Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You can’t Mark a single thread ‘Read’ as previously noted. You only have the option of marking the _entire_ forum ‘read’. Kinda annoying when you want to mark a single thread in a specific forum read versus all the threads. Not sure why that was removed.
It was an add on or customized feature a few years ago when we updated to the previous version, meaning it's not a default option.

Hopefully, @arn can put it back because I, too, liked and used that individual marking a single thread as read often.

Reactions: 44267547

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can’t Mark a single thread ‘Read’ as previously noted. You only have the option of marking the _entire_ forum ‘read’. Kinda annoying when you want to mark a single thread in a specific forum read versus all the threads. Not sure why that was removed.
Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 8.00.42 AM.png

From the watched thread view I see this Mark Read option to the right. Is that not what you are after.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
From the watched thread view I see this Mark Read option to the right. Is that not what you are after.
It's also available on the forum index pages. But I don't see a way to do it once you're already in a thread.

Reactions: Ralfi

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It's also available on the forum index pages. But I don't see a way to do it once you're already in a thread.
It seems to mark the thread as read when you enter it, so I don't see why one would even need the option to mark read from within the thread (unless I am misunderstanding the request).

Reactions: willmtaylor

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
That works, but they really should add some distinction between the Forum name and the option to mark read. Different font/colour/size - something.

Yes, it's on the list to tweak.

It seems to mark the thread as read when you enter it, so I don't see why one would even need the option to mark read from within the thread (unless I am misunderstanding the request).

Only if you enter on the last page of posts. If you enter on another page, it leaves the thread as unread.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Hi,

That took a lot longer than expected. We ran into some issues... which happens. But we're finally back up and running. There are still a lot of little issues that we're still dealing with. Please let me know if there's anything bad.

A few obvious things:

- No Spy
- Ignore Forums is coming back
- Wiki should work
- Dark mode should auto detect
- Emoji support ?
- More embed support, such as tweets:

I'm sure there's more, but still putting out fires...

arn
Appreciate the community the MR family continues to help nourish.

Looks like the wrong link is tied to the MR logo that sits atop all pages. When clicked (or touched in iOS), it does not take me to the MR home page but to the Forums home page. FYI.

Cheers!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am on macOS Safari and see it. Just checked on my iPhone and it is not shown there.

Ahh, that’s why. But anyways, what it is used to be like, was you can mark each thread individually ‘read’ when you’re in a specific forum, that way you don’t have to parse through all these threads that you may have already visited, so hopefully that can be restored. It basically removes the ‘bold font’ from a thread that I already visited or don’t have any interest in.

Reactions: Weaselboy

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I am on macOS Safari and see it. Just checked on my iPhone and it is not shown there.
On my Pixel with Firefox, if I go into landscape mode, I will see the 'mark as read' IF the forum name beside it is short enough. For example, though, if it's S&FF it will not show because the title is too long.

I guess it's one of those mobile fluid things that hide elements that just won't fit on the screen.

Reactions: Weaselboy

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Can we look at how unread threads are identified on the forum list? For me at least, the bolded font for new (unread) threads/posts is not significantly different from the standard weight font - making the ability to quickly identify new threads/posts more difficult... perhaps a different color or a font which has more distinct difference between bold and non bold weights. Or maybe new posts could be BOLD ITALIC?

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Can we look at how unread threads are identified on the forum list? For me at least, the bolded font for new (unread) threads/posts is not significantly different from the standard weight font - making the ability to quickly identify new threads/posts more difficult... perhaps a different color or a font which has more distinct difference between bold and non bold weights. Or maybe new posts could be BOLD ITALIC?
I agree and was going to post a similar request.

The unread threads need to be better distinguished from the read threads somehow.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
The forums seem more responsive and I like most changes I've seen so far.

I'm not a fan of having negative 'reactions', I hope they don't become a problem, although 'sad' and 'angry' are at least a little more specific than just 'dislike' I guess, which I think always sounded more passive-aggressive somehow... :)

Big thanks to all MR staff/mods for all the work you do on this great site though.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It looks like ignoring forums is only sort of working. I have 3 set to ignore, but I still see "Community Discussion" posts in the list of new posts even though it's one of the ignored forums. The other 2 seem to be successfully ignored. Is this a bug or a feature?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It looks like ignoring forums is only sort of working. I have 3 set to ignore, but I still see "Community Discussion" posts in the list of new posts even though it's one of the ignored forums. The other 2 seem to be successfully ignored. Is this a bug or a feature?
I saw @arn mention in a thread he is aware of this bug.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Please move that "REPORT" button. It's very irritating where it is. Just change it to a warning triangle or something and stick it after "REPLY". Or, better, as just a "!" icon or something top right next to the "bookmark" one.

I agree. Also there's no risk at false, accidental reports because it asks for a reason and a confirmation button.
I see the Edit button is also at the left. Maybe putting all the buttons to the right makes it look a but clunky. Dunno.

Actually, personally, I like where the report button currently is - as it is easy to see and its is obvious.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wiki posts are not working!

Working again now!

arn
[automerge]1568914222[/automerge]
It seems I have to hi light any text to be able to read it. Any fix for this yet? Thanks. In Light mode the text is barely visible. View attachment 859922

View attachment 859919 View attachment 859920

What browser is this? Can you email me details? arn@normalkid.com

To all the MacRumors team, thank you very much. Especially to those who made this change happen. I thanked Arn for creating MacRumors years ago, and now I wanted to thank to all the people involved who made this possible.

I spend more time that I ideally should on this place, even being a non-english speaker, and when I first signed up on the site, back in 2012 (damn, that's long), I barely felt comfortable typing in English. My ability speaking in English wasn't enough, and I only posted 4 or 5 times during the first years being here.

But thanks to you, to Reddit, to my passion for tech and reading MacRumors and other tech sites daily, helped me to feel comfortable enough writing in English. And the Mac auto-correct helps a lot (lol). And I started writing more and more and becoming a fellow peer on the site, especially on the forum. Being able to have my own avatar being below the 500 messages helped to be more involved on the community as well.

This is just a short thank-you message, and if I find something I don't like, I will report it... here? If there's a site feedback thread just let me know.

Post feedback here or make a new site feedback thread

Reactions: Populus and i505

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Actually, personally, I like where the report button currently is - as it is easy to see and its is obvious.

Personally, I would prefer the report/like/quote/reply buttons to be simple icons – but that is just me. My, uh, Preference. It would be awesome if the poster themself could select the appearance of the posts (similar to the way sigs can be hidden).

in fact, the quote function is nearly identical to the reply function, just one extra click or two. It is a step shy of redundant. There should be an elegant way to combine the two.

Reactions: adrianlondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.