Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
figured I would add one place....not sure how many people have a Stater Bros grocery store near them but I used my 6+ to pay for my groceries yesterday....

My Stater Brothers has most of the machines turned off for some reason. At least I think they are off, the green light isn't on. I didn't bother to try with people behind me.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So, I deliberately sought out a Chevron today to use Apple Pay. I was willing to pay 19 cents more a gallon than a gas station across the street. There was no way to pay at the pump, so I went inside. The cashier did his thing with the register and I waived my phone over the terminal. My phone vibrated, the terminal recognized it, then the cashier stopped me and told me that he had to cancel the transaction.

He said that the "BIG BOSS" told them that they could not accept Apple Pay as it messes up their paperwork.

I am hoping for Apple Pay's sake, that this is just a local issue and not wide spread across Chevrons everywhere.

This one is located at 1140 Ontario Ave, Corona, CA
Report them.

My chevron told me that it messes with their drawer counts because when they do their count, it shows up as cash and the cash is missing. However they didn't stop me from using Apple Pay.

----------

I think part of the problem is that the PayPass terminals were poorly maintained and now there is a huge influx of use on them, that people are running into broken ones.

clg82

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Southern California
My Stater Brothers has most of the machines turned off for some reason. At least I think they are off, the green light isn't on. I didn't bother to try with people behind me.

mine diddn't look like it was on either but when i held the phone to it, it brought up my cards on file...

IAhawk10

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
HyVee has disabled their NFC terminals as well... Can someone please add it to the list? I don't have 25 posts yet.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
And my Office Max doesn't have NFC terminals installed. Double :(

My office max just got new terminals yesterday! Very nice huge screen. NFC works kind of. They payment goes through on the POS terminal, though is still declined as the manager said they still need the new cash registers/computers for NFC to work, should be there by the end of the year.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
How do you use it at Chevron? By the pump? None of the ones near me have any indication there's a NFC there..

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
How do you use it at Chevron? By the pump? None of the ones near me have any indication there's a NFC there..

Most Chevrons you go inside but at mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 470

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Columbia outlet store is no go, was flat out told that NFC won't work and the chip/pin are disabled.

Also, I'm not completely sure, but I think old navy and GAP is no go as well (they are own by the same company). They have the NFC sensor, but you can tell the sticker that was once on it, probably with the NFC symbol on it was peeled off as the adhesive residue have attracted many dust/fibers.

I have four credit card added to Apply Pay, but I have yet had the chance to actually use it....

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Well...I went to a Subway in Countryside, IL yesterday to buy a sub sandwich and use ApplePay and the 'nuts" had the proper Subway payment terminal behind the cash register (good luck taking EMV cards).

I had to give him my card...

:mad::eek:

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
The Am/Pm (Arco) by me just installed new terminals with chip and pin, and NFC support. Apple Pay will work there eventually (as they are owned by BP, an Apple Pay partner) though right now, only Google Wallet works as you can't use Credit, you can only use Debit, and Apple Pay has problems with some retailers with debit as the tokenization is decrypted by the bank rather than Google, and you must use your cards pin. Where as Google Wallet, Google does the decryption and you enter your wallet pin, this works at every NFC terminal where as Apple Pay, only supported retailers can use debit, though put them down as they do "support it" though the backend has to be fixed, for now, Google Wallet works perfectly there.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Well...I went to a Subway in Countryside, IL yesterday to buy a sub sandwich and use ApplePay and the 'nuts" had the proper Subway payment terminal behind the cash register (good luck taking EMV cards).

I had to give him my card...

:mad::eek:

Had the same incident at the Subway here, I told them to move it, and they did and I used Apple Pay. Other subways I've even had to reach over...how sad. Subway miscommunication is worse than McDonalds!

Also if they have a self swipe terminal behind the register, I would refuse to give them my card, I already hate to do so at restaurants, let me swipe my own damn card. (Or tap my phone)

----------

The Am/Pm (Arco) by me just installed new terminals with chip and pin, and NFC support. Apple Pay will work there eventually (as they are owned by BP, an Apple Pay partner) though right now, only Google Wallet works as you can't use Credit, you can only use Debit, and Apple Pay has problems with some retailers with debit as the tokenization is decrypted by the bank rather than Google, and you must use your cards pin. Where as Google Wallet, Google does the decryption and you enter your wallet pin, this works at every NFC terminal where as Apple Pay, only supported retailers can use debit, though put them down as they do "support it" though the backend has to be fixed, for now, Google Wallet works perfectly there.

