Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
These Eluktronics laptops look like the way to go! They are light, powerful, and affordable. They also look great, aside from the dorky logo on the back and ELUKTRONICS written on the bezel.
Yea these are good laptops

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
These Eluktronics laptops look like the way to go! They are light, powerful, and affordable. They also look great, aside from the dorky logo on the back and ELUKTRONICS written on the bezel.

That's actually funny. I'm using XMG, basically EU version of Mag-15. Everything is the same, except the company name. And this is by far the cleanest laptop I have ever owned. On the front side, there is absolutely nothing. No logo, no stickers, nothing. On the back side, there is a XMG logo that is really hard to even see.

Attachments

• 20200325_235841.jpg
    20200325_235841.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 645
  • 20200325_235848.jpg
    20200325_235848.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 242
Reactions: TSE

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
That's actually funny. I'm using XMG, basically EU version of Mag-15. Everything is the same, except the company name. And this is by far the cleanest laptop I have ever owned. On the front side, there is absolutely nothing. No logo, no stickers, nothing. On the back side, there is a XMG logo that is really hard to even see.

amazing

D4shiL

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2020
København, Danmark
Hi
Im looking for an editing laptop that is kind of portable, but can also work with monitors hooked up.
Have anyone tried 4k editing on this machine?

The weight seems to be really good, but the height is kind of bugging me a bit with 2 cm. Is it a big problem?
and will a video editor benefit to go with the 2070 model?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
The weight seems to be really good, but the height is kind of bugging me a bit with 2 cm. Is it a big problem?
and will a video editor benefit to go with the 2070 model?

So far, this laptop is behaving like a champ. No issues at all.
But as far as video editing goes, I really can't help you out there. Check out those youtube reviews, and check comments in those reviews. I believe that some people mentioned video editing, so maybe you can find some help there as well.

I would also recommend their subreddit. They are really active on their subreddit.

Reactions: D4shiL

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Well, I couldn't get used to the keyboard, and linux support on this laptop isn't good enough for my taste.
So, almost a month has passed since I've ordered XMG Fusion 15. I've contacted them to see if it is possible to return my laptop for a refund, even if I have to take a financial hit.

Well, I explained my situation, and said that everything is ok with the laptop. Actually, everything is great hardware wise. I got really lucky with hardware, excellent screen, no coil whine, etc. 10/10

But Linux support isn't there yet. Sometimes I got really loud fan noise while doing regular tasks. I've tried everything to fix that issue, but couldn't. Under Windows 10, I got no such issues at all.

I was honest, and said that this is my fault, since I didn't investigate linux support on this laptop enough.
Their employee was great, and he offered me a full refund, they even pay for shipping. Now I see that their parent company is working on supporting linux as well, but no timeline.

They were under no obligation to accept my return, and if they didn't accept it, I would understand, and wouldn't hold it against them, since this is all on me. But they did accept it. I just hope that in the next year or two they will support linux, because this kind of customer support is rare.

I plan on visiting and purchasing from them again in the future. Really great laptop and great CS!

Reactions: Queen6

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
thanks for the update @c0ppo. I read a lot of good things about XMG, looks like they really care for their customers.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well, I couldn't get used to the keyboard
That's the tough part, I had trouble getting beyond the butterfly keyboard and then throw in the fact that apple hadn't resolved the issues (when I had owned one), was more then I was willing to handle.

What issues did you run into with Linux and this laptop?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
What issues did you run into with Linux and this laptop?

XMG 15 has one fantastic software and hardware ability. Near the power button, they have located the button to control the fans. So 3 easy settings: enthusiast (fans will ramp up to full if needed), balanced (name says it all), and silent.

In XMG Centre you can customize those 3 settings to your liking. Under windows 10, that works like a charm. Under 95% of my workload which consists of programming, terminal, ssh, sftp, etc., I never hear the fans. Never. For 5% of the time I'm utilizing CPU and GPU on burst loads, then I want the fans to kick in, and they do.

