Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Does the teams installer still need Rosetta to install this Intel Audio driver or is that done now finally?
I think recent builds already includes arm audio driver. But recently it started using an insane amount of CPU during meetings, it drives me crazy, this got to be the worst piece of software ever produced and to no one surprise it’s from Microsoft. I think I’ll just use the web version and be done with it.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I didn't install the audio driver. When I've reinstalled Teams recently to try to get rid of an account issue, I checked the audio driver. It still installed the Intel version.

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
I think recent builds already includes arm audio driver. But recently it started using an insane amount of CPU during meetings, it drives me crazy, this got to be the worst piece of software ever produced and to no one surprise it’s from Microsoft. I think I’ll just use the web version and be done with it.
I’ve been using it as a PWA app in Chrome. Surprisingly, it runs on the performance cores in chrome where it runs on the efficiency cores in Edge, and it’s far faster ‘snappier’ in chrome. I haven’t installed the actual app yet on this box because I’m living Rosetta free, including that weird Intel Audio driver thing.

DC41

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2021
How do you check to see which version of the Intel Audio Driver you have? Can't find it in Apps, or Activity Monitor when running Teams. Little help?

Reactions: rocketbuc

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've found that kernel_task will randomly chew up ~600% CPU if I run Teams (most noticeable when playing a game and having it drop to single-digit FPS). Even quitting Teams doesn't fix it and I need to log off and back on. This only started happening a couple of weeks ago, and my Teams.app supposedly hasn't been modified since 16 Feb so who knows what's actually going on...

Reactions: maflynn and evertjr

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
How do you check to see which version of the Intel Audio Driver you have? Can't find it in Apps, or Activity Monitor when running Teams. Little help?
I think there was a new audio driver a few days ago. Look in the Teams package for a new audio installer.

Selchuk.

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
I didn't install the audio driver. When I've reinstalled Teams recently to try to get rid of an account issue, I checked the audio driver. It still installed the Intel version.
try to share your desktop including computer sound and if the relevant driver is an old version, it's going to warn you that do you want to update to the newer version. That's why try to share your screen with included computer sound and then you will see that updated.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I think there was a new audio driver a few days ago. Look in the Teams package for a new audio installer.
Nice catch--it seems my work machine got that update, as I only have 5 total things left on Intel processes and Teams is not listed as one of them. I definitely used to see the audio driver as an Intel process.

TheMinecraftHunter

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2022
1) Electron 19 builds of Microsoft Teams on macOS are now available as part of exploration builds:
which was taken from https://github.com/ItzLevvie/MicrosoftTeams-msinternal/blob/master/defconfig#L17

2) Microsoft Edge WebView2 builds of Microsoft Teams on macOS are being tested by Microsoft employees:
which was taken from https://github.com/ItzLevvie/MicrosoftTeams-msinternal/blob/master/defconfig2#L25

Here's the Distribution file inside of the Teams_osx.pkg which shows that it has a dependency on Electron 19:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<installer-gui-script minSpecVersion="1">
    <title>Microsoft Teams</title>
    <pkg-ref id="com.microsoft.teams" version="1.00.531908" onConclusion="none">#Teams_osx_app.pkg</pkg-ref>
    <pkg-ref id="com.microsoft.teams" installKBytes="481652">
        <must-close>
            <app id="com.microsoft.teams"/>
        </must-close>
        <bundle-version>
            <bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="1.00.531908" CFBundleVersion="531908" id="com.microsoft.teams.helper" path="Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper (Renderer).app"/>
            <bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="3.1.0" CFBundleVersion="0.0.0" id="com.electron.reactive" path="Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/ReactiveObjC.framework"/>
            <bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="1.0" CFBundleVersion="1" id="com.microsoft.vcxpc" path="Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar.unpacked/node_modules/slimcore/bin/vcxpc.xpc"/>
            <bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="1.0" CFBundleVersion="0.0.0" id="org.mantle.Mantle" path="Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mantle.framework"/>
            <bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="1.0" CFBundleVersion="1" id="com.github.Squirrel" path="Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Squirrel.framework"/>
            <bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="1.65.0" CFBundleVersion="1.65.0" id="com.microsoft.authentication" path="Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar.unpacked/node_modules/oneauth/lib/OneAuth.framework"/>
            <bundle CFBundleVersion="19.1.5" id="com.github.Electron.framework" path="Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Electron Framework.framework"/>
            <bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="1.00.531908" CFBundleVersion="531908" id="com.microsoft.teams.TeamsUpdaterDaemon" path="Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/TeamsUpdaterDaemon.xpc"/>
            <bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="1.00.531908" CFBundleVersion="531908" id="com.microsoft.teams" path="Microsoft Teams.app"/>
            <bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="4.0.12" id="com.microsoft.ADAL" path="Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/ADAL.framework"/>
        </bundle-version>
    </pkg-ref>
    <pkg-ref id="com.microsoft.MSTeamsAudioDevice" version="2022.31.1" installKBytes="539">#MSTeamsAudioDevice.pkg</pkg-ref>
    <options customize="always" require-scripts="true" hostArchitectures="arm64,x86_64"/>
    <choice id="Teams" title="Microsoft Teams" start_enabled="false" start_selected="true" start_visible="true" selected="true"/>
    <choice id="TeamsApp" title="Microsoft Teams" customLocation="/Applications" start_enabled="false" start_selected="true" start_visible="false" selected="true">
        <pkg-ref id="com.microsoft.teams"/>
    </choice>
    <choice id="AudioDevice" title="Teams Audio Driver" selected="shouldInstallSSADriver()">
        <pkg-ref id="com.microsoft.MSTeamsAudioDevice"/>
    </choice>
    <choices-outline>
        <line choice="Teams">
            <line choice="TeamsApp"/>
        </line>
        <line choice="AudioDevice"/>
    </choices-outline>
    <domains enable_anywhere="true" enable_currentUserHome="false" enable_localSystem="true"/>
    <allowed-os-version>
        <os-version min="10.11"/>
    </allowed-os-version>
    <script>
        function shouldInstallSSADriver()
      {
        return !system.files.fileExistsAtPath('/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app');
      }
    </script>
    <pkg-ref id="com.microsoft.MSTeamsAudioDevice">
        <bundle-version>
            <bundle CFBundleShortVersionString="2022.31.01.1" CFBundleVersion="1" id="com.microsoft.MSTeamsAudioDevice" path="MSTeamsAudioDevice.driver"/>
        </bundle-version>
    </pkg-ref>
    <product version="1.00.531908"/>
</installer-gui-script>

