Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Until you try using it lying flat on a table (which I do often) and it's shaking and rattling around. Then your only thought will be "I can't believe I just spent $700 on this"...

If you're going to spend $700 in one go, without a contract, the benefits of the device would outweigh this problem.

After all, try using the first-gen iPad on a table (which people are far more likely to do with a tablet) - it moves when tapping the screen because the back is not flat. It didn't stop it being a great device and selling 300,000 units on day 1.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
A separate Apple logo piece adds time and money to production. Seems odd Apple would go that route. I don't see how it improves the end product. And, unlike a Mac (any), the logo is usually obscured by a cover. So if the point is to make a prettier Apple logo it's a waste of Apple's $ for little return on investment.

Yeah, they could’ve achieved something like this with less manufacturing overhead (logo cutout, separate insert, assembly of the two), so that leads me to believe there’s something to it beyond just the aesthetic - I mean, not that it’s not neat, but if it was some kind of radio window, now _that_ would be very cool. :cool:

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014

There are still no leak 5.5" parts ever shown in any Chinese tech site. That means, most likely, it doesn't exist at all.

could it not be the larger phone is being produced in America?
im being serious not sarcastic, it is possible?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
could it not be the larger phone is being produced in America?
im being serious not sarcastic, it is possible?

I was thinking the same exact thing. Considering there have been no leaks of the 5.5" model leads me to believe:

- It doesn't exist
- It's actually being manufactured here in the US.

If it is the latter than kudos to Apple for creating more jobs in the US.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I was thinking the same exact thing. Considering there have been no leaks of the 5.5" model leads me to believe:

- It doesn't exist
- It's actually being manufactured here in the US.

If it is the latter than kudos to Apple for creating more jobs in the US.

Or 3. It's not entered full production yet, as it isn't set for release in September...

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
A separate Apple logo piece adds time and money to production. Seems odd Apple would go that route. I don't see how it improves the end product. And, unlike a Mac (any), the logo is usually obscured by a cover. So if the point is to make a prettier Apple logo it's a waste of Apple's $ for little return on investment.

It's obviously for some signal to pass through.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
On pay, it's all relative. I fully agree that Americans are paid more in general. But then talk about what things cost. How much is rent or a home in China? Food? Etc. Would an American not take a few hundred to share a picture of a product if they thought they could do it without any consequences? Didn't some Americans pay some guy $5K for a lost iPhone 4 prototype?

I think leaked pictures are easy anywhere, not easier from China than say- the U.S. Look at Snowden who is American and is apparently leaking much more important secrets than iPhone cases or parts. For what? He's getting paid nothing for leaking those secrets.

And you still didn't address the question I asked: Apparently, this protruding camera part is a leaked iPhone part. What iPhone 6 will have it?

Hahaha. Silly rabbit. An Apple factory in the US would have so much more security, it's insane. China is so much more likely to leak things.

P.S. I didn't bother responding to your previous, extreme dismantling of my previous quote toward you, because it would have been too much wasted effort, but just know I agree with nothing you said.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
iPhone = Current iPhone 5S
iPhone Air = 4.7" iPhone 6
iPhone Pro = 5.5" iPhone 6 (faster processor, larger screen, better camera).

Calling it now.

Who exactly would be the target audience for the iPhone Pro?

The serious professional smart phone user?

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Who exactly would be the target audience for the iPhone Pro?

The serious professional smart phone user?

Yeah the serious professional because all of them want that 5.5" screen, dear god, they couldn't do it on the 4.7" screen.

If Apple names the 5.5" iPhone Pro that's when I'll become a marketeer specifically to be hired by Apple, rise in power so my decisions matter, and fix their awful marketing. Sorta like one of those feel good success stories of someone becoming a groundbreaking cancer researcher after someone close to them was affected by it.

----------

I'm more inclined to believe there is no 5.5" iPhone over Apple releasing 2 new iPhones months apart from each other.

Except they aren't two new iPhones, they're one new iPhone with two new screen sizes.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Bingo! Apple outsourced to my company here in the US, but we’re small so we can only build one phone a day. Not to worry, we’ll have about 100 ready for launch!

You have a better explanation? I'd love to hear an intelligent response.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's obviously for some signal to pass through.

Perhaps, but stating "obviously" presumes this is real. I'm not prepared to go that far. Apple has engineered more economical ways to push out the signal in the past 6 generations. I'm just asking questions -- a healthy dose of skepticism rather than blind faith given the nature of the reports here.

danakin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
Hmm...I don't remember camera gate with any of the Samsung Galaxy phones or the Nokia Lumia 1020....or the iPod touch for that matter. The only place it seems to exist is this thread.

