Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I explained to her the link on the AT&T page stating if you've purchased the phone before July 11th that you would be eligible for the subsidized pricing.

Does anyone have that link? I can't find it. I bought my iPhone on May 30th so I should not only be eligible for the upgrade but also for the refund if I were to turn in my current iPhone. I was happy these last few weeks with my upgrade eligible status but now am no longer eligible ONLINE. I have been using the iPhone since the day I bought it from the AT&T store. I'll bring my phone & the receipt but I'd also like to print out the statement from the AT&T site. Just as more documentation. I want to keep my current iPhone & just upgrade (so I can the original to my sister).

Paix247

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2006
Minneapolis
It seems as though only customers who purchased an iPhone last year are having this status change trouble, is that right?

EDIT: oops, i meant last year's iPhone, whenever it was purchased.

MAClover143

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
Long Island, NY
I just talked CSR and I had to show her the iReady videos and I had to make direct quotes from Steve Jobs, iReady videos, and the CEO of AT&T, but in the end she fixed it and then she started to ask me about the iPhone 3G. She asked me so what's great about it. She said they are getting a large about of calls about this too. (Lol.)

Ugh can't find that either! Can you post the link for the iReady video. Thank you!!

ceiph

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
yeah i activated an iphone yesterday had it on my account and everything and now it says no. but the iphone plan is still being billed to me so i guess im just going to have to goto att and work it all out. if not i can always use my sisters upgrade

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
It seems as though only customers who purchased an iPhone last year are having this status change trouble, is that right?

Nope, I bought my iPhone in March and it says:

You are not currently eligible to upgrade your device online. This line may be eligible for an equipment discount on 06/01/2009

Experience the latest wireless technology with a new phone.

I'm calling CS right now.

Paix247

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2006
Minneapolis
I just got off of online chat support from AT&T and this is what they had to say:

You are now chatting with 'Shamere L'

Shamere L: · Welcome to AT&T Premier Support, my name is Shamere. I am reading your question and will be right with you.

Shamere L: Give me a moment to pull up your upgrade status.

Shamere L: Our system states that your last upgrade was 06/29/2007 and your contract will end 06/29/2009.

Shamere L: So you wouldn't be eligible until closer to your end of contract.

Brandon: I purchased an iPhone on 6/29/2007 and I paid full price. It did not remove my upgrade elligibility

Brandon: Yesterday my account said that I am upgrade elligible, and today when I logged in, it says that I am not. I would like this to be fixed please.

Shamere L: Ok, Thank you so much for your patients, you recently did an upgrade online and returned the device correct?

Brandon: That is correct. I returned the device within 30 days and my upgrade status was restored, until today.

Shamere L: Ok, I do apologize for the inconvenience, I see that change, what we can do is if your wanting to purchase a device, we can order the device for you with the online prices, I do apologize about this.

Brandon: I plan to go in to the store tomorrow morning to purchase the new iPhone 3G. I need to be upgrade elligible to get the $199 price. Will I have any problems doing this?

Shamere L: No you won't have any issues, being that this is all in your account notes and I will note your account as well to make sure you have no issues when purchasing the new Iphone 3g.

bjquach

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
PA
I just got off a phone with an ATT Rep who was very knowledgeable and knew what she was talking about. She said to me that the reason why you are seeing non-upgradeable online is because the iphone is not online and that you are NOT eligible for any other regular phones other than the iphone. You see, the online upgrade status only applies to online shopping not general in-store shopping (in this case). So, since you can only get an iPhone in a store, it will show up online as not eligible to prevent anyone from getting another subsidized phone and that iPhone is not even allowed to be purchased online. She notated my account very specifically that I can buy the iPhone at the cheap price. Also, Apple stores (I don't know about AT&T) have a easy method of seeing your eligibility. All they do is pull up your number, look at your phone picture, and see if you have the data plan. And you're set! Hope this slows everyone's heartbeat (mine did) and saved everyone a lot of money. Call AT&T CS to confirm and notate your account if you are still uneasy. I know I'm fairly new to HoFo but I hope my information will contribute.

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
Wow, my person was a complete idiot.

She thought that the $199 was subsidized and $299 was unsubsidized.

"You might have to pay the $299 instead of the $199"

I hung up and am gonna try again right now.

tschur

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
I activated my iPhone in Sep '07.
Gave it away it in June '08 in anticipation of 3G release.
Put my SIM in a GoPhone, but made no changes to my iPhone plan w/ AT&T.
Like others, my upgrade status changed last night from eligible to ineligible.

Just got off phone with CSR at AT&T.
CSR said I'll receive the subsidized pricing, because I'm a current iPhone customer.
"Are you sure I'll receive the subsidized price?" I asked.
"Yes, absolutely," CSR replied.
"Can you send me an email to that effect?"
"No, we can't do that. I can put a notation on your account, but it won't make any difference. You're a current iPhone customer: if you go to buy a 3G iPhone tomorrow, you will pay the subsidized price."

When I asked why my eligibility changed overnight, CSR said that upgrade eligibility is always a moving target. But current iPhone customers need not worry because they're eligible for the subsidized pricing, regardless of what it says on the customer's account about upgrade eligibility.

