Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Thats great. One thing that irritates me a lot on my MBP: when I run the Twitch app and watch a Twitch stream, the machine gets hot and fans are spinning at 4000-5000rpm, constantly. It's better when using the Twitch website in Safari (as it's still more efficient in rendering videos), but it's still annoying. And thats without doing anything else.

Could you run stream a Twitch stream for a minute and see how the CPU temperatures / fans do?

It's ok if you don't have time for this nonsense lol. It's also pretty OT, sorry.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Well, never used Twitch. Just looked at it now, and they don't have a client for Linux. I will try to install it via wine, lutris or something and see how it goes. If that fails, I will install it as soon as I have my Windows 10 install up and running. It's not a problem to test it out.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
It's good enough to open twitch in Chrome. The app is based on Electron and using Chrome, too :)

But as I said, it's not urgent or anything. It would just be a nice comparison.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
I also like hidpi monitors more then higher refresh rate. On my previous X1E, I got FHD monitor. Got used to it after a day or two. Then made a mistake by replacing that screen with 4K (by lenovo service).

Well, scaling on Linux is great if all of your monitors are highdpi as well. If not, scaling is really bad. Non-existent actually. On Windows 10 it's way better then on Linux, but still not even close to Mac OS.

Basically, I would choose a FHD device over 4K. That way you can avoid additional problems. My previous X1E was FHD, and I swapped the screen for 4K. Big mistake. Windows 10 got slower, and on Linux I had to put the screen on FHD to get my external monitors working like normal.
Remember I critic Linux about the multi screen issue?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
It's good enough to open twitch in Chrome. The app is based on Electron and using Chrome, too :)

But as I said, it's not urgent or anything. It would just be a nice comparison.

I 've just done it in Opera and Vivaldi. Don't have Chrome installed, and I really don't like anything from google to be installed on my PC. Both in Opera and Vivaldi fans are silent. I've just opened this stream:

It's on 1080p60. Can't hear fans at all.
I've opened up one more twitch tab in 1080p60, and thats when the fans kick in. But not loud, I can just barely hear them.

Remember I critic Linux about the multi screen issue?

?

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
That's very helpful :) Both Opera and Vivaldi use Chromium, so that's exactly what I wanted to know.

I'm sitting here in front of my desktop Ryzen 3600 and the fan never ramps up. Not a single time the whole day. It's by no means a silent machine, but quiet. I don't want to use my MBP anymore lol.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Well, here is a real desktop replacement... @Queen6 is gonna love this one:

This thing looks pretty fantastic actually. It's only 2.6kg and reasonably sized. Compare this with a P53 and well, I don't know, I could imagine working with it. They restricted the desktop CPUs to 65W (I think) and that's it. You can even replace the CPU later if you want to.

Big question will be noise of course. Curious to see the reviews when it hits.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
I 've just done it in Opera and Vivaldi. Don't have Chrome installed, and I really don't like anything from google to be installed on my PC. Both in Opera and Vivaldi fans are silent. I've just opened this stream:

It's on 1080p60. Can't hear fans at all.
I've opened up one more twitch tab in 1080p60, and thats when the fans kick in. But not loud, I can just barely hear them.

?
Wasn't it you who said you had no problems in multiple monitor setup?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Wasn't it you who said you had no problems in multiple monitor setup?

I really have no idea, because just about now I figured out what you mean by 'multiple monitor setup'. If you can link to those comments, we can talk about that.

Multiple monitor setup works best on Linux, better then on MacOS or Windows imho. Scaling on the other hand is lousy.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I really have no idea, because just about now I figured out what you mean by 'multiple monitor setup'. If you can link to those comments, we can talk about that.

Multiple monitor setup works best on Linux, better then on MacOS or Windows imho. Scaling on the other hand is lousy.
If you are into shortcuts, keyboard control, nothing beats Linux (Gnome in my case). Try to switch between opened window instances of the same app in MacOS. Yes, you can't, unless you never use the fullscreen mode and more than one space. It's absolutely hideous. And, this really bothers me, no one seems to care. When I asked here or over at Reddit how others deal with it it's always like: You are doing it wrong, use Expose, switch between spaces with CMD and the arrow keys. Yeah, screw that. I will never understand how a basic feature like this does not work in MacOS. And it all gets even worse if you use multiple monitors.
It's maybe the single most important reason why I don't want to go back to MacOS anymore.

