Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

StormRyder

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
Problem with some radiostations after BigSur 11.4/AM 1.1.5.74
After upgrading to 11.4 and Apple Music 1.1.5.74 some of the radiostations (TuneIn) won't start.
I have tried multiple ones and only half of them work.

The following work:
Kink - https://music.apple.com/nl/station/kink/ra.1461146131
QMusic Non-stop - https://music.apple.com/nl/station/qmusic-non-stop/ra.1461546950
100% NL - https://music.apple.com/nl/station/100-nl/ra.1460981508

But the following do not work:
Radio Veronica - https://music.apple.com/nl/station/radio-veronica/ra.1461198804
NPO Radio 1 - https://music.apple.com/nl/station/npo-radio-1/ra.1461225009

I have tried the same stations at tunein.com and the stations do work over there.
They also work when I try it from my iPhone (Music app and Sonos app) and even my old MacMini (Catalina with only iTunes).

Support from Apple is a joke
I contacted support and this didn't help much; spend an hour on the phone and all they could come up with was;
- log out of AM, restart and log in again (didn't work)
- make a new user and try it from that profile (didn't work)
- re-install the complete OS (didn't work)

I asked them if they could confirm the stations do work on their machine with BigSur 11.4 and AM 1.1.5.74 installed. If that was the case then the problem would be with my profile and/or device. But if this was not the case it could be a wider problem between Apple Music and TuneIn.com. To my big surprise the senior support adviser told me that they do not have access to Apple Music so they could not check if the stations are working for them.
How is this possible; a helpdesk without access the product your supporting (Apple Music in this case)?

Help with testing if stations work?
Can anyone with an Apple Music account, working on a MacBook (pro 15-inch, 2016) and on BigSur 11.4 with Apple Music 1.1.5.74; that the stations Radio Veronica or NPO Radio 1 still work?
Fixed in MacOS 11.5.1

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
I just realized that my Smart Lists are broken. I have one with Ratings >3 but it contains tracks I haven't listened yet, and therefore didn't rate.
You know why? Because I rated one other track from that album or compilation, and then all tracks from that album/compilation get an album rating (shown with grey stars instead of red ones), and all those tracks are now in my "smart" playlist.
One can choose album rating as a rule for a smart playlist, but I chose rating! Therefore I don't want unrated songs in that list.
Funny enough, iTunes on Windows has the same problem but Music on iPhone works as I would expect it.
So smart playlists act different on different devices.
Maybe this will be fixed when Music for Mac is completly replaced by the iOS version...

justafew

macrumors member
May 6, 2016
I just realized that my Smart Lists are broken. I have one with Ratings >3 but it contains tracks I haven't listened yet, and therefore didn't rate.
You know why? Because I rated one other track from that album or compilation, and then all tracks from that album/compilation get an album rating (shown with grey stars instead of red ones), and all those tracks are now in my "smart" playlist.
One can choose album rating as a rule for a smart playlist, but I chose rating! Therefore I don't want unrated songs in that list.
I'm so done with this iTunes/Music.app ******** now. Everything is bugged, everything gets worse and worse with every update, even the paid iTunes match service doesn't work anymore.
It's so sad to see how such a great software can become so bad.
I was a big fan of iTunes from the first version, it was exactly like I always imagined how a music playing software should be. That's what Apple did back then, they made the software exactly as I thought it should be. Other companies just didn't get it. But now Apple is just like the rest. The usability is ****, absolutely no attention to detail anymore, and adding tons of bugs.
All this wouldn't be so bad if there was just another one which does it right, but there isn't. Apple got so bad, and they are still the least bad ones out there. It's infuriating!
This is strange as almost all of my Smart Playlists have a 'rating' criteria and I don't have this issue. I have some with ratings that don't show unrated songs and I have another playlist specifically for songs not yet rated and even if I rate one song on an album, the remaining songs stay in this playlist until I rate them.

Reactions: Lvivske

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
It's like all the music in my local library has gotten quieter after updating, I don't even know how to explain it. All the Apple Music streamed music sounds much louder, it's very bizarre. Anyone else heard of something like this?

mikey8811

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2019
I am unable to add mp3's to Music after the 11.6 Big Sur upgrade.

Nothing happens when I drag and drop.

My music is on an external HD.

I have called Apple Support and they have no clue what is happening even after a couple of hour long sessions when they had access to my screen.

Anyone else experience the same?

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I am unable to add mp3's to Music after the 11.6 Big Sur upgrade.

Nothing happens when I drag and drop.

My music is on an external HD.

I have called Apple Support and they have no clue what is happening even after a couple of hour long sessions when they had access to my screen.

Anyone else experience the same?
I have a Very Large Music Library on an External Drive and have not had this issue.

mikey8811

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2019
I have a Very Large Music Library on an External Drive and have not had this issue.
Good to hear you do not have the same issue.

