Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
Thank you both. I was not worried about the fact this is a Mac or PowerPC version of Mozilla Firefox. I was worried because on my windows laptop it's version 52 while most part of these options is from old versions of Firefox/TenFourFox, so some of them could have been removed from the newer version

Reactions: AmazingHenry

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you both. I was not worried about the fact this is a Mac or PowerPC version of Mozilla Firefox. I was worried because on my windows laptop it's version 52 while most part of these options is from old versions of Firefox/TenFourFox, so some of them could have been removed from the newer version
The browser will simply disregard a setting if it is no longer valid. If a newer version has settings that the prefs file does not contain it will add them when you boot it up.

If you move it to a lower version with those settings then the lower version will ignore those settings if they don't exist in that lower version.

In short, deprecated settings are harmless because they are simply ignored.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I'll go for the Intel e PC prefs file. Tried to download it from the first post but I got a 404 error from DropBox. Could you please give me another link, @eyoungren ?
Fixed the link on page one. Sorry. I have a lot of Dropbox Public folder links in a lot of threads here. I'm reposting them as people request since Dropbox removed the particular sharing of that folder.

Reactions: pochopsp

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
If needed, I would be able to host the file for the tweak files. Currently, my files (Apple Cider Minecraft Patch and the Tweak Easy Installer) are being hosted off of my Google Drive.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
If needed, I would be able to host the file for the tweak files. Currently, my files (Apple Cider Minecraft Patch and the Tweak Easy Installer) are being hosted off of my Google Drive.
Thanks for that. Czo is keeping us going with Dropbox but if we should need it I will ask.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
A minor adjustment…

content.interrupt.parsing: true

For whatever reason this setting had been made false in my setup at some point. It must be on in order for a couple of other tweaks involved with loading a page are activated.

I have updated the prefs file in Post #1.

This is an easy change though so if you already have my file, just open about:config and change false to true in this setting (assuming it's already false on your setup).

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
@eyoungren I'd like to install these tweaks on Waterfox on ML. So, I saw that your personal PPC prefs file causes some graphics problem with Intels... does that problem exist with the tweak files by Altemose and Hack as well? Or is it only yours?

Thanks.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
@eyoungren I'd like to install these tweaks on Waterfox on ML. So, I saw that your personal PPC prefs file causes some graphics problem with Intels... does that problem exist with the tweak files by Altemose and Hack as well? Or is it only yours?

Thanks.
Not sure. Try my Intel prefs. It's been cleaned up and was based on Hack's prefs file. Just be sure to add the last tweak I mention above as I have not added it to the Intel pref file yet.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
@eyoungren This question doesn't really belong here, but you do seem to be the Firefox/TenFourFox expert. ;)

Is AdBlock OK to use on Intel? If not, what's that best Intel ad-blocker? Same as PPC? Thanks.
Same as PowerPC. Use BluHell Firewall.

Memory leaks on Intel are less noticeable because most Intel Macs have more ram/processing power. But the leaks still haven't been fixed.

Except for addons that specifically state Windows most Firefox addons are platform agnostic. So, whatever you can use on one applies to all.

PS. It's relevant. The title of my thread covers addons. ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
When I started this thread my focus was entirely on making things faster for a PowerBook G4 with a failed cache. For the most part I think that's worked out.

My premise was that with the trend towards broadband becoming more prevalent and speeds ever increasing that focusing everything to download on a fast network connection was faster than utilitizing disk cache, particularly when it came to the failed cache on my PB.

Since then I have become the proud owner of three PowerMac G5s and have lots of ram and lots of disk cache. I've mentioned here and in other threads creating a RAM disk and I have done this with all of my Macs. Some have less RAM disk space allocated than others, some the maximum I can use.

The current PowerBook I own does not have a failed cache (and in fact is in about as damn good a condition as I could ask for) and so I do have a 16MB ram disk allocated for T4Fx.

You can find how to to that in previous posts.

Lately, because of this I've been trying something else and I will share it here.

Since ram is faster than downloading and disk access and I have a RAM disk, it means anything I cache for T4Fx is in ram and instantly available.

So, I have been trying these settings for the last two weeks:

browser.cache.check_doc_frequency: 3

This is is the setting that tells T4Fx when to check cache for web pages. It's the default setting, which is to check when pages expire (change). Previously I had it set to 1 (never check) because I was wanting everything to download.

