Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Absolutely nothing. If uMatrix is the end-all blocker (which it has been, from what I've used of it), then by default, BluHell should be cornered.

It should speed TFF up, because that's one less add-on to initialize.
IDK. BluHell was always pretty light, which was one of the reasons I chose it over ABP. But we will see what happens.

Was that your experience when you removed it?

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
IDK. BluHell was always pretty light, which was one of the reasons I chose it over ABP. But we will see what happens.

Was that your experience when you removed it?

Yes. I would not have done that if it wasn't redundant.

But I don't know, I've got a dual core here, and I think it's pretty smooth sailing on my end. No ads, let alone trackers to speak of. Same story for my 1.5 G4.

Reactions: eyoungren

madhatmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
I've found that I'll get that if I have uMatrix going. I commonly have to turn on Media, Script, and XHR to get it working again.

You're right, it was just uMatrix stopping Youtube video! But watching video on my machine is so choppy and broken it's unwatchable unfortunately.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
You're right, it was just uMatrix stopping Youtube video! But watching video on my machine is so choppy and broken it's unwatchable unfortunately.

Youtube is choppy now in TFF on my Dual 1.42 - if you must use TFF, greasemonkey/viewtube script is the way to go or use an alternative player/switch to LWK/Roccat if you have Leopard installed.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I stopped watching YT video or any video for that matter in TenFourFox years ago. It's just not worth it trying to get this old Buick up and going on the Autobahn for that.

Plenty of alternatives that work. And accepting workarounds or more than one app to do something is part of using these old Macs.

Additionally, I know that they are old, but most PowerPC Macs are still capable of having more than one app open at a time.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I stumbled upon this thread earlier today whilst looking for tips on speeding up TFF on my G4 1.5Ghz Powerbook. Even on the forum here, it seems to run a bit sluggish. So could I trouble someone for a little advice where I might start?
Read the first post and decide just how far you are willing to go.

Once you decide, then there's a solution for it as shown in the first post. If you have any specific questions after that then post back.

Haemoglobin

macrumors regular
As recommended I've installed uMatrix, (not sure how i use that) didn't see any instructions on what to do with it after installing. Does it work out the box?

Tried downloading the user.js.zip from dropbox but for some reason TFF doesn't want to download it, not sure why. I just click, direct download and nothing seems to happen.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
As recommended I've installed uMatrix, (not sure how i use that) didn't see any instructions on what to do with it after installing. Does it work out the box?

Tried downloading the user.js.zip from dropbox but for some reason TFF doesn't want to download it, not sure why. I just click, direct download and nothing seems to happen.
The default for uMatrix is to deny a connection, except for the main website you're at.

You'll need to add the icon to one of your toolbars. You approve whether something will load or not by clicking on the icon, finding the columns where there are numbers (that tells you how many elements are being block by what website). Clicking that to make it green allows it to load (click on the reload icon) or making it red keeps it from loading.

If you have uMatrix installed and are trying to download the zip file then uMatrix is probably blocking Dropbox by default because you haven't set Dropbox to load. Take a look at uMatrix's settings when on Dropbox. I just downloaded the file.

Haemoglobin

macrumors regular
It is installed but when I click on the icon, nothing appears, no grid, just the icons across the top. I have a funny feeling I've got the wrong version installed. What version of uMatrix are you running?

Bare in mind, I'm using the latest stable release of TFF, which is version 10, not 11. Hopefully that shouldn't make a massive difference.

Since copying egoungren's prefs.js file, I think I have noticed a difference, but only subtle. Typing a post on the forum, still has the text catching up with me on screen.

I'm working with a G4 1.5gz & 2GB ram

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Since copying egoungren's prefs.js file, I think I have noticed a difference, but only subtle. Typing a post on the forum, still has the text catching up with me on screen.
In your preferences for your account here on MacRumors, you need to uncheck "Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages".

That particular preference is a bit of JS code that is always running, which slows the typing down.

You'll have to learn to hand code any bold, italics and smilies when you turn it off though.

Haemoglobin

macrumors regular
What version of uMatrix should I run? I know I've not used the addon before, but given the screen shots I have seen of it working. I should be getting a list of sites or something under the top menu, but I'm not getting a sausage, nada, zero, zilch.

I should probably say, I've tried my best to skim the highlights of this thread, so I'm not expecting my PB to suddenly perform like a juiced up i7. But if I can, say visit deviantart.com and upload my art without my laptop acting like a constipated cow trapped in a sink hole. I'll be really happy :)

Bah! wWhen did the internet suddenly become more bloated than an fresh installation of Windows? At times it's like wading through treacle on roller skates.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I should probably say, I've tried my best to skim the highlights of this thread, so I'm not expecting my PB to suddenly perform like a juiced up i7.

Have you also tried Leopard Webkit? It's much faster than TFF but not as site friendly.
TFF is never going to speed up by a great deal - handling errant javascript is really your best solution and blocking ads (look up using custom hosts file.)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Doesn't uMatrix do that? Though I still need to know whether I'm using the right version of uMatrix as I'm sure my install isn't actually working..

Use a custom host file in relation to what and with what application?

Yes, uMatrix is designed for that but I can't offer advice there - I always used NoScript instead. Blocking javascript is a tedious process initially getting the blocker to learn the rules for all the sites you regularly visit but it pays off eventually.

Learn about the hosts file here:

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Once installed it covers any browser you use.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.