Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Reactions: cool11

Silverjerk

macrumors member
May 7, 2015
It would be nice if Caldigit finds a way to give 96 watts to th TS3+ with a firmware update, but really, even of they don't, I have no problem connecting external power. It's not like connecting two Thunderbolt cables instead of one is so back breaking.

It's not an issue of whether it's more or less convenient. The issue is that this is one of the main draws of the device: a single cable docking solution with power delivery. So while other users may have purchased additional adapters or found other viable solutions that work for them, the reality is that you could simply buy a much less expensive (or even multiple) USB-C hub(s) to achieve the same connectivity as you would with the TS3+. Without power delivery, it loses a lot of its value (both objectively, and subjectively).

veritech137

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
That update should actually apply universally to nearly all USB-C dock solutions since the majority use DisplayLink drivers.

So I got my 16in a couple hours ago and it's hooked up to the Targus dock. After migrating, I just had to re-allow some of the Displaylink settings in Security/Privacy to get my monitors back online.

I went into System Report it says the AC Charger is putting out 100W. So far so good.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapple

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2019
So I got my 16in a couple hours ago and it's hooked up to the Targus dock. After migrating, I just had to re-allow some of the Displaylink settings in Security/Privacy to get my monitors back online.

I went into System Report it says the AC Charger is putting out 100W. So far so good.

Would you mind send me the link of the targus dock you are using? And can you tell us more about the using experience? Thank you!

veritech137

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Would you mind send me the link of the targus dock you are using? And can you tell us more about the using experience? Thank you!

https://us.targus.com/products/usb-...ng-station-100-watt-power-delivery-dock570usz

This is it. It looks like it was just released, since it was announced last summer as a new product for fall. I think they also have a version for just 2 externals. I've only gotten about 90 minutes of seat time with it on my 16in, so I haven't gotten enough time to really know how it is. But the setup is really easy. You connect power to the box and connect the usb-c cable to the MacBook. Targus has in the instructions to go to DisplayLink's site to get the installer. You run the installer and there are two security exceptions you need to make when prompted. The laptop reboots and it's done.

Everything seems to work well. My 4K monitors appear as they should, my laptop is reporting that it's getting the correct power, and it even played well with my 2008 iMac keyboard and mouse that I still use. I haven't tried anything more yet though.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapple

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2019
https://us.targus.com/products/usb-...ng-station-100-watt-power-delivery-dock570usz

This is it. It looks like it was just released, since it was announced last summer as a new product for fall. I think they also have a version for just 2 externals. I've only gotten about 90 minutes of seat time with it on my 16in, so I haven't gotten enough time to really know how it is. But the setup is really easy. You connect power to the box and connect the usb-c cable to the MacBook. Targus has in the instructions to go to DisplayLink's site to get the installer. You run the installer and there are two security exceptions you need to make when prompted. The laptop reboots and it's done.

Everything seems to work well. My 4K monitors appear as they should, my laptop is reporting that it's getting the correct power, and it even played well with my 2008 iMac keyboard and mouse that I still use. I haven't tried anything more yet though.

WOW, thank you for your reviewing!

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD

Does it work in clamshell mode with multiple 4K displays? I got a CalDigit TS3+ based off reviews and it doesn’t work with my 16” (not even factoring in the power). I have no problem returning it and getting the Targus if it’ll meet my needs immediately.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Does it work in clamshell mode with multiple 4K displays? I got a CalDigit TS3+ based off reviews and it doesn’t work with my 16” (not even factoring in the power). I have no problem returning it and getting the Targus if it’ll meet my needs immediately.

Last year and the year before, they recommended to use the 0.7m cable due to some issues. When I asked them last week, they said that if I use the Mac (regardless of running Mac OS or Windows or Linux), 2.0m cable is fine. What is the length of your cable? Maybe you can try the shorter one and see how it goes?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Believe the previous recommendation was before the longer 40Gbps cables were available. Regardless, it is important to make sure your cable is 40Gbps rated for all dock functionality to properly work.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I'm using the CalDigit USB-C Pro Dock (Link to their product page).

Works great. Charges the laptop just fine. Sure it's 85 Watt, but unless you're playing a really intensive game or rendering out video I think this is supplying enough juice for the entire laptop to charge and stay charged. I'm connecting a 4K monitor to it (Display Port @ 60Hz, full 4K res) and 1Gb ethernet both of which are also working perfectly fine.

For anyone curious the ethernet chip used is a Realtek one. Performance is high 980Mb/s or so in my testing.

Silverjerk

macrumors member
May 7, 2015
Last year and the year before, they recommended to use the 0.7m cable due to some issues. When I asked them last week, they said that if I use the Mac (regardless of running Mac OS or Windows or Linux), 2.0m cable is fine. What is the length of your cable? Maybe you can try the shorter one and see how it goes?

