Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IanK MacPro

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2018
Buckinghamshire, UK
Whilst running the latest release build of Teams, it popped a notification up when I went to launch a new screen share to say that a new audio drive update was available, I installed it and checked in Activity Monitor and it now looks like its native!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 10.40.53.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 10.40.53.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 136

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Whilst running the latest release build of Teams, it popped a notification up when I went to launch a new screen share to say that a new audio drive update was available, I installed it and checked in Activity Monitor and it now looks like its native!
That's awesome! Wonder when it will roll out to everyone?

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Nice! Was it a Teams notification or from Microsoft Auto Update?

TheMinecraftHunter

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2022
There are new daily builds that looks to be completely fully arm64 now. For those who want to be Rosetta 2 free, you can try out these builds and check if it solves your problem.

Continuous Deployment = https://staticsint.teams.cdn.office.net/production-osx/1.5.00.23552/Teams_osx.pkg which was grabbed from https://github.com/ItzLevvie/MicrosoftTeams-msinternal/blob/master/defconfig#L8

Exploration = https://staticsint.teams.cdn.office.net/production-osx/1.5.00.23502/Teams_osx.pkg which was grabbed from https://github.com/ItzLevvie/MicrosoftTeams-msinternal/blob/master/defconfig#L17

What's new:
• Core Audio Driver has been updated from 2020.42.00.9 (old) to 2022.31.01.1 (new)
<hostArchitectures> in the Distribution file has been updated from <hostArchitectures="x86_64"/> (old) to <hostArchitectures="arm64,x86_64"/> (new)

Production and Preview builds both use 2020.42.00.9 (old) and <hostArchitectures="x86_64"/> (old)

Last edited:

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
There are new daily builds that looks to be completely fully arm64 now. For those who want to be Rosetta 2 free, you can try out these builds and check if it solves your problem.

Continuous Deployment = https://staticsint.teams.cdn.office.net/production-osx/1.5.00.23153/Teams_osx.pkg which was grabbed from https://github.com/ItzLevvie/MicrosoftTeams-msinternal/blob/master/defconfig#L8

Exploration = https://staticsint.teams.cdn.office.net/production-osx/1.5.00.23103/Teams_osx.pkg which was grabbed from https://github.com/ItzLevvie/MicrosoftTeams-msinternal/blob/master/defconfig#L17

What's new:
• Core Audio Driver has been updated from 2020.42.00.9 (old) to 2022.31.01.1 (new)
<hostArchitectures> in the Distribution file has been updated from <hostArchitectures="x86_64"/> (old) to <hostArchitectures="arm64,x86_64"/> (new)

Production and Preview builds both use 2020.42.00.9 (old) and <hostArchitectures="x86_64"/> (old)
There we go!

1660930556160.png

Core Audio Driver as Apple Silicon :) Haven't tried any calls because my work is done for today. But got maintenance tomorrow and I'll update y'all

1660930571333.png

Last edited:

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I have clicked the check for updates option several times on my Mac Studio and still haven't gotten the AS version. I looked in Activity Manager and noticed that CoreAudio isn't even running on my MacBook Air M1. I quit Teams and opened it again. Still no CoreAudio. I don't recall it being an optional installation.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I have clicked the check for updates option several times on my Mac Studio and still haven't gotten the AS version. I looked in Activity Manager and noticed that CoreAudio isn't even running on my MacBook Air M1. I quit Teams and opened it again. Still no CoreAudio. I don't recall it being an optional installation.
It is, just install the new version mentioned above

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Do the daily builds update as well, or are you stuck with one until you manually update from GitHub?

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Do the daily builds update as well, or are you stuck with one until you manually update from GitHub?
I checked several times with both my MacBook Air M1 and Mac Studio, and neither has updated to the AS-native core audio driver. I'll refrain from reinstalling from a GitHub download and will just wait for it to automatically update. I'm not needing it that much.

My MBA wasn't even showing CoreAudio as running when I looked in Activity Manager. It showed it after a reboot. Makes me wonder if the driver is absolutely necessary for Teams to function.

Blue Quark

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Probabilistic
It's almost as though people in here are actually surprise that Microsoft would do a ████ job of writing a program.

Seriously, folks?

