Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Camacorn

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Ocala, FL
Rich Text Editor was enabled, but I never use it anyway, I used to manage a pretty big forum, and used BBCode daily, it's pretty much second nature. Just disabled that. As far as the theme, definitely going to look into it, a lot easier on the eyes.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Rich Text Editor was enabled, but I never use it anyway, I used to manage a pretty big forum, and used BBCode daily, it's pretty much second nature. Just disabled that. As far as the theme, definitely going to look into it, a lot easier on the eyes.
You should notice a sharp decrease in CPU here on MR then. Once that's off there's minimal background items running.

If you have any questions on the black theme, ask in the thread you find. The title should be Black Max OS X.

Camacorn

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Ocala, FL
Much better! Now to find some 60x60x25 fans to quiet down this obnoxious power supply. Normally I am not bothered by the sound of fans, but the specific frequency it puts out, is damn near enough to drive you insane. And it's only running 34c!

Picture 8.png

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Much better! Now to find some 60x60x25 fans to quiet down this obnoxious power supply. Normally I am not bothered by the sound of fans, but the specific frequency it puts out, is damn near enough to drive you insane. And it's only running 34c!

View attachment 746298
If by chance it is your MDD that's the problem, then maybe check out this thread (starting at post #11 for a mod I did to a MDD to rid myself of the very same problem.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mdd-problem-ps-cooling-prototype.1923731/#post-22016022

Camacorn

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Ocala, FL
If by chance it is your MDD that's the problem, then maybe check out this thread (starting at post #11 for a mod I did to a MDD to rid myself of the very same problem.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mdd-problem-ps-cooling-prototype.1923731/#post-22016022

I'll definitely have to try something like that soon. I have it running pretty cool, it's still loud though.

To make it run cooler, I removed the internal speaker, giving it another source of intake. I also removed the optical bay cradle, as I literally never use it, this allows the power supply to breath in cooler air. If you look inside an MDD when the door is closed, with the optical drive installed, and the size of the graphics cards, it creates a compartment up there, and the ONLY intake air the power supply gets, is from the vented PCI slots.

You can see my Temp. Monitor in the menu bar.

Picture 10.png
(Click to enlarge)

Camacorn

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Ocala, FL
EDIT: Not my thread, so I wont post anymore about it. Just wanted to let y'all know, I got this thing running at 31c just by adding an intake fan. That as well applying new thermal compound, and enabling nap mode has brought the temperature down from the 41c+ it was previously.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
A few new ones I took from this page: http://www.techworm.net/2016/02/12-...-tips-and-tricks-to-protect-your-privacy.html

Like the previous privacy tweak these seem to speed things up slightly. Not that disabling some of them while increasing privacy decreases security.

geo.enabled = false
browser.safebrowsing.enabled = false
browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled = false
dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled = false
browser.send_pings = false
dom.battery.enabled = false

Speedy! :)
[doublepost=1462049057][/doublepost]My personal prefs file has been updated in Dropbox with the changes in post #157.

On my daily regular use machine with the latest FireFox Quantum 58.01, I have the above 6 tweaks set as indicated, and I note these are set for privacy in mind rather than security.
However on an Intel MBPro running a much older OS and FireFox 48.0.2 - which I understand will no longer be updated (last security update April 2017), would it not be advisable to set at least parameters #2 and #3 to 'true' for added security rather than privacy?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
…would it not be advisable to set at least parameters #2 and #3 to 'true' for added security rather than privacy?
For security sure. You can switch those to true.

I think it depends on where your priority lies. Privacy or security? In the context of the two you mention, making them true means engaging Google malware and phishing protection. That means Google has some sort of access to your browsing behavior.

Reactions: CooperBox

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
For security sure. You can switch those to true.

I think it depends on where your priority lies. Privacy or security? In the context of the two you mention, making them true means engaging Google malware and phishing protection. That means Google has some sort of access to your browsing behavior.

I'm not exactly agreeing with 'Google has some sort of access to your browsing behavior'. True, the blocklist comes from a google service, so they probably get some information from the browser sending requests to google. However there's a difference to this as Fx keeps this database locally and updates it on a regular basis. So, yeah, google will know about your very existence on the planet in a way, but googling something reveals a lot more about you than this.

