Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I’ll just mention that I’ve used a 13” MBP charger on my work 15” MBP when working from home. Full 8 hours and no battery drain in clamshell mode.

As already stated, 96W is to have headroom for charging the battery while under full load. If you already have a dock, use it until something better comes out, IMO.

EDIT: Or in another way: the max sustained load through the CPU/GPU is currently expected to be about 62W. The maximum charge power is a bit over 50W. An 85W supply will *not* recharge your laptop as fast as the 96W *when under load*, but it will handle either heavy loads *or* charging well enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dovahkiing

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
I use a 15" on a 60 watt (OWC) dock, which is 25 watts underpowered, while an 85W dock on a 96W computer is only 11 watts under - it NEVER drains the battery. It charges UNLESS I'm doing something really intense (say a massive photo export), when it holds steady.

Someone mentioned using a >100W adapter with a passthrough dock. That probably won't work, because there's no such thing as a true >100W USB-C adapter. 100W is the highest power specified by USB-C Power Delivery. That doesn't mean that there isn't some gaming laptop out there somewhere that pulls 130W through a USB-C connector. If there is, it's not only using an extra-powerful adapter, but also a nonstandard signal between the computer and the adapter to negotiate the extra power - but that would make it a "USB-C" adapter, not true USB-C. The dock wouldn't know that signal if it were actually USB-C compliant (if it were the same brand as an overpowered laptop, it could also use the extra signal).

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The Lenovo X1 Extreme comes with a 135W power supply from the factory, so it has a proprietary charger tip. For docking, what they do is have a custom charging cord that has that proprietary charger tip and a usb-c/TB3 tip side by side and a huge I think 235W power brick for the entire setup.

I’m sure that Apple designed the 16” MBP to peak at 96W very intentionally to allow them to stay within the usb-c power delivery spec.

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I use a 15" on a 60 watt (OWC) dock, which is 25 watts underpowered, while an 85W dock on a 96W computer is only 11 watts under - it NEVER drains the battery. It charges UNLESS I'm doing something really intense (say a massive photo export), when it holds steady.
So we could probably just use it? I mean, as long as i'm sure it can't do any harm. That's my main concern.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Absolutely won't hurt anything. Just keep an eye on your battery if doing anything processor intensive for an extended period of time (like exporting or rendering video).

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
I use iStat menus to see current wattage. My current 2016 draws 5-6 Watt when idling. It is rare to se it go beyond 20 Watt. So with the Caldigit, which I own, I see no cause for concern. If your MBP is discharged it will just take slightly longer to charge.

I guess Apple has a target for how long it should take to charge the battery and they increased charger power when they increased battery capacity to keep charging time the same.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
If you guys are looking for a 100watt USB-C Charger for passthrough, Wacom makes one for their MobileStudio Pro. Based on Amazon reviews, many people use it for other computers, like Surface Book 2 and Lenovo X1 Extreme. Does that make it true 100 watts, I don’t know.

Wacom Power Adapter, USB-C 100W (ACK42714) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074HDZ3QP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qoRZDb5EMT6SV

J5Create has a USB-C dock or USB-C monitor stand that will do 100 watt passthrough, but I don’t know how good they are for monitor support, they seem to always mention up to 4K at 30hz for DisplayPort and HDMI, which sounds terrible. Best Buy has them.

Reactions: arn

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Apple includes a 96W power adapter in the box. I'd suggest to purchase another one of those over the Wacom, unless it's a specific need.

The majority of passthrough docks with USB-C PD functions will take ~15W for the dock itself. With a ~100W power adapter this leaves ~85W for the MBP itself. This 85W is the same as some of the highly rated docking solutions, like the CalDigit TS3 Plus.

You would need ~115W USB-C charger to provide ~100W PD via passthrough with those docks. I believe this is out of spec (100W limit for USB-C) and does not exist.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Zendure has a very, very nice 100W charger (the SuperPort) - 100W off the main USB-C port, plus extra power to a 18W USB-C port and two USB-A ports. Beautifully built, and while not cheap at $129 (often on sale below that), no high-quality 100W adapter is going to be cheap. Total power is 136W, so you can't get full speed out of all four ports simultaneously - but once you're charging your MBP on the big port, plus your phone, plus your iPad, the fourth device is probably something low-power anyway... Not many people have four quick-charge devices...

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
The Zendure SuperPort 4 looks like it's "just" a wall adapter charger for four devices without offering any hub or docking style capabilities. Am I missing something?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Apple includes a 96W power adapter in the box. I'd suggest to purchase another one of those over the Wacom, unless it's a specific need.

The majority of passthrough docks with USB-C PD functions will take ~15W for the dock itself. With a ~100W power adapter this leaves ~85W for the MBP itself. This 85W is the same as some of the highly rated docking solutions, like the CalDigit TS3 Plus.

You would need ~115W USB-C charger to provide ~100W PD via passthrough with those docks. I believe this is out of spec (100W limit for USB-C) and does not exist.

The dock itself is not subject to the 100W limit of the usb-c spec. In fact most docks use a proprietary power brick that’s quite large. For example the power adapter included with my Caldigit TS3+ is 180W. The usb-c power delivery spec only applies to the output to the computer, so I’m not sure why the vast majority of these docks are limited to 85W, but I’m betting there is a pretty good technical reason for it.

Reactions: arn

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
TB3 docks function differently than USB-C docks. Hoping a solution with TB3 may exist in the future for a TS3 Plus like dock.

Nearly every single USB-C dock I've seen provides 85W passthrough PD when paired with a 100W USB-C power source. The USB-C docks themselves take 15W to power. My understanding is the USB-C spec is limited to 100W sources, so this is likely the maximum PD that can be delivered through a USB-C dock.

