Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsensei

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
OK, I sold my iphone yesterday and now my status changed saying that I would be allowed a upgrade discount in 5/2009. It stills shows that I have an iphone though. I thought if you had a iphone previously you would get the $199/$299 price. What's really weird is that my sister as an iphone and she has not sold her phone yet and her status changed also.

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    17 KB · Views: 171

bazookafx3

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Call ATT and tell them what happened, and no matter what you do dont give up because it just takes a while to persuade them, same thing happend to me and after 40 min on the phone i was upgrade eligible!

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I borrowed a friends iPhone and activated it today, which changed me to eligible, but just now it back to saying I'm not until Nov. 2008 again.

Maybe it's not just my account. Maybe something weird is going on with their system and everyone should double check right now.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
They are upgrading the site it appears as I received this message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but we are unable to support this request online. Please contact Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500 for assistance with your request.

skierdb526

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
mine said something goofy about the service not being available at this time and to call support. they better not pull a fast one on us. if so we will just have to call them out on this ********.

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
Crap, my online account status just changed too:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but we are unable to support this request online. Please contact Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500 for assistance with your request.

Experience the latest wireless technology with a new phone.

beaken

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
Interesting, I just looked at my account and it now says the same thing as well. Ive never sold my phone or given it to anyone else to do anything with. So it looks like At&t is doing something wierd on there end. Just better not screw anything up for me on friday.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
hmm mine changed too and it says my account is past due...wtf

i have at least until the 12th to pay before late fees >_<

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
hmm mine changed too and it says my account is past due...wtf

i have at least until the 12th to pay before late fees >_<

From my experience if you're a day late on your bill it shows past due online and that may prohibit you from upgrading. I believe they're just updating the website now as it appears that everyone is getting the same message now.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
From my experience if you're a day late on your bill it shows past due online and that may prohibit you from upgrading. I believe they're just updating the website now as it appears that everyone is getting the same message now.

guess ill just pay my bill the morning of friday...but damn whats the deal with my upgrade status

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Wish I hadn't fired off an e-mail about my activation if all this is is a glitch. Eh, they usually take a couple days or more to respond, from my experience of my last two questions. So I'll probably have a 3G iPhone in my hands if this corrects itself by the time they respond.

My full ATT account (DSL, Home phone, and Cell) bill date was this July 4th, not due to Augest 4th, but I paid it just now anyway.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Yeah, same message on my end. Hope there isn't anything wrong. I sold my iPhone about a month ago but have kept the plan. This is making me worry a little though...

beaken

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
I managed to find my old receipt for when I bought my phone in my hotmail account. (gotta love that they email that stuff to you now) So I will be taking that with me just incase anyone has a question about me not being eligible for it. Ive never had to replace the phone or anything so there serial numbers and all that good stuff still match.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Probably should've waited until you got your new phone to sell your old one. :rolleyes:

They know what phone you have your SIM card in. ;)

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
I'm on the phone with the CSR right now because she is telling me that my second line is not eligible for an upgrade. It was this morning and all through out last month. It just changed now.

She is attempting to change it back to Eligible so hopefully this will fix the problem.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Probably should've waited until you got your new phone to sell your old one. :rolleyes:

They know what phone you have your SIM card in. ;)

Well, on the ATT site it says that you can hand your iPhone off to someone else. If they give me any trouble, I'm going to point them to their website.

Farani

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Wireless from AT&T is continually working to improve our internet site for our customers. As part of this ongoing effort, we are currently doing maintenance. We apologize for this inconvenience and ask that you please try back again later.

I get that on parts of their site.

Cabrewolf

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2003
I bought a phone of amazon for the discount, added an iphone so I could sell the discounted phone, and am now getting an ineligible issue. Last week I was able to upgrade, but now I am not. BS

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
What the hell is going on here..

The CSR wasnt able to change my upgrade eligibility on the second line but she says that because I have an iPhone plan on that account, I would still qualify for the 299 price.

WTF.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I can't imagine them trying to change anything when they are only a day or so away from this whole upgrade eligibility thing being closed on the 11th.

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
I borrowed a friends iPhone and activated it today, which changed me to eligible, but just now it back to saying I'm not until Nov. 2008 again.

Maybe it's not just my account. Maybe something weird is going on with their system and everyone should double check right now.

Hmm....sounds like maybe they know people are doing just what you did...and are double checking to see if two accounts are using the same phone and resetting accounts recently activated with iPhones.

I'd say people who were legitimately upgrade eligible should contact AT&T if their status changed.

People who are trying to trick the system could probably try again...or just be glad they didn't get their accounts cancelled and pay the full price like the rest of us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.