Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello, today I bought my very first iPhone after years of Android. OK, it's an old timer but it was free and the data plan was perfect for me plus 2 years free of Spotify as a bonus. It will be delivered to my home next Tuesday (March 15). I read all the posts about a 5s with iOS 9. I post again about the age old question "should I upgade" cause half of the answers are "iOS 9 slowed my 5s". So for the other half iOS 9 didn't slow their 5s. I"M a bit lost here. What are the best reasons I should stick to iOS 8? My Air 2 runs smooth on i OS 9.2, my iMac can boot with Mountain Lion (stock) or El Capitan. I bought the iPhone for syncing emails, notes and reminders and connecting Bluetooth in my car. No Facebook, no social media. Maybe a little Safari or Goodle+ while waiting in line at the bank. I'm the kind of guy who uses mostly Apple stuff: Mail, Safari, Notes, Reminders, Pages, etc. They suit my needs perfectly. Actually, staying inside the Apple universe was a reason not to keep on with m Android phone that was also a 2013-2014 product (HTS One s). So can you enlight the anxious guy that I am. I'm much nervous about the fact to go Apple all the way. Thanks million times.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Hello, today I bought my very first iPhone after years of Android. OK, it's an old timer but it was free and the data plan was perfect for me plus 2 years free of Spotify as a bonus. It will be delivered to my home next Tuesday (March 15). I read all the posts about a 5s with iOS 9. I post again about the age old question "should I upgade" cause half of the answers are "iOS 9 slowed my 5s". So for the other half iOS 9 didn't slow their 5s. I"M a bit lost here. What are the best reasons I should stick to iOS 8? My Air 2 runs smooth on i OS 9.2, my iMac can boot with Mountain Lion (stock) or El Capitan. I bought the iPhone for syncing emails, notes and reminders and connecting Bluetooth in my car. No Facebook, no social media. Maybe a little Safari or Goodle+ while waiting in line at the bank. I'm the kind of guy who uses mostly Apple stuff: Mail, Safari, Notes, Reminders, Pages, etc. They suit my needs perfectly. Actually, staying inside the Apple universe was a reason not to keep on with m Android phone that was also a 2013-2014 product (HTS One s). So can you enlight the anxious guy that I am. I'm much nervous about the fact to go Apple all the way. Thanks million times.
IMO there isn't really much noticeable difference between iOS 8 and iOS 9 performance wise on iPhone 5s. Especially once the 9.3 update comes out.

Here's a video comparing iOS 9 and the final version of iOS 8:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It can depend on whether or not you might notice some slight interaction delays or animation stutters, and even if you do, if they might have that much of an effect on you. Most people don't even notice them, and many of those that might notice don't really feel they have much of an effect on them. If that might be something you would really notice and really care about, then perhaps you might not want to upgrade simply for that reason and not much else (although with upcoming iOS 9.3 even that seems to be much less of a concern even for many of those who have been bothered by it all earlier). That aside, there's not that much reasoning to not upgrade (aside from maybe jailbreaking and if the version you are on is can be jailbroken and you want to jailbreak).

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
forget about serial complainers and update your iPhone to 9.2.1 : you won't regret it.
iOS 9 is far better than iOS 8.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
On the other hand you could say forget the serial defenders and make sure you're happy before upgrading.

My best advice is to go to an Apple store and use one of their 5S's on iOS 9 and see how it is.
I don't know any "serial defender", but I surely know users actually using iOS 9 on an iPhone 5S and enjoying it so much

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello again and thanks so much for all your hints and information. I will upgrade no problem to 9.2.1 but I'm curious, what's the grudge agains iOS 8. Cannot know, never played with it before. My iPad came with iOS 9. For now, what I absolutely want is for Calendar, Mail, Notes, Reminders, Safari, Photos and iTunes to sync flawlessy. Syncing is the main raison I'm getting an iPhone. One week ago, I was about to go for an LG G4 or HTC One M9. But I thought about my evergoing syncing problem. So what is it with iOS 8?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
iOS 9 is much laggier than iOS 8 on my iPhone 6.You WILL get animation stutters and lag if you upgrade to iOS 9

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Just like i don't know any "Serial Complainers" just people on iPhone 5S's that aren't enjoying iOS 9 for various reasons. It goes both ways.
Lol at reading that on a thread where one of the most famous serial complainer posted e couple of post above your... Not even owning an iPhone 5S
[doublepost=1457858851][/doublepost]
Hello again and thanks so much for all your hints and information. I will upgrade no problem to 9.2.1 but I'm curious, what's the grudge agains iOS 8. Cannot know, never played with it before. My iPad came with iOS 9. For now, what I absolutely want is for Calendar, Mail, Notes, Reminders, Safari, Photos and iTunes to sync flawlessy. Syncing is the main raison I'm getting an iPhone. One week ago, I was about to go for an LG G4 or HTC One M9. But I thought about my evergoing syncing problem. So what is it with iOS 8?
Nothing. iOS 8 is fine. Especially the last version.
iOS 9 is just better, with some interesting new functionalities. Not to speak about security patches closed in iOS 9 and still present on iOS 8.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Lol at reading that on a thread where one of the most famous serial complainer posted e couple of post above your... Not even owning an iPhone 5S
[doublepost=1457858851][/doublepost]
Nothing. iOS 8 is fine. Especially the last version.
iOS 9 is just better, with some interesting new functionalities. Not to speak about security patches closed in iOS 9 and still present on iOS 8.
If the iPhone 6 has a slowdown what do you think is gonna happen on a 5s?