I'd never used Teams until my present job. And honestly, if it weren't for the fact that we all work remotely and it's a lot less bandwidth-intensive to send IMs around compared with audio streams, I question how much use it'd actually get then.

Right now, I happen to have the Linux client up and running on my LM install. It's ok. I do sometimes wish we were all just using IRC.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I would like to be logged into multiple Microsoft 365 Teams accounts like I can be on the smartphone app, but I have to keep on regularly logging out and back in again on the computer to switch between them and with 2FA for each of these accounts it is a big pain.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I would like to be logged into multiple Microsoft 365 Teams accounts like I can be on the smartphone app, but I have to keep on regularly logging out and back in again on the computer to switch between them and with 2FA for each of these accounts it is a big pain.
Yeah it's terrible, only Web App function is good for this

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Does anyone use the Canon EOS Webcam Utility?

It used to work fine in Teams, same 14" M1 Max, same macOS 12.5.1, but now it doesn't even show up in the camera selection menu.

It works as expected in Skype, so it is definitely a Teams issue.

EDIT: Looks like M1 native is the issue.

Any suggestions for workarounds, besides reverting back to Intel Teams?

Last edited:

bottsjw

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
Great news. I was able to install the 22-Aug build without the Rosetta 2 prompt! 🙌
I did uncheck the Teams Audio Driver option during install, just to see if things work without it and my test calls seemed to run just fine. I'll continue to test it to see how things perform but thus far it's been very responsive on the MBA M1.

Reactions: Selchuk.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Newer builds with native Audio driver works so much better, it now uses only a fraction of the processor even during video calls with lots of people where previously it would consume almost the full CPU time. I don't think preview builds auto update so lets hope it reaches release channel soon.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Newer builds with native Audio driver works so much better, it now uses only a fraction of the processor even during video calls with lots of people where previously it would consume almost the full CPU time. I don't think preview builds auto update so lets hope it reaches release channel soon.
Haven’t gave a go at this yet but I’ll install the new version tomorrow morning and give it a go for a couple of days this week.

bottsjw

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
First day Thursday with the full native AS build ... WOW great performance but WOW serious battery drain. I killed more than half the battery with a 3h Teams call. That's a show stopper for sure.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
First day Thursday with the full native AS build ... WOW great performance but WOW serious battery drain. I killed more than half the battery with a 3h Teams call. That's a show stopper for sure.
Same problem here, had 2 meetings today look at this.

1661782931127.png

In an hour from 73% to 56%.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
How can it be draining more battery if its using a lot less CPU? You could try disabling GPU acceleration but maybe its something else on your system. I don't make calls on battery so I can't be sure though.
What's the build # that's fully AS native?
I believe any build after August 22 is fully native.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Might also ensure the app is not forced to open through Rosetta (file properties in Finder).

bottsjw

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
How can it be draining more battery if its using a lot less CPU? You could try disabling GPU acceleration but maybe its something else on your system. I don't make calls on battery so I can't be sure though.

I believe any build after August 22 is fully native.
Same issue as @MrGunny94 . For that morning I was using the same compliment of apps, native Slack, Chrome and now added native Teams. It's the only new app in the suite of active apps and what is typically a full day or more was measured in hours.
FWIW, I don't have rosetta installed at all. If anything isn't native for me, it won't run.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Same issue as @MrGunny94 . For that morning I was using the same compliment of apps, native Slack, Chrome and now added native Teams. It's the only new app in the suite of active apps and what is typically a full day or more was measured in hours.
FWIW, I don't have rosetta installed at all. If anything isn't native for me, it won't run.
After the recent Teams AS-native release, I only have one small Intel app that runs on my machine. A small utility called "Captin" - a small app that gives me a caps lock indicator on-screen (and audio) as my mechanical keyboard doesn't have an indicator light. I have yet to find an Apple Silicon native app that provides the same function. Everything else is Apple Silicon native -- finally!

lankox

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
After the recent Teams AS-native release, I only have one small Intel app that runs on my machine. A small utility called "Captin" - a small app that gives me a caps lock indicator on-screen (and audio) as my mechanical keyboard doesn't have an indicator light. I have yet to find an Apple Silicon native app that provides the same function. Everything else is Apple Silicon native -- finally!
I emailed 2 weeks ago the developer of "Captin" asking about a native Silicon update and got no response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.