Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnnyy20p

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2021
Other people it’s might be games. For me it would be the ability to maniputate and create things on virtual space as I please.

Reactions: G5isAlive

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I might be an old man millennial, but why do we put so much weight on an influencer?

Either the AVP works for your needs or it doesn’t. Why so much weight on his words?
Absolutely! I do respect Brian Tong. He gives facts and impressions. Rarely if ever do I feel like he’s trying to influence. It seems easy to spot someone who is out to peddle their viewpoint especially in this forum.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I still think this thing is the future, but I do agree that Gen 1 is really underwhelming.

Part of me wonders if this was rushed out because Apple started to feel pressure internally to put out the next big thing. Don’t blame them if so, but it just seems a little shortsighted. I equate Apple with products that are compelling, well made and immediately useful. This one just suffers from too many tradeoffs that keep it from being useful.

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
Airports, flights.

That's where this product will start to blossom. A portable oasis of peace in the mess of travel is a very compelling proposition.
IDK. It seems like airlines would have been offering VR headsets built into the backs of seats or at least offering them for a price if market research showed it was something most people wanted. But most people just aren't going to wear the things. YOU might, and that's great, but I just don't think it's something most people want, even when flying.

Also, I know some people spend a lot of time flying and in airports, but I personally don't know any of these people. It's a great niche market, but most people aren't taking flights every week, month, or even year.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
IDK. It seems like airlines would have been offering VR headsets built into the backs of seats or at least offering them for a price if market research showed it was something most people wanted. But most people just aren't going to wear the things. YOU might, and that's great, but I just don't think it's something most people want, even when flying.

Also, I know some people spend a lot of time flying and in airports, but I personally don't know any of these people. It's a great niche market, but most people aren't taking flights every week, month, or even year.
Most people don't care about Vision Pro at all. That's just the reality.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

What apps or functionality are people hoping/expecting to come to Vision Pro that will make them want to use it on a regular basis?
Basically everything is there already IMO. What it really needs are OS level features - persistence, window management, "widgets", snapping and a "shared space immersive" mode.

Persistence: This is the obvious one. If I setup my office workspace, I should be able to close it, recall it, etc.

Window Management: Let me group windows. Attach windows to each other. Stack them to allow for alt + tab.

Widgets: So apps like my own DeskFrame can just be placed somewhere and persisted. Put photos on your wall, and they just stay there until you move them. And you don't need to set them up on every reboot. Make them low memory/low processing like iOS widgets, but support 3D models.

Snapping: For 3D widgets they should be able stick to walls/floors/tables, without the app having to be immersive and request wall data.

Shared Space Immersive mode - I want to be able to watch theater mode movies, while also using other apps in front of the screen. This requires an in-between mode from what we have now.

These 5 things will really open up the platform and bring it into it's own.

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
\
Basically everything is there already IMO. What it really needs are OS level features - persistence, window management, "widgets", snapping and a "shared space immersive" mode.

Persistence: This is the obvious one. If I setup my office workspace, I should be able to close it, recall it, etc.

Window Management: Let me group windows. Attach windows to each other. Stack them to allow for alt + tab.

Widgets: So apps like my own DeskFrame can just be placed somewhere and persisted. Put photos on your wall, and they just stay there until you move them. And you don't need to set them up on every reboot. Make them low memory/low processing like iOS widgets, but support 3D models.

Snapping: For 3D widgets they should be able stick to walls/floors/tables, without the app having to be immersive and request wall data.

Shared Space Immersive mode - I want to be able to watch theater mode movies, while also using other apps in front of the screen. This requires an in-between mode from what we have now.

These 5 things will really open up the platform and bring it into it's own.
Almost like it should have been the Mac Vision Pro.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
I'll take a little glare to be able to bring an arguably comparable OLED display to any position in my home, or on a plane, or on my ceiling in bed, at any size and any native aspect ratio without black bars. A big ugly 45-pound plastic rectangle that's stuck in one particular place for its entire lifespan is objectively less useful than one that can be brought anywhere and takes up zero space.
No wonder you prefer an AVP, you have a computer that is 45 POUNDS that you HOLD when using. I suggest looking at newer models of computers that weigh SIGNIFICANTLY less and you don’t have to hold them when using them. Unlike the AVP, there are actually computers that weigh ounces and get more than 2.5 hours of battery life without the need to be plugged in.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Do you have an AVP? There is no comparison to a little 11 inch 4:3 display with two thirds of the display being black bars for a 2.35 aspect movie held in your hand compared to something that effectively convinces your brain you're sitting in a movie theater. I get there's glare, but I don't know how these experiences are even remotely

Absolutely! I do respect Brian Tong. He gives facts and impressions. Rarely if ever do I feel like he’s trying to influence. It seems easy to spot someone who is out to peddle their viewpoint especially in this forum.
🤣🤣🤣 seriously?! Brian is male version of iJustine.

