Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
I think the Macally looks great, but its a shame that they've limited the options they're selling in the US.

Their European version is black leather instead of grey suede.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Update:

After a few days of using both the Marware case and the Apple case, I have decided to keep the Apple case.

I believe the Marware case is better quality, and nicer looking. However, there were a few things with it's design that ultimately decided it's fate.

- Landscape mode, like I previously mentioned, is unstable and unless you get it just right will just collapse backwards. This does improve a little after some use, but I think the "A" or "upside down V" design for a stand is just not practical in this case unless there is some sort of support or maybe a grip on the part of the flap that meets the surface.

- Also in Landscape mode, the volume buttons are inaccessible. Again, this is a weakness with the "A" or "upside down V" design. Every case with this type design will probably suffer from this problem. The way Apple's case is designed (also the Macally Bookstand, or at least in pics) has the volume buttons up top and accessible, which is nice when watching videos in landscape.

- After more use, I still feel the handstrap while being a good idea is useless by design. It's too large, and I find myself still holding it by the spine leaving the strap unused.

- The top or opening is too loose and the thin prevent strap hardly helps. I know someone mentioned using the band to help hold the iPad in place, but I doubt that was the intention and preferred using the band to secure the flap.

My only major problem with the Apple case was the Landscape mode seeming unstable, but that has improved since the case has been broken in. I'm also finding myself liking the slim design of the Apple case over the addition bulk of the Marware. I just wish the Apple case had some way of keeping the flap down either by a strap or magnet.

The Apple case is hardly perfect, but to me it's more than acceptable until something better comes along.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
Well, I ordered my Marware today. They're out of stock so it could take a while before it ships, but I'm looking forward to getting it.

That being said, I'm still keeping my eye on the Macally Bookstand thread to see how it looks in the wild, I could end up canceling my Marware order and switching.

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
I would take exception with the "uselessness of the hand strap" comment. I think this may vary from person to person. I personally find the hand strap useable in a couple of different positions.

1. Top of strap between thumb and forefinger.
2. Hand through the strap almost to the wrist with fingers wrapped around the outside edge.

It is true that the volume controls are not readily accessible in landscape, but as stated, this would be true of any landscape stand.

Other than that the case has a nice, solid, professional leather feel.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
I would take exception with the "uselessness of the hand strap" comment. I think this may vary from person to person. I personally find the hand strap useable in a couple of different positions.

1. Top of strap between thumb and forefinger.
2. Hand through the strap almost to the wrist with fingers wrapped around the outside edge.

It is true that the volume controls are not readily accessible in landscape, but as stated, this would be true of any landscape stand.

Other than that the case has a nice, solid, professional leather feel.

Agreed, the usefulness of the strap will depend on the user. I tried to make it clear that my impressions were solely that, mine. I still feel the case is a good option and it was only a few little things that made me choose the Apple case.

Also, not all landscape stands will obstruct the volume controls, just the ones shaped like a tent, upside-down V, etc. The Apple case and Macally bookstand are two examples that use a different approach to landscape which allows access to the volume.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
My Marware case finally arrived today. I ordered directly from Marware.com, it shipped Monday and arrived today via priority mail.

Thus far I like it alot, I think it adds enough shock protection that my iPad could now survive a very short fall, or at least weather everyday bumps and such.

The setup is great, it holds my iPad snugly in the case, and the pullout typing platform works very well on tables, less on legs and such. I do agree with Jedolley, the strap is definitely too loose, but I do think it adds at least a little bit of functionality, it doesn't do much when you're sitting down, but if you're walking around with iPad it does help change the weight distribution a bit.

The only thing that disappoints me about the case is the material. I was under the impression that it was some kind of cool kind of leather that was more environmentally friendly. Turns out its just good quality pleather. Ho hum. That being said, it feels like a great case and I think my money was well spent.

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
My brother got his today and he let me look at it for awhile, and I'm so impressed with it. I'd get one, if only I didn't just plain love having the iPad directly in my hands directly.

