Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s¡juandelarocha

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2017
Thanks again Eyoungren.

I decided to "educate" mi father to read the email using Mail: it's much more convenient, faster and clean.

So now he'll be using the browser to newspaper reading and some website browsing... From that point of view, deleting all kind of cookies and local storage seems the way to improve performance...

Reactions: eyoungren

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I've just completed a clean install of OS X 10.6.8 on a 2006/7 17" MBPro. And under Firefox 48.0.2 enhanced the update by the addition of the Blue Hell and uMatrix add-ons, and (of course) your excellent tweeks by the provided prefs.js file.
And here's the query. After a reboot everything looks ok, and checking through the about:config list, and comparing with your Part II Config list of tweeks, I noticed the following:
network.dnsCacheEntries set to 256, whilst your recommendation is 10
network.dnsCacheExpiration set to 86400, whilst your recommendation is 15

Given that we are talking an Intel powered 17" MBook here and not ppc, do you advise that I change these 2 values to your recommendation, or leave as found?
Thanks.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I've just completed a clean install of OS X 10.6.8 on a 2006/7 17" MBPro. And under Firefox 48.0.2 enhanced the update by the addition of the Blue Hell and uMatrix add-ons, and (of course) your excellent tweeks by the provided prefs.js file.
And here's the query. After a reboot everything looks ok, and checking through the about:config list, and comparing with your Part II Config list of tweeks, I noticed the following:
network.dnsCacheEntries set to 256, whilst your recommendation is 10
network.dnsCacheExpiration set to 86400, whilst your recommendation is 15

Given that we are talking an Intel powered 17" MBook here and not ppc, do you advise that I change these 2 values to your recommendation, or leave as found?
Thanks.
Actually, use these values:

network.dnsCacheExpirationGracePeriod: 3600
network.dnsCacheExpiration: 3600
network.dnsCacheEntries: 1000

From Post #223.

If you are using the Intel prefs file, understand it's somewhat behind my regular prefs file.

EDIT. I will make these changes on my MBP tonight myself and then repost the prefs file.

Last edited:
Reactions: CooperBox

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Actually, use these values:

network.dnsCacheExpirationGracePeriod: 3600
network.dnsCacheExpiration: 3600
network.dnsCacheEntries: 1000

From Post #223.

If you are using the Intel prefs file, understand it's somewhat behind my regular prefs file.

EDIT. I will make these changes on my MBP tonight myself and then repost the prefs file.

Many thanks for this. Looks like I overlooked that particular #223 post.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Eyoungren, I've been a user of Blue Hell firewall/ad blocker ever since you recommended it for efficiency and especially lightness. No problems, it just seems to work as designed.
Now having installed the latest version of TFF PF4, I note that uMatrix is still present, but Bluehell is no longer supported under the latest version. Would you be able to suggest an alternative lightweight ad-blocker?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Eyoungren, I've been a user of Blue Hell firewall/ad blocker ever since you recommended it for efficiency and especially lightness. No problems, it just seems to work as designed.
Now having installed the latest version of TFF PF4, I note that uMatrix is still present, but Bluehell is no longer supported under the latest version. Would you be able to suggest an alternative lightweight ad-blocker?
Just keep using BluHell.

If it's saying you can't install it you need to turn off compatibility checking.

I use this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/checkcompatibility/

I also have this tweak set: extensions.checkCompatibility to false

If none of that works to allow you to force install BluHell, let me kow. There may be another setting.

I'm still using BluHell with the latest T4Fx.

Oh yeah, this addon too: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/skip-addon-check/?src=api

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Hi,

on my PPC G4 runs the current TenFourFox version. There is a page that does not open for me and that is "icloud.com"

Does anyone know advice? Thank you
iCloud.com has a very intense moving background. It's pegging one of my cores at 100% and is slow moving and slow to load. And I have a G5 Quad with 16GB of ram.

If you have not optimized your install of TenFourFox at all I can see that your G4 is probably being hammered very hard by the demand for processing power.

You don't say if you have a single or dual processor G4 so I am guessing it's a single. The page will probably load if you let it sit there long enough but your processor will be pegged at 100% for a while.

All that said, I was able to login with 2FA and ping all three of my iPhones using Find My iPhone. I looked at my email and then logged out.

But again, I have a Quad G5 and am using an optimized prefs file for T4Fx.

Camacorn

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Ocala, FL
I just want to make sure I am understanding this fully. All that is really necessary, outside of downloading add-ons, is to copy your prefs.js to the directory, and use T4F normally?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I just want to make sure I am understanding this fully. All that is really necessary, outside of downloading add-ons, is to copy your prefs.js to the directory, and use T4F normally?
Correct.

My prefs.js file has all the tweaks covered in the posts in this thread.

EDIT: Keep in mind that I don't use T4Fx for media (video watching, audio streaming, etc) so my tweaks disable as much of that as possible. If you're planning on using T4Fx for media, you probably want to create another profile or not use my tweaks.

Camacorn

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Ocala, FL
Correct.