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
I think you're missing the idea entirely. I don't need to be courtside virtually, I want the court on my coffee table in full 3D. To be able to pull up windows with stats, details, etc. To throw overlays onto the court while the game is going on, etc. Not a tomorrow thing, but if you can't see that a room-scale 3d environment could be as big a leap in sports broadcasting as TV was from Radio, I can't help you.
You want to watch little millionaires on your coffee table playing sport ball? That's hilarious as hell.

Stevenyo

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2020

I fly almost every week, and use my Vision Pro on every flight for work. The seat pitch and tray table size in coach makes using a laptop terrible even before we talk about ergonomics. It’s literally a revelation to work on an AVP while flying.

As for airlines offering VR displays, won’t happen until they’re as cheap as the disposable earbuds they have now. The headsets can break and walk away and would theoretically need much more cleaning, and sizing would be a nightmare, and really any sort of spatial tracking while in a moving vehicle is still pretty cutting edge. So you’d be talking glasses with displays at best anytime soon, like an xreal or similar product, not terrible but not all that much more useful than a seatback display for watching TV/movies on the go. Oh, and it’s not like airlines are making interior decisions in 2023/2024 that hit the fleet in serious numbers until the 2030s or so. Even if someone came up with an interior based around offering an amazing VR device as in flight entertainment that was ready to install tomorrow, it’d likely be years if not a decade before they were installed in truly significant numbers.

Reactions: kc9hzn

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
I fly almost every week, and use my Vision Pro on every flight for work. The seat pitch and tray table size in coach makes using a laptop terrible even before we talk about ergonomics. It’s literally a revelation to work on an AVP while flying.
Ok that's great and all, but like I said, but most people don't fly very often to have it as a reason to buy it.

Stevenyo

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2020

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

There’s a couple flaws in your argument… 1) prior to the AVP there hasn’t been a headset of similar optical quality for them to do market research with…2) and define niche, because Commercial aviation drove 5% of U.S. GDP—the equivalent of $1.25 trillion in 2022. Every day, U.S. airlines operate more than 25,000 flights carrying 2.5 million passengers. That’s a lot of people flying. I don’t know what circles you run in, but I fly at least once a month and I know plenty of people who fly more. You’re right, it won’t be as ubiquitous as the iPhone, but it will be a niche many will envy.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
That and it needs to be 10x more comfortable, not just weight wise but also FOV. Basically it has to reach a point where you can forget you're wearing a headset. Watching movies in the dark Mount Hood environment is awesome but the tradeoffs are not worth it when the upcoming OLED iPads will provide a similar HDR experience.
Who in their right mind would want to watch a movie on an iPad? There’s not even a comparison there. And why is the mount hood environment any dif than the others?

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Why buy it then? I can’t even imagine going back to regular gaming after experiencing VR
I have the PSVR2 as well and as great as the tech is, it‘s always more comfortable and convenient to just play the PS5 the old fashioned way on the TV. Is it as immersive? No, but it’s more spontaneous and freeing than wearing the headset. It’s nice to have the alternative option, though. The first few times playing it was pretty amazing. If it didn’t get so warm wearing it after 30+ minutes, I’d use it way more often.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Who in their right mind would want to watch a movie on an iPad? There’s not even a comparison there. And why is the mount hood environment any dif than the others?

The people that want a highly portable movie watching experience with great HDR which is what AVP was supposed to be. Once the OLED MacBook comes along that will be my preferred way to watch a movie in bed.

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands

What apps or functionality are people hoping/expecting to come to Vision Pro that will make them want to use it on a regular basis?
Video Conferencing apps (Teams, Zoom)
Video Streaming Apps (All the usuals)
Apps for financial telemetry
Photo editing / Illustration / Video Editing Apps (more)

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I have a Quest 3. I was very impressed for the first month or so since it was my first experience of VR but it's like I got used to it and it does not look / feel that special anymore and it is just inconvenient to use and I picture the AVP has the same issue. I just don't feel like grabbing it (yes, I am really this lazy), taking it out of its case, putting it on, adjusting it before finally start using it. It's not like a phone that you just grab and you are good to go. Once I decide to use it, I really use it but ugh there is like this subconscious thing in my body that is like "do I really need to put it on". Hard to explain haha

It is also way too big for travel since most airlines only allow one carry-on (if even!) or a single "accessorise" on board without paying extra nowadays and I am not paying 50 bucks extra to bring a headset

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.