Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness

Aukey lists that as a 60W charger, which is too low to charge the 16-inch under any kind of load.

And based on the fact that they list the 100W charger, but it only sends 60W downstream, I wouldn't bet that their CB-C55 actually puts out the 60W

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Are there pros and cons to using DisplayLink drivers on macOS?

In the past using "extend modes" was not possible with the majority of adapters/hubs/docks and macOS, especially the cheaper ones that relied on universal drivers. Most only supported "mirror modes" officially, which was pretty much useless for most people.

For awhile, TB3 was able to drive dual 4K and USB-C was limited to basically HD. Usually TB3 was able to drive dual 4K extended. All adapters needed to be active. This eventually changed.

Not sure what Targus may or may not be doing differently with the DOCK570USZ as they are light on tech specs, especially for macOS support details. The "Dual DisplayLink DL-6910" chip might have some part of this new functionality when used in combination with the latest DisplayLink drivers. Have not followed them closely enough to know if this specific chip does something different that previous generations could not.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I'm interested in the Targus dock because I currently have a 3 monitor setup on my Windows Laptop. I just got the new MBP16 and plan to do the same. Apple indicates on their website that no more than 2 monitors should be connected to each of the TB3 busses (the MBP has two TB3 busses - one on each side). How can the Targus dock with 4 display connections work when connected to a single TB3 port/bus?

That's if you are using the full Displayport stream over usb-c. Targus is using Displaylink which is a proprietary method of compressing the video stream to fit on a lower bandwidth usb connection. In previous incarnations this was how a docking station added additional monitors through a usb-a type port.

It's not a native uncompressed video stream, which is why I questioned people's interest in this dock above. This is a far bigger tradeoff than having a dock that is slightly underpowered.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I noticed that line too. I guess it doesn't say that it won't work. Just might not be the highest performance. My 4 monitors are only HD 1920x1080 monitors and not 4K.

It’s more about allocation of DisplayPort connections to the GPU, not raw bandwidth.

So 4 of those on one TB3 port should not impact performance too much.

That won’t work. DisplayPort over USB-C/TB3 has a maximum of two connections on a single port.

It also looks like it is limited to 2 DisplayPort connections per bus as well. So hooking up a 5K or XDR will take up both connections assigned to the bus over a single cable.

4 displays, 4K or less will need two connected to each bus.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Aukey lists that as a 60W charger, which is too low to charge the 16-inch under any kind of load.

And based on the fact that they list the 100W charger, but it only sends 60W downstream, I wouldn't bet that their CB-C55 actually puts out the 60W

Here it's the official product page
https://www.aukey.com/products/multiport-usb-c-adapter-cb-c55-upgrade

And it says:
"100W Power Delivery port keeps compatible USB-C PD devices fully charged while you’re using all the other functions of the hub"

So, where it is mentioned this 60w specification?
Am I missing something?

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Here it's the official product page
https://www.aukey.com/products/multiport-usb-c-adapter-cb-c55-upgrade

And it says:
"100W Power Delivery port keeps compatible USB-C PD devices fully charged while you’re using all the other functions of the hub"

So, where it is mentioned this 60w specification?
Am I missing something?

Huh, it's listed as a 60W on the Amazon Canada site.

Most likely it's like the other one, says 100W, because it can take that input, but only ever outputs 60W to the laptop.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Aukey CB-C55 was "upgraded" to support 100W PD at some point.

The USA Amazon listing:
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-AUKEY-Ethernet-Chromebook-Pixelbook/dp/B06XFD7VF3

Worth pointing out this specific note in that listing:

Compatible Devices
PCs: MacBook Pro, MacBook, iMac 2017, Google Chromebook, Google Pixelbook, Lenovo Yoga 900 & 910
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S8
(Specifically designed for full compatibility with the above models. Compatibility for other models may vary and can't be warranted)

For use with the 15-inch MacBook Pro's 87W power adapter, please download the 'CB-C55 & CB-C58 & CB-C59 & CB-C60 Firmware Update for Power Delivery for 15-inch MacBook Pro' from the AUKEY website. A Windows computer with USB-C port is needed to install the firmware, but then the hub will provide full power to the 15-inch MacBook Pro.

sevenout

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Orangevale, CA, USA
In the past using "extend modes" was not possible with the majority of adapters/hubs/docks and macOS, especially the cheaper ones that relied on universal drivers. Most only supported "mirror modes" officially, which was pretty much useless for most people.