This is interesting, what state are you in? We have AM/PM here, and they still have the ugly gray terminals. Hope they get the new ones soon, so I can try it out, I've had good luck with debit over NFC so far.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Had the same incident at the Subway here, I told them to move it, and they did and I used Apple Pay. Other subways I've even had to reach over...how sad. Subway is worse than McDonalds!

----------

This is interesting, what state are you in? We have AM/PM here, and they still have the ugly gray terminals. Hope they get the new ones soon, so I can try it out, I've had good luck with debit over NFC so far.
California, and just a week ago we still had the ugly gray ones. These are brand new.

sdjones121

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
Just tried using Apple Pay at the BX and, shockingly, it worked. Since I just created this account I can't update the wiki, would someone be so kind as to add AAFES to the "accepted" list? Thanks.

Last edited:

sliprat

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
Rubios Announces they are officially accepting Apple Pay

October 20, 2014
Task Retail Technology (TASK) announced today that all Rubio’s restaurants will accept the new Apple Pay functionality beginning immediately.

As per the Apple announcements, Apple Pay will change how you pay with breakthrough contactless payment technology and unique security features built right into the devices you have with you every day. So you can use your iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch to pay in an easy, secure, and private way. Task Retail Technology’s xchangexec platform co exists with the VeriFone payment gateway to provide a seamless integration for the customer, enabling technology innovations such as this exciting new development to be rolled across our joint customers, such as Rubio’s, in an expedited fashion.

“At Rubio’s, we take the guest experience very seriously and are always looking for ways to improve it,” said Marc Simon, CEO of Rubio’s. "The Apple Pay function provides our guests with a streamlined option to pay for their order directly from their iPhone 6s or Apple Watch devices. By simplifying the transaction process, guests are now able to focus on enjoying their food.”

Rubios Apple Pay Announcement

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
October 20, 2014
Task Retail Technology (TASK) announced today that all Rubio’s restaurants will accept the new Apple Pay functionality beginning immediately.

As per the Apple announcements, Apple Pay will change how you pay with breakthrough contactless payment technology and unique security features built right into the devices you have with you every day. So you can use your iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch to pay in an easy, secure, and private way. Task Retail Technology’s xchangexec platform co exists with the VeriFone payment gateway to provide a seamless integration for the customer, enabling technology innovations such as this exciting new development to be rolled across our joint customers, such as Rubio’s, in an expedited fashion.

“At Rubio’s, we take the guest experience very seriously and are always looking for ways to improve it,” said Marc Simon, CEO of Rubio’s. "The Apple Pay function provides our guests with a streamlined option to pay for their order directly from their iPhone 6s or Apple Watch devices. By simplifying the transaction process, guests are now able to focus on enjoying their food.”

Rubios Apple Pay Announcement
They aren't an "Apple partner" but Apple Pay had worked just fine there. I guess now they're a "partner"

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
Works at Foodtown and Shoprite in NJ.

Where in NJ? I tried at the Wayne Shop Rite and the Fairlawn Shoprite.. neither worked. My friend tried his google wallet too, didn't work of course.

The guy at the register in fairlawn said he's never seen it work even for people trying to tap.

Seems some shop rites have them turned off, even tho the master card app says their contactless payments should work.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Just tried using Apple Pay at the BX and, shockingly, it worked. Since I just created this account I can't update the wiki, would someone be so kind as to add AAFES to the "accepted" list? Thanks.

Which AAFES (which base?)

I added Navy Exchange to AAFES, since they are one in the same.

----------

Most Chevrons you go inside but at mine

Sad face. My closest Chevron is behind the times. Once it has Apple Pay, it will be the only place I get gas from.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Not a "major" retailer, but a regional fast food restaurant / mini-grocery: Braum's.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went in one for dinner earlier this week and saw that they accept NFC payments, including Apple Pay. Why was I surprised? Well, if you're not familiar with them, they're stuck in the 1980s (yes, this commercial still airs).

Reactions: coolman13355
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.