Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Wait, the M2 Pro supports three external displays, but the M3 Pro only supports two? That’s quite a significant downgrade, and limits the usefulness of the next gen Mac mini for those of us with three monitors. Unless they offer a Mac mini with M3 Max, but then might as well get a Mac Studio…

Apple upselling at its worst.

Both support 3 displays, but if you are talking about a notebook, 1 display is supposed to be the built-in one. Duh.

Reactions: iStorm

michaelscarn

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
I'm an 8GB M1 MBA user, so don't take my outdated opinions too seriously ;) but this base MBP is a joke and serves only to artificially lower the starting price. If I was looking to upgrade, I'd need more enticement to justify the added weight. Oh, it has a built in HDMI port that I'll use twice a year? Whoopie.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Which ways exactly?

Watch the video. That guy highlights the downgrades pretty well and with hard, tangible proof from Apple's own website and published information.

Defenders will spin that none of that matters, that "99% won't be able to notice", etc. but they shouldn't have to defend. Progress should be FORWARD, not selectively backwards to harvest a few more bucks of margin.

Last edited:

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
Where I work, two external displays is common. Matter of fact, our entire call center team are using 3 external displays.

And who pays for the computer to drive those displays? I'd venture a guess it's not you, so why would you care how much Apple charges?

At the end of the day, 2+ external displays is an incredibly niche market, particularly for Apple. And nearly the entire niche is filled by a) businesses, who get a discount plus a tax write-off, b) tech nerds, who wouldn't be buying an entry-level machine anyway, and c) creative pros, same.

Reactions: Ankaa

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
Forgive my ignorance, but why does anyone need a separate monitor for a laptop? Isn’t the whole point of a laptop the ability to have everything you need in one portable machine?
Two modes:
at home open or clamshelled with the external monitors for desktop performance
-or-
on the road...with just the built in monitor or possibly sidecar an iPad

Reactions: canon-cinema-0r

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
What's the issue?

Need to drive 3 or 4 external 6K displays? --> Choose the M3 Max option and pay more money.

Need to drive 2 external 6K displays? --> Choose the M3 Pro option and pay less money than the M3 Max option.

Need to drive 1 or 0 external 6K displays? -->> Choose the M3 chip and save a lot of money.

With all the above whining, apparently everyone here needs to drive 3 or 4 external 6K displays. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Don't force people to pay a lot more money when they only need to drive 1 or 0 external 6K displays.

Thankfully, Apple provides options. Simply purchase what you need. Apparently choice is bad from reading the comments up above.
Need to drive 2 $100 1080p displays? Spend $400 extra on the M3 Pro. Makes perfect sense.

Doesn't just apply to 6k displays. This was something the old low-end Intel 13" MBPs from 2016 could do. It's not really a tall ask IMO.

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
Wait, the M2 Pro supports three external displays, but the M3 Pro only supports two? That’s quite a significant downgrade, and limits the usefulness of the next gen Mac mini for those of us with three monitors. Unless they offer a Mac mini with M3 Max, but then might as well get a Mac Studio…

Apple upselling at its worst.
I think you're (also) confusing Mac Mini external display support with Macbook Pro external display support. Macbook Pro with M2 Pro also only supports two external displays. It seems logical that when M3 Pro comes in the Mac Mini, it will support 3 displays just like M2 Pro.

Reactions: cheesygrin

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
My terrible Dell Latitude that I have from work can run two displays. And costs about £400. This is truly getting ridiculous. Oh, and thanks Tim for the 20% hike in my Apple One subscription.
So what you're saying is Apple should make a terrible £400 laptop that can run two displays and and have everyone be miserable. 😉

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Chuckeee

mhurron

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2018
That’s a bit harsh. But you do have a point. Most non-pro people don’t even use an external display. If you really need two displays, you most likely also benefit from the Pro or Max power. So it does make sense.
No they don't have a point. Not every 'pro' is rendering 3d graphics or whatever you think you need the Pro or Max for.

Documentation, coding, terminal(s), slack, mail, calendar, video conferencing, and god knows how many other web browser tabs. 3 screens with multiple spaces, and no need for any more power than the base processor. The vast majority of professional users are not doing anything compute intensive and get way more benefit out of screen real estate than from a faster processor. But we can't have them buying the least expensive machine can we, so Apple limits the ability.

The artificial limitations of external monitors is the biggest blotch on Apple's hardware lineup.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Strangely, the M3 MacBook Pro doesn’t support two external monitors. You have to get M3 Pro MacBook Pro. I guess Apple wants to be extra sure you’re a real “Pro” first.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Definitely Apple limiting capabilities.

And here I was hoping to get a M3 15" Air when they are eventually released as I was "sure" they would be supporting more than 1 external monitor.

Boooo Apple..

Apple has you covered. Simply choose the M3 Pro option if you need to drive two 6K displays.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I dont see the big deal. I’ve seen plenty of m1 and m2 pros drive multiple monitors - it wasn’t a such big deal then for the tradeoff (to have it built-in to the laptop) why is it such a big deal now?

If you want multiple displays just get an external display adapter (as mentioned in the article).

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Apple really doesn't really sell displays (i.e. plural), so what do you expect.

Its a glaring hole in their ecosystem.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Need to drive 2 $100 1080p displays? Spend $400 extra on the M3 Pro. Makes perfect sense.

Doesn't just apply to 6k displays. This was something the old low-end Intel 13" MBPs from 2016 could do. It's not really a tall ask IMO.

No worries, mate. Stick it to Apple and simply purchase a non-Apple laptop that meets your requirements. And find happiness.

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
Watch the video. That guy highlights the downgrades pretty well and with hard, tangible proof from Apple's own website and published information.

Defenders will spin that none of that matters, that "99% won't be able to notice", etc. but they shouldn't have to defend. Progress should be FORWARD, not selectively backwards to harvest a few more bucks of margin.
I principally disagree, although it does seem that specifically the M3Pro is less impressive than the other two. But, I will always argue that moving forward as a whole can totally be done by taking one step back in certain areas. Apple does this all the time. Having mantras that every individual component must be a step-up from before is not how you deliver the best, most coherent overall product.

But, this is on a principal level. I repeat, I do agree that M3Pro is less impressive. I reserve judgement on whether it is actually a step back though, until we get actual reviews and benchmarks.

This being said, the video does highlight several areas where there are improvements that Apple didn't mention, it's not all bad, and saying M3 is a downgrade is pushing it.

Also, I believe Apple has been pushing hard to avoid raising the price, given the increases in materials, shipping etc that the world has seen. The "shell" of a Mac is likely a lot more expensive compared to the internals, compared to most competitors, for instance in the amount of aluminum used. So Apple will have been hit pretty hard on materials cost. I'm not following prices for the competitors, so I have no clue whether Lenovo prices are up or down, this is just based on my experience in my own line of work.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Forgive my ignorance, but why does anyone need a separate monitor for a laptop? Isn’t the whole point of a laptop the ability to have everything you need in one portable machine?
My work machine is a MBP that spends most of its time in clamshell docked to 1xUHD and 2xQHD displays at home, and occasionally, the once in a while I go in, 2xQHD displays in the office (in the office I usually leave it open and use the built in screen as my third display), but also is portable and I use it on the road and around the house away from my desk.

That’s why

Not to mention the ability to do presentations/etc by hooking up to TVs/projectors. Every conference room in every office my employer has has a pair of 4K TVs to plug into for ex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.