Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Prove it, for each and every item I mentioned going back 5 years ago, since you mentioned years.
Okay
Live Photos, continuity, hand off, self timer, night shift, low power mode, search bar in settings, FaceTime from spotlight, proactive, mass transit, quick type formatting, notes sketch, keyboard, wifi assist, back button, slide to select photo, hide photo, passcode length, battery usage plus others. other than that nothing new.
Live Photos- HTC Zoe.Been there since the HTC M7 days .In fact if you own a Nokia Lumia,I have been using this feature since 2011 in the form of Cinemagraph

Search bar in settings-Touchwiz and Sense have had this for years.Every manufacturer added this

FaceTime from spotlight-Use Action Centre launcher.Swipe from the left and launch Skype

Proactive-Google Now has been doing this ever since it was introduced.I use Google Now over Siri on my iPhone

Mass transit-Lol.Google Maps had this for how many years now?

Quick type formatting-Swiftkey and almost any decent keyboard customisation app

Notes Sketch-Google Keep

Keyboard-Almost all the keyboards on Android are superior to iOS.Ever try the one handed keyboard like I did?You will wish you had one if you own the 6 plus

Wifi assist-You mean the feature which is pointless and gobbled up gigabytes of my Data Plan.The feature is bad and Apple should feel bad for not optimising it even now

Back button-Been there since 2010.Even better it doesn't block my carrier signal status

Slide to select-Again standard feature on Nexus.But I don't even need it on Android as using the File Manager makes me 10x more productive

Hide photo-Standard feature

Passcode length-Take any decent lock screen app on the play store and you can even set till 10 digits.The gesture unlock is so much better though

Battery usage-Lol it's been there since 2011

Continuity-Pushbullet app has been doing this since out was invented but I concede for Continuity and Handoff there is no proper solution until you root the phone

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
First, whether or not you use the features or care about them doesn't mean that they aren't part of the release. Second, let's at least get things right if we are going to say something is wrong: Low Power Mode and additional Battery Usage statistics are in fact new to iOS 9. Back button as in going to the previous app you were in is not the same as swiping from left edge and is new. Various other features that "nobody uses" are actually used by a lot of people.
The problem with the back button is it's located at the top (blocking the cellular status I might add) where you have to stretch your thumb all the way which is not ergonomic so you either have to double tap to bring it down and then tap on it or just use the app switcher.Either way it's redundant.I never use it

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The problem with the back button is it's located at the top (blocking the cellular status I might add) where you have to stretch your thumb all the way which is not ergonomic so you either have to double tap to bring it down and then tap on it or just use the app switcher.Either way it's redundant.I never use it
And various other people use it just fine.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
How can you say 9.3 is "significantly better" since it isn't yet released ?
I mean, you are probably right, I know, but you can't really judge iOS 9.3 by the beta, since beta are inherently subjected to change (and unstable also in performance ).

Because it is? Just because it's not "released" yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's definitely better and stable as well.

OP, iOS 9 has very few new features over iOS 8. I think there's apple news which is updated and siri is smarter. Only the ipad got significant feature changes in iOS 9. So even if you don't upgrade to iOS 9, you won't be missing anything. I have a 6S running iOS 9 and a 5S for work running iOS 8 and there's nothing different about the UI or features on the 5S.

Completely incorrect and false information

Android has had these features for years ....
So? How does this relate to this particular discussion around iOS 8 vs 9?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Okay

Live Photos- HTC Zoe.Been there since the HTC M7 days .In fact if you own a Nokia Lumia,I have been using this feature since 2011 in the form of Cinemagraph

Search bar in settings-Touchwiz and Sense have had this for years.Every manufacturer added this

FaceTime from spotlight-Use Action Centre launcher.Swipe from the left and launch Skype

Proactive-Google Now has been doing this ever since it was introduced.I use Google Now over Siri on my iPhone

Mass transit-Lol.Google Maps had this for how many years now?

Quick type formatting-Swiftkey and almost any decent keyboard customisation app

Notes Sketch-Google Keep

Keyboard-Almost all the keyboards on Android are superior to iOS.Ever try the one handed keyboard like I did?You will wish you had one if you own the 6 plus

Wifi assist-You mean the feature which is pointless and gobbled up gigabytes of my Data Plan.The feature is bad and Apple should feel bad for not optimising it even now

Back button-Been there since 2010.Even better it doesn't block my carrier signal status

Slide to select-Again standard feature on Nexus.But I don't even need it on Android as using the File Manager makes me 10x more productive

Hide photo-Standard feature

Passcode length-Take any decent lock screen app on the play store and you can even set till 10 digits.The gesture unlock is so much better though

Battery usage-Lol it's been there since 2011

Continuity-Pushbullet app has been doing this since out was invented but I concede for Continuity and Handoff there is no proper solution until you root the phone
Some of these are specific to one phone and not standard across android like Live Photos in 2016 on iOS. Skype is not an integrated solution as FaceTime or iMessage. Passcode is more than 10. Wifi assist? I had it on for a few days now and it burned through....421kb.

