Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
iPhone 14PM battery health at 88%
Usually magsafe overnight, magsafe in home office,
and wired via Apple 30w adapter whenever i need a quick charge.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
the advantage of MagSafe is that it aligns the coils as "perfect" as possible, thus being more efficient than Qi.
Wireless charging in general is about convenience ...
Oh I get the benefit of MagSafe over Qi. I don’t understand and the benefit of MagSafe over a cable. Sure you can plop an iPhone down on a charging mat if you like, but if I plug my iPhone into a cable I can use it while it charges. It’s fine for people to use whatever they like. I guess I’ve never understood my friend’s wide-eyed enthusiasm for such a simple feature.

Reactions: Sorinut

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Oh I get the benefit of MagSafe over Qi. I don’t understand and the benefit of MagSafe over a cable. Sure you can plop an iPhone down on a charging mat if you like, but if I plug my iPhone into a cable I can use it while it charges. It’s fine for people to use whatever they like. I guess I’ve never understood my friend’s wide-eyed enthusiasm for such a simple feature.
as I said in my earlier post, pure convenience.
There is zero technical advantage over plugging the phone one. of course some will point to that they had issues with lightning ports that started wiggling and such, and going forward we'll see similar comments with usb-c.
leave alone that the efficiency is ~ 80% with MagSafe compared to wired charging, so it's wasting energy, and yes, on an individual level it's not a whole lot, but multiply that with 100 Million users ...

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Convenience. I can quickly take the phone on and off the charging dock which is something I do multiple times a day. Also, the dock doubles as a stand.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I guess I’ve never understood my friend’s wide-eyed enthusiasm for such a simple feature.
First, at night, pitch black room, you are 90% asleep, with MagSafe you simply hover your phone until the magnet snaps and then you go to sleep. One hand operation, no shoulder-twisting calisthenics, no fumbling around for a tiny little port.

Second, during the day, in your car, drop the phone in your armrest to charge, takes two seconds, start the engine, off you go. One hand operation, no shoulder-twisting calisthenics, no fumbling around for a tiny little port.

It doesn’t need to be anything more than that. It’s a major convenience.

Reactions: christlinah

gamerdude

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2015
Cable because it's faster and no heat generation. That's why I upgraded to iPhone 15 pro so that I could use all the USB C cables my other Apple devices use.

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
For me MagSafe is just so convenient; I have a 3-in-1-charger at my nightstand so I don't have to mess with any cables. On the go the MagSafe charger is also very convenient as I don't have to fiddle with the port (and scratch it in the long run) and also the phone can be used just like with a regular cable.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I always use the cable. I also carry around multiple 20 K Anker battery banks to charge my phone with randomly throughout the day (I really only need one of them, but I have a few with me every day). I really like using these batteries because I can just carry them with me and charge my phone when I want to without being stuck waiting for it to charge while it’s plugged into an outlet. The battery banks charge pretty darn quickly, approximately 18 W just like the Apple outlet charger. It works for me, I’m sure it’s not for everyone.

fessura

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2009
I use a non MagSafe wireless charger from Belkin that I got for my iPhone X and now use with my 12 Pro

Seems like those from Belkin might be the only Made for Magsafe? Others say the Apple tries to be smart in preventing overheating and other. Some mention the Belkin gets warm yet maybe Apple too. Maybe Apple is better maybe they're both ok and better then others that seem merely Qi with magnets for MagSafe.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Seems like those from Belkin might be the only Made for Magsafe? Others say the Apple tries to be smart in preventing overheating and other. Some mention the Belkin gets warm yet maybe Apple too. Maybe Apple is better maybe they're both ok and better then others that seem merely Qi with magnets for MagSafe.
I got my Belkin when I got my iPhone X so it was before MagSafe. It gets a bit warm when charging but I wouldn’t consider it hot or overheating

Davidnguyen_89

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2021
i got a bit of blue ink on the usb charger woven cord is there a way to make it disappear? i used soap and water/paper towel to clear it but wouldnt get off.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
At night: MagSafe. On the road: cable. Degradation statistic: 97% after one year, 93% after two years. I don’t worry about it at all. I’ve played with the 80% max setting in my new 15 PM, but stopped it. It forced me to charge early in the evening as the battery was dropping below 20% around 8pm, which annoyed me too much…😅
This sounds good to me. To be honest, my last phone was at 97% after a year using the cable exclusively so MagSafe doesn’t seem to make much of a difference if any.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Batteries age regardless of use and battery life will go down within a couple years anyways. Just give Apple the hundred bucks when the phone doesn't last long enough and charge wirelessly if that's convenient for you. It is for me and I don't spend a grand on a flagship device so I can worry about the battery. Tech is supposed to make our lives simpler and I expect it to just work with all advertised features.

If you have a SE which doesn't have great battery life to begin with and you don't want to spend the money on a new battery then fair enough, but especially with the SE wireless charging is extra convenient since you can go through 2-3 battery charges every single day and just placing it down on the pad is so much simpler than connecting the cable each time.

Finally, there is simply no proof that not charging wirelessly will really preserve your iPhone's battery health. You might have gotten an exceptionally good quality battery from the factory, or an average one, or one that just barely passed QC. There is a whole thread here about iPhone 14 Pro users finding out their batteries are degrading much quicker than expected for no good reason. Battery health comes down to luck (varying manufacturing quality).
Pretty much the perfect post👌🏻. I agree with everything you said - nailed it.

Reactions: Ruggy

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Where is this evidence?
I've come here to find out what people think about Magsafe charging so I don't have any special knowledge, but the Watch only charges by Magsafe so logically it's designed to not be a problem.
We've had the ports on two phones damaged by cables being pulled and there's nothing much you can do after that.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
The evidence seems to indicate that it either wasn’t considered, or it was deliberately ignored. Gotta sell those accessories after all.

Furthermore, the oh-so-green Apple seems to be forgetting that wireless charging is only half as efficient as cable charging. If every phone on earth charges wirelessly, that’s one heck of an increase in electricity consumption.

But hey, gotta sell those accessories.

Well they did come up with Magsafe, which is more efficient than just QI, because the phone is always perfectly centered. Apparently they cared more than others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.