Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
I was really thinking to get one. But now with this COVID-19 I'll postpone any kind of bigger expenses.

It's not just COVID, but if you can wait for a few months, it's better to wait. Ryzen 4000 series is looking great so far. 15W (locked!) beats Intel U series at 25W. Their Hs chips look like something I would really love to have.

But since my main device is broken, I couldn't wait. It's a shame, because except for a small bump in GPU, I didn't get anything in performance. 9750H vs 8750H? Basically the same CPU.

I wanted to wait for Intel 10nm chips, or for AMD to focus on mobile market before upgrading.
But since I had to upgrade, I have to say, I'm really pleased with this laptop. It's looking and performing great so far.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
I'm not in a hurry so I can wait.
I'm also really interested in Ryzen 4000 but am not very optimistic related to this year.
It will be probably also economically devastating.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I recently upgraded my personal PC to a Ryzen 5 3600 and it's great. That's why I'll wait for more info on Ryzen 4000 mobile chips. If they release something that's on par with Intel mobile CPUs with better integrated graphics and lower power consumption, I'll be all in for it.
I don't understand why Apple ignored AMD CPUs until now, Especially on desktop they are a great alternative to the Intel platform.

And yes, Covid will slow things down quite a bit. But I honestly don't care, the world and we humans should focus on other things right now

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
I don't understand why Apple ignored AMD CPUs until now, Especially on desktop they are a great alternative to the Intel platform.

Their Mac Pro is a complete joke when compared with AMD chips. They should have used AMD, Mac Pro would be way more powerful and way cheaper. But then again, it's Apple.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Their Mac Pro is a complete joke when compared with AMD chips. They should have used AMD, Mac Pro would be way more powerful and way cheaper. But then again, it's Apple.
I’m not into these extreme machines, but isn’t the Threadripper in a league of its own? Wouldn’t even a comparable cheap high end Ryzen be the better option?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
I’m not into these extreme machines, but isn’t the Threadripper in a league of its own? Wouldn’t even a comparable cheap high end Ryzen be the better option?

AMD and their entire lineup are in the league of it's own at the moment. I mean, even ryzen chips, not just threadripper.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
I don't know, but I can't go back to low res screens for work anymore. Especially the big ones on my desk. I don't have the best eyes anymore and I don't see a difference between my Xr and the 11 Pro of my wife wearing my glasses (shortsighted), but on a bigger screen? It's night and day.

I know it's not supposed to work, but it does ?

It's 19.10 and just works, after I disabled the Pop HDPI service. I also activated fractional scaling. There are glitches after standby and as I said it does not remember the settings after a cold boot, but otherwise it works just fine. I don't complain.

View attachment 899529
View attachment 899531
Fraction scaling is an experimental feature that effect's performance of the OS

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
How's the performance hit?
I never used it with a low res screen, so I don't know. I don't feel any slowdowns or anything, but it's also a 6 core CPU with a dedicated GPU and 32GB of RAM + SSD.

MacOS performs much worse when scaling the ui imo. On a MacBook Pro that is, so it's not really comparable to a desktop with a capable cooling solution...

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
MacOS performs much worse when scaling the ui imo.

On this one I would disagree completely. Only OS that does scaling perfectly is the MacOS. Windows and Linux aren't even in the same ballpark.

With all that said, I'm sticking with Linux. Scaling alone isn't worth it. But if I could have MacOS like scaling in Linux, I would choose it in a heartbeat.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
On this one I would disagree completely. Only OS that does scaling perfectly is the MacOS. Windows and Linux aren't even in the same ballpark.

With all that said, I'm sticking with Linux. Scaling alone isn't worth it. But if I could have MacOS like scaling in Linux, I would choose it in a heartbeat.
I didn't want to say that the scaling is bad, it's by far the best in the market. And it's not even close.
But using a scaled resolution has a huge performance impact on mobile macs, I don't have that in Windows and don't really feel it in Linux.
The moment I connect my 4K monitor to my MBP it gets hot, fans are running and the UI can be sluggish.

But as I said, I didn't use a Linux Laptop yet, so it's probably unfair to compare a thin and light laptop with a desktop.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016

Scaling in Windows Is better than Linux.

We need Ubuntu 20 asap

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
These and other planned changes in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS at-a-glance:

GNOME 3.36, including new lock-screen
Linux Kernel 5.4
Improved ZFS install support
New wallpaper
Smaller .iso image
Lightning extension added to Thunderbird
Multi-monitor support in GDM
Gaming-related improvements
Better GNOME Shell performance

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
I didn't want to say that the scaling is bad, it's by far the best in the market. And it's not even close.
But using a scaled resolution has a huge performance impact on mobile macs, I don't have that in Windows and don't really feel it in Linux.
The moment I connect my 4K monitor to my MBP it gets hot, fans are running and the UI can be sluggish.

But as I said, I didn't use a Linux Laptop yet, so it's probably unfair to compare a thin and light laptop with a desktop.

Any laptop will struggle with 4k. But windows for example is really laggy in 4k. Just pressing winkey+tab will show that. In my own experience, Linux is way better in performance then windows. At least in handling basic tasks like UI.

Scaling in Windows Is better than Linux.

I agree. But on the other hand, windows is laggy when scaling 4k, while Linux isn't.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Any laptop will struggle with 4k. But windows for example is really laggy in 4k. Just pressing winkey+tab will show that. In my own experience, Linux is way better in performance then windows. At least in handling basic tasks like UI.

I agree. But on the other hand, windows is laggy when scaling 4k, while Linux isn't.
I never had any performance issues with Windows 10 since they fixed the scaling. Works great with my 4K monitor. Some applications have major issues though. MacOS did a much better job there

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
I never had any performance issues with Windows 10 since they fixed the scaling. Works great with my 4K monitor. Some applications have major issues though. MacOS did a much better job there

Are you using multi-monitor setup with different resolutions and scalling?
For example, even MS notifications have issues. Whenever I hook up my former X1E (4K) to a 2K monitor, my laptop is below monitor. I use my 2K as primary monitor. In that setup, I get notifications in bottom right corner, but I can't see like 80% of that notification.

And a lot of apps are simply blurry.

But with all of that, it's better then Linux. On linux I don't get those strange hiccups, but I can't adjust scaling per monitor. So it's either too large, or too small. I know there are tweaks I could do, and believe me, I did try everything under the sun. But those tweaks aren't a solution.

Only thing that helped is using FHD instead of 4K on laptop display. That's why Windows 10 has better scaling then any linux distro (imho of course).

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I use a 4K monitor and an older one in portrait with 1920x1200. The performance is fine, as I said.
I also have some problems with apps not rendering properly, scaling glitches between the two screens etc.

And just as you said, Linux is even worse.

There is no other OS that implemented scaling as good visually as MacOS. And I think an iMac does a much better job in driving high res screens than a MacBook.
Sadly I can't use a stationary machine, and my needs shifted quite a bit, so I'm looking for alternatives ;) Docker for example runs so much better in a Linux system, that alone is reason enough for me to switch.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Sadly I can't use a stationary machine, and my needs shifted quite a bit, so I'm looking for alternatives ;) Docker for example runs so much better in a Linux system, that alone is reason enough for me to switch.

I agree completely :)

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Yeah, it's experimental for a reason :)

But it's better than nothing imo, so I use it.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
These Eluktronics laptops look like the way to go! They are light, powerful, and affordable. They also look great, aside from the dorky logo on the back and ELUKTRONICS written on the bezel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.