I don't know how many of the others are standard across android and I concede google maps and search.

Reactions: Max(IT)

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Some of these are specific to one phone and not standard across android like Live Photos in 2016 on iOS. Skype is not an integrated solution as FaceTime or iMessage. Passcode is more than 10. Wifi assist? I had it on for a few days now and it burned through....421kb.

I don't know how many of the others are standard across android and I concede google maps and search.
Live Photos is also specific to 2 phones.ios 9 on iPhone 6 and 5s and 5 does not include Live Photos

Skype is a very good alternative for FaceTime with the added integration of Android and Windows

And yeah all the others like the lockscreen and other apps are standard with Android.Hardly anyone uses Stock Android so TouchWiz and Sense already have some of these features since the beginning

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Live Photos is also specific to 2 phones.ios 9 on iPhone 6 and 5s and 5 does not include Live Photos

Skype is a very good alternative for FaceTime with the added integration of Android and Windows

And yeah all the others like the lockscreen and other apps are standard with Android.Hardly anyone uses Stock Android so TouchWiz and Sense already have some of these features since the beginning
Live Photos will be a future standard on all iPhones so don't go there. Skype is not integrated, an alternative as you said. Just like whatsapp is a "good" alternative to iMessage.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Live Photos will be a future standard on all iPhones so don't go there. Skype is not integrated, an alternative as you said. Just like whatsapp is a "good" alternative to iMessage.
So you think Live Photos will remain exclusive to S7?Its Android.Only a matter of time before Sony and the others have it

What do you mean integrated?I use Skype more than FaceTime.Its just as good if not better simply because it's updated far more rapidly than FaceTime

iMessage has no alternative I admit

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So you think Live Photos will remain exclusive to S7?Its Android.Only a matter of time before Sony and the others have it

What do you mean integrated?I use Skype more than FaceTime.Its just as good if not better simply because it's updated far more rapidly than FaceTime

What does any of this have to do with iOS 8 vs. 9 on iPhone 5s or iOS devices in general, which is what this thread is about? How does Android relate to it in any way?

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Ok dokey, so download skype and use it then. I don't have to download or configure FaceTime and it just works. Live Photos is standard on all future iPhones to the 6s, not sure of your point. Android will eventually copy this across the product line.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
What does any of this have to do with iOS 8 vs. 9 on iPhone 5s or iOS devices in general, which is what this thread is about? How does Android relate to it in any way?

He is stating its a feature packed release when its not.The ONLY innovative features here are the iPad exlcusive enhancements and Night Shift

Ok dokey, so download skype and use it then. I don't have to download or configure FaceTime and it just works. Live Photos is standard on all future iPhones to the 6s, not sure of your point. Android will eventually copy this across the product line.

You know whats the biggest problem with Facetime?Not everyone uses an iPhone.But everyone sure as hell has Skype

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
He is stating its a feature packed release when its not.The ONLY innovative features here are the iPad exlcusive enhancements and Night Shift

You know whats the biggest problem with Facetime?Not everyone uses an iPhone.But everyone sure as hell has Skype
And what does that have to do with Android?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
And what does that have to do with Android?
Those are the features Android does not have.This makes it real innovation.If we had more unique features like a proper night mode,a file manager I would call it a feature packed releadse

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

I have and use FaceTime but I don't have e don't use Skype, so your "everyone sure as hell has skype" figure is plain false.

Btw , once again, you ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS post negative comments about Apple, their hardware and their software.
The question is still the same: Why are still using it ? You clearly prefer android, and believe me iOS won't be like android (fortunately I'd add). NEVER.
Like Apple won't build a smartphone like Samsung.
Why not to sell your iPhone and be happy with any android device, posting on a forum like android central about how satisfied you are ?
I really can't understand you...
I wouldn't keep a product that doesn't fit for my needs.
Unless you are doing something else here, but that's up to the moderators to decide...

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

First, it's only your opinion it's not a feature packed release, it's my opinion it is. Secondly, I don't have skype as my circle mostly has iPhones; which FaceTime is a secure communication platform(skype isn't, MS admitted there are back doors in it)

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Ok. Let's get things straight.
Firstly, I'm not an 'Apple Hater'. Take one look at my signature and you'll understand. Anyway.

1. iOS 9 is not a major release.
It does not have any groundbreaking features other than Night Shift and iPad split screen multitasking.
What it does have, are convenient tweaks and improvements/changes. As to be expected.

2. iOS 9's animations aren't as fluid as they could be.
This is mainly due to the re-writing of core iOS with Metal. They are simply not as refined as iOS 8 which used OpenGL.
iOS 9 does not have any feature which justifies the choppier animations. Whether this matters to you or not is another conversation.

Now - OP. Don't update straight away. Go to an Apple Store and thoroughly use the display 5s phones running iOS 9.
Decide whether the tweaks are worth it for you - but remember - once you update you can't go back.
Either stay on iOS 8, or update to iOS 9. Or, wait until 9.3 (or later) to see if things have changed.

