Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Aqua Window Controls for MacOS (High) Sierra & OS X El Capitan - New and Improved Version

WindowControls-AquaBlue.png
WIndowControls-AquaGraphite.png

Newly updated with an improved Aqua look. Includes color and graphite versions for both Retina and standard displays!

Download from Dropbox - For MacOS High Sierra, MacOS Sierra, and OS X El Capitan

See the included Read Me file for how to install!

Important: This version supports MacOS High Sierra, MacOS Sierra, and OS X El Capitan. It is not compatible with Mojave and Catalina. The next version will be compatible with Mojave and Catalina (and not High Sierra or earlier), based on the SystemAppearance files from Catalina, and will have another refined look (post #77).​

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
The window controls (traffic lights) in recent MacOS versions I always thought were very bland, one of the worst aspects of the redesign. I’ve experimented with replacing them since OS X Yosemite. More recently, using Photoshop CS6 and ThemeEngine, I created these Leopard-inspired Aqua window controls and modded the Sierra SystemAppearance file with them.

traffic-lights-png.713528
View attachment 714025

The custom window controls work with any app using the native light-mode MacOS window controls, on Retina or non-Retina displays. The MacOS high contrast mode uses a different assets file, so it won't work if you have "Increase contrast" on.

Tested on:
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
MacOS Sierra 10.12.6
MacOS High Sierra (Beta)

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tanbtolpctyaf0/

See the included Read Me file for how to install!

Good way to give your Mac some uniqueness; or just enjoy a touch of Apple's older UI styling, but still new and not just taken straight from the older OS. :)
Excellent work! It looks great. By the way, I think you can also apply the theme without logging out if you use the command killall Finder & killall SystemUIServer.

Now all we need is some way to get a nice compromise between the scroll bars of OS X and macOS… I miss that blue barber's pole masked beneath the bar.

ZQOnjtD.gif

Reactions: redheeler

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Excellent work! It looks great. By the way, I think you can also apply the theme without logging out if you use the command killall Finder & killall SystemUIServer.

Now all we need is some way to get a nice compromise between the scroll bars of OS X and macOS… I miss that blue barber's pole masked beneath the bar.

ZQOnjtD.gif
I have experimented with Aqua scrollbars and some other UI elements besides the traffic lights. Pretty much impossible to get the the lighting/texture inside the scrollbar to work as it did in pre-10.7 versions of Mac OS X, but it can still be given an Aqua look (although not without some bugs, as you see here the horizontal scrollbar is upside-down and there is no inactive state, meaning they stay blue all the time even with windows in the foreground).
Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 8.52.46 AM.png

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Reactions: Appleak

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Great work! Good to see that some theming is still possible on mac.
I'm going to stick with Flavours for as long as I can though.

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Downloaded and installed - grey looks is stunning, but I find the colored bit too saturated? Any chance to tone it down a bit...Mavericks like perhaps?:)

one more thing - are the Aqua buttons same size as the default ones? they seem a tad too big

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Downloaded and installed - grey looks is stunning, but I find the colored bit too saturated? Any chance to tone it down a bit...Mavericks like perhaps?:)
OS X Mavericks:
titlebarcontrols.graphite.key.utilwin.variant2.zoom.png

My Version:
Graphite.png

You can see they're pretty much the same color. Sadly mine doesn't match the rest of the UI as well, as Apple switched to a dark gray in OS X Yosemite instead of the original Mac OS X graphite color. Doesn't really bother me as the difference is subtle.
one more thing - are the Aqua buttons same size as the default ones? they seem a tad too big
I chose the Mac OS X Snow Leopard and earlier size over the Lion and later size, which luckily still displays fine in the current MacOS. Have a note about this at the bottom of the read-me file.

Reactions: Appleak

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Sorry my bad! I meant to say the colored, 'semaphore' like version seems bit saturated... grey one is perfect :)

do you happen to have a version of those .car files with Mavericks like size please? or any tips how to make it :)))

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Experimenting with theming some more elements aside from the traffic lights. This is the recreation of Aqua I've come up with.
Aqua-Recreation.png

Unlike the old Aqua, this recreation is optimized for Retina displays, and white (instead of black) text necessitates a darker Aqua blue for the modern MacOS. Still some work to go before I can release it, though.

Edit:
Not enough room for circular buttons, but this still looks pretty good.
Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 12.31.34 PM.png

Last edited:

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
The Title Bar can be a little darker shades of grey to match Leopard... The entire interface is still too much white...

jgdeschamps

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Congrats on your work! Can't wait for you to release the UI button customization script.
I still have a partition with Snow Leopard in my 2008 iMac and I love working on it because of the beautiful Aqua graphics.
Thanks for making public your work.

Reactions: Jonathan Leclerc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.