Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm glad you aren't at Apple and in charge because there would literally never ever be any innovation.

Ignoring the "big grin" smiley I tacked on at the end, are you suggesting any of that is innovation?

To me innovation in new iPhones would substitute a pretty inconsequential benefit of "thinner" for- say- more battery life. No one gripes about the iPhones 5s being too thick, so a thinner 6 is solving who's problem exactly? The best thing about "thinner" vs. filling- say- iPhone 5s thinness with more battery is that "thinner" has a unit cost of about $0 while more battery would probably have a unit cost of a few more pennies or nickels per phone.

If this rumor has merit, apparently thinner has trumped what is possible with an embedded camera such that the camera will now need to protrude. Do we need that added thinness? What's that added thinness do for us consumers?

My post was half joking, poking at commonly-slung rationalizations of some of the people that hang out here.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I doubt it.... The most I could see them doing, which someone suggested, is to make it magnetic so that an add on could magnetically lock on around the lens module.

I'm guessing you didn't read the title on that patent I posted.

"Apple Invents Magnetic Add-On Lenses for iDevices"

;)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
This is just ugly, period. I don't know what else to say. I still have to think this will be far more polished looking when assembled.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
If they do have to go with a protruding camera lens I hope they do a better job than the iPod touch. That just feels rough and horrible. They need a smooth curve that you can run your finger across and not feel any jagged edges. All the other smartphones I've seen with this feature have managed to do it well.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I have no idea what it is made of. As I originally posted, that's all Apple has done with liquid metal, a SIM tool and now the claim of the logo on the iPhone 6.

Well, as I said, at first no one was saying that the sim tool was liquid metal. That took a year to be confirmed if I remember correctly. And, again, last year before the iPad releases there were claims that the embedded iPad logos were liquidmetal - that's what originally got me curious back then. I am telling you they are some kind of liquidmetal alloy. They are not aluminum, plastic, nickel, steel, or anything else that I've worked with. Again, if you have an educated guess I'd like to know, You do not know for sure that "all Apple has done with liquid metal" are the sim tools. That's even more of an uneducated guess than I am making because since when has Apple disclosed the composition of materials for all parts of their electronics? They haven't.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Well, as I said, at first no one was saying that the sim tool was liquid metal. That took a year to be confirmed if I remember correctly. And, again, last year before the iPad releases there were claims that the embedded iPad logos were liquidmetal - that's what originally got me curious back then. I am telling you they are some kind of liquidmetal alloy. They are not aluminum, plastic, nickel, steel, or anything else that I've worked with. Again, if you have an educated guess I'd like to know, You do not know for sure that "all Apple has done with liquid metal" are the sim tools. That's even more of an uneducated guess than I am making because since when has Apple disclosed the composition of materials for all parts of their electronics? They haven't.

Now that's funny.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
This is just ugly, period. I don't know what else to say. I still have to think this will be far more polished looking when assembled.

I remember when there were part leaks for the iPhone 5 it looked like it was made out of cast iron. Finished result looked a lot better!

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Protruding lens should be fine with a case but I think this makes it a better reason wait next year.

So because the camera on the iPhone 6 MIGHT have a protruding lens (just to remind you, it's a rumour), you're going to wait another year?

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Ignoring the "big grin" smiley I tacked on at the end, are you suggesting any of that is innovation?

To me innovation in new iPhones would substitute a pretty inconsequential benefit of "thinner" for- say- more battery life. No one gripes about the iPhones 5s being too thick, so a thinner 6 is solving who's problem exactly? The best thing about "thinner" vs. filling- say- iPhone 5s thinness with more battery is that "thinner" has a unit cost of about $0 while more battery would probably have a unit cost of a few more pennies or nickels per phone.

If this rumor has merit, apparently thinner has trumped what is possible with an embedded camera such that the camera will now need to protrude. Do we need that added thinness? What's that added thinness do for us consumers?

My post was half joking, poking at commonly-slung rationalizations of some of the people that hang out here.

First of all, rumors point to a higher capacity battery, which yes, a lot of, will likely be used for the larger screen and higher resolution, but also you aren't considering iOS 8 or A8 energy efficiency improvements. Secondly you have no idea whether or not people 'gripe' about the 5S being too thick. Also thinner has massive costs in R&D, and potentially materials too, if say it costs more to purchase the latest component which is thinner. So again you have no idea what you're talking about in respect to those things. Lastly, yes it's very plausible that the camera module currently cannot become thin enough to keep up with everything else, thus, it will protrude, exactly as it does on the iPod Touch 5G, and it is of no real consequence to use. We do need that added thinness for this larger device, both for comfort and lightness. Please tell me you'd be okay with an inch thick phone in 2014, if it had days of battery life. Thinness is innovation, unfortunately battery tech isn't innovating nearly as quickly as everything else, thus you'll likely retain the same or similar battery life, until new battery tech comes along. Please research graphene if you're interested in possible new battery tech. It could extended life to days or weeks and reduce recharge time to minutes.

Would you like an iPad that still looked and weighed the same as the first generation so that the battery could last significantly longer? In my opinion I want thinner and lighter, and to retain the same or get as much better battery life as possible. I understand you want longer battery life, which I do too, of course. You and I don't even know how much more battery life could be gained if Apple kept the iPhone 5S thickness and simply added more battery. That's something only Apple engineers knows.

GrabASnookie

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Raleigh
I don't believe it's real.

