Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Yeah, I just checked the 2016 15" MBP specs listed at Apple, and it is limited to 5120x2880 max resolution, which I guess means it can't support the scaling past 5K that is required to support HiDPI 3008x2005 60 Hz.
HiDPI scaling is very different to actually running a monitor at that resolution. A pixel clock limit doesn’t affect the scaling.

I just checked the specs for my lowly 2017 Core m3 12" MacBook, […]
That’s a Kaby Lake iGPU. If the MateView is indeed driven at 3840×2560 at 60 Hz, the iGPU’s pixel clock limit may be 675 MHz IIRC.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
That’s a Kaby Lake iGPU. If the MateView is indeed driven at 3840×2560 at 60 Hz, the iGPU’s pixel clock limit may be 675 MHz IIRC.
MacBook_3840x2560_60Hz.png

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I have the definitive answer now, at least for HDMI.

I plugged in my Apple TV 4K (1st gen) into the Huawei MateView 28.2" over HDMI. It connects at 4Kp60 HDR, fully supports 4:2:2 chroma, and streams 4K just fine in Netflix, so HDCP 2.2 is fully supported.

And it looks glorious!

View attachment 2129963

Note the "Ultra HD 4K" logo here from the Apple TV 4K. From my Ventura M1 Mac mini, that logo is missing (both via HDMI and USB-C).

View attachment 2129962

IOW, the inability of the M1 Mac mini to stream DRM'd 4K to the MateView is a compatibility issue, or else macOS / Safari limitation.

What happens with the Apple Studio Display?

BTW, I couldn't test 4:4:4 chroma, because I don't think Apple TV 4K has that option.
Hmm... I couldn't get Disney+ to work at all over HDMI when connected to the M1 Mac mini. It just wouldn't play.

So for M1 + MateView 28, Disney+ in Safari works at HD but not 4K over USB-C, but it doesn't work at all over HDMI.

For Disney+ streaming on the MateView 28
HDMI + Apple TV 4K = 4K
HDMI + M1 Mac mini = No worky
USB-C + M1 Mac mini = HD

Perhaps the MateView 28 only provides HDCP 2.2 over HDMI, but the M1 Mac mini does not in this configuration. Over USB-C, perhaps the MateView 28 + M1 Mac mini only provides HDCP 1.4. If both of these statements are true, then that would explain the above results.

Last edited:

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
I have a very strange issue on my hands, I am out of options, I am hoping any of you might now what the problem is.

I setup for a friend new MacBook Air M2 + Mateview 28 + Anker 577 Thunderbolt 3 dock + Time Machine Drive.

- I can't get the Mateview to detect any signal when connected via USB-C to the Dock (plug is connected in the 5K USB-C port in the dock). I only managed to get it to work once, but I just fumbled around with the cables, I don't recall doing anything in particular.
- The monitor works all the time with the included USB-C same cable if I plug the monitor in directly in the Mac and it also works with the dock if connected via HDMI (too bad it is 50 Hz only). There is no Display port on the dock. The USB ports also work on the Dock work all the time, it appears that the Display Port - USB-C handshake is wonky.
- The same issues happen when I plug everything in my Air M1, so a laptop issue is excluded.

Has anyone came across anything like this when the monitor is connected to a dock? The only thing that I didn't try is to use a USB-C to Display Port adapter from the dock and connect the monitor via Display port (I didn't have one such an adapter). Other than that, the only other fix might be to buy a different Thunderbolt dock.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I have a very strange issue on my hands, I am out of options, I am hoping any of you might now what the problem is.

I setup for a friend new MacBook Air M2 + Mateview 28 + Anker 577 Thunderbolt 3 dock + Time Machine Drive.

- I can't get the Mateview to detect any signal when connected via USB-C to the Dock (plug is connected in the 5K USB-C port in the dock). I only managed to get it to work once, but I just fumbled around with the cables, I don't recall doing anything in particular.
- The monitor works all the time with the included USB-C same cable if I plug the monitor in directly in the Mac and it also works with the dock if connected via HDMI (too bad it is 50 Hz only). There is no Display port on the dock. The USB ports also work on the Dock work all the time, it appears that the Display Port - USB-C handshake is wonky.
- The same issues happen when I plug everything in my Air M1, so a laptop issue is excluded.

Has anyone came across anything like this when the monitor is connected to a dock? The only thing that I didn't try is to use a USB-C to Display Port adapter from the dock and connect the monitor via Display port (I didn't have one such an adapter). Other than that, the only other fix might be to buy a different Thunderbolt dock.
Did you try the dock’s Thunderbolt port on the back? Not the USB-C port on the front.

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
I tried both ports, no go with both. It may be that the Anker 577 TB3 dock is not compatible with Apple Macs, found a blurb on Anker website. At least now I know.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
(Apologies - this is O/T for Mac Mini, but this also seems to be the main, ongoing Mateview discussion thread...)

On machines which support multiple displays (i.e. M1 Pro/Max) has anybody actually tried connecting two Mateviews to a Thunderbolt hub that supports dual 4k displays?