EDIT: Keep in mind that I don't use T4Fx for media (video watching, audio streaming, etc) so my tweaks disable as much of that as possible. If you're planning on using T4Fx for media, you probably want to create another profile or not use my tweaks.

This machine in particular could only dream of doing anything like that. (G4 Cube). I have been using it for the past few hours though, downloading some necessary software for the PowerPC Challenge. I am still trying to track down a processor upgrade.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Correct.

The last time I used your tweaked pref file it had all javascript turned off - does that sound right?
I now use my own custom prefs which are some of yours and others found on the web but I think with javascript turned off people should know that with the speed gains most websites will be broken.

PatrickPowerPCG4

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2017
Frankfurt am Main
iCloud.com has a very intense moving background. It's pegging one of my cores at 100% and is slow moving and slow to load. And I have a G5 Quad with 16GB of ram.

If you have not optimized your install of TenFourFox at all I can see that your G4 is probably being hammered very hard by the demand for processing power.

You don't say if you have a single or dual processor G4 so I am guessing it's a single. The page will probably load if you let it sit there long enough but your processor will be pegged at 100% for a while.

All that said, I was able to login with 2FA and ping all three of my iPhones using Find My iPhone. I looked at my email and then logged out.

But again, I have a Quad G5 and am using an optimized prefs file for T4Fx.
Thanks again for your support. Yes, I have a single processor, but with a Sonnet 1GHz. But that will not be enough power :)

I notice that the site tries to load into different representations, but without success.

Is there a setting in TenFourFox that I should change?

What does the abbreviation 2FA mean? THX again :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
The last time I used your tweaked pref file it had all javascript turned off - does that sound right?
I now use my own custom prefs which are some of yours and others found on the web but I think with javascript turned off people should know that with the speed gains most websites will be broken.
Sounds about right.

Unfortunately, I cannot ever provide an exact reckoning of what I've done. I got started on all this around 2009 and it's just been finding things and tweaking as I go. It may have been turned on again at some point because there are sites I use that do require JS and they are working. You may wish to try it again.

Keep in mind if you're using NoScript it doesn't matter what I've turned off or on if NoScript is blocking JS. Same with uMatrix.
[doublepost=1514735505][/doublepost]
Thanks again for your support. Yes, I have a single processor, but with a Sonnet 1GHz. But that will not be enough power :)

I notice that the site tries to load into different representations, but without success.

Is there a setting in TenFourFox that I should change?

What does the abbreviation 2FA mean? THX again :)
You can try optimizing TenFourFox. See post #1 in this thread.

2FA stands for Two Factor Authentication which is a security measure for logging in to websites.

Reactions: Dronecatcher

PatrickPowerPCG4

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2017
Frankfurt am Main
Sounds about right.

Unfortunately, I cannot ever provide an exact reckoning of what I've done. I got started on all this around 2009 and it's just been finding things and tweaking as I go. It may have been turned on again at some point because there are sites I use that do require JS and they are working. You may wish to try it again.

Keep in mind if you're using NoScript it doesn't matter what I've turned off or on if NoScript is blocking JS. Same with uMatrix.
[doublepost=1514735505][/doublepost]
You can try optimizing TenFourFox. See post #1 in this thread.

2FA stands for Two Factor Authentication which is a security measure for logging in to websites.

Understand. Thank you :)

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Just to clarify, are we talking about the 'javascript.options.jit.chrome' file here? I notice on this PBook5,8 with prefs.js file installed, that particular javascript file is set to 'true'.
Here I'm running TFF45.9 and just spent a very pleasant hour watching YTube clips using your excellent YTPlayer scripts. In fact on this PBook I've been tempted to download & install TFF FPR4.1 or even FPR5b1, but hesitate as I don't wish either of these to render those YTPlayer scripts unusable.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Just to clarify, are we talking about the 'javascript.options.jit.chrome' file here? I notice on this PBook5,8 with prefs.js file installed, that particular javascript file is set to 'true'.
Here I'm running TFF45.9 and just spent a very pleasant hour watching YTube clips using your excellent YTPlayer scripts. In fact on this PBook I've been tempted to download & install TFF FPR4.1 or even FPR5b1, but hesitate as I don't wish either of these to render those YTPlayer scripts unusable.
I'm not aware of any javascript.options.jit.chrome file. I know that's a tweak setting. It's 'true' because this was a setting Kaiser made at one point for the JIT feature he had added (to make Javascript faster to process). I enabled it.

Not sure if it's relevant any more.

Camacorn

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Ocala, FL
Hi Erik, I am hoping you can help me. I am running T4F FPR5 with your prefs.js file, BluHell, and uMatrix. My issue is, things seems to be crawling along, now I don't expect modern computer speeds, but I literally just finished typing a paragraph in Windows Live Mail, and the machine was still typing out the first sentence by the time I was done. I opend Activity Monitor to see what was going on, however it seems I am only using 51% of my CPU resources, and 50% of my available RAM, so it isn't crippling my resources.

I took a screenshot of me trying to open Google Mail, and sitting on this white screen for about 2 minutes before my mail box opened, and you can see that it's not using much.

