Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
USA
I counted 11 seconds into the Ad and i heard it. It's very subtle, I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't read about it. Actually, I still couldn't hear it until it was said where in the ad it was.

puuukeey

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2004
tristate area
this entire security debate is worthless. I hate windows as much as the next guy but can anyone really compare the two when the public persona and market shares are so completely different?

buy a computer. keep it as secure as you can. and for god sake stop provoking windows users!!!! We have a good thing going here. the longer we can hold off the onslaught of viri the better

again I LOVE APPLE. but many of these ads make value judgements which aren't true.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
this guy clearly hates mac ads (oh and macs themselves, as well as mac users!)

I agree that the new ad is the funniest yet. Had me in stitches! :D

EDIT:
Oops! Sorry. Should 'a checked to see if it had already been posted!

Thanks for the link. I think that article was funnier than the Apple add. Ahh, how I miss English papers up here

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
I'll join the chorus and say that this is, by far, the best of the lot. I actually laughed at it, rather than smiling or ignoring it.

"You are pointing out Vista's flaws... Cancel or Allow?"

In the middle of speaking, "Allow," and continues on with natural flow of conversation.

"You are coming to a sad realization... Cancel or Allow?"

"... Allow."

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
The problem is that a lot of anti-Vista attitudes have been because people say that features have been stolen from OSX. The fact is that if I am an average PC user and I like gadgets and search, I'm not going to care if they were in OSX first...at least now apple are targeting Vista's problems which even the low-end user will be irritated by...

This is a very important point that has been too-overlooked. You are absolutely right. What's important is to highlight the differences between the OSes now, not engaging in finger-pointing over who did what first. What matters is the current user experience, which this ad addresses nicely.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Well, I used Vista today in an office store after buying some things, but it wasn't connected to the internet. It wasn't horrible, definitely better than XP, I guess it was pleasing to the eye, but that's really where is stops. I couldn't use Windows Media Center because it was a guest account, IE7 I had already used, and the Sidebar was sub-par to Dashboard, in my opinion. I assume that some people will enjoy dragging "gadgets" to the desktop though. I opened a couple windows and used the (I want to say command) button + tab "expose". It seems nice except it took me much longer to get to the window than squeezing my mouse, hovering over the window in a second, and suqeezing my mouse again.

At least it's an improvement.

BillyShears

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2003

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
Yeah ... but it's less the stupid, annoying pop-ups and speech balloons, than the fact that you will never, ever figure out how to turn many of them off.
And people just don't seem to understand that it's the sum total of all these little annoyances that add up to the dismal user experience of Windows.

Very well said. I was thinking... There's a lot of people out there who use computers to do just the things they have to do for school or work. Nearly all of them do these thing on windows, because that's the way it is, MS has the 90% of the market. These people don't need and they do not want to know more about computers, so, somehow, there is perhaps a point having all these annoying popups and balloons - to prevent people from doing things they didn't intend to do.

The problem starts when you actually begin to take an interest in your computer, and you begin to understand more or less what's going on. And after a while you know quite a lot, and you are confident and able to cope with some difficult situations and problems.. That's exactly when windows becomes annoying (and unreliable, and all the other things people mention in this thread).

At that point, I personally paid the extra money (that's a factor too) and I got a mac, and, oh yes, I'm not going back. But what I'm suggesting here is that microsoft has to deal somehow with a very real problem, that many users are not 100% aware of what they're doing on their machines at any given time, and they're 90% likely to do that on a windows machine...

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
He does say it, but it gets cut off after "what the fuh", you can hear the f. Funny commercial.

Actually, I turned on the closed caption on the commercial to see the transcript and what he says is "OK, what gives?"

Nevermind. I see that people are referring to a different part of the ad.

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Yeah this is probably the least pretentious and most accurate Mac commercial yet! Most of them make me feel a bit ashamed or worried. Tell the world why Macs are good, not why PCs are bad.

I hated the "no virus" commercials!! Jeese, stop goading those jerk hackers into making a virus just for Macs!

As far as the "WTF", it almost seems like it was a take Mac thought would be removed, but instead they just clipped him at the right moment. Pretty Funny!

The whole Gates comment... 90% of the population uses PCs assumes 100% of the population uses computers, and that's not true. Also, just because people 90% of computer users use PCs doesn't mean they don't also use Macs as soon as they humanly can after leaving their offices.

ANOTHER thing about those percentages is- Most PCs are used by and sold to businesses. But what's the percentage of consumers that use PCs or Macs? People who actually purchased their own computers to use. I'm sure Mac has a much larger share, more like 25-30%.

BillyShears

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2003
Very well said. I was thinking... There's a lot of people out there who use computers to do just the things they have to do for school or work. Nearly all of them do these thing on windows, because that's the way it is, MS has the 90% of the market. These people don't need and they do not want to know more about computers, so, somehow, there is perhaps a point having all these annoying popups and balloons - to prevent people from doing things they didn't intend to do.

I disagree. If the task is risky, it shouldn't prompt you, it just shouldn't do it. If the system is well-designed, I mean. If you don't know much about computers, what are the chances you're going to know which option to choose when prompted? Too many prompts also makes the user not care about which answer they choose -- witness how many people click OK every time a dialog box comes up without reading it.

At the very least, the prompts should be unobtrusive, as in Outlook/IE/Firefox where a little bar appears at the top of the window saying, "Such and such has been disabled, click here to enable them."

Re: The example of software prompting you for a username and password on Mac OS X... that only happens if the app requires certain permissions. Ideally, most apps wouldn't. If I install a text editor, it shouldn't ask me for that. If I install a system update, it should. So users shouldn't be bothered by it too much, especially since they probably won't be installing too many apps!