(from) https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-does-phishing-and-malware-protection-work

I estimate it's still pretty much appropriate to disable these as they add a bit of network latency, as long as you don't browse dubious places that pop aggressive ads or try to find cracked apps on random sites. That's my opinion.

The late built-in adblock C.K. is implementing is effective. I've been using it for a couple days and I feel comfortable with setting back privacy.trackingprotection.enabled to false. Sites load faster.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I'm not exactly agreeing with 'Google has some sort of access to your browsing behavior'. True, the blocklist comes from a google service, so they probably get some information from the browser sending requests to google. However there's a difference to this as Fx keeps this database locally and updates it on a regular basis. So, yeah, google will know about your very existence on the planet in a way, but googling something reveals a lot more about you than this.

(from) https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-does-phishing-and-malware-protection-work

I estimate it's still pretty much appropriate to disable these as they add a bit of network latency, as long as you don't browse dubious places that pop aggressive ads or try to find cracked apps on random sites. That's my opinion.

The late built-in adblock C.K. is implementing is effective. I've been using it for a couple days and I feel comfortable with setting back privacy.trackingprotection.enabled to false. Sites load faster.
?????

You are quoting me Firefox and no doubt you are correct. But the link you give seems to relate to the latest versions of Firefox.

This thread concerns TenFourFox and PowerPC Macs. Are you saying that the same content you linked to also applies to TenFourFox?

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
@eyoungren Hmmm it pretty much applies to TenFourFox also as the article applies to the use of scam and malware protection services, not to a particular Firefox feature. Otherwise I believe as in most articles it would cite what version it applies to.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Hi Eyoungren,
Fwiw I've just refurbished a 14 year old Thinkpad & added FFox to the P4 Win XP system, then applied the FF tweaks mentioned here. Result: I'm truly amazed at how well this old girl is performing, especially using this forum, and web browsing in general. On this and all my Powerbooks in addition to your tweaks I have been happily browsing with the added security of Qwant, which has replaced DucDuckGo as my default browser.
Once again, many thanks for your efforts here in sharing your tweaks & add-on experiences which has vastly improved our surfing practises across different platforms.
Sent from the very same IBM G40 - not the ZX81! :)

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
am using 2 versions of TFF - version 17 with about plugins changed to plugins=enabled (so i can use Greasemonkey and Viewtube Script for Youtube playback thanks to Quicktime Plugin) and latest Version for Internet Banking and whenever needed.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I just downloaded TFF FPR7 and noticed the built in ad blocker. I’m not a regular TFF user (I mostly stick to WebKit on my Leopard PowerPC Macs), but this built-in feature is appealing to me.

How does it fare against the recommended plugin adblockers?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I just downloaded TFF FPR7 and noticed the built in ad blocker. I’m not a regular TFF user (I mostly stick to WebKit on my Leopard PowerPC Macs), but this built-in feature is appealing to me.

How does it fare against the recommended plugin adblockers?
I do not know.

I have it enabled, but I also have BluHell and uMatrix still installed so there's probably quite a lot of overlap.

madhatmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
I applied all the config tweaks and T4F is a little bit snappier. I also added uMatrix and BlueHell Firewall. Thanks @eyoungren

There was one tweak I didn't find:
browser.cache.memory.capacity, 0

But I did find this one:
browser.cache.memory.enable, true
Should that be made false to achieve the same thing?

Overall I'm finding T4F getting more and more unusable. Many sites don't work with it. And how do folks view youtube video?

I'm on a G4 MDD dual 1.42GHz

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I applied all the config tweaks and T4F is a little bit snappier. I also added uMatrix and BlueHell Firewall. Thanks @eyoungren

There was one tweak I didn't find:
browser.cache.memory.capacity, 0

But I did find this one:
browser.cache.memory.enable, true
Should that be made false to achieve the same thing?

Overall I'm finding T4F getting more and more unusable. Many sites don't work with it. And how do folks view youtube video?

I'm on a G4 MDD dual 1.42GHz
If the preference you are searching for does not exist, you have to create it. In the case of browser.cache.memory.capacity it SHOULD exist already. Make sure you are not searching for the value when you type it in. If it's still not there, then create a new integer, name it: browser.cache.memory.capacity and give the value as zero.