----------

Oh Rogifan, king or queen of the false analogy.
On a site called MacRumors; discussing an upcoming iPhone release - why would the offerings of Nokia and Samsumg have any bearing on the discussion? Are you that much of an Apple sycophant that every criticism needs to be defended; even if that defense is nonsensical?

To me, this decision to have a raised camera lens (if real), seems out of place with Apple's iPhone design language. Of course if Jony, who can make cloying videos about virtually anything, has chosen this direction, then he'll have to live with the good and bad press. Regardless of tech blog reaction, this iteration will sell in the millions.

All that being said, I'm not a fan of the design it it is indeed real.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Perhaps, but stating "obviously" presumes this is real. I'm not prepared to go that far. Apple has engineered more economical ways to push out the signal in the past 6 generations. I'm just asking questions -- a healthy dose of skepticism rather than blind faith given the nature of the reports here.
I don't think they'd do it for purely aesthetic reasons, considering the way they were doing it, it looked perfectly fine.

----------

----------

Oh Rogifan, king or queen of the false analogy.
On a site called MacRumors; discussing an upcoming iPhone release - why would the offerings of Nokia and Samsumg have any bearing on the discussion? Are you that much of an Apple sycophant that every criticism needs to be defended; even if that defense is nonsensical?

To me, this decision to have a raised camera lens (if real), seems out of place with Apple's iPhone design language. Of course if Jony, who can make cloying videos about virtually anything, has chosen this direction, then he'll have to live with the good and bad press. Regardless of tech blog reaction, this iteration will sell in the millions.

All that being said, I'm not a fan of the design it it is indeed real.

If you're not a fan of the aesthetic that's one thing, but people thinking it matters when you lay it down are simply ridiculous. At least 98% of people don't lay their iPhone down to use it. Also as a rule, if you use a case (not you but in general), you can't complain about it .

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
5.5"?

Well, it is the iPhone that I always wanted. It's a shame that I'm just still a student.

Thank god I have 2 kidneys, maybe I should just sell one :)

Please No!
I really feel bad for the guy that inspired this joke.
And all for an iPad 1.

:(

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
English accent: " We thought long and hard about the ergonomics of our new Iphone 6. Certainly, the camera module is presented a fraction above the rear housing, but we did this for a reason. Let me introduce this accessory, ( he holds up a small pad with two similar metal rings ). This is the result of years of research. It is the IBalancer. When you place your phone face down on a table, this device forms a perfect isosoceles triangle with the camera ring, thus protecting your furniture. It is milled from a single ingot of 2037 Aluminium. And it will be available today!!! Thank you."

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
English accent: " We thought long and hard about the ergonomics of our new Iphone 6. Certainly, the camera module is presented a fraction above the rear housing, but we did this for a reason. Let me introduce this accessory, ( he holds up a small pad with two similar metal rings ). This is the result of years of research. It is the IBalancer. When you place your phone face down on a table, this device forms a perfect isosoceles triangle with the camera ring, thus protecting your furniture. It is milled from a single ingot of 2037 Aluminium. And it will be available today!!! Thank you."

Also add in same accent

"We sculpted the Apple logo on the back from liquid metal not to allow for betta antenna reception but in case you get bored you can scratch the logo and watch it heal itself".

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Wait... The... Lens pops out of the rear shell.... WHAT!?

Talk about sacrificing practicality over a sleek design.. Laying this on every surface will be a pain.

What do you mean by "sleek design"? I don't see this.

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
1.If the body gets too thin the camera lens has to protrude. The lens needs a certain distance based on the size of the sensor for the optics to work properly.

2. My guess is that the protruding lens ring is metal (steel) and Apple will play this up by offering magnetic attachment lenses that wrap around that ring. If that is true then both the 4.7" and 5.5" models will have that raised ring.

That to me just seems like something Apple would do, turn a disadvantage into an advantage.

3. Apple will sell nice leather/silicon cases for these phones which will make the ring flush with the case so the phones can lay flat. But they will have a big enough opening for the camera so you can use the add-on magnetic lenses.

And selling lenses (e.g. fish eye) for $59 dollars each which can be mounted on the protruding camera would bring in huge revenue streams.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
And selling lenses (e.g. fish eye) for $59 dollars each which can be mounted on the protruding camera would bring in huge revenue streams.

Apple likes to get in on markets that are underdeveloped. Consider how much the iPhone camera is used and how few add-on lenses are available/marketed/advertised. This is definitely something Apple can swoop in on and take advantage of since this market is so undersaturated at the moment.

Sell them at Apple stores
Advertise them on their iPhone commercials

It will give iPhones a distinct advantage/feature that other smartphones don't have. At least according to most of the public. Definitely a way for them to turn what would at first seem like a disadvantage (protruding lens) into a feature people will want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.