Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I received my order today. There is nothing to add to the other posts here. It is well-made in every way and as advertised.

However, I am still unable to get an answer on whether the magnets in the case causes permanent damage to the iPad, or whether it only causes temporary interference with compass functions.

Can anyone help on this?

d00m42

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Miami, FL
I received my order today. There is nothing to add to the other posts here. It is well-made in every way and as advertised.

However, I am still unable to get an answer on whether the magnets in the case causes permanent damage to the iPad, or whether it only causes temporary interference with compass functions.

Can anyone help on this?

The magnet interferes with the device's magnetometer (which is used for the compass), but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't cause long-term damage, as it isn't an extremely powerful magnet. I use a WiFi iPad anyway, so the compass isn't extremely important to me without GPS.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Would also love to know, if anyone has both could you test it and let us know please? :)

It might be possible, but it won't be pretty. I am too lazy to try this. I don't have the Belkin anymore, but I have the Switcheasy NUDE.

Watch out for the magnets!

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
I have had the Eco-Vue on my iPad since day one and I love this case. Also bought one for my wife. She is going to get my 32GB WIFI when my 64GB 3G gets here next week. I have not had an issue with the magnets on the WIFI model. Very Happy with it. :D

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I have had the Eco-Vue on my iPad since day one and I love this case. Also bought one for my wife. She is going to get my 32GB WIFI when my 64GB 3G gets here next week. I have not had an issue with the magnets on the WIFI model. Very Happy with it. :D

I like your avatar.

Pared3s

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
I called apple today to see if a case with a magnet in it would case harm to the iPad 3G. I also informed them that they i had an Marware Eco Vue case. After putting me on hold for one minute she said that it would not cause any damage to the digital compass of the iPad. She said that only a really strong magnet would cause damage to it and the ones used in cases would not harm the iPad 3G. She also mentioned that there have been cases for the iPhone that were also magnetic.

I spent a good deal yesterday researching this and I still have my doubts. I really like this case but it sucks that I have to remove it or have the case opened to reduce the interference. I'm thinking about cutting out the magnets. There appear to be two small circular ones. The flap itself isn't a magnet.

I also emailed Marware and told them my concerns and they were happy to give me a refund. I am debating on this but I don't really like the other cases out there.

Shiznitto

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Would also love to know, if anyone has both could you test it and let us know please? :)

I tried to put the iPad with belkin grip vue in to the marware Eco-vue and it wont fit. You might be able to jam it in there but I noticed the belkin grip vue start to bulge when i applied force.

email68

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Marware posted a promo code FBiPad10 for 10% off iPad cases is on their facebook page. Good till 5/27

Just an FYI

d00m42

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Miami, FL
Marware posted a promo code FBiPad10 for 10% off iPad cases is on their facebook page. Good till 5/27

Just an FYI

Ah damn, I ordered on Saturday...

One extra note for everyone, I was surprised at how quick, polite, and efficient their customer support is. I called today because I couldn't track my order, as I made my "Marware account" after I ordered and not beforehand. There were no tapes/recordings, and I was on hold for maybe 30 seconds as the representative looked up my order number to provide me with the tracking info. Since I live 20 miles away from their headquarters, hopefully I'll get my case tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

I'm also waiting for an SGP anti-glare screen protector from eBay, as the seller messed up my original order and I never received it (because of the screw-up on their part, they refunded $10 of the $20 I paid). I know the Powersupport one is supposed to be clearer, but I ordered before I even saw any comparisons. I'm sure it will be fine.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I tried to put the iPad with belkin grip vue in to the marware Eco-vue and it wont fit. You might be able to jam it in there but I noticed the belkin grip vue start to bulge when i applied force.

Dang, I really really wanted to run this setup after I dropped my ipad in the eco-vue and it dented the side of it pretty bad.

Shiznitto

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Dang, I really really wanted to run this setup after I dropped my ipad in the eco-vue and it dented the side of it pretty bad.

I am starting to distrust/unlike this case. Everything about it is great other than the top strap that holds it in. I can even overlook the magnet issue. Yesterday I received my Power Support Anti-glare film and it adds a slight slickness to the front of the ipad. Now if I turn the case upside down the ipad slides right out. The top strap has no chance of holding it in anymore. Trying to think of another way to add some friction to stop this from happening.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I am starting to distrust/unlike this case. Everything about it is great other than the top strap that holds it in. I can even overlook the magnet issue. Yesterday I received my Power Support Anti-glare film and it adds a slight slickness to the front of the ipad. Now if I turn the case upside down the ipad slides right out. The top strap has no chance of holding it in anymore. Trying to think of another way to add some friction to stop this from happening.

I returned it this morning.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California

A Velcro square between the strap and the case back might help...

d00m42

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Miami, FL
Returned one as well a few weeks back - it literally doubled the size of my ipad.

I got mine today.

It doesn't quite double it, but it makes it fairly thicker (which isn't a problem in my opinion, as it's still pretty thin). This case suits my needs PERFECTLY. I can stand it up at a slight angle for typing, it protects my iPad if I throw it in a bag with other items, and it looks and feels very high-quality and sturdy. For $7 more than the Apple case, I get a nice, real leather case that really don't have any huge problems so far. The magnet issue doesn't really affect me much, as 1, I use a WiFi only iPad, and so I don't rely on Maps/Compass much, and 2, I use my iPad primarily for reading books, reading the news, browsing the web, playing games, and watching movies - none of which require the compass.

As for the leather strap, it has held my iPad securely in the case so far. At the worst, I'll just figure out a way to secure the strap in its position once it's tucked behind the iPad. There are a number of ways I could imagine doing this without being able to tell, and so it's not a huge flaw to me (although I would have designed it differently).

I really do recommend this case, as well as Marware in general (they have good customer support and shipped fast).

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
The solution is not to drop the device, but I know that's hard sometimes.

Well, right, but that's why we have seat belts and bulletproof vests :)

At any rate, I still like my Marware, and today I was able to score a $29 Belkin Grip-Vue from Fry's and squeezed (barely) the ipad + belkin into the Marware. It's a super tight fit, but this is what the Marware Eco-Vue SHOULD HAVE BEEN.
:apple:

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
So I've been using this case on and off for a little while now rotating between this one and my PDair case. At first the case was great because the strap at the top held the iPad in and all the functions were great. Now the strap doesn't hold it at all, I can turn it upside down and the iPad slides right out! I want to return it but their return policy states that it has to be in it's original packaging which is impossible if you want to try it out. If you haven't received or opened this case yet I recommend you return it and get the PDair or another case instead.

d00m42

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Miami, FL
So I've been using this case on and off for a little while now rotating between this one and my PDair case. At first the case was great because the strap at the top held the iPad in and all the functions were great. Now the strap doesn't hold it at all, I can turn it upside down and the iPad slides right out! I want to return it but their return policy states that it has to be in it's original packaging which is impossible if you want to try it out. If you haven't received or opened this case yet I recommend you return it and get the PDair or another case instead.

I don't understand what's wrong with your guys' Eco Vues. The strap on mine holds the iPad so well in the case, that it was even a little hard to get it out when I put my SGP AF screen protector on it yesterday.

By the way, the SGP is fine in terms of quality. I know some people were comparing it and say that the PS is better, but the SGP really isn't bad at all. I have some dust under the screen protector, but I removed all air bubbles. The little bit of dust that's left isn't visible when the screen is on anyway, at any brightness level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.