Screenshot: http://snipr.me/images/ss011018.png

Is there anything you can think of to resolve this? Thanks!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Hi Erik, I am hoping you can help me. I am running T4F FPR5 with your prefs.js file, BluHell, and uMatrix. My issue is, things seems to be crawling along, now I don't expect modern computer speeds, but I literally just finished typing a paragraph in Windows Live Mail, and the machine was still typing out the first sentence by the time I was done. I opend Activity Monitor to see what was going on, however it seems I am only using 51% of my CPU resources, and 50% of my available RAM, so it isn't crippling my resources.

I took a screenshot of me trying to open Google Mail, and sitting on this white screen for about 2 minutes before my mail box opened, and you can see that it's not using much.

Screenshot: http://snipr.me/images/ss011018.png

Is there anything you can think of to resolve this? Thanks!
Your CPU usage is much too high. When you browse a webpage you should be somewhere around 5-12%. If you scroll, the most it should shoot you up to is somewhere in the low 20% area. My tweaks are designed so that the initial spike of up to 100% (or more, depending on how many cores/processors you have) settles back to less than 15% when at idle as quickly as possible.

51% indicates that scripts are firing.

Do you have uMatrix on?

If you do have it on, are you using it block anything or have you allowed sites such as Google Mail and Windows Live Mail to run everything?

Here's what I do when I first set up a site. The default for uMatrix is to block everything except the main site you have told the browser to load.

If there are pieces of a site missing or not functioning I use uMatrix's panel to allow certain aspects. Say I want to login, but uMatrix is blocking a script. I'll allow just the script from that particular server to run.

uMatrix will tell you what calls the web page is making and whether it's a script, CSS, image, etc. It shows you that by displaying little numbers in the boxes. You either approve or deny that request by clicking on the box. Red means deny, green means approve.

Light red means uMatrix is denying by default while light green means it's approving by default.

Approve or deny based on what you need and then test by using the reload button in uMatrix. If you use that page a lot, make sure you click the button that saves your changes.

If uMatrix is off then everything will be ghosted and the default will be allow all.

For myself, I don't browse Google or any of it's subdomains without having some aspects turned off. ytimage, for instance is the image server for YouTube. I block that because YouTube is a resource hog. Same with api.google.com. That's part of Google's analytics, which chews up resources.

uMatrix is smart enough to remember every domain individually. So if you approve, say maps.google.com at some restaurants location page, it doesn't mean you approve maps.google.com on the Google Maps site. It's all relative.

Hope some of that helps.

Camacorn

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Ocala, FL
Your CPU usage is much too high. *** it doesn't mean you approve maps.google.com on the Google Maps site. It's all relative.

Hope some of that helps.

Definitely helps! Going to try tweaking with uMatrix a bit more and see if it helps at all. I already had the Google Analytics garbage disabled on MacRumors Forums, and my CPU usage while sitting on this very thread is only 1%.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Definitely helps! Going to try tweaking with uMatrix a bit more and see if it helps at all. I already had the Google Analytics garbage disabled on MacRumors Forums, and my CPU usage while sitting on this very thread is only 1%.
Here's what I have going with GMail…this is on my 1Ghz 17" PowerBook.

TenFourFox.png

Camacorn

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Ocala, FL
I see you're a Tmobile customer haha, I manage a Tmobile store here in Florida.

Are you running Tiger, or Leopard? Because I was actually searching for a way to change to a dark theme, like in modern versions of macOS. I am wondering if I shouldn't just downgrade to Tiger, though I'm not sure how big of a performance gain I would see. I was honestly hoping this system would be a little snappier. But even with using just 1-5% of my CPU on these forums, the text can't keep up with my typing.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I see you're a Tmobile customer haha, I manage a Tmobile store here in Florida.

Are you running Tiger, or Leopard? Because I was actually searching for a way to change to a dark theme, like in modern versions of macOS. I am wondering if I shouldn't just downgrade to Tiger, though I'm not sure how big of a performance gain I would see. I was honestly hoping this system would be a little snappier. But even with using just 1-5% of my CPU on these forums, the text can't keep up with my typing.
I'm using Leopard on all the Macs that are capable of having it installed.

Some points.

1. Downgrading to Tiger won't help with websites. If you are having issues on MR, make sure your Rich Text Editor is off. That's Javascript running in the background ALL the time. You'll know it's on if you see text formatting buttons in the quick reply box. You'll have to learn the shortcuts for coding bold, italics, etc though.

2. Do a search for optimizing Leopard here. There are things you can do. Onyx, Secrets prefpane, terminal commands, etc.

3. I'm using a black theme called Black Mac OS X via Magnifique and a dock/icon set using Candybar. If you want that, do a search for black theme with me as the poster. There will be a Dropbox link. Be aware that it cannot theme folder backgrounds. They will still be white in list view.

Finally, I use FT Deepdark in T4Fx as my browser theme. You'll need to disable compatibility checking and force install the non-PC version if you want to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.