Caldigit sells an "active" TS3 2.0m cable that operates the same as the 0.7m cable that comes in the box. I own the 2.0m active cable and can confirm it works as advertised at 40gb/s (many of the other TS3 cables only operate at half that spec, which is perhaps where many users are running into issues).

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Caldigit sells an "active" TS3 2.0m cable that operates the same as the 0.7m cable that comes in the box. I own the 2.0m active cable and can confirm it works as advertised at 40gb/s (many of the other TS3 cables only operate at half that spec, which is perhaps where many users are running into issues).

Thanks. They mentioned that their longer 2.0m cable has problems with non-Mac machines.

SamwiseC

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2019
I bought a Dell WD19TB docking station for my 16" MacBook Pro - I saw that it delivers 130W of power but didn't spot that that is only for Dell devices, and non-Dell devices get 90W.

It'll have to be returned, because I have seen the CPU become underclocked and the battery drain while running a build.

The laptop has the 2.4GHz i9 processor that (allegedly) boosts up to 5GHz. During testing I saw a max speed of 3.9GHz when running on the 90W of power, with the battery draining 1-2% over fifteen minutes. When plugged into the 96W Apple power brick, the CPU ran at a max of 4.1GHz while pegged, and the battery recharged.

The CPU speed decrease isn't a huge concern - it's more the wear and tear of the battery being drained and charged during a build.

It looks like I'll have to wait it out until new docking stations become available, hopefully in the new year.

Reactions: andrewpsy

veritech137

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009

Sorry for the delay. Yes, it worked in clamshell mode with two 4k displays.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Sorry for the delay. Yes, it worked in clamshell mode with two 4k displays.

Oh man, great to hear. Apologies if you answered this already, but what GPU do you have? I think that's part of the sleep problem a lot of folks are having. (I can't clamshell with 2 4K screens without a dock, just straight into the MBP). It sounds like it might be a driver issue. I'd be willing to give this Targus dock a shot though.

veritech137

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Oh man, great to hear. Apologies if you answered this already, but what GPU do you have? I think that's part of the sleep problem a lot of folks are having. (I can't clamshell with 2 4K screens without a dock, just straight into the MBP). It sounds like it might be a driver issue. I'd be willing to give this Targus dock a shot though.

No, I didn't mention GPU earlier. Mine has the 5500M 8GB. I'll do another test tonight and post a pic or something showing the screens and laptop clamshelled.

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness
I ordered this USB C Hub AUKEY 8 in 1 USB Type C Hub with Ethernet Port, 4K USB C to HDMI, 3 USB 3.0 Ports, 100W USB C Power Delivery Charging, SD/TF Card Reader for MacBook Pro Air, Chromebook Pixel Laptops, Phones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z7H3GJK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CI90Db7E0YNNH
Give some feedback here when you receive it.
So far so good. Seems well made, used Ethernet and output to a 1080p Dell monitor via HDMI. Between that and AUKEY USB C Adapters, bases are covered. I think the little adapters are crucial in case you forget the dock. You can put them on semi permanently on whatever USB A peripheral you have and frequently use. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AUKU1OO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FYb2Db2Q31XPF

I just got this (AUKEY CB-C71) and it *only supplies 60W, not the 100W passthrough advertised*.

You can confirm by checking About This Mac > System Report > Power > AC Charger Information. Only supplies 60W.

Even under moderate load of my new 16-inch, the battery won't charge when plugged in through the hub. Charges fine when plugged in directly under same load.

I updated the OP wiki to reflect this.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I just got this (AUKEY CB-C71) and it *only supplies 60W, not the 100W passthrough advertised*.

You can confirm by checking About This Mac > System Report > Power > AC Charger Information. Only supplies 60W.

Even under moderate load of my new 16-inch, the battery won't charge when plugged in through the hub. Charges fine when plugged in directly under same load.

I updated the OP wiki to reflect this.

This seems to be suitable, don't you think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUKEY-USB-...PKt80Wg37w%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

veritech137

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009

Attachments

• 993F1D6C-24B2-41B2-B88F-90EB8FF523E4.jpeg
    993F1D6C-24B2-41B2-B88F-90EB8FF523E4.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 368
Reactions: andrewpsy

veritech137

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Just to 100% confirm for the first post Wiki, this Targus DOCK190USZ dock provides 100W power in MBP16" in macOS when in use?

System report shows 100W. Dang, I meant to get that in the video, but forgot to grab a shot of it when I started shooting. I'll snag another when I get home in a couple hours, just for good measure.

Reactions: bsbeamer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.