Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FranApple

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
The battery health on my old 12 Mini took a sudden sharp decline when I started using wireless charging.

After switching back to a cable, the battery health stopped declining.

So I charge my 15 with the OG 5-watt brick, with the 80% limit. I still make it to the end of the day with 20-30% left after 4-5 hours of screen-on time.

I expect this battery to outlast the zombie apocalypse.
This is what concerns me. My battery health took a really fast dip last year when I wireless charged too.

BadBuoy

Suspended
Oct 3, 2023
I charged my iPhone 14 PM for an entire year since launch with a 30 watt fast charger and my battery health was at 100%. I'm now doing the same with my 15 PM. I may try MagSafe this time around in my car though.

ShiftHappens

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2022
Cable all the way. MagSafe in essence is just a different form of cable charging, so might as well use the cable anyway.

If I walk into a room, the phone starts to recharge itself, without me to put it on charging pad or plug any wire, then I’ll not charge through cable.
Agree - the only reason I can see for using MagSafe instead of USBC/Lightning at home/office is that it looks/feels cooler (four you - hotter for your phone I guess).
If your car has wireless charging (just putting your phone in the charging compartment) it makes sense to use it though...

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Wireless every day since it showed up on the iPhone 12 Pro. I use the Belkin 3-in-1 stand.

The only time I plug it in is when I’m driving, to access CarPlay.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
MagSafe for overnights, then USB-C cable when I need it charged up quickly.

MagSafe is far more convenient, in a pitch black bedroom it's easy to just hover and catch the magnet on the nightstand, no more shoulder twisting at 1am while half asleep trying to plug in a tiny cable with two hands. Just reach over with one hand, hear that satisfying 'slap', and off to sleep. Those of you who read your iPhone in bed before going to sleep know exactly what I mean.

USB-C is the 'oh crap' solution when battery is low and I need it charged back up fast before leaving the house.

Reactions: FreakinEurekan

cheesygrin

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2008
Plugging my phone in to charge is a task I do once a day, that takes about 2-3 seconds. It's never been a "problem" that I felt needed "resolving" by wireless charging... which just seems like an uneccesary complexity to me.

Reactions: rocketbuc

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
18W anker charger with included USB C to C cable.

for my Watch + Airpods I use the same charger with the Watch magsafe charger. I do have a lightning cable but I don't want to be carrying about 3 cables with me.

If I could use one cable for all 3 devices then I'd do that. I don't know if the iPhone magsafe can charge the watch or airpods. I'm guessing not.

I know my 15 PM battery is larger than my 12 PM but it feels slower to charge. I'd like more some speed in it. I don't know the max wattage fast charging takes on the 15 PM.

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
I’ve only ever used a cable. It is quick and easy to do. 5W with USB A to C or my MacBook Air charger (30W) if in a hurry. I have a 2m cable next to the bed so there’s plenty of reach for reading on the phone while plugged in. But between the excellent battery life on the 15 Pro and option of fast charging I haven’t actually needed to charge overnight yet.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I’m hesitant to use wireless charging because of faster battery degradation, so I’ve been charging with a cable at 20w.
I've wondered if it's a fact that wireless charging causes faster battery degradation when compared with wired charging. I have not heard anything definitive. I've only heard hearsay which sometimes becomes regarded as "fact".

In any case, I use MagSafe charging most of the time and use wired charging when travelling. MagSafe charging for me is very convenient at home because I can easily manipulate the angle of the wire to suit how I'm using the phone (e.g., lying down versus sitting up; landscape versus portrait, etc.). When travelling, I use wired because a wire is more compact to carry than a Magsafe cable.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I plug in. I have my watch charger and my lightning cable hooked up to the dual charger that came with my MacBook Air. I'm sure at come point I'll grab some magsafe pucks, but for now I'm fine with just plugging in.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
For my lightning iPhones I used the 5w charger. For my 15 PM I’ve been using the 20w charger.

A friend of mine talks about MagSafe charging like it’s a Star Trek transporter, but I’ve never seen it as an improvement. Magsafe is a big magnetic connection. USB is a tiny connection.
the advantage of MagSafe is that it aligns the coils as "perfect" as possible, thus being more efficient than Qi.
Wireless charging in general is about convenience ...

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
the advantage of MagSafe is that it aligns the coils as "perfect" as possible, thus being more efficient than Qi.
Wireless charging in general is about convenience ...
I’ve been using the MagSafe puck to charge my iPhone 13 since I purchased it in January 2023. It has taken 9 months of solid use, charging every night and using the MagSafe battery pack also to bring my battery down to 98%. I have used wired charging twice throughout the phone’s life. I genuinely don’t think that there is a noticeable difference between wired and MagSafe.

People have to just enjoy their phones and replace their batteries every 2-3 years.

Reactions: jz0309

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Have a 20W charger but mainly use the 5W (from the old SE) for overnight tethered charging. If a top up is absolutely needed I use the Mag Safe battery pack. Or charge both at night piggy-back, but that's a rarity.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
If I'm in a rush I will generally use the cord and the magsafe charger at the same time! Fully charges my 15PM in 15 minutes!
Is that even possible? I read that if you charge your phone using both methods, the software selects wired over wireless.

JSBRGX

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2023
The wife and I each have a Satechi 2-in-1 Magnetic Wireless on the bedside table. Alternatively, I use the Apple MagSafe Battery Pack if I need a little extra power during the day. Only use cable when I rarely need to connect it to my PC. I only do this when I have to update.

Magnetic Wireless Charging Stand​

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Pretty much always wireless charger (old Samsung one that I've been using for a few years) and the Magsafe charger (that I use over the weekends). Occasionally will use the lightning cable when travelling.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Plugging my phone in to charge is a task I do once a day, that takes about 2-3 seconds. It's never been a "problem" that I felt needed "resolving" by wireless charging... which just seems like an uneccesary complexity to me.
During the day, standing up, both hands free, well-lit room, it's easy to hold the phone in one hand, the cable in the other hand, find the tiny port, and plug it in.

Late at night, lying in bed, on your back, pitch black room, 90% asleep, your eyes adjusted to the backlight you've been viewing for the last half hour, you need to contort your body to get both hands free, find the cable, then plug the cable into the tiny port. That's what's unnecessarily complex. Fumbling around in the dark trying to mate a tiny USB-C cable tip into a tiny USB-C port.

With MagSafe, there is no need to fiddle with microscopic cable tips and microscopic cable receptacles. You just reach over with one hand, hover over MagSafe, hear the magnet slap against the iPhone, and you're done. Anyone who uses iPhone in bed in a pitch black room to help one fall asleep understands this.

Reactions: Andeddu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.