to avoid the "internal error" issue - the trouble, in my case, is I usually keep my VMs suspended between sessions, and you can only toggle that option once you've resumed and shut down the VM. Is there any way out of this Catch 22?

smarteus

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2016
in the first post it says that WhatsApp is incompatible:
WhatsApp Desktop (always recommends moving to Application folder when it is already there, and will lose login

Has anyone tried latest betaversion of the WhatsApp desktop app? same issue?
Version 0.2.1061 (0.2.1061)

hugocésar

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2016
If anyone else uses Ulysses then you should send an email to the developers. They sent me a beta download that works perfectly fine.

orhon

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2016
in the first post it says that WhatsApp is incompatible:
WhatsApp Desktop (always recommends moving to Application folder when it is already there, and will lose login

Has anyone tried latest betaversion of the WhatsApp desktop app? same issue?
Version 0.2.1061 (0.2.1061)

Hello,
WhatsApp works fine with the PB after OS restarts too. I couldn't find the version though, I am using the one downloaded from the official WhatsApp page.

innrwrld

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2016
Anyone able to solve the Pulse Secure conundrum as of yet? I remember last year there were issues with the services not able to properly resolve two certificates & manually installing those into Keychain Access solved that mystery. So far no luck with Pulse Secure 5.2.1 (227) as the issues with failed backend services look to be similar to those from last year.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
Anyone able to solve the Pulse Secure conundrum as of yet? I remember last year there were issues with the services not able to properly resolve two certificates & manually installing those into Keychain Access solved that mystery. So far no luck with Pulse Secure 5.2.1 (227) as the issues with failed backend services look to be similar to those from last year.

I've had the same issue with Pulse Secure 5.2.1. not found a resolution, guess we have to wait till they release an update.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Been using the PB for a day now, and so far all my applications work - Except:

Logitech Control V3.93 Doesn't recognize my Logitech Performance MX Mouse (Logitech Unifying Software V1.2.315 works). What this means is that my Logitech Mouse is Recognized, but just the left and right buttons work along with the scroll wheel. None of the other buttons can be programmed Because Unifying Software does not recognize the mouse.

Also some the the Preference Panes don't open they display:

"Could not load Network preference pane."

And others won't open sometimes, but will open later - without a restart.

Lou

innrwrld

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2016
I've had the same issue with Pulse Secure 5.2.1. not found a resolution, guess we have to wait till they release an update.

Thanks for validating. I managed to get a hold of v 5.2.3 (537) & it as well still has the same issue. Given it's release was late May I can see why, so as you mention, we'll need to just await an update from the Pulse Secure folks.

An_Excelent_Username

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
Behind a keyboard
Been using the PB for a day now, and so far all my applications work - Except:

Logitech Control V3.93 Doesn't recognize my Logitech Performance MX Mouse (Logitech Unifying Software V1.2.315 works). What this means is that my Logitech Mouse is Recognized, but just the left and right buttons work along with the scroll wheel. None of the other buttons can be programmed Because Unifying Software does not recognize the mouse.

Also some the the Preference Panes don't open they display:

"Could not load Network preference pane."

And others won't open sometimes, but will open later - without a restart.

Lou

I've seen the same with a Logitech M705 mouse. I'm just hoping they'll roll out an update soon and solve it. I can live with out some of the buttons for a while.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
And another Problem:

Acrobat Pro 11.0.16 - Will not Print. I can still create and alter documents, but they will not print from the application. The fix is to print from Acrobat Reader DC.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
AUTOCAD for Mac seems to be fine, but I did have a spinning beach ball when attempting to save once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.