But to make this work, this setting has to be enabled…

browser.cache.memory.enable: true

Now, if you have set a separate disk cache and it's a ram disk as I have done your webpages will load directly from ram. You'll only reload elements of a page when the page changes.

So far the results have been pretty good.

As always, your mileage may vary but if you want to try this out I would suggest setting up a ram disk and moving your cache to the ram disk.

Note that this will regress some of my settings if you are not using a ram disk as a cache disk. Loading cache from disk will most times be slower than broadband.

s¡juandelarocha

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2017
Hello eyoungren!

I'm trying to download your preference file for PPC systems -now that I've been able to recover a nice g4 imac with 7450 processor. However, I have not managed to find a working link in the post. Can you please share a new one?

I installed tenfourfox and whilst it works way better than Safari, it still get stuck in some websites like the one of my local newspaper and some more with banners and images...

Thanks!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Hello eyoungren!

I'm trying to download your preference file for PPC systems -now that I've been able to recover a nice g4 imac with 7450 processor. However, I have not managed to find a working link in the post. Can you please share a new one?

I installed tenfourfox and whilst it works way better than Safari, it still get stuck in some websites like the one of my local newspaper and some more with banners and images...

Thanks!
Sorry about that. I fixed the link on page one. It had the old Dropbox public folder sharing link and I did not realize I had not updated it.

Just so you don't have to go back there to get it, here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymru63w5hg94aoe/prefs.js?dl=0

You will still need to adjust for the fact that I am using caching on a ram disk. The instructions are on page one.

Reactions: s¡juandelarocha

s¡juandelarocha

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2017
Sorry about that. I fixed the link on page one. It had the old Dropbox public folder sharing link and I did not realize I had not updated it.

Just so you don't have to go back there to get it, here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymru63w5hg94aoe/prefs.js?dl=0

You will still need to adjust for the fact that I am using caching on a ram disk. The instructions are on page one.

Thanks mate!

Considering that my father will be the one alone using the g4, which of the addons do you recommend for an "autonomous" usage with "no criteria" to be blocking, unblocking, allowing or disallowing websites at the addons panel?

Update: wow! I just installed the preferences file and it really works. Without installing any addon and just working with the file, it really improves the performance. However, I'm having problems to log in to the Outlook Webmail of University. When I write user and password, it kind of logs in but suddenly says: "something went wrong, please click refresh". Obviously refreshing doesn't work at all. Taking a look to the error it says something like: "mutation operation was attempted on a database that did not allow mutations".

Do you guys know what can it be? It should definitely be something related with the config preferences because before installing the file I could log in.

Thanks for the support!

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks mate!

Considering that my father will be the one alone using the g4, which of the addons do you recommend for an "autonomous" usage with "no criteria" to be blocking, unblocking, allowing or disallowing websites at the addons panel?
For ad blocking I would suggest BluHell Firewall. There are no settings and the only website I have never seen it fail on is Facebook.

Unfortunately, I cannot suggest an 'easy' version of uMatrix or NoScript/Request Policy. Those three addons require user interaction to selectively block things.

There may be some easier addons that just do it automatically but I am not personally aware of what those would be.

Oh. If your father is going to be using T4Fx for any banking/financial type stuff I would suggest using a default or clean profile. Lately, because of all the tweaks I've made I am noticing some things have been failing for me on certain websites that have recently been updated.

Since I mainly use T4Fx for browsing this doesn't overly annoy me but it is something to note for those who may do this more than I.

Last edited:

s¡juandelarocha

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2017
Thanks!

It's a pitty because the preference file really works very nice! He's basically going to use it for newspaper reading and webmail, so it could fit! I'll try to find out what can be related to this login error. Keep you posted about it ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks!

It's a pitty because the preference file really works very nice! He's basically going to use it for newspaper reading and webmail, so it could fit! I'll try to find out what can be related to this login error. Keep you posted about it ;)
You might try adding the User Agent Switcher addon and creating a modern user agent. You can search for any user agent you want and apply that. I tend to run a user agent that says my system is OS X 10.12 and Firefox 56 or the latest version of Chrome.

You have to switch it on each time you restart T4Fx though, just be aware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.