Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Personally, I would prefer the report/like/quote/reply buttons to be simple icons – but that is just me. My, uh, Preference. It would be awesome if the poster themself could select the appearance of the posts (similar to the way sigs can be hidden).

in fact, the quote function is nearly identical to the reply function, just one extra click or two. It is a step shy of redundant. There should be an elegant way to combine the two.

I like this idea. The quote is for multi quote, which is useful at times. But I wonder how often it's used.

arn

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Personally, I would prefer the report/like/quote/reply buttons to be simple icons – but that is just me. My, uh, Preference. It would be awesome if the poster themself could select the appearance of the posts (similar to the way sigs can be hidden).

in fact, the quote function is nearly identical to the reply function, just one extra click or two. It is a step shy of redundant. There should be an elegant way to combine the two.
Quote is more for multi-quote, while reply is just specifically for that single post.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Quote is more for multi-quote, while reply is just specifically for that single post.

I am aware of the difference. But, if you hit the quote button, scroll to the bottom and hit insert quoted posts and it only finds one, it should just insert that one automatically and drop you into the box. It would be one extra click, but it would be elegant and would declutter the post view by one button.

I just noticed that the reply box still has some quirky behavior related to auto-correct (iPad/iCab): I just had an autocorrect cause the replacement to become a blank space. This is in the wysiwyg mode (in the past, the manual mode has done some weird things) and seems to happen on the first replacement only.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I like this idea. The quote is for multi quote, which is useful at times. But I wonder how often it's used.

arn

I use multi-quote now and then, most often as a simple way to generate nested quotes for clarity, but sometimes to reply to several people. The best way might be to hit the quote/reply button and it offers you a pop-up that takes you to the reply box with the quoted post inserted in it, or you could continue to scroll on to collect more quotes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Well, we all differ, but I personally prefer words to icons - I'm verbal rather than visual (and I have poor enough eyesight and have often misunderstood the meaning of icons and emoticons). That way, the function of this button is clearly understood.
[automerge]1568917577[/automerge]

arn

Well, I use it a bit, and must say that I find it useful when one combines several posts - sometimes from different people, sometimes, different section of the one post - in one post/reply.

It allows several posts to be dealt with by way of reply in one post, rather than posting separately each time - thus, making several posts - when responding to several different people who have posted.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Well, we all differ, but I personally prefer words to icons - I'm verbal rather than visual (and I have poor enough eyesight and have often misunderstood the meaning of icons and emoticons). That way, the function of this button is clearly understood.

I think we're going to make it icons on mobile and words on wider views. I believe that's how it was before.

arn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think we're going to make it icons on mobile and words on wider views. I believe that's how it was before.

arn

That makes a lot of sense.

Still getting used to the way the update work, but lovely job, and very well done.

Is the font used the same as before, because it looks clearer, and more legible?

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
It may have been a rocky rollout, but thanks MR (arn) for the service you provide.
What an odd time to rollout an update to the forums, after the biggest Apple event of the year and right before people start getting their new iPhones when the forums are undoubtedly at a peak in activity. Wild choice.

Reactions: maverick28

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
What an odd time to rollout an update to the forums, after the biggest Apple event of the year and right before people start getting their new iPhones when the forums are undoubtedly at a peak in activity. Wild choice.
Ideally the forum upgrade would have happened a bit sooner, but as usual, things frequently take longer than you'd like. We really wanted to have dark mode ready for iOS 13 launch, and that required getting the forum upgrade done too, so we were definitely pushing to get it done by today.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Is the font used the same as before, because it looks clearer, and more legible?
Funny you should say that, as I just came in here to say that the font looks horrible. It's OK in this reply box, but it's all "jagged" in the posts themselves.

The font in the reply box:
Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 7.28.14 AM.png

And in posts:
Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 7.28.24 AM.png

I'm on Safari 12.1.2 with OS 10.13.6 and I'm not using a retina display.

Edit: It's fine on my Windows machine at work.

Edit 2: Updated my home machine to Safari 13. It didn't help.

