Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
I just received my Marware Eco-Vue folio style case for the iPad. I've only played with it for about an hour, but have some initial impressions and some comparisons with the Apple case.

Marware uses what they call eco-leather which I from their site is "green" leather because fewer toxins are used (tell that to the cows :p). The case feels nice and does appear to be well made, and solid quality.

Unlike the Apple Case, you put the iPad in through the top. It's also much easier to put the iPad into the Marware case.

Like the iPad the Marware has a strap that is tuck behind the iPad to secure it in place.

In this picture you can see that on the inside portion of the cover flap is the hand strap and the typing prop. The hand strap is a nice addition, but I wish it were a bit tighter. Also, just after a few uses it has gotten a bit looser and I don't know if it will become even looser over time or if it is designed for that much give.

The typing prop is the piece you flip down to put the iPad in its "typing position". It's held by two elastic bands, but snaps back in place when you let it go and I assume this is done by magnets.

The landscape mode is pretty basic, no tricks. You just fold the front flap back and it props the iPad at an angle. My issue with this is that there is no indication at what angle to fold it back and you kind of just do it until it stays. Also, it's not really secure so a good bump to the desk or multiple vibrations could cause the iPad to fall backwards. The good news is that fall backwards seem less harmless than falling forwards as the Apple case may be prone to do.

Some other impressions... The Marware case is thicker and could provide more protection is a short fall/drop. However, as you will see in the pics below, the sides are not completely covered as they are in the Apple case.

With all the said, I am not sure which case I will keep. The Marware case is a nice solid case, but it does not blow me away and it has its short comings.

If there is anything specific you would like to know about this or the Apple case, please let me know.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
im sorry to burst your bubble but the case really hides the beauty of the ipad...

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
I just received this case today as well. My Apple case arrived about 15 minutes later. Now all I have to do is wait for my iPad (3G:mad:)

I would concur about the look and feel of the Marware case. It's good to know that the iPad goes in and out pretty well. I plan to use the case for transport, picture stand and typing platform, but will take it out often to use it naked. The case is pretty solid, much more than the Apple Case, which gives me a little more confidence about protection when thrown in a bag with other books, etc.

The typing stand is quite solid and the elastic strap secures it both in a closed and folded back position. The hand strap is a great bonus. It is a little loose. I find the comfortable way to hold it is to slide my hand in almost to the wrist with my fingers curled around the side.

I am a little worried about case falling down in landscape mode. You actually need a narrower stance on the stand to make it stay upright. But as was stated, if it does collapse, I don't imagine it will be tragic.

The Apple Case is going back, even before I try it with the iPad. I'm in the camp that can't stand the feel of the material. It is incredibly thin and light weight, perhaps to a fault. Since I'm not looking for the iPad to reside in it permanently, a more substantial case will will be of more use to me.

EcoVue was definitely the right choice

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Seems pretty nice. How is getting it out of and back into the case?

It's pretty easy to put in and remove. You put it in from the top and secure it in place by tucking the strap behind the iPad. To remove, you just pull the strap from behind the iPad and you can either pull it out from the top or push it out from the bottom. The Marware case is not as tight around iPad as the Apple case making it much easier to put in and remove, but it's also not too loose and still feels like it's securely in there.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and excellent photos of the Marware Eco-Vue case. It is one of the cases I am considering and I really appreciate your helpful and constructive contribution to our little iPad community here!

Mark

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Like almost every third party case, it carries excessive bulk. I prefer the form-fitting and thinness of Apple's iPad case. The Apple case covers more surface area of the device and is much thinner.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
I've been debating back and forth about picking up the Marware or the Macally bookstand. They both seem pretty good, and both have the ability to prop up to type on.

As of yet, from the ones that I've seen, the Apple is the perfect design with the worst material, and the Incase is FAR too thick.

Jedolly, how does the Marware feel when the flap is flipped back and you're just holding the iPad. Does it feel too thick or heavy, or is it just the right blend of protection and thickness?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Jedolly, how does the Marware feel when the flap is flipped back and you're just holding the iPad. Does it feel too thick or heavy, or is it just the right blend of protection and thickness?