Well, that all goes down the drain under linux. Fans start on enthusiast mode, and there is no way to switch. Pressing the hardware button for fans doesn't work, fans stay on enthusiast mode. Starting a browser will ramp up the fans for a few seconds, starting Evolution (email+calendar+contacts app) will do the same.

Basically, under my entire workload, bans will ramp up and then become silent. It gets annoying over time.
They are developing their firmware and software for linux as well. I think that they got a lot of customers who aren't gamers, but basically developers like myself. But it will take time for those to arrive to market.

I really hate sending this device back. Besides the fans, I really love this device. Looks sleek, no gamerish designs on it at all. I got more ports then even on X1E. Ethernet port is a blessing for example.

My plan is to purchase X1E again. Already found a great deal on X1E second gen, payed for it, now waiting for it to arrive.

But when the time comes to change my device again, XMG is the first place that I will look for. Excellent laptop + best customer service I've ever had. I would be foolish not to check them out again after this service I've received.

Reactions: Queen6

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
Well, I couldn't get used to the keyboard, and linux support on this laptop isn't good enough for my taste.
So, almost a month has passed since I've ordered XMG Fusion 15. I've contacted them to see if it is possible to return my laptop for a refund, even if I have to take a financial hit.

Well, I explained my situation, and said that everything is ok with the laptop. Actually, everything is great hardware wise. I got really lucky with hardware, excellent screen, no coil whine, etc. 10/10

But Linux support isn't there yet. Sometimes I got really loud fan noise while doing regular tasks. I've tried everything to fix that issue, but couldn't. Under Windows 10, I got no such issues at all.

I was honest, and said that this is my fault, since I didn't investigate linux support on this laptop enough.
Their employee was great, and he offered me a full refund, they even pay for shipping. Now I see that their parent company is working on supporting linux as well, but no timeline.

They were under no obligation to accept my return, and if they didn't accept it, I would understand, and wouldn't hold it against them, since this is all on me. But they did accept it. I just hope that in the next year or two they will support linux, because this kind of customer support is rare.

I plan on visiting and purchasing from them again in the future. Really great laptop and great CS!
Stick with the x1e.!

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Stick with the x1e.!

For the time being, I will.
But in the future, I'm gonna look at XMG first. If they sort out their linux support, I'm gonna go with them. I don't need 2080max-q, but 1660Ti is great for my purpose. Lenovo doesn't offer that in their thinkpad lineup :(

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
XMG/Schenker updated the Key 15... It looks nice spec wise, but I have no idea if this thing will be any good, or how the thermals do in it. It also as a numblock, which I don't like. But I love the fact that you can customize these things according to your wishes. It's even better than what Dell/Lenovo/HP offer.

For the Fusion 15: the XMG support guy also said, that the fusion won't get the updated processors, as they are just more of the same and don't justify the costs to update the design. Intel really didn't make any real progress over the last years. Disappointing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XMG_gg/comments/g35ar2

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
as they are just more of the same and don't justify the costs to update the design
No argument, but I'll also say that majority of consumers have no idea about 9th gen intel vs. 10th gen, vs. AMD Ryzen and if they see companies going to the 10th gen but the XMG is still on the "old" generation that could bite them. I have no idea who's the intended audience for the XMG Fusion, so its conceivable their customers are more knowledgeable - just food for thought.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
No argument, but I'll also say that majority of consumers have no idea about 9th gen intel vs. 10th gen, vs. AMD Ryzen and if they see companies going to the 10th gen but the XMG is still on the "old" generation that could bite them. I have no idea who's the intended audience for the XMG Fusion, so its conceivable their customers are more knowledgeable - just food for thought.

XMG doesn't sell in local stores, maybe only in Germany. But I have never seen XMG in England, Italy, Croatia and many other countries. They are something like OnePlus, but for laptops.

