Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
After using it for a while, the Music app seems to reliably get into a state where it stops displaying search results from the Apple Music catalog. At that point, a "Music Web Content" process will use up a CPU core until the Music app is quit. ?

I stopped using Apple Music (Swithched to Spotify) at Catalina - so I don't use the streaming side of the Music APP

I have noticed that if you press / activate "Your Library" at the top right of your screen shot - it no longer displays and searches the Apple Music Store (which it used to default to) - annoying if you mostly use for playing your own music files

I am curious to know if this speeds things up?

I have moved on to Music on Monterey - but assume thing are similar on Big Sug?

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I stopped using Apple Music (Swithched to Spotify) at Catalina - so I don't use the streaming side of the Music APP

I have noticed that if you press / activate "Your Library" at the top right of your screen shot - it no longer displays and searches the Apple Music Store (which it used to default to) - annoying if you mostly use for playing your own music files

I am curious to know if this speeds things up?

I have moved on to Music on Monterey - but assume thing are similar on Big Sug?
Yeah, that should work if you're only ever interested in your own music. Personally, I switch between the two tabs quite often, which is a maddening process in itself since the UI element isn't always available when you'd expect it to after clicking the Search field.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I've been having issues with songs added to my Music Library (Music App v1.1.6.32) on macOS 11.5 RC2 (20G71) not being Matched and just sitting in a "Waiting" status. I see the "Uploading to iCloud Music Library", which just sits there like that. A few times I've left it overnight and a number of items, even listed as Uploaded, ended up all being Matched the next day. Haven't had any luck this morning, though.

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 10.10.58 AM (1).jpeg

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I've been having issues with songs added to my Music Library (Music App v1.1.6.32) on macOS 11.5 RC2 (20G71) not being Matched and just sitting in a "Waiting" status. I see the "Uploading to iCloud Music Library", which just sits there like that. A few times I've left it overnight and a number of items, even listed as Uploaded, ended up all being Matched the next day. Haven't had any luck this morning, though.

View attachment 1809204
Same. The process will just stop and I'll have to manually start it again to resume uploading tracks.

Reactions: gank41

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Upgraded to Monterey beta 3.

Still experience the bug where the play indicator freezes at the beginning of a song, then that song and the next will play, but then everything just stops.

One observation thought: This happens mostly when playing music over Airplay to my receiver, but when I use Bluetooth to play - to the same receiver that I normally use Airplay to - it rarely (if ever) happens.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Music wasn’t working for me on 11.4 so I upgraded to 11.5. Well Akamai was down today, not sure if they use them as a CDN but that could have been the issue I hit.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
For a while now Sound Check was not working on tracks synced to my iPhone. After doing a bit of investigating I have discovered the bug and believe it has something to do with converting the music in your library to a lower bitrate when syncing them to your iPhone.

In my case, all my songs in Music are in Apple Lossless and I had it set to sync my music to my phone at 256kbps AAC. Music would convert these files “on the fly”. These converted music files do not carry over the volume set within the original lossless files to enable Sound Check. When I then synced the music to my phone as Apple Lossless without conversion, Sound Check worked as intended.

Another bug to add to the list!
speaking of Sound Check, but often it doesnt work for the first second of a song, so my ears get blasted and then it corrects itself

canyelles

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
Used to be able to do 'Get Info' on an album, go to Artwork, right click to delete artwork and then add new artwork.

Now, right click does nothing.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Used to be able to do 'Get Info' on an album, go to Artwork, right click to delete artwork and then add new artwork.

Now, right click does nothing.
I’m still able to get info and add album artwork. That’s one thing that’s been working consistently for me.

I’ve been having major issues getting Match to actually match any tracks added to my Library. Sometimes it runs for what seems like 2-3 days only to match maybe 4 of the 20 tracks added, leaving everything else as “Waiting”…

canyelles

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
I’m still able to get info and add album artwork. That’s one thing that’s been working consistently for me.

