Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I am on Big Sur 11.5 b2 / Music 1.1.6.12 now and a major issue has been fixed

Turning off "Show Artwork" now works and stays off after a restart

Been a long time - but finally resolved - can someone confirm?

EDIT - had to keep checking this all day - it really seems fixed ? ? ? ? ? ?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: ErikGrim

RednBlue

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
Reading UK

?? You're right!! Whatever next!!!

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦

U91jbCY.png

justafew

macrumors member
May 6, 2016
Can't wait to hear about the Monterey Music app.
I'm excited! We will get a new Apple Music app with new features that don't work properly, old issues that remain unresolved and a plethora of new issues to frustrate us even further.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
New thread for Monterey Music, which was conspicuously absent in the keynote, so I feel safe in just moving the existing wiki post here:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Looks like the problem with downloaded HLS media files has been solved, now that lossless playback is possible.

A little warning though – or very good news, depending on your perspective: Even matched songs that have lossless versions available now seem to download/play as lossless HLS media (presumably with DRM attached) after you delete the local file if you've enabled lossless audio.

LaEnsalada

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2020
Hey,

I just updated to Big Sur from catalina recently, and I've often having this bug that the play next/later options are missing. Is there any way to fix this?

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Hey,

I just updated to Big Sur from catalina recently, and I've often having this bug that the play next/later options are missing. Is there any way to fix this?

Is it just the "Play Next" options missing or the whole "Display Bar Missing" - see bug #3 page 1 of this thread?

Not sure if that is the same - but some users had issues when changing the language settings

LaEnsalada

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2020
Is it just the "Play Next" options missing or the whole "Display Bar Missing" - see bug #3 page 1 of this thread?

Not sure if that is the same - but some users had issues when changing the language settings
Only the Play Next options are missing, that I noticed.

I've ran a search on google, and apparently it's a bug that shipped with Big Sur. (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252084068). It's not the end of the world but it's quite annoying.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
My Music app has now decided it doesn't want to stream more than the first 14 seconds of any (lossless) song. Fantastic.

edit: Looks like downloading a random song fixed it. Huh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lvivske

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
I've concluded that nobody from Apple actually uses Music. I just imported three albums, and importing the third caused the first two to get deleted.

I had the same issue with TV last year, so they're clearly sharing code (which is what you'd expect, but this pretty much confirms it).
Still happily using iTunes on Mojave!! I never understood the hate against iTunes. It's been one of my most used app for so many years!

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Still happily using iTunes on Monterey ;)
I'm close to updating to Big Sur actually, now that I know you can run iTunes without problems, but how does it work with iBooks and the Podcast app on Big Sur, when using iTunes... can you still store and play the audiobooks in iTunes? while using the Books app for ebooks?

JUMA55

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
I am not sure if this is the correct thread in which to post this question, but I did do several searches and could find an answer to my question. So...

I ripped 2000 albums of mine totaling 37,000 songs using dbpoweramp. I imported these songs into Big Sur's Music application and created roughly 150 playlists, some with dozens of songs from various albums. I wish to copy the music and playlists to an older Mac mini running iTunes under High Sierra. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to do this? Thank you.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I'm close to updating to Big Sur actually, now that I know you can run iTunes without problems, but how does it work with iBooks and the Podcast app on Big Sur, when using iTunes... can you still store and play the audiobooks in iTunes? while using the Books app for ebooks?
I don't use any myself, but AFAIK that works just fine still:
1624840622999.png

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I really don't like how the download status icon is now hidden on the album art in the Recently Added view. The little grey circles to indicate download look stupid. It irritates me that the Apple logo isn't centered on the header of that app, also looks stupid. I wish iTunes was working on M1.. Happily working on all Intel Macs tho.

pjanoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
For a while now Sound Check was not working on tracks synced to my iPhone. After doing a bit of investigating I have discovered the bug and believe it has something to do with converting the music in your library to a lower bitrate when syncing them to your iPhone.

In my case, all my songs in Music are in Apple Lossless and I had it set to sync my music to my phone at 256kbps AAC. Music would convert these files “on the fly”. These converted music files do not carry over the volume set within the original lossless files to enable Sound Check. When I then synced the music to my phone as Apple Lossless without conversion, Sound Check worked as intended.

Another bug to add to the list!

RednBlue

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
Reading UK
Those of you opting to use iTunes rather than Music - what version are you currently using?
I've been on v11.4 since I went back to iTunes, and have experienced no problems at all but am not sure what (if any) benefits / other features are in the later versions?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Those of you opting to use iTunes rather than Music - what version are you currently using?
I've been on v11.4 since I went back to iTunes, and have experienced no problems at all but am not sure what (if any) benefits / other features are in the later versions?
12.9.9.5. As long as iTunes store is working for you I don't think you're missing out on any features. It's rock solid and much speedier than Music.

Reactions: RednBlue

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
After using it for a while, the Music app seems to reliably get into a state where it stops displaying search results from the Apple Music catalog. At that point, a "Music Web Content" process will use up a CPU core until the Music app is quit. ?

music.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.