As far as YouTube, this may be why you find T4Fx to be getting more and more unusable. I don't use T4Fx for YouTube. I switch to either my iPad or my Intel Mac using Chrome or I use a Webkit based browser.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I find that BluHell doesn't do much that uMatrix doesn't already do, so I don't bother installing it. Instead, I'm usually on a duo of uMatrix and Decentraleyes, which uses local emulation of content delivery networks to speed up browsing. Less crap being exchanged over bandwidth, I guess.

I also make a new integer called tenfourfox.media.decode.delay, 10, which gives videos some time to fully buffer before playback, which I find makes YouTube much more manageable to process. And as already obvious, the larger the number, the larger the buffer time.

So I thought that was interesting.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I find that BluHell doesn't do much that uMatrix doesn't already do, so I don't bother installing it. Instead, I'm usually on a duo of uMatrix and Decentraleyes, which uses local emulation of content delivery networks to speed up browsing. Less crap being exchanged over bandwidth, I guess.

I also make a new integer called tenfourfox.media.decode.delay, 10, which gives videos some time to fully buffer before playback, which I find makes YouTube much more manageable to process. And as already obvious, the larger the number, the larger the buffer time.

So I thought that was interesting.

Explained thoroughly here:

http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2017/10/tenfourfox-fpr4b1-available.html

madhatmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
I find it strange you can't already play Youtube ok in T4F - my Dual 1.42 manages.

If I go to Youtube's webpage it will be completely blank. Or if I go to MacRumors news page the embedded videos will be disabled. I thought that was just because T4F doesn't support plugins like Flash anymore?

I'll check out SMTube. Thanks
[doublepost=1529405435][/doublepost]
If it's still not there, then create a new integer, name it: browser.cache.memory.capacity and give the value as zero.

As far as YouTube, this may be why you find T4Fx to be getting more and more unusable. I don't use T4Fx for YouTube. I switch to either my iPad or my Intel Mac using Chrome or I use a Webkit based browser.

Thanks, the integer wasn't there so I added it.

And it isn't just YouTube, I find a lot of websites are broken now with T4F. (Not to mention painfully slow still.)

My dream was to keep my G4 MDD Dual 1.42 as my main machine forever. Perhaps that was a naive dream - time to buy a brand new Mac for all web browsing, I think.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
If I go to Youtube's webpage it will be completely blank. Or if I go to MacRumors news page the embedded videos will be disabled. I thought that was just because T4F doesn't support plugins like Flash anymore?

I'll check out SMTube. Thanks
[doublepost=1529405435][/doublepost]

Thanks, the integer wasn't there so I added it.

And it isn't just YouTube, I find a lot of websites are broken now with T4F. (Not to mention painfully slow still.)

My dream was to keep my G4 MDD Dual 1.42 as my main machine forever. Perhaps that was a naive dream - time to buy a brand new Mac for all web browsing, I think.

That might be because of the TFF tweaks you've applied - they might be turning off javascript which is going to break most sites?

Last edited:
Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017

I've found that I'll get that if I have uMatrix going. I commonly have to turn on Media, Script, and XHR to get it working again.

It keeps all the nasty Google trackers and ads at bay though, so I suppose it's more positive than negative, which is why I keep it around. Supposed to be lighter than uBlock Origin too. And from my experiences, BluHell seems to be almost useless, so uMatrix is my main blocker now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
And from my experiences, BluHell seems to be almost useless, so uMatrix is my main blocker now.
That has not been my experience (BluHell Firewall). I was using that before uMatrix and the only website it did not work on then was Facebook.

That said, after swallowing my pride, I have to admit you are probably correct in your earlier post about uMatrix duplicating BluHell's functions.

Going to see what happens tonight if I remove it and let uMatrix do the work.

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
That has not been my experience (BluHell Firewall). I was using that before uMatrix and the only website it did not work on then was Facebook.

That said, after swallowing my pride, I have to admit you are probably correct in your earlier post about uMatrix duplicating BluHell's functions.

Going to see what happens tonight if I remove it and let uMatrix do the work.

Absolutely nothing. If uMatrix is the end-all blocker (which it has been, from what I've used of it), then by default, BluHell should be cornered.

It should speed TFF up, because that's one less add-on to initialize.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.