Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Hmm....sounds like maybe they know people are doing just what you did...and are double checking to see if two accounts are using the same phone and resetting accounts recently activated with iPhones.

I'd say people who were legitimately upgrade eligible should contact AT&T if their status changed.

People who are trying to trick the system could probably try again...or just be glad they didn't get their accounts cancelled and pay the full price like the rest of us.

Seems like there'd be no way they can figure that out without somehow messing up accounts of those that originally bought an iphone and just legitimately sold it to prepare to buy the 3G version. Or taking away the eligbility of someone that bought the iPhone off ebay and activated it but the seller hadn't removed it from their account because they plan to upgrade to 3G too.

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
Seems like there'd be no way they can figure that out without somehow messing up accounts of those that originally bought an iphone and just legitimately sold it to prepare to buy the 3G version. Or taking away the eligbility of someone that bought the iPhone off ebay and activated it but the seller hadn't removed it from their account because they plan to upgrade to 3G too.

Really? You don't think they can look on their system...see a ton of people suddenly activating iPhone. Then double check those phones against other iPhone customers to see if any are using identical phones. Would be a pretty easy way to detect people trying to trick the system. All they would have to do is make the person with the duplicate phone upgrade ineligible. The people involved should be thankful their friend doesn't get their account screwed over as well.

macsensei

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Probably should've waited until you got your new phone to sell your old one. :rolleyes:

They know what phone you have your SIM card in. ;)

ok, my sister does not even know how to take out her sim card and as not even thought about selling her iphone.

This is hers

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 86

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

Be pretty easy. They just allow one upgrade price per iPhone.

So once a phone is bought based on an old iPhone, that old iPhone is no longer eligible for an upgrade. Now you give the phone back to your friend and they can not get a new iPhone.

I just want to warn people that it is not hard for AT&T to figure out these games people are playing. It is all a matter of whether they deem it worth the time and money to deal with it. if they do, be prepared to be disappointed in some way potentially.

I just want anyone doing this doing so full well knowing that it may not work out exactly as planned.

That way we can potentially avoid an extra dose of AT&T sucks posts based on people trying to work the system and failing. Not saying it will happen, just saying if it does happen, lets not get bent out of shape about it.

beaken

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
Really? You don't think they can look on their system...see a ton of people suddenly activating iPhone. Then double check those phones against other iPhone customers to see if any are using identical phones. Would be a pretty easy way to detect people trying to trick the system. All they would have to do is make the person with the duplicate phone upgrade ineligible. The people involved should be thankful their friend doesn't get their account screwed over as well.

We all just need to calm down and let it ride out for now. I think at&t is just dinking with there systems and things are doing wierd stuff. I for one didnt sell my phone to anyone or trade it or anything and my status changed as well. If they dont have it figured out by thursday night then ill start my moaning to them.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Crap, my online account status just changed too:
We apologize for the inconvenience, but we are unable to support this request online. Please contact Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500 for assistance with your request.

Experience the latest wireless technology with a new phone.

Mine too. Just called AT&T and was told they are 'updating their systems" and that is the reason. Explained my concern about the iPhone for Friday and she promptly offered to send me an e-mail stating I was eligible for an upgrade.

macsensei

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Mine too. Just called AT&T and was told they are 'updating their systems" and that is the reason. Explained my concern about the iPhone for Friday and she promptly offered to send me an e-mail stating I was eligible for an upgrade.

Thats good to know. I really don't feel like showing out in the store on friday. But i will...

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
My upgrade status just changed back to being able to upgrade. Just to let you guys know mine has been fixed.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I was getting the message about an hour ago that said they were updating their systems.

Now it says:
You are not currently eligible to upgrade your device online. This line may be eligible for an equipment discount on 03/05/2009 More Details

Looks like they closed some holes. I signed up for a line last year and got a free phone which I promptly sold and upgraded to the iPhone via iTunes. I guess that's why I'm not eligible. I mean it's gotta be the reason because my account was showing that I was eligible a few days ago.

UPDATE:
The system is down again:
L164: We apologize for the inconvenience, but we are currently conducting system maintenance that prevents us from retrieving your account information. Please try to log in again at a later time.

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
Mine has changed also, but for the better.

You are not currently eligible to upgrade your device online. This line may be eligible for an equipment discount on 06/01/2009

Experience the latest wireless technology with a new phone.

What's going on!?:mad:

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Hmm, I manually changed my phone from my Sony to an iPhone hours ago, now it's back to the Sony. And now my data section says "U1513: Unfortunately, we are unable to display your unbilled usage at this time." My upgrade still says not eligible.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Looks like we are ****ed guys. Thanks again AT&T!

If I get a iPhone from work tomorrow, insert an unactivated SIM and activate it on my existing line that is no longer eligible will it become eligible?

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Looks like they closed some holes. I signed up for a line last year and got a free phone which I promptly sold and upgraded to the iPhone via iTunes. I guess that's why I'm not eligible. I mean it's gotta be the reason because my account was showing that I was eligible a few days ago.

So you purchased a subsidized phone, then bought the iPhone from Apple or AT&T then activated it on iTunes? If that's the case, and you made all of your payments on time ("in good standing"), then you are upgrade eligible.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
So you purchased a subsidized phone, then bought the iPhone from Apple or AT&T then activated it on iTunes? If that's the case, and you made all of your payments on time ("in good standing"), then you are upgrade eligible.

That's exactly what I did.

Activated a new line on my Mom's family talk account with some free Samsung flip phone at Best Buy, went Home and hooked up my iPhone and transferred the service from the Samsung to my iPhone. Sold the Samsung a few days later on eBay for profit. All payments have been made on the account... for the last 10 years.

The online account management system no longer shows me as upgrade eligible though.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Well I found my original receipt from the Apple store when I bought my 4GB on June 29, 2007. If they don't offer me the $199/$299 pricing I'm going to raise hell. Make sure you do the same.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Oh great!

This time ATT isn't waiting for the actual release to fall to pieces.

They've got a head start!

Kudos.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Well I found my original receipt from the Apple store when I bought my 4GB on June 29, 2007. If they don't offer me the $199/$299 pricing I'm going to raise hell. Make sure you do the same.

I would call AT&T customer service beforehand and pretend like you don't know if you are eligible or not. Then when they say you aren't, tell to them you have been using an iPhone (and you have the receipt to prove it), you bought it, and have made all payments on time. Only they can put a note to allow you to get the equipment discount. Internal memos sent to stores told managers were not allowed to override the upgrade eligibility. I am not sure Apple Stores will be able to even access those types of functions on AT&T's systems.

My line says I'm eligible on the site. I printed it and am bringing it with me.

Good luck,
Steve

jasincity

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Summerlin--Las Vegas, NV
My eligibility to upgrade was good to go earlier today and then after reading this post I checked and it said I was no longer eligible. Just checked again and everything is back to normal and it reads that I'm eligible again. WHEW!

luckychild

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
IS THIS GOOD ARE BAD SHOULD I CALL AT&T I WENT IN TO UPGRADE IT SAY DIS...........You can take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment.This line may be eligible for an equipment discount on 03/02/2009..................

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
IS THIS GOOD ARE BAD SHOULD I CALL AT&T I WENT IN TO UPGRADE IT SAY DIS...........You can take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment.This line may be eligible for an equipment discount on 03/02/2009..................

That's bad! It means you qualify for the $399 & $499 pricing not $199 & $299. I have the same problem as you.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Everything is working on my account, showing the data and text iPhone stuff on my account, but my eligibility has not come back yet.

I noticed when you go to change device and choose apple, they now let you pick the 3G iPhone models that were not there earlier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.