Last edited:

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI

arn

unimaginativeunimaginativeI think the problem with just-icons is that they are all this muddy blue color (in light mode). And, quite frankly, following the general FB icons makes the scheme look rather unimaginative. I mean, stop not differentiating yourself. If you just used standard emoji ([Report ⚠][Edit ?] [✅ Like][⚔ Quote][? Reply]) might make using just icons a lot easier.

(Also, are you going to saddle iPads with mobile?)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Funny you should say that, as I just came in here to say that the font looks horrible. It's OK in this reply box, but it's all "jagged" in the posts themselves.

The font in the reply box:
View attachment 860154

And in posts:
View attachment 860155

I'm on Safari 12.1.2 with OS 10.13.6 and I'm not using a retina display.

While I love the study of (and use of) different fonts, I also suffer from poor enough eyesight.

The previous font was one that had I gotten used to, but never much liked from the perspectives of aesthetics or legibility; on account of my eyesight, I dislike (intensely) these 'narrow' fonts (Calibri is a particular offender) where vertical letters seem scrunched tightly together.

Personally, I far prefer fonts such as Garamond which are blessedly easy to read, extremely legible, and exquisitely elegant to boot. Actually, I was astounded to learn that the late Mr Jobs shared my reverence for Garamond, and used a modified version of that font when designing Apple's typeface.

Times New Roman is wonderfully elegant and proportional as well, as is Arno and one or two others.

With this newer font, my eyes find it easier to read and decipher, as, I suspect the letters are more generously spaced with a greater width than had been the case before.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Hi,

That took a lot longer than expected. We ran into some issues... which happens. But we're finally back up and running. There are still a lot of little issues that we're still dealing with. Please let me know if there's anything bad.

A few obvious things:

- No Spy
- Ignore Forums is coming back
- Wiki should work
- Dark mode should auto detect
- Emoji support ?
- More embed support, such as tweets:

I'm sure there's more, but still putting out fires...

arn

Alas, with grief, I have to say goodbye to using good old Safari 5.1.7 on your forum I was doing that just for the pleasure of browsing in Safari 5, using it here was fast, nice. With the recent upgrade, the majority of the UI elements got displaced, avatars transformed into ellipses, the pointer misses the focus being moved over certain elements that are links. I now write this in Firefox Legacy 67.0.4p1 for Lion, but this forum had been the last bastion for Safari 5 because it had a set of features other browsers lack. Really, I don't think a discussion board, which is just sum of rows and columns filled with text, should sport dashy looks. I see huge work done – social plugins embedded etc, but you had them in the previous version and I'm not sure everyone went crazy seeing Reddit, Pinterest (really? Do we need to connect MacRumours to Pinterest), even WhatsApp (why not Viber?).
As for Dark mode, I assume most of the people already have the extensions doing the job and use Dark Reader so no difference to me. Really, losing the ability to use Safari 5 I feel like losing a part of my world which sounds comically, I know that, but I didn't expect that. Since I'm a fan of Dashboard I even made a web-clip of one of threads to follow the page as it updates.
On top of that, my content is gone – everything: threads I participated in, likes, quotations, everything.
Are you sure you can't optimize for using in old browsers?

P.S. The dark theme is done really nice and well, very good choice of colour tones, I applaud.

My_profile.png
Web-clip.png
MRForums.png

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
color coding coming back
Looks like that's back now. Thought I would ask about the color of the forums based on whether or not they have new posts -- it used to be that if there were new posts the forum name would appear bolded, but right now it seems that there's no difference (there is some of that when it comes to subforms it seems, but not the forums themselves).

Reactions: Populus

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Looks like that's back now. Thought I would ask about the color of the forums based on whether or not they have new posts -- it used to be that if there were new posts the forum name would appear bolded, but right now it seems that there's no difference (there is some of that when it comes to subforms it seems, but not the forums themselves).

And to add on to that, would really like to see more visually cognizant notification that there are new threads. The BOLD font alone is not nearly enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.