Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cryo

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
Like others, my second line now states that its not ELIGIBLE.

I wonder what AT&T COR will do if I bring the AT&T Press Release form which states that all current iPhone users are eligible for the subsidized price.

Perhaps I should call the store and speak to the manager.

Is there a link to that form? I can't find it anymore. I think they are "changing the policies" on the fly, and that ticks me off if so, because I would have just waited to buy my used iPhone until the prices went down a bit. If I can't upgrade, at least I can sleep in tomorrow and save $10 a month.

cryo

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008

The link doesn't work. It says the file has moved or is no longer viewable.

If they are going to change their policies at the 11th hour, they need to make a company statement today, to clear up the confusion, especially if they are backtracking.

This release is a real CF. I hope business students everywhere are watching and learning how to be prepared for a major product release, because Apple and AT&T have dropped the ball.

Ryhian

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Orlando, FL
Is there a link to that form? I can't find it anymore. I think they are "changing the policies" on the fly, and that ticks me off if so, because I would have just waited to buy my used iPhone until the prices went down a bit. If I can't upgrade, at least I can sleep in tomorrow and save $10 a month.

If you log into your AT&T account and in the search box type in "3g iphone pricing" the first link under 'results for 3g iphone pricing' will show you the information you're looking for.

The heading is How do I upgrade my wireless phone?

iPhone Upgrades: Beginning July 11, 2008, the new iPhone 3G is $199 for the 8GB and $299 for the 16GB for new activations and qualified upgrades. Existing customers wishing to purchase a new iPhone 3G can visit an AT&T company owned store or an Apple retail store. A 2-year service agreement is required. These prices are available to the following customers:

* iPhone customers who purchased before July 11
* Customers activating a new line with AT&T
* Current AT&T customers who are eligible, at the time of purchase, for an upgrade discount

cryo

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
If you log into your AT&T account and in the search box type in "3g iphone pricing" the first link under 'results for 3g iphone pricing' will show you the information you're looking for.

The heading is How do I upgrade my wireless phone?

iPhone Upgrades: Beginning July 11, 2008, the new iPhone 3G is $199 for the 8GB and $299 for the 16GB for new activations and qualified upgrades. Existing customers wishing to purchase a new iPhone 3G can visit an AT&T company owned store or an Apple retail store. A 2-year service agreement is required. These prices are available to the following customers:

* iPhone customers who purchased before July 11
* Customers activating a new line with AT&T
* Current AT&T customers who are eligible, at the time of purchase, for an upgrade discount

I did what you said, and I don't see that page coming up in the search. ?????

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
I spoke to a Store Manager at a local AT&T COR and per the manager, notes on the account will NOT work tomorrow. The upgrade status has to be set to ELIGIBLE in order to purchase the new iPhone at a subsidized price. He said they received internal notes stating that NO EXCEPTION in regards to this rule.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I spoke to a Store Manager at a local AT&T COR and per the manager, notes on the account will NOT work tomorrow. The upgrade status has to be set to ELIGIBLE in order to purchase the new iPhone at a subsidized price. He said they received internal notes stating that NO EXCEPTION in regards to this rule.

Wow that's great. Guess I'm not camping out in Los Gatos tomorrow because AT&T decided to screw me over at the last minute.

s0upb0ne

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
same thing happened me

"ineligible for upgrade" online :eek:

Called the CSR and they are clueless!!

I was told that I would only be eligible for upgrade if I had purchased my iphone after May 27th and before July 11 :confused:

They even emailed this crap to me

worldwearyeyes

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2005
I printed out the webpage last week stating I WAS eligible for an upgrade. I hope that suffices if this BS continues.

Paix247

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2006
Minneapolis

I got the exact opposite info from my store. This is nuts. :mad:

BlakeRx

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
I just called the local AT&T to check iPhone availability... And she said I was not eligible for the discounted pricing.

I've had my AT&T account active since August of last year with the 1st gen iPhone, and she said I had to wait until 2009 to get the discounted price. WTH?

Maybe I am misunderstanding all this. :confused:

cryo

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
I just called the local AT&T to check iPhone availability... And she said I was not eligible for the discounted pricing.

I've had my AT&T account active since August of last year with the 1st gen iPhone, and she said I had to wait until 2009 to get the discounted price. WTH?

Maybe I am misunderstanding all this. :confused:

We have no clue what's going on. AT&T had better issue a detailed press release before the day is done, or chaos will reign tomorrow at stores when people learn for the first time their status has changed. I just want to know if I need to get up early or just enjoy my first gen and 2.0.

The silver lining, as far as I see it, is that those of us having to wait until 2009 to upgrade may have a better phone, more of an upgrade than the 3G, and who knows, the price might be even better. If we take the discount pricing, I assume we will be upgrade ineligible for the normal 21 months or so.

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
You have to purchase an iPhone from Apple or AT&T before June (forget the exact day) to be eligible. Using a friends iPhone or getting one on eBay will not work.

This information is compliments of both an AT&T rep and AT&T Store manager.

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
I printed my invoice from Apple's online store and will bring that with me. I also have my screen shot from AT&T's website that i took 2 days ago showing my eligility to upgrade. Since I did buy a phone in Feb and use it, it shouldn't be a problem. I am going to AT&T to try to get my account noted for tomorrow. I really want to go to the Apple Store to purchase the phone, so hopefully AT&T will be able to get this worked out.

esvienne

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
Mine said the same thing... it went back to me not being eligible. The poster who said to be extremely nice and polite with them (I can't for the life of me remember and I'm too lazy to go back to the thread :X) was completely right! Normally I get heated at these stupid ATT CSR's because they're almost NEVER helpful, but this lady was EXTREMELY helpful. At first she didn't know about the current iPhone owner eligibility... so I let her know that I had read it somewhere, so she looked it up and she was like "oh! you're right!"

After she read up more on the iPhone, she understood that I bought the iphone a few months ago which makes me eligible. She went ahead and made notes for both of my family plan lines, with the reference number where she found the info. She said she put as much info as possible so I shouldn't have an issue tomorrow. She also told me that since my name is on both lines of my family account, my boyfriend and I will have to wait in line together, because the "1 phone per person in line" still applies. At the end I made sure to tell her thanks alot, and that she was definiately the most helpful CSR I've talked to. I let her know about 80 times how much I appreciated her help.

She sounded really flattered and was laughing. It was funny because at the end I was like "have a nice day!!!" and she was confused, cause normally she's the one who has to say that. She's like, "oh!!! thanks!! have a nice day too!!".

Anyway, it was a really pleasant experience, especially considering the ones I've had a few weeks ago with different ones, so definitely be nice to the CSR and let them know they helped you.

I also heard a few posts back that the stores won't be showing notes on account tomorrow. After I run over to the gym, I'm gonna head to my ATT store and double check my account with them to make sure I'm eligible as well. I'll post back here tonight once I do all that stuff.

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
You have to purchase an iPhone from Apple or AT&T before June (forget the exact day) to be eligible. Using a friends iPhone or getting one on eBay will not work.

This information is compliments of both an AT&T rep and AT&T Store manager.

I purchased my iPhone at an AT&T corporate store on May 30th (May 27th was the date you mention). I activated, I am using the phone, I have not used any other phone since but my status as of this morning is Ineligible online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.