Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
Went to Walgreens last night. Perfect experience. I even signed up for one of their rewards programs, because I intend to shop there more often now. haha.

Additionally, can anyone confirm any gas stations that have NFC terminals at the pump? Per the mastercard app, there is NFC at the Kum & Go gas station, but I checked one next to the walgreens last night and there was no NFC at the pump. I realized they probably have NFC inside, but there's no way I'll go inside just for the "convenience" of using apple pay :p

I went to a Kum & Go today, didn't see any at the pump but they did let me use apple pay inside. Oddly thought, it did require me to sign the signature pad, but the transaction did go through just fine.

Zexel

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2010
Massachusetts
You can remove Rite Aid from that list. I can confirm it worked great for a couple days, but I tried it last night and it appears they're blocking Apple Pay even though NFC is turned on. I got a specific Apple Pay message on the payment terminal when I used my iPhone, then the transaction was declined.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
You can remove Rite Aid from that list. I can confirm it worked great for a couple days, but I tried it last night and it appears they're blocking Apple Pay even though NFC is turned on. I got a specific Apple Pay message on the payment terminal when I used my iPhone, then the transaction was declined.

I updated with the thread. Some people are saying they used it today at Rite Aid so it might only be certain locations (or the disabled roll out might take some time).

lhfan04

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
I got a report from my SO that Apple pay works at Whataburger. at least through the drive thru. This is good news because they accidently went on record saying they don't on Twitter. This is good because She actually forgot her wallet today so apple pay saved her there

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
Just tried a Shop Rite supermarket in NY that has the terminals and is in the MasterCard Nearby app, but they are dead. The cashier said that they aren't working; he had tried himself.
I just went to a shop rite to try it out since the MasterCard app said it had contactless payments.

Same thing. I put my phone u to the terminal and nothing happened.

This was in Wayne, NJ. Does anyone have any info on Shop Rite?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Stopped by Fresh Market at lunch.
I didn't even bother since their terminals looked 15 years old and no NFC logo to be found.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Added Michael's (Arts & Crafts Store), verified today with Apple Pay, no problem. Using one of those newer verifone payment machines with the big touch screens, NFC is located behind the LCD of the pad. Worked fine.

----------

Stopped by Fresh Market at lunch.
I didn't even bother since their terminals looked 15 years old and no NFC logo to be found.

Never hurts to ask/try.... when I was at Michael's today, they had 0 NFC logos, but recognized the payment terminals from the gas stations I go to that have NFC... so decided to try.

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
Has anyone successfully tried it at Jack in the Box? Ours only has one mounted on the drive-thru, but I haven't had a chance to try it out.

I went through there today, and they took down their NFC readers at my location both inside and drive-thru. They were there until this week, so it would seem they took them down right before Apple Pay.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Home Depot accepted Apple Pay, but asked;
1- if I wanted receipt emailed.
2- Confirmation of total
then it;
3- Displayed "Show Card to Salesperson"
4- Required a signature.

clg82

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Southern California
figured I would add one place....not sure how many people have a Stater Bros grocery store near them but I used my 6+ to pay for my groceries yesterday....

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I got a report from my SO that Apple pay works at Whataburger. at least through the drive thru. This is good news because they accidently went on record saying they don't on Twitter. This is good because She actually forgot her wallet today so apple pay saved her there

Tried at an Albuquerque Whataburger today, no luck.
Phone told me to place finger and hold up to terminal but nothing happened. Paid with cash instead then asked manager. He said they didn't support it. I didn't ask why and didn't think to ask about Google wallet. Maybe they're in the same club as CVS, et al?

I did use it at Wallgreens Sunday and it worked, but I still had to type my PIN on the pad.

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Just used Apple Pay at Bi-Lo and it worked even though there was no signage posted about mobile payment acceptance. It did ask for me to enter my PIN number and still required me to sign.

Ventil8

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
I attempted to use Apple Pay at the Home Depot in Austin, TX. Howard Lane location, and it declined my transaction. I used Apple Pay at Panera Bread with the same card and it worked flawlessly. I had to swipe my credit card.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Yes. The terminals cost more per month and the fees for NFC being enabled are higher. One would expect the costs to go down in the next year or so though.

Until now, banks have considered NFC transactions as card not present transactions, for which they change more (since there is greater risk of fraud when the card is not present).
Apple, however, has negotiated with banks to have their transactions treated as card present (i guess because the banks realize that there is far less risk of fraud):

http://ww2.cfo.com/mobile/2014/09/banks-give-apple-break-mobile-transaction-fees/

boraski

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
I just went to a shop rite to try it out since the MasterCard app said it had contactless payments.

Same thing. I put my phone u to the terminal and nothing happened.

This was in Wayne, NJ. Does anyone have any info on Shop Rite?

Last week, I successfully did an Apple Pay debit transaction at the Shop Rite in Hillsborough, NJ, express checkout lane. Today, I went to a regular checkout lane in the same store and the NFC reader was dead. Either they have disabled them due to their affiliation with CurrentC, or they have decided to only use it for express lanes, or they are just inconsistently enabled. Next time I go there I'll try the express lane again.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Added Michael's (Arts & Crafts Store), verified today with Apple Pay, no problem. Using one of those newer verifone payment machines with the big touch screens, NFC is located behind the LCD of the pad. Worked fine.

----------

Never hurts to ask/try.... when I was at Michael's today, they had 0 NFC logos, but recognized the payment terminals from the gas stations I go to that have NFC... so decided to try.
It looks like a lot of stores are going this route, it is almost like they are trying to dissuade you from using NFC. Basha's is like this too. That or the software running on their registers is too old that it supports NFC, but can't show it.

SatManager

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Las Vegas
Jack in the Box in North Las Vegas works but does not have a terminal at the drive in. They didn't install one during the latest remodel.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

----------

Nothing at my Michaels- they still have the old terminals, is your location in the MasterCard app?

----------

I attempted to use Apple Pay at the Home Depot in Austin, TX. Howard Lane location, and it declined my transaction. I used Apple Pay at Panera Bread with the same card and it worked flawlessly. I had to swipe my credit card.

Was it a debit? If it was you have to run it as credit. Also Home Depot is turning on their NFC readers one store at a time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.