mtx4

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2016
I can confirm that ios 9 on 5s is slower then ios 8, every animations has lag and stutters.
The phone is fast the same, but animations aren't so smooth.
If i could come back I would remain with ios 8

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

If you're going to go around labelling people 'Serial Complainers' then you'll have to accept that there are also 'Serial Defenders'.
[doublepost=1457867789][/doublepost]
I can confirm that ios 9 on 5s is slower then ios 8, every animations has lag and stutters.
The phone is fast the same, but animations aren't so smooth.
If i could come back I would remain with ios 8
These are similar to my own observations. Its not significantly slower, but animations do stutter far more than iOS 8.
[doublepost=1457868048][/doublepost]
So what is it with iOS 8

There is nothing wrong with iOS 8.4.1 compared to iOS 9. I would urge you to try out a 5S with iOS 9, and also wait for 9.3, as it is apparently faster.

Reactions: iOSUser7

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
OP: wait for 9.3 and then upgrade. 9.2.1 is good in 5s but there ARE cosmetic issues. 9.3 fixes many of them.

Reactions: oldmacs

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
iPhone 6 hasn't any slowdowns and so hasn't iPhone 5s that has an even lower resolution display
But an even less powerful SoC.

OP : iOS 9 is as fast as iOS 8 for the most part but all animations and transitions are laggier so depending on the person, you have different opinions about the speed.
Personnally, I think iOS 9 is usable on a 5s but I have to agree it has more bugs (UI bugs, things that stop working randomly) and I'm attentive to every little details so I feel like it's slower than iOS 8.

Bottom line, you said you have iOS 9 on your iPad, if you are perfectly fine with it, go ahead and upgrade it could run even better on your iPhone (in my experience, iPhones and suffering less from slowdown in iOS).

Last edited:

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Do you really think the power of the SoC has anything to do with UI performance?
Of course it has, are you even serious with that question ? Just look at how poorly iOS 7 runs on the A4 chip of the iPhone 4 compared to any other device.

System optimization is also a part of how the UI performs of course, but the device power is also a big part of it.

Reactions: oldmacs

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Of course it has, are you even serious with that question ? Just look at how poorly iOS 7 runs on the A4 chip of the iPhone 4 compared to any other device.

System optimization is also a part of how the UI performs of course, but the device power is also a big part of it.
You can't compare an A4 with an A7. An A7 is able to run tasks much more demanding that iOS UI

The A7 is still better than many (most?) of the midrange competitors

Last edited:

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
I hesitantly moved to iOS 9 on the 5S when I got an Apple Watch last month. It's pretty much exactly what is described in the above posts: animations are less smooth, but the overall speed/user experience is about the same otherwise. It's an acceptable update but not wholly necessary.

As always, it makes sense to stay put on the current OS unless there is a want/need strong enough to risk a slowdown. In my case that was the Apple Watch, but I am now also enjoying the benefits of Safari ad blockers and the News app. It's all about what is more important to you. iPhones almost always run best on the generation of OS that originally ships with them.

Reactions: iOSUser7

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
You can't compare an A4 with an A7. An A7 is able to run tasks much more demanding that iOS UI

The A7 is still better than many (most?) of the midrange competitors

And yet Apple can't make animations run smoothly. The iPad Mini 2 runs like a cheap android tablet under iOS 9, with all the stuttering. The 5S isn't as bad as the iPad but it's still noticeable and serval people on this thread have agreed with that.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
And yet Apple can't make animations run smoothly. The iPad Mini 2 runs like a cheap android tablet under iOS 9, with all the stuttering. The 5S isn't as bad as the iPad but it's still noticeable and serval people on this thread have agreed with that.
I'm using iOS 9 on even older iPad mini first generation, and while they aren't speed champions they surely aren't like cheap android tablets...
All this fuss is greatly exaggerated by you and many others.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'm using iOS 9 on even older iPad mini first generation, and while they aren't speed champions they surely aren't like cheap android tablets...
All this fuss is greatly exaggerated by you and many others.

It all comes down to what you think is acceptable. One of the biggest annoyances of android tablets I used to find was stuttering animations, It brought the whole experience of the tablet down, and iPads used to be immune to it, but now my iPad mini 2 feels just like it. Random stutters here there and everywhere.

Anyway, OP, you can clearly see that you may find iOS 9 is not as smooth as iOS 8 on your 5S so carefully consider your choices :)

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It all comes down to what you think is acceptable. One of the biggest annoyances of android tablets I used to find was stuttering animations, It brought the whole experience of the tablet down, and iPads used to be immune to it, but now my iPad mini 2 feels just like it. Random stutters here there and everywhere.

Anyway, OP, you can clearly see that you may find iOS 9 is not as smooth as iOS 8 on your 5S so carefully consider your choices :)
The biggest annoyance of android tablets I used was ... android.

Anyway, OP, iOS 9.2.1 is better in any way than iOS 8. And the iPhone 5S still is a fantastic device. No point in avoiding the upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.