I'd like to know this too. Also to those of you who has the Apple case, same question. How does the case + iPad feel when the cover is folded back and you are, say, reading an ebook?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
I'd like to know this too. Also to those of you who has the Apple case, same question. How does the case + iPad feel when the cover is folded back and you are, say, reading an ebook?

I think it feels rather comfortable, but whether it's too thick or not will differ from person to person. I should point out that when you have the flap folded back, you can use the thin strap to secure the flap to the case (same strap you would use to keep the flap closed). This is not a huge deal, but you are no longer need to apply ANY pressure to keep the flap back as may find yourself doing on the Apple case. Another bonus is the hand strap. Even though I feel it could have been done better, the inclusion alone makes it more comfortable than not having one.

In the end, you must decide if the case is "too thick" for you. I haven't made my own decision yet, but I will say that the case is very comfortable and solid.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
I should point out that when you have the flap folded back, you can use the thin strap to secure the flap to the case (same strap you would use to keep the flap closed). This is not a huge deal, but you are no longer need to apply ANY pressure to keep the flap back as may find yourself doing on the Apple case.

I didn't think about that at all.

I was very surprised by how thin it looks in the wild. On Marware's site the Ecovue looks almost as thick as the Incase, but obviously isn't. And if it feels comfortable when flipped around...then I'm sold.

Also, what was the ship time for you Jedolley?

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I finally got this case today too! I'm really thinking about returning my Apple case. It's just a matter of time till something rips on it and then I get to see the cardboard that makes up the case.

It is so much easier to place the iPad in this case and remove it than the Apple case. I just don't like the elastic strap that holds the case together. The quality of the Eco-Vue is what I demand from a case. Plus it's very professional looking.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
I didn't think about that at all.

I was very surprised by how thin it looks in the wild. On Marware's site the Ecovue looks almost as thick as the Incase, but obviously isn't. And if it feels comfortable when flipped around...then I'm sold.

Also, what was the ship time for you Jedolley?

It was shipped Tuesday via USPS priority mail from FL to TX and got here about noon today.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY

Not too bad. I prefer holding just the iPad though, if I'm reclining on a couch.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
It's pretty easy to put in and remove. You put it in from the top and secure it in place by tucking the strap behind the iPad. To remove, you just pull the strap from behind the iPad and you can either pull it out from the top or push it out from the bottom. The Marware case is not as tight around iPad as the Apple case making it much easier to put in and remove, but it's also not too loose and still feels like it's securely in there.

The Apple iPad case gets a little bit looser with time. The first couple times I put it in/out it was kind of a b*tch, but now it slides in easily.

Sliding out is still a bit tough, but once you can get your fingers on the other side of the iPad, pushing it out is easy.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
I've been using the Marware case exclusively tonight and there are two glaring issues and one kind of minor problem. Landscape is unreliable, unless you get it just right it just collapses backwards. Also, I am finding the hand strap to be more and more useless. I have above average size hands and the only way the hand strap works for me is if I spread my fingers out while my hand is half way through it. The problem is this becomes rather uncomfortable after a short period of time. If I hold it like a book, then the strap is completely not needed. I'm not sure how they could have improved it, but my initial thinking is either making it tighter or shorter so the gap doesn't span the whole length of the case. The minor problem is with the top strap made to hold the the iPad in. The top is rather loose and the top strap provides very little hold in keeping the iPad from falling out in the event the iPad is upside down. I list this as a minor issue because, hopefully you aren't putting you iPad upside down and if you you notice it slipping out before it comes completely out and cracks on the floor.

I'm going to use the Apple Case exclusively tomorrow and see if I can get a better idea of which one I like more.

julip

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Hi - thanks for your review and pictures! I too received my case yesterday and have made similar observations as you have. The looseness of the tab was one of the first problems I found with this otherwise very nice case. I am going to attach a small dot of velcro to the tab, which I think will solve this problem. I have already seen my iPad sneak out a little as I've moved it back and forth from portrait to landscape, and not realizing it sometimes ends up upside down. At least the elastic band will help keep it in when the cover is closed.