It's definitely better than the Apple case.

blg123

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
I ordered one yesterday (4/24) from Marware's website. Hope to get it in advance of next Friday when I'll be getting my 3G. Their site didn't say anything about not having stock, so I anticipate receiving it in a few days.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
anyone feel the magnet in this case might mess with the ipad internals?
To be clear, the magnet is what pulls and hold the little flap stand thing for keyboard tapping in place

email68

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with both the Marware and the Macally Bookstand?

I like how the Macally does not cover the screen at all, but the Marware looks more professional to me. I'll be taking my iPad to meetings and I think the Marware would fit that bill better.

How does the quality between the two compare?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with both the Marware and the Macally Bookstand?

I like how the Macally does not cover the screen at all, but the Marware looks more professional to me. I'll be taking my iPad to meetings and I think the Marware would fit that bill better.

How does the quality between the two compare?

From someone that has owned all 3, this is my take:

Style/Design: 1. Macally and 2. Marware.

Functionality: 1. Macally and 2. Apple

Protection: 1 Marware and 2. Apple

In the end I kept the Apple case because it was the Jack of Trades. Just waiting for something to WOW em now.

AcesOverKings

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2010
Eco-Vue

I have the Eco-Vue standing by for the arrival of my 3G iPad on Friday. I'll post a review after a brief test period.

I selected the Eco-Vue because I spend a significant amount of time in business meetings jotting notes, so I wanted a black, non-descript folio style that wouldn't scream "Yeah, I'm THAT guy who had to go buy the newest toy! Look at me, I'm paperless!"

Even though... I'm kinda that guy.

I'd probably have gone with the Apple case, but the cover not laying flat was a deal-breaker. To me it makes it look sloppy and would just wreak havoc with my self-diagnosed OCD to see the cover loosely hanging over the front when it was closed.

I wish Marware had included a tiny pocket for a business card or two with the Eco-Vue, but I'm excited for the case so far. Of course, if the folding stand doesn't stay up and my "notebook" keeps collapsing on the table as I try to type notes in meetings, I'm sure I'll get clowned on a bit at work. I hope that's not the case. (No pun intended.)

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Just got mine today and REALLY like it a lot! More so than i expected. It's not as bulky as some people say, is super professional looking and the quality is very nice. It feels great and getting it for under $50 shipped was a good deal.

Nice job Marware!

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
I just got this case, I have to say...it is really solid! I was worried about the extra heft a case would add to the iPad, and I was enjoying using it naked, but I kind of like the extra heft.

kloan

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
My Marware case finally arrived today. I ordered directly from Marware.com, it shipped Monday and arrived today via priority mail.

Thus far I like it alot, I think it adds enough shock protection that my iPad could now survive a very short fall, or at least weather everyday bumps and such.

The setup is great, it holds my iPad snugly in the case, and the pullout typing platform works very well on tables, less on legs and such. I do agree with Jedolley, the strap is definitely too loose, but I do think it adds at least a little bit of functionality, it doesn't do much when you're sitting down, but if you're walking around with iPad it does help change the weight distribution a bit.

The only thing that disappoints me about the case is the material. I was under the impression that it was some kind of cool kind of leather that was more environmentally friendly. Turns out its just good quality pleather. Ho hum. That being said, it feels like a great case and I think my money was well spent.

What, it's not real leather?? They say it's real on their website... I'd be very surprised if a company like Marware would lie about something like that.

jjp007

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
TexASS
I really like the looks of this case but does anyone else wish the interior was all black to blend with the overall screen better?

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
What, it's not real leather?? They say it's real on their website... I'd be very surprised if a company like Marware would lie about something like that.

I don't care what they say, it doesn't look feel or smell like real leather.

The biggest indication to me that it is "fake" leather is its uniformity. It has a texture to it, but its not a natural texture. Mind you it could be made from the skins of cows, but the Marware's leather seems far more like pleather than any other leather item I own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.