I haven't seen Vista, but here's an example in XP (I don't know if OS X does anything similar, but I don't recall it doing so). If I have a shortcut to a program on my desktop, and drag it to the Recycle Bin, it brings up a prompt telling me, "This doesn't UNINSTALL the app, it only deletes the shortcut -- to uninstall uses Add/Remove Programs. [ Delete shortcut | Cancel ]"

First of all, that action isn't harmful, so why is Cancel an option? It would be trivial to take the shortcut out of the Recycle Bin if I made a mistake, and it would be trivial to create a new shortcut even if I permanently removed the shortcut.

So the prompt is just informational. It says, "Hey this might not do what you think it does!" To me, this is just bad design. If it doesn't do what the user thinks it does, it just isn't designed well. The prompt is a kludge.

I think that's what this ad is getting at, and I guess the prompts are more prominent in Vista since it has more emphasis on security.

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
If the task is risky, it shouldn't prompt you, it just shouldn't do it. If the system is well-designed, I mean. .

You just said it...if it's well designed. But it seems to me now (ie after I got my mac) that windows are not, are they. So MS have to fight with that too...

MS's strategy for developing windows is much more of a headache that apple's is. I mean if you don't take into account the expectations of mac users...(see other threats on how leopard should look like, features etc...)

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
What do you mean exactly when you say "Upgradeable" like software wise or hardware?

Both.

And do a little more research before you try to pass as believable because you "listen" to both sides by backing both platforms.

Mac Pro motherboards use socketed chips. You can upgrade your processor. Mac Pros utilize 4 PCI express card slots, thats 300 W for possibly 4 GFX cards. That math gives you 8 displays from 1 machine and 4 dual link cards. Mac Pro RAM is a cinch to upgrade, you can go up to 16GB of DDR2. 2 optical drive bays and 4 ATA HD bays should be sufficient. Sounds upgradeable in the hardware category. And you could do a lot of the shopping from other retailers.

In the software category, you would most likely see a glorious 5 years of support, at least, from those OS upgrades that roll out at pleasant 18 month intervals. Tiger is still running away on my 6 year old iMac, I'm welcoming another 2 with Leopard. (That is an iMac that has only seen one hard drive failure in 6 years, the only part replaced since I bought it January 2001. And amazingly, I ran Final Cut on it. 10 minute clips would take 24 hours to render, and I thought the case would melt! The old school iMacs use convection to cool, no fans.)

slidingjon

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2005
Coralville, Iowa
I just watched the ad, I did find it really funny, but I find the point of Apple making the ad to be really stupid. In the end it says something along the lines of why get Vista and have to upgrade your PC when you can just get an Apple.

1. PCs are wwwwwaaayyyy cheaper. Being that I am not the richest guy in the world I've actually been thinking about forgetting the idea of getting a Mac and buying a new PC for that fact alone. The Macbook I want would be 3800 dollars. I could just build a new PC off Tiger Direct with better cards, processor, video card and everything for half the price of the Macbook.

2. It makes everyone think Vista is so great that you have to upgrade your computer for it to even handle it!.

In reality Vistas requirements are as follows

Windows Vista Ultimate
Recommended system requirements

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
* 1 GB of system memory
* 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
o WDDM Driver
o 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
o Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
o 32 bits per pixel
* DVD-ROM
* Audio Output
* Internet access (fees may apply)

I have a PC from 2002 and it meets all these requirements.

3. I actually rather know whats going on and have those pop ups being that I like knowing hey, my OS just blocked a lot of stuff from coming in, how do I know? It told me! And if it gets annoying, you don't have to turn it off, all you have to do is tell it to remember what things you do. Say you go on a site a lot, instead of always asking if want certain parts of the site to come thru all you have to do is tell it to remember the site!

I don't know, I like Macs a lot, but I have no beef with PCs, when I want to get my gaming done I rather be on a PC. But that's just me. It just seems to me that too many people are one sided on the issue. I like both.

Bill Gates: Do you post these yourself or do you pay someone to write these? Just wondering.

p.s. you should go get yourself a new PC. Good riddance....sucker!

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
The problem starts when you actually begin to take an interest in your computer, and you begin to understand more or less what's going on. And after a while you know quite a lot, and you are confident and able to cope with some difficult situations and problems.. That's exactly when windows becomes annoying (and unreliable, and all the other things people mention in this thread).

Very well said. That's exactly what happened to me, and why I wanted a Mac in the first place. :D

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
The problem is that a lot of anti-Vista attitudes have been because people say that features have been stolen from OSX.

Not me. :)
I'm anti-Vista because the OS is terrible IMO; I could care less what they did or did not copy off of anyone else's OS and implement into Vista. :p

I base my hatred off poor performance and the fact that its not a worthwhile upgrade. :D
People would be better off with XP but that's not the advertising spin that Microsoft will put on it of course.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
1. PCs are wwwwwaaayyyy cheaper. Being that I am not the richest guy in the world I've actually been thinking about forgetting the idea of getting a Mac and buying a new PC for that fact alone. The Macbook I want would be 3800 dollars. I could just build a new PC off Tiger Direct with better cards, processor, video card and everything for half the price of the Macbook.
This part of your post really reflects badly on your understanding of PCs.

First Point: A MacBook is a laptop. You are comparing the cost of a laptop to a desktop that you are going to build.

Second Point: How much did you pay for a new copy of Windows Vista and other applications for your Windows home built PC. Retail price is rather high. Did you include that in your cost estimate for the PC? Bet not. Most do it yourself folks do not include the price of software because they rip it off. When you figure in the cost of the operating system, etc. the price is increased considerably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.