Their customers are mostly gamers and pro-users. Those tend to visit their sub reddit where XMG stuff is really engaged and helpful. So I really doubt it's gonna hurt them at all.

And more power to them. Their laptop is great, and they treated me like I'm royalty. Reading others opinions, it's not just me. I'm good for now, but in the near future if I'm considering a laptop, I'm gonna check with XMG first.

Reactions: Queen6 and maflynn

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
As far as I understand they sell Clevo and other barebones, but really care for their customers and products.
The support guys are very active on reddit and different forums, answer questions and seem to be very open.

I'm really tempted to use one of their products, preorder a Key 15, but I just have no idea what to expect. How the keyboard feels, how loud the fans get... build quality, all that.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
I'm really tempted to use one of their products, preorder a Key 15, but I just have no idea what to expect. How the keyboard feels, how loud the fans get... build quality, all that.

Build quality is really great. Not like X1E great, but really close to it. They use low profile mechanical keyboard. It took me a day or two to get used to it. I think most of people will enjoy it.

Fans and thermals are what's impressive with this device, and it's the part where even Lenovo can learn a thing or two. But that's expected, since Intel is the one who basically designed this device. You can control fans in XMG Center, so you can make them completely silent if you're not doing anything heavy.

They have a return period, so you can order one, and if you don't like it, return it.

Reactions: grmlin

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
That's the Fusion though, and after your experiences with it using Linux it's not an option anymore :) And as far as I understand the Fusion is made by another company, not Clevo. Correct?

Reactions: c0ppo

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
That's the Fusion though, and after your experiences with it using Linux it's not an option anymore :) And as far as I understand the Fusion is made by another company, not Clevo. Correct?

I think it was made with multiple vendors and Intel, but I'm not 100% sure.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Maybe Tuxedo manages to release the Fusion 15 with fully functioning Linux. They said they are working on it.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
One more question @c0ppo if you don't mind :)

Do you use a FullHD panel on the X1E, too? Or did you get the 4K model? I still don't know if I could live with the lower res screen, as I got so used to high dpi monitors in my MBP and my external 24/27" 4k...

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
One more question @c0ppo if you don't mind :)

Do you use a FullHD panel on the X1E, too? Or did you get the 4K model? I still don't know if I could live with the lower res screen, as I got so used to high dpi monitors in my MBP and my external 24/27" 4k...

I also like hidpi monitors more then higher refresh rate. On my previous X1E, I got FHD monitor. Got used to it after a day or two. Then made a mistake by replacing that screen with 4K (by lenovo service).

Well, scaling on Linux is great if all of your monitors are highdpi as well. If not, scaling is really bad. Non-existent actually. On Windows 10 it's way better then on Linux, but still not even close to Mac OS.

Basically, I would choose a FHD device over 4K. That way you can avoid additional problems. My previous X1E was FHD, and I swapped the screen for 4K. Big mistake. Windows 10 got slower, and on Linux I had to put the screen on FHD to get my external monitors working like normal.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Thanks again. That's one of the reasons I want to get a 4k screen, I use an external 24" 4K at home, and a 27" 4K at work.

I got Pop_OS to work with different scalings for my 4K and an additional older one. But it's glitchy and does not remember any settings after a cold boot. It also stops working every now and then without any reason.

I guess I should just wait for other laptops to come out, but I really want to work away from my stationary PC again :(

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Well, if you need a laptop now, X1E 2nd gen is great. And it has the best linux support I have ever seen.
New Dells are announced also.

But if you can wait, I would wait for 2021 and Ryzen chips.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I can't wait until 2021... did you get your X1E already? How are the fans?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
I can't wait until 2021... did you get your X1E already? How are the fans?

Fans are better then on 1st gen. Under Linux is where this thing shines. I've undervolted straight away, and I barely ever hear the fans. Only when I'm doing really intensive stuff will they turn on. I have yet to install Windows 10 and see how they behave there, but I guess they are gonna be the same as under Linux.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.