As for the handstrap, I found a comfortable position for this, especially in landscape mode, when lying down. I put the strap between my index finger and thumb with my palm open and facing out. It takes off a lot of the pressure off my wrist this way and allows me to surf, etc for a longer period of time than if I had my palm facing towards me.

I also have the Apple case and will be keeping it as well when I want a slimmer form factor. But I am big on accessories, so I'm likely to pick up another at some point too. I think this case feels great, and I like how the height from the folded back cover raises up the iPad more overall from the surface, whether or not with the keyboard kickstand out. It seems more comfortable and natural to my wrists when typing.

mmacc

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2009
Bluegrass State
Marware Eco-Vue case

I received my Marware case yesterday and I'm very happy with it. It nicely complements the iPad. The exterior of the case is a semi-soft leather and the interior is a very,very soft leather. I use its pull-out stand if I'm at a table/desk and if I'm on the sofa I might borrow my MacBook Pro's cushion to prop it up a little higher depending on how long I'm going to use it.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8N044-KHK-CushTop-Notebook-Stand/dp/B000P1PLFS

Here's Marware's website on the case -->

http://www.marware.com/products/iPa...9c95b311e36629a8.e3eTax4KaN0Le34Pa38Ta38RaNf0

The elastic band on the backside of the case can be brought around to secure the whole case including the iPad -->

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2689/4505893722_6c349436af_b.jpg

...or the elastic band can be brought around just to secure the iPad -->

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2690/4505258151_74ac437bf5_b.jpg

Here's the case opened up -->

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/4505259829_caaaf0eb29_b.jpg

Here's a couple of photos showing the back side of case folded around and using its pull-out stand -->

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4505261115_952a47a0c9_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4505895722_05b316ebbb_b.jpg

For those who are trying to decide, I hope this helps.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Does anyone have this in stock? Everywhere I look it's backordered, I emailed Marware but no response yet. I have had a Marware case in the past, and loved it.

pup975

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Does anyone have this in stock? Everywhere I look it's backordered, I emailed Marware but no response yet. I have had a Marware case in the past, and loved it.

I ordered mine just after they sold out of their initial round. When I called, they said they would be getting more in on Wednesday and shipping out on Thursday. I'm not sure if they've already sold out on the 2nd shipment.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
It says it's sold out... I emailed, hope they get more, it looks fabulous. Just wanna secure it so that when the ThreeGee comes in, I have a case for it.

julip

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
I received my Marware case yesterday and I'm very happy with it. It nicely complements the iPad. The exterior of the case is a semi-soft leather and the interior is a very,very soft leather. I use its pull-out stand if I'm at a table/desk and if I'm on the sofa I might borrow my MacBook Pro's cushion to prop it up a little higher depending on how long I'm going to use it.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8N044-KHK-CushTop-Notebook-Stand/dp/B000P1PLFS

---------------------------------
Hey, I have this exact Belkin stand - I found it at Marshalls about a month ago. It works great! I use it with my MB in combination with a Logitech lapdesk that has a pull-out mouse pad.

For those that are curious, I did go ahead and get a pack of low profile Velcro "Spots" to secure the tab, and it works like a charm.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Like almost every third party case, it carries excessive bulk. I prefer the form-fitting and thinness of Apple's iPad case. The Apple case covers more surface area of the device and is much thinner.

Nice, thanks for sharing this observation. As professional looking as this and some other 3rd party cases are over the Apple case, I personally take preference to minimalism over most aspects of case design. Though comments on the difficulty of fitting the iPad in the Apple case is a bit off setting...Hmm..

That's not to say this case looks bulky though. Compared to the incase jacket, this is much more minimal and less bulky. This is a very nice case OP, and thanks for sharing your review. I was actually seriously considering this case too, so this review is very appreciated.

Kalison

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Interesting case, it does look nice.

However I think I am still liking my Apple one. It just form fits the iPad... and adds minimal bulk in the process. Plus I love the feel of it. Not too rubbery and not too slick.

I DO like that case though! I am going to have to see one first hand.

Thanks for the review!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.