Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Simply scroll down to quick switch to dark mode, set your prefered settings in profile settings after siging in or let it autodetect whatever settings you have in your system.

That you for your reply, but I'm still pretty lost.

Where - may I ask - is "quick switch"?

I assume that "profile settings" are not "preferences"?

To be perfectly honest, I am completely lost, but - well, de rien - I can live without dark mode. Anyway, thank you.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Where - may I ask - is "quick switch"?
Scroll to the very bottom of the page, all the way to the bottom. On the right-hand side are two buttons. One of them is the language/region button for that and 12/24 clock. The button to the left of that one is the style chooser. It may say something on it signifying which style is currently set. Click/tap that button to make a selection, such as a dark mode for changing the theme of the entire site to darker colors making it easier on the eyes when reading in low-light conditions.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Scroll to the very bottom of the page, all the way to the bottom. On the right-hand side are two buttons. One of them is the language/region button for that and 12/24 clock. The button to the left of that one is the style chooser. It may say something on it signifying which style is currently set. Click/tap that button to make a selection, such as a dark mode for changing the theme of the entire site to darker colors making it easier on the eyes when reading in low-light conditions.

Bravo, and thank you so very much.

Much appreciated.

Very clear instructions, and easily followed.

I shall experiment this evening having successfully switched to Dark Mode - for all of ten seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
It seems I have to hi light any text to be able to read it. Any fix for this yet? Thanks. In Light mode the text is barely visible. Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 4.48.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 4.42.03 AM.jpeg Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 4.42.21 AM.jpeg

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Dark mode looks great and is detected when enabled OS-wide! Will dark mode become part of the Front Page too?

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
To all the MacRumors team, thank you very much. Especially to those who made this change happen. I thanked Arn for creating MacRumors years ago, and now I wanted to thank to all the people involved who made this possible.

I spend more time that I ideally should on this place, even being a non-english speaker, and when I first signed up on the site, back in 2012 (damn, that's long), I barely felt comfortable typing in English. My ability speaking in English wasn't enough, and I only posted 4 or 5 times during the first years being here.

But thanks to you, to Reddit, to my passion for tech and reading MacRumors and other tech sites daily, helped me to feel comfortable enough writing in English. And the Mac auto-correct helps a lot (lol). And I started writing more and more and becoming a fellow peer on the site, especially on the forum. Being able to have my own avatar being below the 500 messages helped me to be more involved on the community as well.

This is just a short thank-you message, and if I find something I don't like, I will report it... here? If there's a site feedback thread just let me know.

I see the reactions are now FaceBook style. Nice touch. And now emoji are a thing. I wonder if there's a shortcut in macOS to show the emoji list. I'll grab them from the Smilies button: ???

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Search, which is essential, is hosed. So essentially it's presently just a nice chat room. A place for enthusiasts come and be themselves.

Last edited:

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Please move that "REPORT" button. It's very irritating where it is. Just change it to a warning triangle or something and stick it after "REPLY". Or, better, as just a "!" icon or something top right next to the "bookmark" one.

Last edited:
Reactions: arn and Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
On a Mac you can use the keyboard shortcut cmmd-control-spacebar and it will bring up the emoji keyboard. ?

Oh yeah! I KNEW there had to be something like that on macOS, given the big emphasis Apple make on Emojis xD
[automerge]1568897900[/automerge]
Please move that "REPORT" button. It's very irritating where it is. Just change it to a warning triangle or something and stick it after "REPLY".
I agree. Also there's no risk at false, accidental reports because it asks for a reason and a confirmation button.
I see the Edit button is also at the left. Maybe putting all the buttons to the right makes it look a but clunky. Dunno.

By the way, here it comes what I think is a bug: When somebody reacts to my message, the bell don't show a red dot with a 1. However when you unfold the notification pane, it appears right there, the notification.

This doesn't happen with other notifications. But I'm not sure.

EDIT: now it works. Apparently.
Just keep an eye into the notifications red dot behaviour.

Reactions: mollyc

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I very much like this new update. I am a bit wary of the new choices for the Facebook-style like buttons however, that could provoke conflict. Something to be aware of. Haven't tried dark mode yet.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
So far I'm liking the new look and I'm still exploring features. ?

One comment on something that needs addressing is the scroll up and down arrows that appear in the bottom right when scrolling through the thread. When you click on the down arrow it takes you to the bottom of the footer (which is huge). You might want to adjust the behaviour of that button to go to the bottom of the page but stop just before the footer class.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Looks like you can

You can’t Mark a single thread ‘Read’ as previously noted. You only have the option of marking the _entire_ forum ‘read’. Kinda annoying when you want to mark a single thread in a specific forum read versus all the threads. Not sure why that was removed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.