Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keeganxt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I don't understand what's wrong with your guys' Eco Vues. The strap on mine holds the iPad so well in the case, that it was even a little hard to get it out when I put my SGP AF screen protector on it yesterday.

Can I ask how long you've had yours?

I have a feeling it's an age thing. I've had mine for 2 weeks now. At first the strap held it quite well and overall the whole case was pretty tight. But the leather stretches. It's pretty loose now and I can slide the iPad from side to side (portrait) about a 1/4 of an inch. But back to the strap, it's starting to slip out just by moving the case around. I constantly have to push it back in. And yes when flipped upside down or anywhere near, the iPad slides right out.

I'm thinking that a small patch of velcro near where the strap and the back cover meet but closer to the top of the case. That way you can still reach it to break it free and pull the iPad out.

That or put some more magnets in there to hold the strap in, lol.

d00m42

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Miami, FL
Can I ask how long you've had yours?

I have a feeling it's an age thing. I've had mine for 2 weeks now. At first the strap held it quite well and overall the whole case was pretty tight. But the leather stretches. It's pretty loose now and I can slide the iPad from side to side (portrait) about a 1/4 of an inch. But back to the strap, it's starting to slip out just by moving the case around. I constantly have to push it back in. And yes when flipped upside down or anywhere near, the iPad slides right out.

I'm thinking that a small patch of velcro near where the strap and the back cover meet but closer to the top of the case. That way you can still reach it to break it free and pull the iPad out.

That or put some more magnets in there to hold the strap in, lol.

Yeah, I mean I've had mine for 4 days now I think, but it's still fine and I use it often. At worst, I'll figure out a way to secure the strap (which won't be that hard). Velcro, magnets, some kind of adhesive... there are a lot of options there.

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
I just ordered mine this morning. For the folks mentioning that the strap becomes loose, there is a video on youtube of a gentleman who taped a piece of flexible plastic to the strap, which according to him adds enough surface tension to keep the ipad more secure.

It basically looks like the type of plastic you find on those damn heat sealed packagings.

Not the most elegant solution, but if I find that mine becomes loose also I will most likely try the same thing.

d00m42

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Miami, FL
I just ordered mine this morning. For the folks mentioning that the strap becomes loose, there is a video on youtube of a gentleman who taped a piece of flexible plastic to the strap, which according to him adds enough surface tension to keep the ipad more secure.

It basically looks like the type of plastic you find on those damn heat sealed packagings.

Not the most elegant solution, but if I find that mine becomes loose also I will most likely try the same thing.

Yeah, if mine becomes loose after another week or two, I'll test a bunch of different attachment methods, and post them in a video on YouTube.

Shiznitto

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Here is my solution. Actually I don't know if this isn't how they meant it to be. I am using the elastic strap to hold the ipad in place when the lid is open. When its closed I use the elastic strap to hold the folio closed. Pretty simple .. now if i can just find an easy way to remove the magnets .. good enough for now ..

Attachments

• IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    560.1 KB · Views: 87

jeff0468

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
Hi

I bought this on the advice of Leo Laporte --- now I am concerned about the magnets (did not know about this before buying) -- I have not opened -- 20% restocking fee from Amazon supplier --- do you think the magnets are a problem
Thanks

John Paul

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Washington DC
I just got mine in about 3-4 days ago. Just chiming in on a few of the issues that have been bandied about in this thread.

1. I find the fit is very tight. With the iPad in and the little strap covering it, I can turn the case upside down and shake it rather vigorously and the iPad doesn't even begin to slide out.

2. The magnets in the case definitely mess up the compass. You get an error message that pops up on the screen that tells you there is magnetic interference. However, I have not had any trouble with the GPS itself being able to locate me--the magnets definitely don't interfere with that. Whenever I activate the GPS, it nails my position down to within about 25' or maybe even less than that. Pretty impressive.

Overall the case has a great feel to it, I am really very pleased. I got mine on ebay for ~ $40 and consider it money well spent.

jeff0468

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
Hi

Would it be possible to remove the magnets .... it appears to be the underside of the flip up and therefore opening the fabric should not be a huge problem ..... or maybe I should sell on ebay

Thans

3GEE

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
I ordered this case last week from an e-bay supplier. It looks great and I should be probably getting it tomorrow in the mail. I paid $45.

