Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
You have to purchase an iPhone from Apple or AT&T before June (forget the exact day) to be eligible. Using a friends iPhone or getting one on eBay will not work.

This information is compliments of both an AT&T rep and AT&T Store manager.

I'm calling BS on this. The link clearly states BEFORE JULY 11, NOT JUNE. I just had my wife call the store I'm going to tomorrow and spoke with Jake and he verified that yes as long as you're a current iPhone subscriber you're elgible for subsidy. SOME reps are just spouting out things without even bothering to look it up, sort of like the rep I got this morning who wasn't helpful at all and I just let the call go :rolleyes:

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
I just checked my account and it changed back to me being eligible. I don't know if it's because of the call I gave CSR earlier or because AT&T fixed their systems, but now it says:

This line is eligible for reduced equipment pricing when you sign up for a new 2-year service agreement. All iPhone purchases require a 2-year service commitment.

Experience the latest wireless technology with a new phone.

x0lliex

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Check your status again everyone, just checked mine at 10:50AM PST and it showed ineligible, now at 11:01AM PST it shows eligible again.

loudasthesun

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2006
Someone at AT&T is on crack today or something.

My status was ineligible this morning, and just changed BACK to eligible again.

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Back to eligible!

Last night I went from eligible to non eligible, now back to eligible! I'm glad I did not have a chance to call ATT up. What a roller coaster ride this launch has become! 8 am Friday can't come any faster!

jplan2008

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
Back to Eligible

Like others, my account this morning showed ineligible after being at eligible. But it's back to eligible again, so keep trying. (I bought my iPhone at an AT&T store in September, and haven't sold it or put SIM in any other phone, so I don't know about every different situation)

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
Scratch that: I just got off the phone with another rep who says that is incorrect. She called the store where I got the information and they corrected themselves as well.

doug0365

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
WOOOOT!!!! Mine also changed from been not eligible to eligible!!! Man and I thought it was going to be a hastle tomorow explaining my self with ATT that my account is eligble... I can sleep good tonight!!! :D

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Mine changed back to eligible as well. I still stand by my original theory that they attempted to run a process that flushed out any using specific loopholes and caught legitimately eligible customers in the net during the process. I hope some developer was beaten for this scare. lol

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I swear I feel like one of my kids during Christmas time. My ELGIBLE status has returned :D I'm ready to cop my 16GB WHITE iPhone for $299 tomorrow :cool:

cryo

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
I purchased my iPhone at an AT&T corporate store on May 30th (May 27th was the date you mention). I activated, I am using the phone, I have not used any other phone since but my status as of this morning is Ineligible online.

Good news: my account changed back to eligible! I suggest you wait and keep checking your status online and save yourself trips to the store, as this appears to be some final account check before the release that needlessly freaked us all out.

I bought a used iPhone off Craigslist last week and activated it, which made me eligible, just so you know my situation.

macsensei

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Im Back!!

Thread starter here lol!

Good job guys, looks like all of the phone calls and email got it changed back. Or it was a glitch in the system. Sleep well tonight and wake ready to buy that sweet 3G.:apple:

Attachments

• Picture 11.png
    Picture 11.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 43

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Back to eligible. Perhaps Apple has something right: If the site ain't working, take it down.

Seriously, saves everyone trouble.

Paix247

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2006
Minneapolis
Thread starter here lol!

Good job guys, looks like all of the phone calls and email got it changed back. Or it was a glitch in the system. Sleep well tonight and wake ready to buy that sweet 3G.:apple:

Same here! I called twice... chatted online. Everyone said that they could not change it back. The last person I talked to said they do realize there is a problem with the online upgrade status. Anyway... mine is back the way it was as well!

Yay!!! :D :D :D

agentornge33

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
was eligible last night, ineligible this morning, back to eligible now...AT&T is unintelligible...i took a screen shot of my eligibility screen just in case...

alejovh1

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2008
mine is back as well, I called CS and they told me I was not eligible!:confused:
now I'm again, WTF?
I'm printing the page and will be ready to go to battle with ATT in the morning.
hope they don't change it again tonight!:D

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Mine changed back too! Thank goodness! Now I can happily camp out at the Apple Store tonight.

Let's hope they don't pull off anymore stunts within the next 24 hours. Make sure to take a screenshot of your eligibility!

bigbarr

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2003
Tampa
the att store I spoke with told me the most reasonable thing for my particular situation. I told her that my eligibility status changed when I put my fan discount on the phone, and that I had been getting mixed answers about my current availability. She said that it was reasonable for someone to look at my account and think it was ineligible because my contract is only 12 months old. She then said that it doesn't matter because she sees that I have an iphone and am therefore eligible.

works for me...i hope.

bigbarr

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2003
Tampa
nice! I went ahead and had them remove my fan discount (i can just reregister later) and logged in and instantly I am now eligible for upgrade. I should be good either way now.

BlakeRx

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Just called them back and the status has changed in the system there as well.

Whew!

Just not sure how many phones the location here will have. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.