For awhile, TB3 was able to drive dual 4K and USB-C was limited to basically HD. Usually TB3 was able to drive dual 4K extended. All adapters needed to be active. This eventually changed.

Not sure what Targus may or may not be doing differently with the DOCK570USZ as they are light on tech specs, especially for macOS support details. The "Dual DisplayLink DL-6910" chip might have some part of this new functionality when used in combination with the latest DisplayLink drivers. Have not followed them closely enough to know if this specific chip does something different that previous generations could not.
That's if you are using the full Displayport stream over usb-c. Targus is using Displaylink which is a proprietary method of compressing the video stream to fit on a lower bandwidth usb connection. In previous incarnations this was how a docking station added additional monitors through a usb-a type port.

It's not a native uncompressed video stream, which is why I questioned people's interest in this dock above. This is a far bigger tradeoff than having a dock that is slightly underpowered.
It’s more about allocation of DisplayPort connections to the GPU, not raw bandwidth.

That won’t work. DisplayPort over USB-C/TB3 has a maximum of two connections on a single port.

It also looks like it is limited to 2 DisplayPort connections per bus as well. So hooking up a 5K or XDR will take up both connections assigned to the bus over a single cable.

4 displays, 4K or less will need two connected to each bus.
This is why I think I'm going to go with two of the CalDigit USB-C Pro Docks. I'll connect each one to opposite sides of the MBP so they each use a single TB3 bus. I'll end up with 2 gigabit Ethernet ports but I think this will be a better solution. I'll be able to have up to 4 displays (2 on each bus). Unless anyone can see why using 2 of these is a bad thing.

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Aukey CB-C55 was "upgraded" to support 100W PD at some point.

The USA Amazon listing:
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-AUKEY-Ethernet-Chromebook-Pixelbook/dp/B06XFD7VF3

Worth pointing out this specific note in that listing:

Compatible Devices
PCs: MacBook Pro, MacBook, iMac 2017, Google Chromebook, Google Pixelbook, Lenovo Yoga 900 & 910
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S8
(Specifically designed for full compatibility with the above models. Compatibility for other models may vary and can't be warranted)

For use with the 15-inch MacBook Pro's 87W power adapter, please download the 'CB-C55 & CB-C58 & CB-C59 & CB-C60 Firmware Update for Power Delivery for 15-inch MacBook Pro' from the AUKEY website. A Windows computer with USB-C port is needed to install the firmware, but then the hub will provide full power to the 15-inch MacBook Pro.

Huh, I tried looking for a firmware update for the AUKEY CB-C71 (sold as 100W, but delivers only 60W), but couldn't find any.

Have you seen anywhere on their site where you can download firmware? Edit: Found this which has several firmwares for the CB-C55 (mentioning only ethernet, but not power), and they have none for my CB-C71: https://www.aukey.com/downloads Don't know if that's a definitive list.

I messaged Aukey support, but they haven't been much help yet. It's about a day's delay between responses. And two days later the only message I've gotten from them was they asked what Mac I was trying to use, which I had already mentioned in my fairly descriptive message to their support system.

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Have you seen anywhere on their site where you can download firmware?

No, and I have not searched. They clearly are not designing this for macOS if you need a Windows machine to update the firmware. I'd rather wait to see how the CalDigit TS3 Plus shakes out (or just use as-is with supplemental power) before taking a gamble on something like this.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
This is why I think I'm going to go with two of the CalDigit USB-C Pro Docks. I'll connect each one to opposite sides of the MBP so they each use a single TB3 bus. I'll end up with 2 gigabit Ethernet ports but I think this will be a better solution. I'll be able to have up to 4 displays (2 on each bus). Unless anyone can see why using 2 of these is a bad thing.

Personally would not recommend this setup, but you should email CalDigit support (support@caldigit.com) before you purchase to confirm this is actually going to meet your needs and specifications as you are hoping. They typically get back to people within 24 hours, but with the Thanksgiving holiday it may be delayed.

