Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
The 2 port version has been sold out for awhile and seem to be only available from some random third party resellers right now. Mostly in the "used" style market from individuals vs. retail. Will be keeping an eye on these two and any updates from CalDigit on the TS3 Plus firmware.

$300 DOCK190USZ (2 port version):
https://us.targus.com/products/usb-c-universal-dv4k-docking-station-with-100w-power-dock190usz

$400 DOCK570USZ (4 port version):
https://us.targus.com/products/usb-...ng-station-100-watt-power-delivery-dock570usz

veritech137

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Just looking from the Targus page, I think the 2 port version will work since they appear to have the same specs except for number of ports. However, can't say for sure.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Wow... thanks for pointing out that Targus dock. I'm very tempted ... been waiting since 2016 for a "perfect" docking solution for MBPs... typically they don't have enough ports, are buggy, don't deliver full bandwidth to <something>, don't provide enough power delivery, etc. This looks like the ultimate super dock! Now ... that whole money thing. $370 on Amazon... and I would need two (one for home, one for work)... let the justification process begin!

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
There are very mixed reviews of the 2-port version with macOS. Some saying just one monitor port and the main USB hub works. Not the second DP port, or the upstream USB, or the ethernet.

Unsure if this is an issue that led to returns, or if Targus addressed in some fashion and that is part of why they are not currently available. I'd personally wait for new units to be released.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Something to note on these Targus docks: They appear to use displayLink technology, so would need to make sure you have latest displayLink drivers from displaylink.com (and keep them updated). I believe they just released a new version with Catalina support.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
There are very mixed reviews of the 2-port version with macOS. Some saying just one monitor port and the main USB hub works. Not the second DP port, or the upstream USB, or the ethernet.

Unsure if this is an issue that led to returns, or if Targus addressed in some fashion and that is part of why they are not currently available. I'd personally wait for new units to be released.
Ugh. Don’t want that headache. I’ll cancel that amazon order and just wait things out. Thanks. Should’ve researched before jumping the gun.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012

Where are you seeing reviews for these models? I'm having problems finding any useful reviews on this particular model (DOCK190USZ) ... there aren't many for the four display either. I'm no search ninja though. Can you link some of them? Thanks!!

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Where are you seeing reviews for these models? I'm having problems finding any useful reviews on this particular model (DOCK190USZ) ... there aren't many for the four display either. I'm no search ninja though. Can you link some of them? Thanks!!

A lot here, mostly PC-based though:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BPQKP8V/
https://www.staples.com/targus-dv4k-universal-docking-station-dock190usz/product_24402505

One of the few retailers with stock available to ship:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-USB-C-Universal-DV4K-Docking-Station-with-100W-Power/261565751

veritech137

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009

Me too. On Amazon, it looks like they've lumped reviews for all docks into one section and there are some showing up for as far back as 2013.
[automerge]1574869738[/automerge]

Looks like staples is doing the same thing as Amazon. The Staples reviews are from 2018 and before. And this dock I believe was released in Sept of this year.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Me too. On Amazon, it looks like they've lumped reviews for all docks into one section and there are some showing up for as far back as 2013.
[automerge]1574869738[/automerge]

Looks like staples is doing the same thing as Amazon. The Staples reviews are from 2018 and before. And this dock I believe was released in Sept of this year.

Right... only two reviews for the DOCK190USZ, no reviews for the four port model. The 400 other reviews are for various other versions.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I find it odd that people are unwilling to choose a Thunderbolt dock that is 10w or so underpowered, instead choosing a dock that relies entirely on DisplayLink which is notoriously mediocre if not outright buggy at times...