As you can tell, there is no simple answer. Everyone has an opinion and this is the only way to form your own.
I had a 5s and regretted updating to 9.0.0. I swiftly upgraded to an iPhone 6 which I kept on iOS 8 up until I got my phone warranty replaced and it came with iOS 9. Maybe things have changed for the 5s on 9.2.1 compared to 9.0.0, but right now I'm past it.

Reactions: trifid and oldmacs

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Firstly, I'm not an 'Apple Hater'. Take one look at my signature and you'll understand. Anyway.

It does not have any groundbreaking features other than Night Shift and iPad split screen multitasking.
What it does have, are convenient tweaks and improvements/changes. As to be expected.

This is mainly due to the re-writing of core iOS with Metal. They are simply not as refined as iOS 8 which used OpenGL.
iOS 9 does not have any feature which justifies the choppier animations. Whether this matters to you or not is another conversation.

Now - OP. Don't update straight away. Go to an Apple Store and thoroughly use the display 5s phones running iOS 9.
Decide whether the tweaks are worth it for you - but remember - once you update you can't go back.
Either stay on iOS 8, or update to iOS 9. Or, wait until 9.3 (or later) to see if things have changed.

As you can tell, there is no simple answer. Everyone has an opinion and this is the only way to form your own.
I had a 5s and regretted updating to 9.0.0. I swiftly upgraded to an iPhone 6 which I kept on iOS 8 up until I got my phone warranty replaced and it came with iOS 9. Maybe things have changed for the 5s on 9.2.1 compared to 9.0.0, but right now I'm past it.
Features are features, and different things are useful to different people. Some will find just content blocking alone or low power more alone "groundbreaking" and useful enough for them than anything else.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Features are features, and different things are useful to different people. Some will find just content blocking alone or low power more alone "groundbreaking" and useful enough for them than anything else.

Sure. That's why it's best to try it out for yourself.

I'm just speaking from personal experience, and I'm using the magnitudes of past iOS releases as a scale. Sure, I might have found the 'tweet from notification centre' feature in iOS 6 very useful, but no matter how useful it is, it's still a small feature for the majority.

Again, this is why it's so difficult to make a point - people will argue for the sake of arguing. Let's just conclude, for the sake of the OP, that the best thing to do is to 'try before you buy'.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Hello again and thanks so much for all your hints and information. I will upgrade no problem to 9.2.1 but I'm curious, what's the grudge agains iOS 8. Cannot know, never played with it before. My iPad came with iOS 9. For now, what I absolutely want is for Calendar, Mail, Notes, Reminders, Safari, Photos and iTunes to sync flawlessy. Syncing is the main raison I'm getting an iPhone. One week ago, I was about to go for an LG G4 or HTC One M9. But I thought about my evergoing syncing problem. So what is it with iOS 8?

It's just come to my attention that there is something important that we all seem to have missed touching on: The possibility that the device will not actually come with iOS 8. The device will likely come with iOS 9 pre-installed as it's been out for about 6 months now. If it does you will not have a choice and you cannot downgrade.

If this happens then you should update to the latest version of iOS 9 for performance and bug fixes if it isn't on it already.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
It's just come to my attention that there is something important that we all seem to have missed touching on: The possibility that the device will not actually come with iOS 8. The device will likely come with iOS 9 pre-installed as it's been out for about 6 months now. If it does you will not have a choice and you cannot downgrade.

If this happens then you should update to the latest version of iOS 9 for performance and bug fixes if it isn't on it already.

Yep. *Personally* I would keep it on iOS 8 if it came with iOS 8 in the first place. Otherwise, update to the latest version of iOS 9.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011

Nice to see a balanced and honest post for a change ;)

Reactions: SuperKerem

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

100% agree with you.But in my opinion there is no worthwhile increase in utility on iOS 9 for iPhone 5s which merits the huge decline in animation quality.Night Shift and adblockers are the only missing features.Personally I would even PAY Apple 50 bucks to downgrade all my devices to 8.4.1.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
It's nice to see a post that acknowledges one opinion in a nice way.:)
'One opinion' which is.......
Encouraging the OP to try something before he/she makes up his/her mind, after giving logical reasoning to do so?

Please don't start unnecessary arguments :)
[doublepost=1458147661][/doublepost]
100% agree with you.But in my opinion there is no worthwhile increase in utility on iOS 9 for iPhone 5s which merits the huge decline in animation quality.Night Shift and adblockers are the only missing features.Personally I would even PAY Apple 50 bucks to downgrade all my devices to 8.4.1.

I also believe there is no worthwhile increase in utility on iOS 9 for the 5s - but I wouldn't dare say such a thing on the Internet due to the arguments that would follow!
"ANOTHER prejudiced bigoted Apple hating SCUM! Let's see YOU make a better OS!!11!1!!!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.