There is too much space between the lens and the body of the phone. Apple would have brought the two together as if it was one piece. I'd sell my Apple stock today if I thought this was a real photo.

busterbluth

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Protruding lens

I originally didn't care about the protruding lens because I always pick up my phone to use it(one handed Operation is key). But if the new iphone is too big for this, using it on a flat surface might happen more often, and in that case, this protruding lens will be annoying.

I also agree that the back looks cheap, and also there is a certain lack of precision that has been associated with apple design, let's hope this changes.

I know that apple doesn't necessarily care what people in these posts say, but when almost everyone's initial response to the design is, wow that's ugly, I would hope it makes them pause.

Let's just also hope that they actually asked a consumer or two if they would like better battery life.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Please, go on about how you managed to scratch the sapphire on the 5s...unless of courses you think that for some reason Apple will be downgrading the lens material on their new devices :rolleyes:

You clearly don't see where he is coming from, carrying even a few diamonds in your pocket can lead to a completely scratched up camera lens.

NoHands99

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Doesn't Apple have a patent for mag attachments for any idevice for their camera?! Don't be in such an up roar for a situation you don't fully understand.
Second I don't think this is a final model, IMO I believe the masked taped area will be inserted with the minimum of a glass insert of a sort. Seriously doubt this is the final look.
Third, we still won't know the whole truth til Sept 9.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
I'm guessing you didn't read the title on that patent I posted.

"Apple Invents Magnetic Add-On Lenses for iDevices"

;)
Touché

----------

If they do have to go with a protruding camera lens I hope they do a better job than the iPod touch. That just feels rough and horrible. They need a smooth curve that you can run your finger across and not feel any jagged edges. All the other smartphones I've seen with this feature have managed to do it well.

Really? All other smartphone cameras look awful to me. It's all ramped up to a plateau, just terrible.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
First of all, rumors point to a higher capacity battery, which yes, a lot of, will likely be used for the larger screen and higher resolution, but also you aren't considering iOS 8 or A8 energy efficiency improvements. Secondly you have no idea whether or not people 'gripe' about the 5S being too thick. Also thinner has massive costs in R&D, and potentially materials too, if say it costs more to purchase the latest component which is thinner. So again you have no idea what you're talking about in respect to those things. Lastly, yes it's very plausible that the camera module currently cannot become thin enough to keep up with everything else, thus, it will protrude, exactly as it does on the iPod Touch 5G, and it is of no real consequence to use. We do need that added thinness for this larger device, both for comfort and lightness. Please tell me you'd be okay with an inch thick phone in 2014, if it had days of battery life. Thinness is innovation, unfortunately battery tech isn't innovating nearly as quickly as everything else, thus you'll likely retain the same or similar battery life, until new battery tech comes along. Please research graphene if you're interested in possible new battery tech. It could extended life to days or weeks and reduce recharge time to minutes.

Would you like an iPad that still looked and weighed the same as the first generation so that the battery could last significantly longer? In my opinion I want thinner and lighter, and to retain the same or get as much better battery life as possible. I understand you want longer battery life, which I do too, of course. You and I don't even know how much more battery life could be gained if Apple kept the iPhone 5S thickness and simply added more battery. That's something only Apple engineers knows.

+1

It would be much easier for them to have a inch thick phone and just throw everything in there. They push the limits by making it thinner.

Making it thinner also pushes other components to keep up, meaning battery manufactures are forced to innovate and find ways to make batteries smaller and more efficient.

If Apple kept the same thickness year over year, there would be no motivation for battery makers to push innovation.

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
the sticking out camera lens is now bad for the spirit level ! :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
There is too much space between the lens and the body of the phone. Apple would have brought the two together as if it was one piece. I'd sell my Apple stock today if I thought this was a real photo.

That lens isn't attached to the body in any way shape or form. Look at the other pictures. They simply sat the completely separate part where the camera is located on the body. How would we know if the entire height of that will protrude? The chamfered edge could be the only part protruding for all we know.

----------

You clearly don't see where he is coming from, carrying even a few diamonds in your pocket can lead to a completely scratched up camera lens.

Plus you could always put your handful of diamonds in your other pocket.

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Well, if you want to believe this rumor, there's either a 5.5" part leak clearly pictured there or the 4.7" will have a protruding lens.

And note this:
First tangible "New Mac Pro" rumor June 5, 2013: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/05/apple-planning-something-really-different-for-new-mac-pro/

First time the public got to see one June 10, 2013: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-offers-sneak-peek-of-next-generation-mac-pro/

That's 5 days between tangible rumor and reveal for a completely new design that looks nothing at all like it's predecessor. Apple couldn't possibly do something like that with a 5.5" iPhone, which is primarily (visually) differentiated by a screen that is less than 1" bigger diagonally.

The only problem with your assumption is that the way workers works in China are the same as workers in USA. You know Mac Pro is made in USA only? Keeping this from a leak will be relatively easier. However, these iphones are made in China. How hard to bribe a iphone worker to take some leak pictures in China? You do realize that most of the leak Apple products pictures are coming from Chinese based tech site right? There is no secret in China if you got money, labor are dirt cheap here.

There are still no leak 5.5" parts ever shown in any Chinese tech site. That means, most likely, it doesn't exist at all.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
For all those saying you won't buy the phone over the bands, protruding lens, or whatever else, please don't. It'll make my pre-ordering experience go smoothly.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Of course not, I'm not part of such an underclass, I have my people carry my diamonds for me. :p

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
Copenhagen
If this is legit I'm keeping my iPhone 5... This design looks awful! The camera looks goofy and the plastic bands looks unbelievably cheap.

If this is in fact the next iPone I wish Jony would have spent more time on this, and less time doing gradients...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.