Gnome is miles ahead in this regard. ALT + TAB switches applications, ALT + ~. And it does not give a * about virtual desktops and monitors.

UI scaling is still mastered by MacOS though, but if you buy your hardware with the problems of UI scaling in Gnome in mind, it's not an issue, really.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
@grmlin
Out of the box, nothing beats Linux when managing windows on multimonitor setup. I agree. And I'm a big fan of gnome as well. PopOS 20.04 just introduced auto tiling with gnome. It's still in beta, but I really dig it.

But on Mac OS I use sizeup + breeze app. Breeze is something I really miss on Windows or Linux. I can save my app position in pixels, and use custom shortcuts per app to position it.

99% of the people don't use keyboard shortcuts, so this doesn't affect them. I try to use mouse as little as possible.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Yeah, the session manager I tried for Gnome does not work. Many apps seem to be incompatible, and in the end I have to setup my work environment each time I cold boot my PC. It works somewhat acceptable with the auto move windows extension and startup programs. But it could be better.
But for me it's still much more painful to mouse click my way to the second chrome window on another monitor. It's infuriating. I hate the animating expose nonsense, and even with all animations disabled I still have to search for the window in question on all the spaces I use in MacOS.

Fun fact: my colleague does not even know what I'm raging about all the time. Everything is on one space, never uses fullscreen, problems solved...

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016

Multi monitor setup has different variable, one is how you can switch workspace/desktop between each screen, how things can be moved to a different screen and most importantly scaling...

Scalings Is a fundamental thing for mulit desktop and Linux is by far the worse.

Toss in the fact that it keeps forgetting my previous multi monitor setup and I sometimes even have to reboot my Linux system as it can no longer detect my monitor makes it the worse ever experience period.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Scalings Is a fundamental thing for mulit desktop and Linux is by far the worse.

Well, I've already said everything about scaling there is to say. I think we agree on this one.

Toss in the fact that it keeps forgetting my previous multi monitor setup and I sometimes even have to reboot my Linux system as it can no longer detect my monitor makes it the worse ever experience period.

Personally, never had such issues. For a whole year now, linux is my main OS. I'm connecting my laptop to various docks and monitors. Never once did it fail to recognize a dock or a monitor. Works like a charm. I have the same experiences with Windows and Mac OS. Never had any issues there either.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Totally up for one, will run simulations like a champ. 14" Zephyrus is also looking good as strikes a remendouse balance of portability & performance, equally if I come across the Apex 15 will be a done deal...

Q-6

14" Zephyrus beating Intels desktop i9 is astonishing. I'm looking forward to seeing what AMD does next, and hopefully OEMs will use their chips next year.

Reactions: Queen6

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
haha, yes. Watching this video I found the results of the 14" even more impressive :)

Queen6

macrumors G4
14" Zephyrus beating Intels desktop i9 is astonishing. I'm looking forward to seeing what AMD does next, and hopefully OEMs will use their chips next year.

Yeah is really impressive, pretty much the same here. Intel has all but stalled these days, just keep pumping up the boost clocks on the same lithology and now seems like they locking out undervolting which serves to make their mobile processors even less attractive to the informed.

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like Linus discovered these guys as well:

That is one flexing keyboard, I saw how much flex there was in the video, and then of course the battery.

What's odd is the stated weight on the website, 1.89kg, That's different then what Linus stated, or maybe I misheard what Linus said ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
That is one flexing keyboard, I saw how much flex there was in the video, and then of course the battery.

What's odd is the stated weight on the website, 1.89kg, That's different then what Linus stated, or maybe I misheard what Linus said ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

About the weight, I was wondering the same thing...
But people who buy this laptop, they will buy it as a real desktop replacement. As Linus said, a portable desktop.

And considering how much other OEMs are asking for their portable desktops, this one is a bargain, but with by far the best performance on the market at this moment.

I have no interest in a device such as this one, but if I were to buy something like this, I would go with XMG. It's just a shame they didn't go with their mechanical keyboards, like on XMG Fusion. One on this beast seems too mushy for my taste.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
They probably think that people will use it connected to a mouse and keyboard anyway ??
The German shop says it’s weight is 2,6kg btw. Which would still be pretty low for a laptop using desktop hardware, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.