Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Mine says 7/19/2008. I'm way pissed right now.
EDIT: Just called and "We cannot take your call at this time, please try again later."

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Yeah...I checked mine and I was eligible a day or two ago; now it says I'm not. I'll be calling them today. I bought my iPhone in October of last year.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Checked mine earlier this week and I was eligible. After reading this I checked and now it says I'm not. My account is pretty straight forward in that I purchased an iPhone from an Apple store last year, activated it and had no other activity/changes since then. I'm confident this is just an application update that went "bad". I expect people will be letting them hear about it and it should be resolved sometime soon. Even if this is AT&T (read incompetent) they know what publicity will be like if they screw this up. If anything I could see a possibility where those who were genuinely not eligible before might be able to use this as an opportunity to gain eligibility in all of the confusion.

luckychild

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
At&t Did Me Bad Cause I Didnt Pay A Bill In April On Time They Said I Cant Get Iphone At 199/299 Price This Really Suck

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Just got off the line with a CS rep. He put a note on my account to process the upgrade tomorrow at the 199/299 price. I'm going to stop in the store today and ask if this will work, I sure as heck don't want to wait in line to have a problem with it tomorrow.

c.joe.go

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2007
the nexus of the universe
heads up.

called at&t, they are aware of people trying to get around the eligibility requirements. they will be extending those contracts out two years from the days they were activated.... so you might want to call and play nicely to get them to "correct" your account so you don't have to wait even longer.

the rep i talked to saw my date of activation and said that at&t was "in the process of correcting errors with certain activations/eligibility changes".

Sleepyyet

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Hey guys! Knew ATT wouldnt take long to catch on to this loophole. As I had stated before, I spoke to a CSR and they told me that they'd be updating their systems accordingly to all of those keeping iphone plans on th eir account but yet are not currently using an iphone. I suppose their systems have been updated. You have to be a CURRENT iPhone user and when they pull up your account at ATT store, the iPhone has to be the equipment being utilized, not just an iphone data plan kept.

luckychild

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
im still going to apple to see if i get iphone for 199/299 cause i never switch phone and the lady looked at my account and said everything was good then call me back to say sorry i cant get upgrade cause i paid a bill late.

macsensei

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Called the AT&T rep and told them my situation. First he told me that my status would not allow me to get the iphone for the $199 price. Then he put me on hold to check with his manager, came back and said that I was. I just was not allowed to have an upgrade of another phone(blackberry, nokia, etc.).
Seems like he knew I sold my phone yesterday also. I mean come on, I lost my first iphone and had to buy a second one! I better not have any problems tommorrow.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Sounds like AT&T waited to 11th hour to pull out the final stop to prevent customers from upgrading when they initially entitled to it per the announcement. I just called CS and was told that I'm now NOT elgible to upgrade and I guess I will be paying the early upgrade price. It is what it is at this point :rolleyes:

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Hey guys! Knew ATT wouldnt take long to catch on to this loophole. As I had stated before, I spoke to a CSR and they told me that they'd be updating their systems accordingly to all of those keeping iphone plans on th eir account but yet are not currently using an iphone. I suppose their systems have been updated. You have to be a CURRENT iPhone user and when they pull up your account at ATT store, the iPhone has to be the equipment being utilized, not just an iphone data plan kept.

I'm not part of any "loophole" in that I bought an iPhone last year and still have it today with no further changes, yet my account now shows I'm not eligible. While this may have been an attempt to find and eliminate those who used loopholes, it has caught many more legitimately eligible customers (including myself) in the net. Again, I think enough will show up this AM at AT&T with torches & pitch forks in hand that they'll have to get something fixed asap.

Sleepyyet

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Yep. ATT caught on. I just called ATT to make sure I was upgrade eligible. Status had changed to ineligible but the business CSR I spoke with checked internally in their systems and told me I was eligible since I am CURRENTLY using and having an ACTIVATED iPhone v1. She explicitly annotated my account and sent confirmation email in addition. She said I would have no problems come tommorrow morning for lauch. You guys need to call as well.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Yep. ATT caught on. I just called ATT to make sure I was upgrade eligible. Status had changed to ineligible but the business CSR I spoke with checked internally in their systems and told me I was eligible since I am CURRENTLY using and having an ACTIVATED iPhone v1. She explicitly annotated my account and sent confirmation email in addition. She said I would have no problems come tommorrow morning for lauch. You guys need to call as well.

So am I, but the rep I got didn't really seem to interested in doing anymore than I already had. If the store does request that I pay $499 I will kindly bring up the fact that I'm a current iPhone subscriber with an activated iPhone and should receive discount pricing. I believe this was done to close the loophole since tomorrow is the big day.

Sleepyyet

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Yes. ATT caught on at the 11th hour just in time for lauch. I suggest bringing currently activated iPhones with you tomorrow morning for launch. This may help.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Yes. ATT caught on at the 11th hour just in time for lauch. I suggest bringing currently activated iPhones with you tomorrow morning for launch. This may help.

Exactly. I will definitely show them my iPhone at the store. This is why I'm going to an AT&T store.

BrittQ

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
So if you sold your iPhone and still have the iPhone plan, you are not eligible for the subsidized price?

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
So if you sold your iPhone and still have the iPhone plan, you are not eligible for the subsidized price?

That is the million dollar question that looks like it will have to be answered at the store tomorrow or by giving CS a call.

apb509

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
I planned on utlilizing the loophole today. I got my friends IMEI number and was going to call into AT&T to have them activate the iPhone on my acct.

I was thinking I might be able to get around them actually knowing if I'm using the iPhone if I just don't use any phone at all in the next 24 hours.. i.e. take my SIM card out of current phone.

Anybody who tried to use this iPhone data plan loophole have any updates on their eligibility?

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
ok just got off the phone with a rep she told me my upgrade status is on hold till i pay my bill...once that's done i'll be eligible to upgrade

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.