FWIW, CalDigit is working on figuring out a solution for MBP 16" with 96W. Who knows if or when it will be available. If purchasing the MBP 16" in the next few weeks, I'll likely pickup a TS3 Plus and supplement power if/when needed.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
CalDigit is working on creating a firmware update for the TS3 Plus to support the MBP 16" and meet the power requirements.

Reactions: RyanXM

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
TB3 docks function differently than USB-C docks. Hoping a solution with TB3 may exist in the future for a TS3 Plus like dock.

Nearly every single USB-C dock I've seen provides 85W passthrough PD when paired with a 100W USB-C power source. The USB-C docks themselves take 15W to power. My understanding is the USB-C spec is limited to 100W sources, so this is likely the maximum PD that can be delivered through a USB-C dock.

FWIW, CalDigit is working on figuring out a solution for MBP 16" with 96W. Who knows if or when it will be available. If purchasing the MBP 16" in the next few weeks, I'll likely pickup a TS3 Plus and supplement power if/when needed.

It looks like you are confusing a Hub with a Dock. A Hub will typically be connected directly to your laptop, with usb-c power delivery passed-through, using up to 15w for the hub as you describe.

A Dock is typically a stand-alone device that comes with its own (non usb-c) power supply. Take the Dell D6000 for example. It comes with a stand-alone 130w power supply. Power feeds to the Supply directly, which then outputs power over USB-C to the connected computer. That USB-C port in theory has the full 100w of the spec available to it as the dock is powered separately. https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-universal-dock-d6000/apd/452-bcyt/pc-accessories

Not sure why these are generally limited to 65 or 85w, but I suspect it’s because the easily available parts are spec’ed that way, and until recently there hasn’t been a lot of demand for anything greater.

Reactions: Mojo1019

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Started this thread seeking a DOCK with a one cable solution (that had it's own PSU) to provide port expansion for devices and monitor(s). Hubs/Docks via USB-C were suggested, stating passthrough PD was sufficient. This is not the case.

Once the firmware update is released, it looks like the TS3 Plus will be the only solution available to provide 96W power for the MBP 16".

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Started this thread seeking a DOCK with a one cable solution (that had it's own PSU) to provide port expansion for devices and monitor(s). Hubs/Docks via USB-C were suggested, stating passthrough PD was sufficient. This is not the case.

Once the firmware update is released, it looks like the TS3 Plus will be the only solution available to provide 96W power for the MBP 16".

The vast majority of what has been suggested here are DOCKS, not hubs, and do NOT do pass-through charging - although they may still be limited to 85W or less.

You could use the TS3+ today as a single-cable solution. With 85W you would have to have your screen at max brightness, the CPU and GPU both at 100%, AND want the battery to simultaneously charge at its maximum rate to see any difference between that and the included 96W supply. The dock itself and any connected peripherals are powered by the included 180W power adapter.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Thanks for your opinion. As it stands currently, CalDigit support says supplemental power is required with the TS3 Plus for MBP 16" until a firmware update is made available. I'll trust they know the power limitations of their product.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Thanks for your opinion. As it stands currently, CalDigit support says supplemental power is required with the TS3 Plus for MBP 16" until a firmware update is made available. I'll trust they know the power limitations of their product.

CalDigit has to say that because they have to protect themselves from claims like yours that it’s ‘not totally compatible’ and whatnot if they say otherwise. This thread, and this forum in general, is filled with real-world examples of people using these slightly under-powered docks with their existing MBP’s with no problem. Heck, I’ve been charging my 12” MacBook from a 10W usb-c integrated wall outlet for years. Works fine if I accept that the battery will just charge slower.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Happy to hear your personal experiences with lower wattage chargers working fine with your Apple USB-C capable products. I personally have had different experiences with my usage in the past and am seeking solutions that (at minimum) meet Apple's own 96W power adapter performance.

Taxing CPU and GPU(s) during long or overnight renders with an underpowered PSU and simultaneously draining the battery to "make up the difference" is hardly what I would call 100% compatible. At least CalDigit will be addressing this with a firmware update for the TS3 Plus in the (hopefully near) future. They are the only manufacturer so far to even acknowledge it's an issue.

Reactions: cool11

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Happy to hear your personal experiences with lower wattage chargers working fine with your Apple USB-C capable products. I personally have had different experiences with my usage in the past and am seeking solutions that (at minimum) meet Apple's own 96W power adapter performance.

Taxing CPU and GPU(s) during long or overnight renders with an underpowered PSU and simultaneously draining the battery to "make up the difference" is hardly what I would call 100% compatible. At least CalDigit will be addressing this with a firmware update for the TS3 Plus in the (hopefully near) future. They are the only manufacturer so far to even acknowledge it's an issue.

You would not be simultaneously draining the battery - it would simply CHARGE the battery at a slightly slower rate for a small part of the charge cycle where the charge rate is at its highest.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
I experienced what happens when you run out of battery while undercharging your MacBook with power from monitor. The performance switched to something like a 486. Took me about 15 minutes just to shut everything down and reboot, when I finally realized my battery was fully discharged. Was a bit of a nightmare as I use the MacBook for day trading.

The new Apple Pro XDR’s support 96W.

Reactions: bsbeamer

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
The Zendure is just a very powerful quad charger/adapter (no hub/dock) - I was suggesting it for people looking to do passthrough, because it provides extra power to its additional ports. If you use an Apple (or Wacom)adapter for passthrough. then hook a phone up to one of the ports on the hub, the phone's power comes off of the 96W budget. If you hook up the phone to one of the extra ports on the Zendure, that's not coming out of the main port's budget. Closest thing I know of to a true >100W USB Power Delivery adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.