The CalDigit TS3 Plus is a Thunderbolt 3 dock and personally hoping this will be my all in one solution moving forward. CalDigit is saying a firmware update before the end of year will address 96W/100W power. Will update the Wiki with any additional information I receive from their support.

sevenout

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Orangevale, CA, USA
I'm interested in the Targus dock because I currently have a 3 monitor setup on my Windows Laptop. I just got the new MBP16 and plan to do the same. Apple indicates on their website that no more than 2 monitors should be connected to each of the TB3 busses (the MBP has two TB3 busses - one on each side). How can the Targus dock with 4 display connections work when connected to a single TB3 port/bus?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Apple indicates on their website that no more than 2 monitors should be connected to each of the TB3 busses (the MBP has two TB3 busses - one on each side)

Where are you finding this for MBP 16" 2019?

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 11.59.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 11.59.40 AM.png

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
I kind of doubt this is possible. The TS3+ is rated at 85W. If only a FW upgrade could get it up to 100W that would mean power components would already have to have been dimensioned for 100W, in that case why not rate it at 100W. A FW tweak that would give a few Watt more maybe, but 15 W seems like it would need different HW.

Also worth noting that CalDigit currently does not offer any firmware for the TS3+ on their website, only Mac drivers. Of course that does not mean it could not be FW upgradeable, but so far that is nothing CalDigit has offered.

CalDigit is saying a firmware update before the end of year will address 96W/100W power.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I kind of doubt this is possible. The TS3+ is rated at 85W. If only a FW upgrade could get it up to 100W that would mean power components would already have to have been dimensioned for 100W, in that case why not rate it at 100W. A FW tweak that would give a few Watt more maybe, but 15 W seems like it would need different HW.

Also worth noting that CalDigit currently does not offer any firmware for the TS3+ on their website, only Mac drivers. Of course that does not mean it could not be FW upgradeable, but so far that is nothing CalDigit has offered.

CalDigit is claiming they can do this. Will leave it to them to determine. They only shipped with 85W compatibility because that is what MBP's maxed out at previously. Their products are tailored to Apple/MBP with additional support as an added bonus.

The TS3 Plus has a 20V/9A DC input from their PSU, so it should be possible (at least theoretically) to provide up to 180W total for the device ports and USB-C PD/TB3. Even at 80W for device power and ports, would leave 100W for USB-C PD/TB3.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Even if Caldigit can't provided the full 96/100 watts, I still like it, it is working brilliantly for me and I can live with having to plug in the power cable, as well as the Thunderbolt cable.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012

"Whenever possible, connect your displays to different busses to maximize performance."

I'm assuming it's not under maximum performance and likely either frame rate limited and/or resolution limited. Using docks/adapters/hubs that use DisplayLink drivers basically rely on that to play nicely with macOS. Those drivers have not worked well in that capacity in the past with more than 1 monitor, but appears that may be at least a little different or changing with the latest update.

Personally would wait for additional reports and more data before determining this Targus solution meets your needs. Would also reach out to their support directly and ask what restrictions are in place with macOS Catalina.

sevenout

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Orangevale, CA, USA
"Whenever possible, connect your displays to different busses to maximize performance."

I'm assuming it's not under maximum performance and likely either frame rate limited and/or resolution limited. Using docks/adapters/hubs that use DisplayLink drivers basically rely on that to play nicely with macOS. Those drivers have not worked well in that capacity in the past with more than 1 monitor, but appears that may be at least a little different or changing with the latest update.

Personally would wait for additional reports and more data before determining this Targus solution meets your needs. Would also reach out to their support directly and ask what restrictions are in place with macOS Catalina.
I noticed that line too. I guess it doesn't say that it won't work. Just might not be the highest performance. My 4 monitors are only HD 1920x1080 monitors and not 4K. So 4 of those on one TB3 port should not impact performance too much. My concern is with the DisplayLink drivers. A number of people here, including yourself, have expressed concern with using them. I've used DisplayLink drivers quite often with Windows with no issues. In fact they are my preferred drivers. Never thought they would be needed on a macOS and they don't seem to be a regular requirement for multiple displays in general. Are there pros and cons to using DisplayLink drivers on macOS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.