I’ve been having major issues getting Match to actually match any tracks added to my Library. Sometimes it runs for what seems like 2-3 days only to match maybe 4 of the 20 tracks added, leaving everything else as “Waiting”…
I didn't say I couldn't add artwork. I can't delete artwork that is already there

canyelles

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
Ah, thanks. Your are right, delete works

I always did it by right clicking and that no longer works

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Yeah - I miss that too - in iTunes you could also download the artwork for an individual song with the right click "Contextual Menu" - but that has been missing since Catalina an the introduction of the "Music App"

justafew

macrumors member
May 6, 2016

View attachment 1809204

Apparently this is a much larger issue as MacRumors has now raised awareness to many people reporting the same thing on Reddit and Apple support:

Reactions: gank41

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
It still does this on Music 1.2.0.146 / Monterey - during the first 2 - 3 seconds
its really bad because ive noticed it happening when i pause a track for too long

have it at a high volume that im used to, unpause, get my head blown off

ff1.jpg

Reactions: mikzn

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
I just realized that my Smart Lists are broken. I have one with Ratings >3 but it contains tracks I haven't listened yet, and therefore didn't rate.
You know why? Because I rated one other track from that album or compilation, and then all tracks from that album/compilation get an album rating (shown with grey stars instead of red ones), and all those tracks are now in my "smart" playlist.
One can choose album rating as a rule for a smart playlist, but I chose rating! Therefore I don't want unrated songs in that list.
I'm so done with this iTunes/Music.app ******** now. Everything is bugged, everything gets worse and worse with every update, even the paid iTunes match service doesn't work anymore.
It's so sad to see how such a great software can become so bad.
I was a big fan of iTunes from the first version, it was exactly like I always imagined how a music playing software should be. That's what Apple did back then, they made the software exactly as I thought it should be. Other companies just didn't get it. But now Apple is just like the rest. The usability is ****, absolutely no attention to detail anymore, and adding tons of bugs.
All this wouldn't be so bad if there was just another one which does it right, but there isn't. Apple got so bad, and they are still the least bad ones out there. It's infuriating!

AngrofMayfair

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2019
Melbourne Australia
I agree, the Music app is a total mess, hard to believe that anything could be worse than iTunes but this is... :(
So many bugs it's hard to know where to start...
Also for anyone hoping that Monterey will fix all the problems - forget it - all the same bugs are there....:(

Probably best to finish with Apple Music and pay for something decent like Roon....

AngrofMayfair

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Update, just spent a few hours with the 14 day trial of Roon, what a brilliant bit of software! It’s *everything* that Apple Music should be and so far seems to be totally bug-free - amazing and so refreshing after persisting somlong with this Apple POS Music app….
The *only* issue is - it’s a subscription based program…
Probably worth the cost. Will continue to use and learn until I make a decision
Apple should buy these guys and use it as Apple Music without changing a thing, just leave it alone, it works!

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
I looked into Roon like 2 or 3 years ago. Like reading reviews and stuff, I didn't actually test the software yet.
The problem with Roon is, I want my music on my iPhone too, but Roon has nothing to sync it.

Recently I found Doppler, which has a Mac and an iPhone app, I will try that one when I find the time for it.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I looked into Roon like 2 or 3 years ago. Like reading reviews and stuff, I didn't actually test the software yet.
The problem with Roon is, I want my music on my iPhone too, but Roon has nothing to sync it.

Recently I found Doppler, which has a Mac and an iPhone app, I will try that one when I find the time for it.
huh?

1628558047843.png

StormRyder

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
Spoken to Apple Support again this morning. This time they captured a log-file and will transfer the issue to development. Hopefully this will lead to a solution, but I think this will take some time.
I just installed update 11.5.1 and the radiostations which were broken are working again!!
This afternoon, before installing the update, I checked and it didn't work. So looks like this update fixed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.