Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
About the weight, I was wondering the same thing...
I'm confused by the weight, the website states 1.89 kg, and yet the 16 the MBP clocks in at 2.0 kg. Linus mentions the weight at 5.69lbs or 2.58kg

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I'm confused by the weight, the website states 1.89 kg, and yet the 16 the MBP clocks in at 2.0 kg. Linus mentions the weight at 5.69lbs or 2.58kg
It's 2.6kg on the German page. Must be a typo

Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-05-13 14-08-28.png

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013

@grmlin is right. Their website states 2,6kg. Here is the link:

Maybe they made a mistake and fixed it?

But never the less, it's amazing that such a beast is just 2,6kg.

Reactions: Queen6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maybe they made a mistake and fixed it?
That's probably the case, when you go to "order it", the site takes you to bestware.com, I hadn't noticed that little fact and its that site that states the 1.89kg. I scrolled down further and saw xmg site detailing 2.6kg

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
That's probably the case, when you go to "order it", the site takes you to bestware.com, I hadn't noticed that little fact and its that site that states the 1.89kg. I scrolled down further and saw xmg site detailing 2.6kg

1.89 is XMG Fusion 15 weight I believe. They probably just copied and pasted that info for reference, and forgot to edit it.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
XMG Ryzen can't be compared to Zephyrus. Not even to something like heavy gaming notebooks.
It's not a laptop, but a real portable PC. If I was in a need for one of those, XMG is by far the best one out there, simply because it's the only one with AMD chip, and the price is WAY better then anything out there.

But if I could pick between Zephyrus and XMG, I would go for Zephyrus. Simply because I want a laptop, and not a desktop replacement. My desktop is at my desk, and only time I will move it is either to clean it up, upgrade it, or replace it. It's not meant to be carried around.

AMD laptop chips could potentially disrupt the market. I mean, not even their top tier laptop chip beats Intel desktop chip. And it does all of that while being power efficient. Thats way more power then I really need, but if it is at the same price I'm paying for the power I do need, I want it.

Lets just hope OEMs use it come next year. Otherwise I will buy one, be it on premium device or not. I have no intentions on paying for lousier Intel chips, and paying a premium at that as well. Just like Apple discarded butterfly keyboards because of backlash, Intel can learn the same way.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Kind of seen some of these desktop replacements in the past, with some not fairing so well due to the sheer power demand resulting in failure, which make me a little cautious. I guess I'd give the XMG a shot if was able to see one first hand as there's a lot of other factors beyond performance with a notebook. It certainly could be advantageous, as my desktop must be portable...

Very much the same, hope more OEM's run with AMD CPU's as intel is offerings are simply overpriced for what they currently deliver and the vulnerabilities keep cropping up. More performance for less power budget what's not to like, equally much will depend on the OEM's and their contracts with Intel so may take some time for AMD to gain traction.

Personally think I'll be looking far more favourably to AMD powered hardware, as will see a boost in performance and reduced power demand. Likes of the 14" Zephyrus G with a 16/17 display 32Gb and 2070 would be right on the money, hopefully in 2021.

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.