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: tCC_

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
1) Electron 19 builds of Microsoft Teams on macOS are now available as part of exploration builds:
which was taken from https://github.com/ItzLevvie/MicrosoftTeams-msinternal/blob/master/defconfig#L17

2) Microsoft Edge WebView2 builds of Microsoft Teams on macOS are being tested by Microsoft employees:
which was taken from https://github.com/ItzLevvie/MicrosoftTeams-msinternal/blob/master/defconfig2#L25

Interesting. Is Electron 19 or WebView2 better?

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Sorry to resurrect this thread but... if I uninstall Teams completely and reinstall from MS, will I get the Apple silicon build? The app has been causing me no end of headaches recently - taking minutes to load, requiring me to sign in to my Microsoft account constantly, then dumping me in a Teams window with no options to actually join any meetings. Super frustrating. Feels like the only option is to nuke it and start over.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Sorry to resurrect this thread but... if I uninstall Teams completely and reinstall from MS, will I get the Apple silicon build? The app has been causing me no end of headaches recently - taking minutes to load, requiring me to sign in to my Microsoft account constantly, then dumping me in a Teams window with no options to actually join any meetings. Super frustrating. Feels like the only option is to nuke it and start over.
Check the app now to see if is Silicon - it should be at this stage automatically

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 13.44.26.png

Also open the Teams package and run the Audio device installer

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 13.45.25.png

If that doesn't do the trick I would look at nuking the preferences and caches rather than the application.

Are you logging into multiple 365 accounts? That is guaranteed to mean multiple logins – microsoft cannot cope with you working for more than one organisation.

HTH

MacRail

macrumors member
May 21, 2019
Everyone receive this email?

You’re receiving this notice because you use Microsoft Teams Free (classic).

Upgrade to a paid version of Microsoft Teams to keep access to your data

On April 12, 2023, Microsoft Teams Free (classic) will be retired. To sign in and access your chats, files, scheduled meetings, and other data after that date, you’ll need to upgrade to a paid version of Teams.

If you prefer to continue using a free version of Teams, you may sign up for the new free Teams option. None of your data will transfer, but you’ll be able to view and save the files that are in your current account to another location through April 12, 2023

If you prefer to continue accessing your data in your account, there are several paid options to choose from. We recommend Microsoft Teams Essentials because it most closely matches the functionality you currently use. Your data will transfer automatically, and you’ll keep access to capabilities such as:
  • Unlimited group meetings for up to 30 hours.
  • Up to 300 participants per meeting.
  • 10 GB of cloud storage per user.
Required action

To continue using your Microsoft Teams account and maintain your data, review pricing and upgrade to Teams Essentials or another paid version of Teams by April 12, 2023

Read complete details about your options, including signing up for the new free version of Teams.

This email was sent from an unmonitored mailbox.

Privacy Statement

Microsoft Corporation,
One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052 USA

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
My general cynicism makes me decide it's a spam/fake mail.

But then ...
That just sounds like they are making Teams part of Office ongoing, rather than a free application independent of that licensing. As this is currently the way Teams is used by most I am not sure it will make a difference to many.

Reactions: adrianlondon

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Teams is such a mess. There are two different versions on Windows, one is shipping with it but this one can't be used with business/Microsoft 365 accounts, and the other one has to be downloaded first. Only to have two Teams apps on your PC then. I don't know a single person who uses Teams privately instead of one of the other zillion chat apps available for years

I'm using a Mac now though, so no idea of anything of that changed, but hot damn does this app suck. Screen sharing and call quality is great once it's going, but this app. It's a miserable experience.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
so there already is a new Mac client? Does that still use Electron but with the new UI? Can't test it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.