I'm thinking about getting a Caldigit Elements hub - which is supposed to support dual 4k@60Hz on Pro/Max, but what makes me stop to think is that the Mateview is higher res (in terms of pixel count) than "4k" UHD - hence only going up to 50Hz on HDMI. Yes, the hub supports dual Studio Displays/PRO XDR but I think those rely on DP 1.4/DSC.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
On machines which support multiple displays (i.e. M1 Pro/Max) has anybody actually tried connecting two Mateviews to a Thunderbolt hub that supports dual 4k displays?
This answer is somewhat theoretical because I don’t have a TB dock/hub, but the MateView uses a four-lane DisplayPort 1.2 HBR2 connection (as does any ol’ 4K60 display), two of which are provided by a TB3/TB4 port. So this should work fine.

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
Samsung ViewFinity S9 coming. 5K HDR600 27” with styling like M8 and detachable 4K camera. Matte screen, aluminum construction, height adjustable.

DCI-P3 99%. USB-C, Thunderbolt 4, DisplayPort, HDMI. 96 Watt charging.
Great monitor for those that want 5K, but the 16:9 screen ratio is meh. 3:2 is a game changer on a desktop monitor compared to 16:9. Still, it depends what you do on the monitor, it is good that more options are starting to become available.

Reactions: Oculus Mentis

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Great monitor for those that want 5K, but the 16:9 screen ratio is meh. 3:2 is a game changer on a desktop monitor compared to 16:9. Still, it depends what you do on the monitor, it is good that more options are starting to become available.
3:2 is fine, but I think most people would disagree with you. It's not really a game changer for most people, and 4K+ HDMI 2.0 doesn't support 60 Hz at full resolution anyway.

As for the Samsung 5K S9, it will come down to performance vs. aesthetics vs. price. The 16:9 aspect ratio is not going to be a problem at all, and in fact it may be preferred by the majority.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
3:2 is fine, but I think most people would disagree with you. It's not really a game changer for most people,
It’s nice that we have a 3:2 option. Those that want 16:9 can still get it. Why does it matter to you what “most people” think/want?

and 4K+ HDMI 2.0 doesn't support 60 Hz at full resolution anyway.
Doesn’t matter because DisplayPort 1.2 is better anyway.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
It’s nice that we have a 3:2 option. Those that want 16:9 can still get it. Why does it matter to you what “most people” think/want?
I was responding of course to his claim that 3:2 is a gamechanger. It isn't. It's just a nice option for a minority of people.

Doesn’t matter because DisplayPort 1.2 is better anyway.
Not if you own an M1 Mac mini. As you know, to get dual monitor support on an M1 Mac mini, one of them needs to be HDMI.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The 16:9 aspect ratio is not going to be a problem at all,
and in fact it may be preferred by the majority.
I’m not sure if the majority prefer 16:9 or are just using it because it’s what most screens have and they might not be aware of other options.

Last edited:
Reactions: gvmelbrty

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I was responding of course to his claim that 3:2 is a gamechanger. It isn't. It's just a nice option for a minority of people.
I see. I agree with your statement, and I apologise for my misinterpretation and (probably) too emotional reaction.

Not if you own an M1 Mac mini. As you know, to get dual monitor support on an M1 Mac mini, one of them needs to be HDMI.
This is actually something Huawei could tackle: HDMI 2.0 can do 600 MHz pixel clock, enough for 58 Hz at the MateView’s resolution — almost as good as 60 Hz. They could include a 58 Hz mode in the HDMI EDID.

Last edited:
Reactions: EugW

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
On Windows I was able to overclock some monitors, there was an App that allowed custom refresh options. Is there an equivalent custom refresh App on macOS ? 58 Hz is not bad at all if it can be run over HDMI.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Actually for productivity, I tried 50 Hz and it seemed OK. 30 Hz is too slow, but 50 Hz was OK.

However, I didn't try video streaming at 50 Hz. I wonder how well it works for various content.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hmm… They raised the price back up to CA$899 (US$658 / UKP550 / EUR624) at most places here in Canada. At that price I don’t find it so compelling.

I paid CA$699 (US$511 / UKP427 / EUR485) just last month.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I apologise if this has already been established in this thread, but I've just confirmed (using AGDCDiagnose on my Intel Mac) that dropping the resolution to 3600×2400 makes macOS run the MateView at 10 bpc.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Hmm… They raised the price back up to CA$899 (US$658 / UKP550 / EUR624) at most places here in Canada. At that price I don’t find it so compelling.
In the UK, I bought one in April for £400 and one in late May for £500 (both including 20% tax) and the Amazon price is currently back down to £449 (RRP is supposedly £600)

So (a) how good a deal this display is depends on where you live and (b) if you don't like the price, wait a while.

I'd say it was a no-brainer at £400, still pretty good at £500 and, at £600, becomes a case of how much you want the (nearly unique) 3:2 4k+ @ 28.2" display format.

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
I apologise if this has already been established in this thread, but I've just confirmed (using AGDCDiagnose on my Intel Mac) that dropping the resolution to 3600×2400 makes macOS run the MateView at 10 bpc.
are there any real benefits? is it actually usable at this resolution (mean is the display not blurry running on non-native resolution)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.