Would you know how I can troubleshoot?

I checked "Preferences" and my library location is pointed correctly at the external HD. I can also play songs that I imported before I did the Big Sur 11.6 update so I guess my HD is not the issue.

I just cannot add new songs as nothing happens.

I moved over from the old iTunes - is that likely to be the problem?

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Good to hear you do not have the same issue.

Would you know how I can troubleshoot?

I checked "Preferences" and my library location is pointed correctly at the external HD. I can also play songs that I imported before I did the Big Sur 11.6 update so I guess my HD is not the issue.

I just cannot add new songs as nothing happens.

I moved over from the old iTunes - is that likely to be the problem?
I'm also using a migrated library from iTunes. I've got over 80,000 tracks in my library, too. All I ever use is the "Add to Music Library" folder. Nothing fancy.

mikey8811

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2019
I'm also using a migrated library from iTunes. I've got over 80,000 tracks in my library, too. All I ever use is the "Add to Music Library" folder. Nothing fancy.
Have you added tracks since the Big Sur 11.6 update?

derekww

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2014
Ratings are missing in this view: View As Albums > Click an album to reveal its song list. In this view I used to see track number, song name, rating, track time (I'm pretty sure). But now I don't see rating being shown anymore. How do I make it show ratings in that view?

justafew

macrumors member
May 6, 2016
Ratings are missing in this view: View As Albums > Click an album to reveal its song list. In this view I used to see track number, song name, rating, track time (I'm pretty sure). But now I don't see rating being shown anymore. How do I make it show ratings in that view?
So if I go into a Playlist and click on View As Albums and click an album to view the song list, I still see track number, song name, rating and track time. So I'm not sure why you don't see ratings. Can you see star ratings in other views? If so, that's very odd.

Reactions: derekww

derekww

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2014
So if I go into a Playlist and click on View As Albums and click an album to view the song list, I still see track number, song name, rating and track time. So I'm not sure why you don't see ratings. Can you see star ratings in other views? If so, that's very odd.
Yes, I do see ratings in other views, e.g. View As Songs, Get Info for each song, etc. Very odd and annoying!

This problem started immediately after I used the Music library in another Mac over a network. What I did was: I quit Music on the original Mac, mounted the shared volume on a remote Mac, launched Music on the remote Mac using the remote library, used it for a few hours just to sync the library onto an iPhone, quit Music, unmounted the shared volume, went back to the original Mac and launched Music again, I then realized ratings are not showing in the said view anymore.

derekww

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2014
Yes, I do see ratings in other views, e.g. View As Songs, Get Info for each song, etc. Very odd and annoying!

This problem started immediately after I used the Music library in another Mac over a network. What I did was: I quit Music on the original Mac, mounted the shared volume on a remote Mac, launched Music on the remote Mac using the remote library, used it for a few hours just to sync the library onto an iPhone, quit Music, unmounted the shared volume, went back to the original Mac and launched Music again, I then realized ratings are not showing in the said view anymore.
Solved: I have to switch on: Preferences > General > Show Star Ratings. I'm sure it was switched on before, but somehow Music decided to switch this off for me ... flaky app!

Reactions: justafew

justafew

macrumors member
May 6, 2016
Solved: I have to switch on: Preferences > General > Show Star Ratings. I'm sure it was switched on before, but somehow Music decided to switch this off for me ... flaky app!
I thought about suggesting you check that, but since you could see them in other views it wouldn't make sense as a suggestion.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
Is it just me, or is there no longer a way to search the iTunes Store?

When you search an artist (upper left search bar), only the results in your library shows up. And when you click the artist's name from the search results (hoping to aggregate all of their available music in the store) it still only shows what's in your library.

So have they turned the search bar on the upper left hand side of the app into 'Search your Library' only, even though the iTunes Store is in view?

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
When you search an artist (upper left search bar), only the results in your library shows up.

When you search using that search bar, two buttons on the top right appear "Apple Music" and "Your Library" which switches where you want to search.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
When you search using that search bar, two buttons on the top right appear "Apple Music" and "Your Library" which switches where you want to search.
Bingo. I had to Google how to search the Store the first time I tried. It's terrible design.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
Ah, yes, that's where I thought it was, but it wasn't showing up for me. I just restarted and now see it. But yeah, terrible design. Navigating through this app from the iTunes Store to your library is just terrible.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I've done some more testing around this: It fails after one search, once you select an album. I'm pretty sure it was fine in 12.3.0, which means Apple's sneaked another undocumented change into 12.3.1 (and broken things in the process). Feedback submitted for Apple to ignore as usual.
Isn't this the Big Sur thread? So what's with your, "it was fine in 12.3.0" and "12.3.1" both of which are Monterey versions?
A moderator is expected to follow the rules about posting, to avoid confusion right? Sorry if that sounds snarky, but it is your mistake and that version change is confusing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.