I can't help but notice that the same supplier now has the same case for sale for $149. Nothing like supply and demand to set the price.

I'm very curious to hear the number of ipads sold as told at the June 07 conference, especially after the initial international release. Case suppliers are mostly all back-ordered and it's becoming difficult to even get one. Even the accessories cottage industry underestimated the success of this thing.

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
I was just reading this thread yesterday and thinking how I wasn't having any problems and the tab on mine seems to hold very well. I've had the case for one week.

Then today, my son was holding the iPad while in line at the truck rental store when it slipped out and fell onto a terrazzo floor. Thank goodness, the damage was only corner ding, but I think it could have been much worse.

I will certainly be looking at some options. I'm thinking of a simple press in snap. Heading to the craft store tomorrow to see what I can find.

M Powered

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
I love the design of the case, top loading is a great idea. Right now I have the incase convertible jacket, which I love and can't seem to find anything better.

A suggestion for those who have had the case loosening up. For my incase I just put a small velcro on the back of the ipad and that solves the sliding issue with some "modifications"

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
I recieved mine in the mail today and figured i would add my own thoughts. As others have mentioned the case feels well made, and expensive. Ive only had it for the day so i cannot comment on the tab becoming loose. I have a full body shield on my iPad that may help to prevent it sliding out anyway, as the iPad felt very snug sliding into the case.

One thing I will add is that the case does add a significant amount of weight. I looked it up online and saw someone mention that the Eco vue weighs a pound. Considering the iPad weighs 1.5 pounds a whole extra pound is rather significant. That being said I have not found it cumbersome to carry around or hold in the hand, but it's something to note for those interested in purchasing this.

Overall I'm very hay with it.

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
My Eco Vue is going back tomorrow. Marware decided to take it back without the original packaging. It's a nice case but the iPad doesn't stay in so it's going back.

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Oh, one other thing I forgot to add thats a little disappointing, marware doesnt ship the case in a case of it's own. It's covered in plastic and placed in a flat rate envelope.

My eco-vue has a crease in the leather on the cover, presumably from shipping.

Not a deal breaker for sure, but something I noticed.

ckr4282

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
Oh, one other thing I forgot to add thats a little disappointing, marware doesnt ship the case in a case of it's own. It's covered in plastic and placed in a flat rate envelope.

My eco-vue has a crease in the leather on the cover, presumably from shipping.

Not a deal breaker for sure, but something I noticed.

Really? Mine came in a retail box from Marware. Maybe it's because I didn't order it directly from them.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
I hate my Eco-Vue case

The strap has come loose and so has everything else. The iPad moves around and if I don't push it to the side it's hard to plug my charge/sync cable in. They should have used leather for the inside instead of this heavy felt, it won't last.

ckr4282

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
The strap has come loose and so has everything else. The iPad moves around and if I don't push it to the side it's hard to plug my charge/sync cable in. They should have used leather for the inside instead of this heavy felt, it won't last.

It could be worse--at least your bowels didn't become loose. :p

radiohed

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
I am buying the Marware Eco today. FYE stores are stocking iPad cases and have this one. My wife gets an employee discount so I only have to pay $38! :rolleyes: I checked the case out and like the quality and design more than the Apple case.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I have been testing out the marware eco-vue for a day now. It seems just "ok" to me. Offers plenty of protection and what not, but is fairly thick and covers the beauty of the ipad for sure. I am still debating about whether I want to keep it, but i hate those stupid cases with flip stands, kick out stands, flaps and crazy creases to let the case stand with the ipad in it. I think they look ugly...thats why I went for this marware. If there is another option out there with out these things- and if that case is basic and professional looking...I want it...

until then, This marware will protect my ipad plenty.

ckr4282

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
Anyone have any suggestions as to where one might be able to clip a stylus onto the case? I don't have my iPad yet, but if I stick my Pogo Sketch into the left-hand side of the iPad fitting along with the foam cut-out, it fits perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.