Personally would probably use an eGPU solution for driving all those displays more reliably. Something like Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 GPU-650WOC-TB3 that has 100W PD. Using a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB (under $200) with 2x DP, 2x HDMI, 1x DVI-D should easily drive your four monitors. If not, others have more HDMI or more DP.

Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports and macOS 10.13.6+:
One eGFX Breakaway Box eGPU (WX9100, for example) supports up to six external 4k monitors @60Hz

Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports and macOS 10.14.6+:
Support for two eGFX Breakaway Box eGPUs and up to twelve external 4k monitors @60Hz

https://www.sonnettech.com/support/downloads/manuals/macos_egpu_info.pdf
https://www.sonnetstore.com/products/egfx-breakaway-box-650
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-box.html

Reactions: Nugget

sevenout

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Orangevale, CA, USA
Personally would not recommend this setup, but you should email CalDigit support (support@caldigit.com) before you purchase to confirm this is actually going to meet your needs and specifications as you are hoping. They typically get back to people within 24 hours, but with the Thanksgiving holiday it may be delayed.
I think the Sonnet eGPU is an overkill solution for me at this point. CalDigit support got back to me very quickly and said that using two USB-C Pro Docks will work just fine.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I wonder what happens if you plug in two USB-C Pro docks when they both want to power the laptop. Does it just draw power from the first one you plug in and ignore the power available from the second one?

I think I saw a video by unboxtherapy once where he plugged in two power adaptors into a 15" MBP and the laptop stopped charging completely until one was unplugged, at-least if I'm remembering correctly.

sevenout

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Orangevale, CA, USA
I wonder what happens if you plug in two USB-C Pro docks when they both want to power the laptop. Does it just draw power from the first one you plug in and ignore the power available from the second one?

I think I saw a video by unboxtherapy once where he plugged in two power adaptors into a 15" MBP and the laptop stopped charging completely until one was unplugged, at-least if I'm remembering correctly.
I asked CalDigit support about this and the answer is that it's no problem. See this Apple Support doc.
Charge your MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3

Reactions: Quu

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
DisplayLink is not the same as a traditional connection. It’s very inefficient, it’s basically a hack. Puts strain on the CPU also. I’d recommend staying away. Unless all you’re doing is email and web browsing on your 4x screens.

Reactions: Basic75

andrewpsy

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
The CalDigit TS3 Plus is a Thunderbolt 3 dock and personally hoping this will be my all in one solution moving forward. CalDigit is saying a firmware update before the end of year will address 96W/100W power. Will update the Wiki with any additional information I receive from their support.

I couldn't find anything implies 96/100W charging from CalDigit.
The twitter statement says a firmware update will be available by the end of the year.
The update will provide 87W and it is the maximum safe wattage the hardware can deliver.
Also the official account didn't respond Felix Schwarz's quote from AppleInsider's review "4% drain per hour when using 87W chargers under sustained load."
Did you read about CalDigit TS3 Plus will provide 96/100W charging somewhere else?

andrewpsy

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
Yes, in several direct messages from CalDigit support.

Thanks, not sure why they didn't state clearly that CalDigit TS3 Plus will offer 96/100W charging after a firmware update.
The exchanges between CalDigit and you contradicts what they said on twitter.

Reactions: the.gabeway

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Thanks, not sure why they didn't state clearly that CalDigit TS3 Plus will offer 96/100W charging after a firmware update.
The exchanges between CalDigit and you contradicts what they said on twitter.
There’s no way they’re going To be able to provide more than 87w.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Well that's because they are not actual Thunderbolt 3 docks, only USB, so can't natively support two monitors. Thanks, but no thanks.
[automerge]1575066132[/automerge]

How do you know that?

I don''t know for sure either, but I have my doubts. It would be nice to firmware update it to 96 watts, but I can live with plugging in two plugs, as I find the dock itself works very well.

I wonder if they could sell a power adapter that would upgrade it to 96 watts, or is the limitation in the dock itself?

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
They told me that when idle, the MBP 16" takes the same amount of time to charge using the TS3+ vs. the original AC adapter and when doing office productivity, the charging is almost the same. Is this true?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.