Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Silverjerk

macrumors member
May 7, 2015
Is it better to hold off the purchase and see how the TS3 Plus behaves after the firmware update?
[automerge]1574222984[/automerge]

They mentioned that there is no plan to have a newer version of the dock but they are working on firmware update. Is it better to hold off the purchase and see how it behaves under the new firmware?

That would be my suggestion. It is very likely they can fix the power delivery issue, and that might also clear up the myriad issues I and some other users have experienced with various connected devices. As someone that's gone through several $200-300+ docks to find the right solution, I sincerely hope Caldigit delivers on their promise here, as the TS3+ has been the first dock I've found that works well for my use cases.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Someone to check the specs of this one, to tell me that it seems suitable for the new mbp 16'?

A check on this please?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
HI guys, what about this Dell thunderbolt 3 dock (WD19TB) which claims a 130 W power delivery:

That’s a custom implementation for certain Dell laptops.

”Up to 90w for non-Dell systems.”

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012

If this is accurate info from CalDigit, it’s a change in approach from 3-4 days ago. They were working on enabling full 96W/100W via firmware, in addition to addressing issues.

Officially they were (are still?) saying to use TS3+ with Apple’s included 96W charger.

I’m still looking for a true one cable solution that provides 96W/100W with dock for display, USB, audio, etc.

jd00

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019

Thanks for pointing that out. Here is a more complete list and comparison of choices for thunderbolt 3 docks, in particular on power delivery:

There are probably a few which are able to provide up to 100W power. But their compatibility with MBPs has not been tested extensively - apparently individual use cases have been reported (e.g. HP G2 and this Dell WD19TB). Most of them are actually made for Windows and/or specific laptop models and no support for Mac OS is officially claimed.

That said, it may still be the safest option to wait for the firmware update of CalDigit TS3+. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
If this is accurate info from CalDigit, it’s a change in approach from 3-4 days ago. They were working on enabling full 96W/100W via firmware, in addition to addressing issues.

Officially they were (are still?) saying to use TS3+ with Apple’s included 96W charger.

I’m still looking for a true one cable solution that provides 96W/100W with dock for display, USB, audio, etc.

If I recall correctly, they mentioned that somebody at Apple Store tried to charge the 16" with another brand's charger of 85W and it worked. So, they expect that theirs should work also. They mentioned about upgrading the firmware but no plan to release a new product. So I hesitate to buy now.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
If I recall correctly, they mentioned that somebody at Apple Store tried to charge the 16" with another brand's charger of 85W and it worked. So, they expect that theirs should work also. They mentioned about upgrading the firmware but no plan to release a new product. So I hesitate to buy now.

As with ALL USB-C chargers, they will charge the MBP 16 without an issue (usually). Slower than Apple's own 96W charger, and that's fine for a lot of people.

The total wattage and under wattage is an issue for some people. Not everyone's workflow is impacted by this, but those that basically need to run off plugin power for "intense" usage (and not use or rely on the internal battery) need the full 96W/100W. That is why CalDigit originally said to use both the TS3+ and Apple's 96W charger at the same time.

Not everyone runs an MBP on battery some or even most of the time. And many people here do not realize this. Those that are leaving video renders with intense GPU, CPU and RAM being maxed out aren't going to rely on an 85W or less power source. Personally would be shocked if the battery could even last 2 hours when under maximum load in those situations.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

I suspect the only true compatible solution will be when the TS4+ comes out.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012

Originally, that is not what CalDigit had stated. They said power delivery 85/87W > 96/100W would be possible with firmware update for TS3 Plus and were working on it.

Personally do not believe their USB-C Pro Dock option would be able to get beyond 87W without a new model and am not even considering that as an option at this time.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Originally, that is not what CalDigit had stated. They said power delivery 85/87W > 96/100W would be possible with firmware update for TS3 Plus and were working on it.

Personally do not believe their USB-C Pro Dock option would be able to get beyond 87W without a new model and am not even considering that as an option at this time.

I use the Belkin TB3 dock. Not as many ports as the Caldigit, but the Belkin has always been reliable. However, there is little chance they will update it, as I have never seen a firmware update from Belkin. But if Caldigit can pull off 96w with just a firmware update, I would get it.

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007

I asked them two times already. They said that at the moment, they have no plan to make a new version of the TS3+. I hope they will change their plan and bring back a new version with a silver case. Space Gray is not my cup of tea.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
How about this dock?

"The dock itself requires 1.5W of power to operate. The dock draws between 5W and 15W of power, depending on the devices connected. If the connected devices require more power than is available, one or more of these devices may not function as expected while on bus power. When connected to an AC power adapter, each USB Type-A port can deliver up to 12W of power. Any power not used by the dock, inserted cards, and connected peripherals, is passed to the host computer for battery charging, if applicable."

You'll need a 100W+ USB-C power source to passthrough 96W power. My understanding is the USB-C power sources MAX at 100W per spec.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
This Lenovo one might do the trick. Says “230 Charging” .... but that seems like it might not be accurate.

Already looked at it, will not work.
Included cable is custom: "Thunderbolt and Power customized cable"

"up to 230W to charge high-performance ThinkPad Mobile Workstations"
AC Plug: slim tip
Hardware Requirements: ThinkPad
OS Requirements: Win10

40AN0230US-main-v3.JPG

Reactions: MobileMikeV

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
While waiting for these manufacturers to sort out the power related issue, if I only want to use usb device and connect to an external 4K HDR TV or a projector at school, is my best bet to get these two items?

Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter
Apple USB-C to USB Adapter

The Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter seems to support only 4K at 30 Hz.

jd00

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
While waiting for these manufacturers to sort out the power related issue, if I only want to use usb device and connect to an external 4K HDR TV or a projector at school, is my best bet to get these two items?

Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter
Apple USB-C to USB Adapter

The Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter seems to support only 4K at 30 Hz.

The current version of the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter does support 4K at 60 Hz.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207806

Reactions: hajime

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
I couldn't find any numbers regarding charging, for example, what's the max wattage can the adapter pass through, any ideas?
I believe it’s limited to 60w. Can’t find fact sheet to back this up but I did read it somewhere.

==

Update: Q&A on Apples Website. Not sure if this changes in the newer version.

Does it support full 87 Watt pass-through charging?
Answer
I’m getting only 55 watts. I noticed this when my MacBook Pro 15 2018 starts to drain the battery being connected to the original charger throuh the adapter. I looked in the iStat app the power source abd it shows 55W. Connected directly shows the full 86W and never drains the battery.

Last edited:

andrewpsy

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
The closest answer I can find is this one:
https://www.apple.com/au/shop/quest...7-watt-passthrough-charging/QAYC74TXYPFJAHHX4
55W charging power sounds reasonable to me though, for its price and size.

I believe it’s limited to 60w. Can’t find fact sheet to back this up but I did read it somewhere.

Thanks. I will stick with the stock charger and use the adapter only as a hub.
Looking forward to hear from CalDigit about the firmware patch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.