Paix247

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2006
Minneapolis
I just got off a phone with an ATT Rep who was very knowledgeable and knew what she was talking about. She said to me that the reason why you are seeing non-upgradeable online is because the iphone is not online and that you are NOT eligible for any other regular phones other than the iphone. You see, the online upgrade status only applies to online shopping not general in-store shopping (in this case). So, since you can only get an iPhone in a store, it will show up online as not eligible to prevent anyone from getting another subsidized phone and that iPhone is not even allowed to be purchased online. She notated my account very specifically that I can buy the iPhone at the cheap price. Also, Apple stores (I don't know about AT&T) have a easy method of seeing your eligibility. All they do is pull up your number, look at your phone picture, and see if you have the data plan. And you're set! Hope this slows everyone's heartbeat (mine did) and saved everyone a lot of money. Call AT&T CS to confirm and notate your account if you are still uneasy. I know I'm fairly new to HoFo but I hope my information will contribute.

Great news, but that is a different situation than I am in. It has been well over 2 years since I purchased an upgrade phone (with the exception of the one I recently returned). I should be upgrade eligible for ANY phone, and I think some of the others on here who have had their status changed are also in my same situation.

bigbarr

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2003
Tampa
I sold my iphone in early June to a person in switzerland who is using it unlocked with another carrier.

just thought i would relay my eligibility info.

I have spoken with 4 reps from AT&T. The first two (last week and yesterday) looked at my account and said I am good for the iphone 3g.

The 3rd rep (today), told me I was not upgrade eligible until next year as my contract was only initiated a year ago. The 4th rep (today) said initially that I wasn't. He checked and confirmed that I am eligible. He also said that he noted it on the account.

I then called an att store and asked them to look up my account in preparation for the 3g launch. They were cool and said that because I have the 1st iphone I am good. They can see it on my account. I mentioned to her that I have been having flip flop answers between reps and online and she said, well, you aren't really "upgrade eligible" but you qualify because we can see you have the 1st iphone.

So hopefully I will be clear to spend some time in line without any surprises.

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR

That makes sense to me because my status says:
"You are not currently eligible to upgrade your device online. This line may be eligible for an equipment discount on 11/26/2009"

I thought the wording was weird. Now it seems appropriate. I had purchased a refurbished Treo back in January that used my eligibility so I would not be eligible for any phone other than the iPhone.

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
Ok, so I Just called another CSR after my last unsuccessful call(see above) and I explained the situation to her and she understood me completely.

She then told me that since I bought the iPhone in March and that she saw that on the computer, I am fine. I then asked for some kind of confirmation and she said she notated my account and that she will give me her first and last name so I can contact her in case I get any trouble at the AT&T store.

So I think I'm fine now.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
just paid my bill that was over due:

status changed back:

This line is eligible for equipment discount pricing when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. You can take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Ok, so I Just called another CSR after my last unsuccessful call(see above) and I explained the situation to her and she understood me completely.

She then told me that since I bought the iPhone in March and that she saw that on the computer, I am fine. I then asked for some kind of confirmation and she said she notated my account and that she will give me her first and last name so I can contact her in case I get any trouble at the AT&T store.

So I think I'm fine now.

I just spoke with someone. pretty much clueless. But she did say I see that you bought an iPhone in February. so it was on the account.

I should be cool right?

Farani

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
I just spoke with someone. pretty much clueless. But she did say I see that you bought an iPhone in February. so it was on the account.

I should be cool right?

From everyone I've talked to and everything I've read, you should be good.

davey0

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2006
I canceled my prepaid account (I had it for about a year) and started a contract on July 7th and my eligibility changed this morning to ineligible, so I called AT&T and got a totally clueless CSR and supervisor.

This is what I was told by the supervisor:
- there is nothing they can do
- since I purchased it before May 27, I am not eligible for subsidized prices
- I would be eligible if I purchased a used one on eBay after May 27
- the only thing I can do is start a new contract

I guess I will take my iPhone down to the store with me tomorrow. I don't know what else I can do. It's pretty bad when a customer knows more than a supervisor.

cryo

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
I canceled my prepaid account (I had it for about a year) and started a contract on July 7th and my eligibility changed this morning to ineligible, so I called AT&T and got a totally clueless CSR and supervisor.

This is what I was told by the supervisor:
- there is nothing they can do
- since I purchased it before May 27, I am not eligible for subsidized prices
- I would be eligible if I purchased a used one on eBay after May 27
- the only thing I can do is start a new contract

I guess I will take my iPhone down to the store with me tomorrow. I don't know what else I can do. It's pretty bad when a customer knows more than a supervisor.

Well, I just bought one off Craigslist on the 3rd, and my status just changed to ineligible today, so that doesn't make sense. I will contact AT&T.

This is just ridiculous.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
Like others, my second line now states that its not ELIGIBLE.

I wonder what AT&T COR will do if I bring the AT&T Press Release form which states that all current iPhone users are eligible for the subsidized price.

Perhaps I should call the store and speak to the manager.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.